Has the standard of U18's gone backwards

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Has the standard of U18's gone backwards

Post by fossil »

What about a similar scenario for the player that stays with the club, does the hard yards and shows commitment & passion for the club. Shouldn't he/she be given opportunities? Regardless that he is being age discriminated at 17-18?

:wink:[/quote]

haha. he was only gone for 12 rounds ;)

Given we lack huge amounts of depth at the club, i think for the foreseeable we will always welcome back players to the club - im talking about the ones who were long serving juniors etc. I for one would openly welcome back the likes of Daniel Pritchard, Elvis Kamsoba etc. My honest opinion is that the returning player hasn't taken anyone's position given our current situation.[/quote]

DP was not the product of your club as such as he was more than capable when he arrived from E&D system and took his chances when they were offered so your club was more a stepping stone where as you are suggesting you want to make players from juniors to seniors, If you believe in your system then you will (and do) have capable players of stepping up given the chance but it may be you who is holding them back for bringing other players in regardless if they were there with you before, have they peaked, stayed the same or gone backwards in ability and performance to what you have after they left?

if you answer stayed or gone backwards then sorry you failed your system as any move away from your club should be one that is better for the player (although they may have to work at it harder than ever before) and if not you have given them an easy ride and diluted your club and ethos while just checking your results the movements do not appear to be going from a lower level to a higher one to challenge a players ability, it seems just to be a player / club taking a safe option on what they know but not risking the next hidden gem under your feet.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

fossil wrote:What about a similar scenario for the player that stays with the club, does the hard yards and shows commitment & passion for the club. Shouldn't he/she be given opportunities? Regardless that he is being age discriminated at 17-18?

:wink:
matty2323 wrote:
haha. he was only gone for 12 rounds ;)

Given we lack huge amounts of depth at the club, i think for the foreseeable we will always welcome back players to the club - im talking about the ones who were long serving juniors etc. I for one would openly welcome back the likes of Daniel Pritchard, Elvis Kamsoba etc. My honest opinion is that the returning player hasn't taken anyone's position given our current situation.
fossil wrote: DP was not the product of your club as such as he was more than capable when he arrived from E&D system and took his chances when they were offered so your club was more a stepping stone where as you are suggesting you want to make players from juniors to seniors, If you believe in your system then you will (and do) have capable players of stepping up given the chance but it may be you who is holding them back for bringing other players in regardless if they were there with you before, have they peaked, stayed the same or gone backwards in ability and performance to what you have after they left?

if you answer stayed or gone backwards then sorry you failed your system as any move away from your club should be one that is better for the player (although they may have to work at it harder than ever before) and if not you have given them an easy ride and diluted your club and ethos while just checking your results the movements do not appear to be going from a lower level to a higher one to challenge a players ability, it seems just to be a player / club taking a safe option on what they know but not risking the next hidden gem under your feet.
im sorry, i dont really understand the comments you're making. You lost me when you said E&D were capable of producing talent these days. That hasn't happened in about 15-20 years.

As for the rest, i cant think of any players at the club who i personally haven't given an opportunity too this season in the Reserve side. At Least 90% of the u18s has had reserve games and at least 90% reserve side has had first team games. Players from our 17s, 16s and 15s have all have U18s games. Plenty of opportunity being given to the players at the club..

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

The problem is that some youngsters (the better players of 16-18yr olds) are being placed into 1st team squads because of point systems. So 1st team coaches keep their point down, which allows the certain coach/committe members(who think they know football & haven't the darkest idea, and have kids/relations playing or vested interest) but I won't go there as man get offended by the truth... Buy visa, and older experienced players. As a few clubs are doing ATM
Some of these lads are not ready, not handled properly, or treated properly. A small minority are, but I'm talking majority.
I beleive all lads should be playing in there age groups. This makes a better comp, and then bought up to play 1st team. (From the 18's- not reasies) and then go back to 18's the week after.
Would upset some ressies but too bad...
But at the moment, in today's ffsa structure, 16-19yr olds think they're 1st team material...
AND 90% of those lads ARE certainly NOT

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Given we lack huge amounts of depth at the club, i think for the foreseeable we will always welcome back players to the club - im talking about the ones who were long serving juniors etc. I for one would openly welcome back the likes of Daniel Pritchard, Elvis Kamsoba etc. My honest opinion is that the returning player hasn't taken anyone's position given our current situation.[/quote]
fossil wrote: DP was not the product of your club as such as he was more than capable when he arrived from E&D system and took his chances when they were offered so your club was more a stepping stone where as you are suggesting you want to make players from juniors to seniors, If you believe in your system then you will (and do) have capable players of stepping up given the chance but it may be you who is holding them back for bringing other players in regardless if they were there with you before, have they peaked, stayed the same or gone backwards in ability and performance to what you have after they left?

im sorry, i dont really understand the comments you're making. You lost me when you said E&D were capable of producing talent these days. That hasn't happened in about 15-20 years.

you raised Daniel Pritchard and was highlighting the fact he joined your club at 15-16 and was more than capable from day 1 and not a developed player you or your club produced, your club was a stepping stone and with today's process he would have kicked many of the 1st team out on that 1st day (maybe even your spot :wink: ) but back then it was still the old boy's crap of keeping them (older players or the like) at the club regardless of ability and it always made sure of spots if family were on the committee or club sponsors.
thank goodness for the coach who offered the chance for anyone to try 1st team and not hold onto the past, pitty he only stayed for that short period.

Pie and Bovril
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Pie and Bovril »

Spana100 wrote:Its like watching U15's!!!!!

Not very good.
I watched an U18 game on the weekend. The standard was really poor and the players very young. Players pushed way too quickly in my opinion.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Pie and Bovril wrote:
Spana100 wrote:Its like watching U15's!!!!!

Not very good.
I watched an U18 game on the weekend. The standard was really poor and the players very young. Players pushed way too quickly in my opinion.
I watched a pretty good one.

The issue is more that if a player is deemed good quality at 17 or 18, he should be playing higher, simple as that.

Clubs are working out that younger players at around 15-16 if showing enough promise, they can be pushed up to test the waters and playing 18's is a good start.

We've adopted that approach for a while now and whilst it will never be perfect, we have unearthed talent that have played senior football way before their time, so to speak.
Ignore this signature

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Bomber wrote:I watched a pretty good one.

The issue is more that if a player is deemed good quality at 17 or 18, he should be playing higher, simple as that.

Clubs are working out that younger players at around 15-16 if showing enough promise, they can be pushed up to test the waters and playing 18's is a good start.

We've adopted that approach for a while now and whilst it will never be perfect, we have unearthed talent that have played senior football way before their time, so to speak.
That's a fair summary. The fact that there are now less 16-JPL teams than 17-JPL teams tells us that the 18's teams are getting younger.

Redflag1
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Redflag1 »

matty2323 wrote:
Chelsie Dawber, Young Matildas, Adelaide United, Adelaide City
Bailey Truscott, Para Hills.

I'm sure there would be more.