The Purpose of Junior Football ?

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Allouette
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

The Purpose of Junior Football ?

Post by Allouette »

Morning,

Spent Sunday morning watching a couple of JPL games this weekend or rather that was what I intended.

Actually spent most of my time watching an endless procession of time wasting, cynical tackles, ball being kicked away into the trees ( with no spare ball available ?), multiple single substitutions taking up to 2 minutes each time, a complete master class of how to tie your shoelaces when you're about to take a free kick including on one occasion three different players queuing up to take the same kick and each one stopping to tie their laces...

I could perhaps understand this if we were talking the Grand Final with 5 minutes to go at senior level but this began after 5 minutes into the game with a 1 goal lead.

I thought the intention in Junior football was to teach the kids how to play the game , or is this now how soccer is meant to be played, and taught?

In this age group is it really so desperate for some coaches to get a win that they adopt this win at all costs approach?

All responses welcome....

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: The Purpose of Junior Football ?

Post by fball12 »

Yes I have seen the same behaviour repeatedly at Under 13 level.

Even the referees get sucked in by this behaviour and do nothing about it. The refs should stamp it out and not get fooled by players and yellow card the offenders if necessary.

U11's and below the clubs should receive reminder advice from FFSA to the coaches & clubs to cut out un-sportsman like behaviour.

mancity
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by mancity »

The time wasting is becoming increasingly frustrating and I can't believe the coaches condone it.
I would love to see a rule brought in where you are not able to make a sub in the last 5 minutes of the game unless a player is seriously injured.
There is no added time in junior football so if a sub was made for injury in the last 5 minutes this time would be added on and only for this reason.
Im just not a fan of the time wasting late in a game.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

mancity wrote:The time wasting is becoming increasingly frustrating and I can't believe the coaches condone it.
I would love to see a rule brought in where you are not able to make a sub in the last 5 minutes of the game unless a player is seriously injured.
There is no added time in junior football so if a sub was made for injury in the last 5 minutes this time would be added on and only for this reason.
Im just not a fan of the time wasting late in a game.

I share some of your worries. here is an ideia:

u12s - u17s:
1) Max 5 subs allowed all game.
2) 2 subs half time compulsory.
3) first half subs only in case of injury and no return into game.

Balls issue: ref should have 3 balls given before kick off. home team responsable to have the remain two always available. i guess its already similar way but no one cares.

u11s down:
1) stop throw ins, kick ins instead.
2) bigger penalty box
3) 3 x 15m games, subs in between. unless injury.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Allouette wrote:Morning,

Spent Sunday morning watching a couple of JPL games this weekend or rather that was what I intended.

Actually spent most of my time watching an endless procession of time wasting, cynical tackles, ball being kicked away into the trees ( with no spare ball available ?), multiple single substitutions taking up to 2 minutes each time, a complete master class of how to tie your shoelaces when you're about to take a free kick including on one occasion three different players queuing up to take the same kick and each one stopping to tie their laces...

I could perhaps understand this if we were talking the Grand Final with 5 minutes to go at senior level but this began after 5 minutes into the game with a 1 goal lead.

I thought the intention in Junior football was to teach the kids how to play the game , or is this now how soccer is meant to be played, and taught?

In this age group is it really so desperate for some coaches to get a win that they adopt this win at all costs approach?

What teams were playing- put up or shut up

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Slide Tackle »

kevinkeegan wrote:

^^^ This ^^^

Allouette
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Allouette »

Slide Tackle wrote:
kevinkeegan wrote:

^^^ This ^^^
Thanks 'Kevin' & 'Slide' for your reasoned and considered contribution to the thread.

The purpose of the blog was to open debate and flag to the wider community the issue for discussion - not to name and/or shame. The coaches and team(s) in question know who they are.
To be clear these comments are not aimed at the players of any club but at the coaches responsible for promoting this behaviour and actively coaching it as part of the game - they certainly know who they are.
I'm not yet cynical enough to believe that 12/13/14 year olds adopt these tactics without being clearly instructed to do so - indeed one of the coaches involved admitted to this approach after the game.

Papou
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Papou »

I'm just going to play a :twisted: advocate here. Why can't learning how to win, be it through devious tactics or not, still be considered part of learning and understanding the game? People go on about about skill acquisition and developing a certain type of player on the ball but what about game sense? I witnessed an U14's defender (last man) drag my striker down who was clean through on goals with 10 minutes remaining locked at 2-2. Despite my frustration at the defender not being carded, he did what was necessary to ensure his team didn't lose. Well done to him...

IMO: referees need to be more critical and realistic in being aware of these thing and also handing out appropriate punishment, that too is part of the learning process.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Papou wrote:

I'm just going to play a :twisted: advocate here. Why can't learning how to win, be it through devious tactics or not, still be considered part of learning and understanding the game? People go on about about skill acquisition and developing a certain type of player on the ball but what about game sense? I witnessed an U14's defender (last man) drag my striker down who was clean through on goals with 10 minutes remaining locked at 2-2. Despite my frustration at the defender not being carded, he did what was necessary to ensure his team didn't lose. Well done to him...

IMO: referees need to be more critical and realistic in being aware of these thing and also handing out appropriate punishment, that too is part of the learning process.
Make sense. Though there would have to be no distinguishing of what is and is not allowed. Let each team/club officials decide for themselves what is allowed?

Diving, simulated fouls, professional fouls, sledging, stepping on toes, shirt pulling..... after all, many players at the professional level use these tactics to help their team win games. Now that winning is the main priority for many junior coaches and junior player parents, go the full hog; teach the kids whatever it takes to win. Survival of the strongest and dirtiest. It's been coming for a while, and I see no point in fighting it anymore. Too many team coaches are promoting it, so it must be right.

Papou
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Papou »

johnydep wrote:
Papou wrote:

Make sense. Though there would have to be no distinguishing of what is and is not allowed. Let each team/club officials decide for themselves what is allowed?

Diving, simulated fouls, professional fouls, sledging, stepping on toes, shirt pulling..... after all, many players at the professional level use these tactics to help their team win games. Now that winning is the main priority for many junior coaches and junior player parents, go the full hog; teach the kids whatever it takes to win. Survival of the strongest and dirtiest. It's been coming for a while, and I see no point in fighting it anymore. Too many team coaches are promoting it, so it must be right.

Realistically, these are common occurrence and all things that are not within the rules of the game (some a little more extreme than others). So... is it our job as coaches/parents/players to not allow players to explore tactics that they are guaranteed to come across or use themselves?? or, is it the referees job to make sure players understand the risk in taking such pro-winning measures?

The difference is, at a professional level referees often don't allow such actions to go unpunished.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Steve
Last edited by Stich This on Fri May 08, 2015 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

just like parents kicking the ball away when a kid goes to take a throw in.......its not just coaches with a win at all costs mentality.

its very easy to focus on 1 or 2 games you saw , overall I would say its pretty good out there- its almost gone to far with "everyones" a winner" mentality.

there is an art to keeping possession and winding down the clock its doesn't have to be frantic for 60mins.- there is a skill to changing the tempo of the game- controlling it.

Im yet to play an identical game twice in 30years...every week is different.

funny thing is coaches/parents/clubs may preach winning doesn't matter - but kids play to win - its up to us to teach them how to win by playing good football.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Not seen any of this in the games I have attended. BUT I have seen parents/coaches smoking and drinking on the sidelines which is hardly setting the right example.

OldGold
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OldGold »

Papou wrote:

Good points well made Papou, I agree.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

I suspect some holes in your story, not to mention the irony.
And be very careful what you say , as slander can be costly.
Already some are considering their options in the absence of an apology from one person in particular .

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Papou wrote:

And you're a coach are you? Spending time teaching kids devious tactics rather than skill acquisition?......give me strength!

Papou
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Papou »

magnet wrote:
Papou wrote:

And you're a coach are you? Spending time teaching kids devious tactics rather than skill acquisition?......give me strength!
Scepticism noted. Also, you have obviously read into my comment what you wanted. Professor.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

kevinkeegan wrote:

Steve -pot ,kettle, black
It was so much better before the EDIT! :lol:

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

magnet wrote:
Papou wrote:

Papou wrote: Professor.
Haven't seen that word used here for ages. Welcome back.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

It's part of the game & unfortuntely what youngsters are being taught sometimes on the field is unethical. We see this in professional football around the world.
I believe parents needs to be role models for kids after games being played like the one you're talking about. And what I mean by that is not to coach your kids, but teach them right from wrong.
When I was playing the game, if the opposing team didn't have enough players, some of us played for them. And we were happy too. We were happy to get on the park.

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

Sth Adelaide JSL 13s.

Were getting hammered and coach in 2nd half was subbing every minute virtually to avoid the scoreline getting bigger.

Should the team winning be punished - they just want to play soccer but couldn't as subs were just happening every 2nd minute virtually.

Temperance
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Temperance »

bigpond wrote:Sth Adelaide JSL 13s.

Were getting hammered and coach in 2nd half was subbing every minute virtually to avoid the scoreline getting bigger.

Should the team winning be punished - they just want to play soccer but couldn't as subs were just happening every 2nd minute virtually.

Oh boo hoo
Couldn't get little Johnny his double hat-trick and McDonalds for the ride home :clown:
How dare the coach not get hammered even more, it's not like his kids have feelings or anything :clown:

Seeing how you don't have trouble naming clubs, which club do you represent with your :clown: comments?

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

Temperance wrote:

Oh boo hoo
Couldn't get little Johnny his double hat-trick and McDonalds for the ride home :clown:
How dare the coach not get hammered even more, it's not like his kids have feelings or anything :clown:

Seeing how you don't have trouble naming clubs, which club do you represent with your :clown: comments?

My point is not the score line it is that the game became a shambles with subs every minute.

The team doesnt get to choose what div it plays in so should the team be denied just trying to have a game of football as it wasnt a game with subs every minute.

What is your suggestion then to combat this?

I am simply agreeing that teams are using subs for other purposes than what it is ment for.

On the contrary actually to what you were thinking that the team wanted more goals - what was encouraged was hanging onto the ball and playing to feet at all times and not just score goals when the opposition was not at the same level.

I understand when you play a weaker team it is not the teams fault but do you tell your players to play different and take the mickey - of course not as that is be-littling them more. You tell them to play the same and go in the same as going in half hearted can lead to injuries.

Simple answer in my opinion is limit number of subs to a reasonable number.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

This discussion about subs etc has all come about because of , lets say, a very dubious claim by
the initiator of this thread . Nothing wrong with the discussion per se, but please don't treat the initiator's claim as gospel. It's very frustrating when your son doesn't get much game time when playing for the dream team. This , I suspect is the reason for his initial rant.
Buddy, take it up with YOUR team's coach , afterall he did all the recruiting.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Temperance wrote:

Oh boo hoo

The silence is deafening.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

kevinkeegan wrote:
Temperance wrote:

Oh boo hoo

The silence is deafening.
Looking at the recent scorelines it will probably be Fulham

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Nice work magnet.

paraliticandroid
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by paraliticandroid »

bigpond wrote:
Temperance wrote:

Oh boo hoo

My point is not the score line it is that the game became a shambles with subs every minute.

The team doesnt get to choose what div it plays in so should the team be denied just trying to have a game of football as it wasnt a game with subs every minute.

What is your suggestion then to combat this?

I am simply agreeing that teams are using subs for other purposes than what it is ment for.

On the contrary actually to what you were thinking that the team wanted more goals - what was encouraged was hanging onto the ball and playing to feet at all times and not just score goals when the opposition was not at the same level.

I understand when you play a weaker team it is not the teams fault but do you tell your players to play different and take the mickey - of course not as that is be-littling them more. You tell them to play the same and go in the same as going in half hearted can lead to injuries.

Simple answer in my opinion is limit number of subs to a reasonable number.
If the team being hammered was making subs every 1-2 minutes that means that the team winning didn't have the quality to keep possession (therefore the ball in play). Are you telling us that every time the losing team got the ball they kicked it away so they could made a sub ? Is it possible that the coach was trying just to work out were would their players fit better in the pitch ?
Is very easy for people to make judgements about what they can see on a game, but there is a big difference to what people perceive and what coaches are trying to achieve and players execute.

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

i dont think making a sub every 1-2 minutes is positive for juniors and the parents that watch the game.

Its also crap for the referee.

As a referee its annoying as well.

Some clubs / teams are better then others and will make subs not to waste too much time. Eg when the ball has gone out and the keeper is fetching the ball or when the other team makes a sub they will do the same.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

who gives a toss, if a side is being belted then those players should consider a few things;
a) Am I good enough to play this game
b) Was the clubs best interest in the team or the cash it generates
c) Do you care

8-0 is nothing, my nephew was part of a team who beat a side many years ago 27-0, and more recently (now involved in senior football) beat a team 17-0 in a cup round. Sport has scorelines and sport is a competition, if you're not good enough then you should stick to kick to kick in the park. Yes it is harsh but as a parent if my child was poor I would do my best to convince them to try something else, and if that child didn't care then I would support them, and not complain about being flogged because it is what it is.

Bottom line suck it up or practice more.