2016 JPL Division 1

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: 2016 JPL Division 1

Post by Mrs Red »

What is the FFSA connection with Raiders?[/quote]

I can think of 3 raiders junior players that have parents that are on the FFSA books. (one being the head of the FFSA)

They have at least 2 junior coaches that are coaching ffsa teams also.

And then there is their TD that runs FFSA courses.

and that's just off the top of my head without thinking to hard.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Yep ..where Raiders are situated league and table wise will dictate wether any junior league restructure is implemented for 2017

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

So if the structure is going to stay the same how is promotion/relegation going to be sorted with the introduction of three new teams? Those three straight into JPL C and the FFSA select teams to get promoted/relegated ??

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

magnet wrote:So if the structure is going to stay the same how is promotion/relegation going to be sorted with the introduction of three new teams? Those three straight into JPL C and the FFSA select teams to get promoted/relegated ??
Those three straight into JPL C - yep

FFSA select teams to get promoted/relegated - and they can do this also if needed.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Mrs Red wrote:
magnet wrote:So if the structure is going to stay the same how is promotion/relegation going to be sorted with the introduction of three new teams? Those three straight into JPL C and the FFSA select teams to get promoted/relegated ??

FFSA select teams to get promoted/relegated - and they can do this also if needed.
It’s going to be a bit of a mess though.

Current U13’s is:
JPL A – 10 teams
JPL B – 8 teams
JPL C – 8 teams

I would assume they will have a structure of:
JPL A – 10 teams
JPL B – 10 teams
JPL C – 9 teams

With three teams going into the JPL C they will probably promote top two and leave JPL B as is.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

magnet wrote:
Mrs Red wrote:

It’s going to be a bit of a mess though.

Current U13’s is:
JPL A – 10 teams
JPL B – 8 teams
JPL C – 8 teams

I would assume they will have a structure of:
JPL A – 10 teams
JPL B – 10 teams
JPL C – 9 teams

With three teams going into the JPL C they will probably promote top two and leave JPL B as is.

FFSA will sort out the divisions as needed. The zonal U12 age group is only there to help the FFSA make the decisions who goes where. The same with the U13 to U17's in the end the FFSA can change what they like if they feel there is a need.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Doesn't the top team from JPL B get promoted to JPL A? Or has this changed now?

And the bottom team in JPL A get demoted to JPL B?

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

fball12 wrote:Doesn't the top team from JPL B get promoted to JPL A? Or has this changed now?

And the bottom team in JPL A get demoted to JPL B?
Yes generally but not always as the FFSA can alter things if needed ie if teams pull out say.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Reading this, am I right that a junior side will play in a division aligned with their senior sides division. If so, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

My son will play where he's happy. Happy with the players and the coach (assuming he's selected that is) but he should be playing at a level that is right for his side, not a side of people 10 years older than him.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Mrs Red wrote:U12 age groups are zonal and the U13 age group divisions are based on where your team finished in the U12 age groups the year before.
That sounds like exactly how it should be

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

God is an Englishman wrote:Reading this, am I right that a junior side will play in a division aligned with their senior sides division. If so, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of.

My son will play where he's happy. Happy with the players and the coach (assuming he's selected that is) but he should be playing at a level that is right for his side, not a side of people 10 years older than him.

I think you will find that the change that was meant to happen is now not going to happen. But that's still to be 100% confirmed.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

the FFSA need to do something because in my opinion the standard of junior football, junior coaches and club junior development programs continue to deteriorate. Majority of clubs fail to implement the national curriculum, or put ownership on their coaches to actually develop players. Some clubs are fortunate to have 1-2 highly skilled coaches who affect a small group of players, but i'd say only Raiders, Metro and Birkalla have genuine development programs. Cumberland and Campbelltown are also heading in the right direction. The rest are a long long way behind.

Kids deserve a lot better than what they're getting at most clubs and unfortunately parents (and players) lack the football knowledge to fully understand it. I'd be very interested to see the response of the FFSA and clubs if people like Declan Edge started setting up private academies over here and developing players.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

And why not Playford aren't you responsible for Playford in this area?

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Mrs Red wrote:And why not Playford aren't you responsible for Playford in this area?
Unfortunately not Mrs Red. I simply try my best to influence coaches and push them in the right direction - but i have no control over what they coach. Unfortunately there is no club wide development football program in place and coaches develop their individual teams as they see fit. A very common occurrence at most clubs.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

matty2323 wrote:
Mrs Red wrote:And why not Playford aren't you responsible for Playford in this area?
Unfortunately not Mrs Red. I simply try my best to influence coaches and push them in the right direction - but i have no control over what they coach. Unfortunately there is no club wide development football program in place and coaches develop their individual teams as they see fit. A very common occurrence at most clubs.
Almost sounds like your not happy and you might be looking for other options in the future. (maybe where you can be heard?)

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Mrs Red wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
Almost sounds like your not happy and you might be looking for other options in the future. (maybe where you can be heard?)
Im not happy with junior development statewide, let alone at my club. Not being happy is what drives me to continue to try and affect change in the development process. All clubs have fantastic volunteers who are great administrators, but unfortunately very few have football knowledge. Its good to see clubs like Adelaide City finally appointing Football directors (with football knowledge) to oversee their football department and football programs. Hopefully more and more clubs continue to fall in line.

Mrs Red
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Mrs Red »

very few have football knowledge - very few is a bit harsh IMO Im sure all the volunteer junior football coaches have a certain amount of football knowledge

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Mrs Red wrote:very few have football knowledge - very few is a bit harsh IMO Im sure all the volunteer junior football coaches have a certain amount of football knowledge
My lack of football knowledge was actually directed towards club administration. Its why clubs appoint Technical directors.

I commend all volunteer coaches for their intent, but i feel few posses the actual football knowledge it takes to develop elite footballers. Most will have played the game (in a different era) and understand football, but its takes a lot more to develop players. Hopefully this will change as more and more coaches get exposed to advanced pathway programs like the C-License.

The current game training license is very inadequate.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

matty2323 wrote:the FFSA need to do something because in my opinion the standard of junior football, junior coaches and club junior development programs continue to deteriorate. Majority of clubs fail to implement the national curriculum, or put ownership on their coaches to actually develop players. Some clubs are fortunate to have 1-2 highly skilled coaches who affect a small group of players, but i'd say only Raiders, Metro and Birkalla have genuine development programs. Cumberland and Campbelltown are also heading in the right direction. The rest are a long long way behind.

Kids deserve a lot better than what they're getting at most clubs and unfortunately parents (and players) lack the football knowledge to fully understand it. I'd be very interested to see the response of the FFSA and clubs if people like Declan Edge started setting up private academies over here and developing players.

I must have missed the conveyor belt of Australian talent back in the day. Deteriorated from what exactly?

juventus 70
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by juventus 70 »

matty2323 wrote:the FFSA need to do something because in my opinion the standard of junior football, junior coaches and club junior development programs continue to deteriorate. Majority of clubs fail to implement the national curriculum, or put ownership on their coaches to actually develop players. Some clubs are fortunate to have 1-2 highly skilled coaches who affect a small group of players, but i'd say only Raiders, Metro and Birkalla have genuine development programs. Cumberland and Campbelltown are also heading in the right direction. The rest are a long long way behind.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Pie and Bovril wrote:

I must have missed the conveyor belt of Australian talent back in the day. Deteriorated from what exactly?
I was a junior in the FFSA 15 years ago now, and every weekend i see the exact same football being played that i used to play. The problem is back then tall, physical, direct football was the standard. We were dominated by the English game. The modern game has moved a long way away from that and so has Australia's way of play (especially at National level with teams like Roar, Victory and AU and international level under Ange). The curriculum has been around for 5-10 years now so coaches and clubs really have no excuse.

Personally i think a lot of potential footballers have been let down by clubs and coaches.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

matty2323 wrote:
Pie and Bovril wrote:

I was a junior in the FFSA 15 years ago now, and every weekend i see the exact same football being played that i used to play. The problem is back then tall, physical, direct football was the standard. We were dominated by the English game. The modern game has moved a long way away from that and so has Australia's way of play (especially at National level with teams like Roar, Victory and AU and international level under Ange). The curriculum has been around for 5-10 years now so coaches and clubs really have no excuse.

Personally i think a lot of potential footballers have been let down by clubs and coaches.
I think that subliminal messaging was rife during the 80's & 90's :lol:

My brother in-law is a mad Oxford United fan. Last month I watched a video with him of the Oxford highlights from the mid 80's. I was very impressed with the quality of play, very few "long ball" play and when it was played long it added to the enjoyment of watching.

I was surprised, because as a kid I was told about how bad English football was with the "long ball".

Football can not be boxed into some ready made plan. Training does play a part in the development of a player, but the biggest factor in a players talent is the player themselves - mentality, enjoyment, play/practice (playing with mates), being part of a football culture (going to games), etc.

The problem can not be boxed into a blame game of training or the administration. Yes those things can be improved which will flow onto better football and players, we need to look at the whole picture.

How can Australia produce better and more players? One way is show that there is some sort of personal future in staying involved in the game.

We're asking kids to train 3, 4 and 5 days per week. For what? Be realistic. Most kids end up realising, with the help of family, that good school grades are required to be able to find a more doable dream - get a vocation that they enjoy. Only a small percentage of football playing kids will make a career out of the sport, and most of those are the ones you see at senior match games more often than not.

Look at the kids that go to your senior games, concentrate on their development. They're the ones that are showing you their commitment. Educate the rest of the players and their parents on how important it is for their development to be part of a football culture, that includes being at senior games. This is part of their development.

So instead of bagging the people that try their hardest to improve the game, for little reward and recognition, join a football clubs committee and start working on a plan that works and implement it.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

matty2323 wrote:
Mrs Red wrote:very few have football knowledge - very few is a bit harsh IMO Im sure all the volunteer junior football coaches have a certain amount of football knowledge
My lack of football knowledge was actually directed towards club administration. Its why clubs appoint Technical directors.

I commend all volunteer coaches for their intent, but i feel few posses the actual football knowledge it takes to develop elite footballers. Most will have played the game (in a different era) and understand football, but its takes a lot more to develop players. Hopefully this will change as more and more coaches get exposed to advanced pathway programs like the C-License.

The current game training license is very inadequate.
Everyone should do one of the courses run by the FFSA. You get to attend three Saturday's in which you watch a man play with his iPad - it's laughable.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

johnydep wrote:
I think that subliminal messaging was rife during the 80's & 90's :lol:

My brother in-law is a mad Oxford United fan. Last month I watched a video with him of the Oxford highlights from the mid 80's. I was very impressed with the quality of play, very few "long ball" play and when it was played long it added to the enjoyment of watching.

I was surprised, because as a kid I was told about how bad English football was with the "long ball".

Football can not be boxed into some ready made plan. Training does play a part in the development of a player, but the biggest factor in a players talent is the player themselves - mentality, enjoyment, play/practice (playing with mates), being part of a football culture (going to games), etc.

The problem can not be boxed into a blame game of training or the administration. Yes those things can be improved which will flow onto better football and players, we need to look at the whole picture.

How can Australia produce better and more players? One way is show that there is some sort of personal future in staying involved in the game.

We're asking kids to train 3, 4 and 5 days per week. For what? Be realistic. Most kids end up realising, with the help of family, that good school grades are required to be able to find a more doable dream - get a vocation that they enjoy. Only a small percentage of football playing kids will make a career out of the sport, and most of those are the ones you see at senior match games more often than not.

Look at the kids that go to your senior games, concentrate on their development. They're the ones that are showing you their commitment. Educate the rest of the players and their parents on how important it is for their development to be part of a football culture, that includes being at senior games. This is part of their development.

So instead of bagging the people that try their hardest to improve the game, for little reward and recognition, join a football clubs committee and start working on a plan that works and implement it.
Haha i grew up with Hesky and Owen! 4-4-2. Hit your full backs, pump it long and win that 2nd ball. we were athletes, not footballers.

I think coaches are responsible for the motivation you talk about, and clubs are responsible for providing the pathways that allow kids to see their future in the game. I understand only a small percent of kids make it (and that's where the intangibles come in to it - personal attitude, commitment, desire etc) but we should be doing better with our kids.

I've watched alot of SSGs and some of the 7-8 year olds ive seen hold up against the kids ive seen in elite academies in Europe. Its whats happening between 12-17 that is where we're letting ourselves down. Thats where i believe junior coaching needs to improve. We're obsessed with Hard Skills and we've forgotten the soft skills required to play the game.

Im not bagging anybody Johnny, I think the administrators all do a fantastic job at their clubs. What im saying is that our main service as federation clubs is to provide an elite standard of coaching to make it as a footballer. Kids shouldn't be at these clubs to just play football, they should be there to be footballers (that's my opinion anyways). Clubs just need to make more of an effort to employ people with football knowledge (like AC have with Serge) so that the football department and the football programs are up to standards... after all, we're football clubs.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Decision on next years JPL structure looming.
Just awaiting confirming of bottom 4 next week in the NPL and then they know the parameters .

betterahead
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by betterahead »

kevinkeegan wrote:Decision on next years JPL structure looming.
Just awaiting confirming of bottom 4 next week in the NPL and then they know the parameters .
Know for sure or speculating?
Thought they had announced it at the AGM the other week?

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

So its ok if Modbury, Para Hills, White City and Pirates are in the bottom 4?

They can go down a division, but not if its Raiders? Is that the understanding of those in the know?

Modbury, Pirates and Para Hills have some of the strongest Juniors. That makes no sense pushing their Juniors down IMO.

It makes a mockery of the whole competition that it is discussed in this manner.

And NO I'm not from one of the those bottom clubs.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

fball12 wrote:

They can go down a division, but not if its Raiders? Is that the understanding of those in the know?

Modbury, Pirates and Para Hills have some of the strongest Juniors. That makes no sense pushing their Juniors down IMO.

It makes a mockery of the whole competition that it is discussed in this manner.

Put yourself in Cumberland's shoes! Every single one of their junior teams is in the current JPL A League. If the Senior team do not gain promotion each Junior team automatically get moved down a division. I understand the theory behind it but surely they'd gain more from having competitive games week on week.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
fball12 wrote:

Put yourself in Cumberland's shoes! Every single one of their junior teams is in the current JPL A League. If the Senior team do not gain promotion each Junior team automatically get moved down a division. I understand the theory behind it but surely they'd gain more from having competitive games week on week.
If Cumberland's Juniors get pushed down to JPL B divisions then some of their teams will win 20-0 every week...

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

fball12 wrote:

Out of curiosity what are making that judgement on? League Positions of their junior teams? style of play? players they're producing?