No birth certificate should mean no play

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

No birth certificate should mean no play

Post by hurlcrook »

Certain clubs are making a mockery of the juniors comp.
One club has 3 players without adequate docs, conveniently perhaps.
This club will stop at nothing after an ordinary season in 2014.
The FFSA should be more vigilant.
If these want to play , they should submit to age-testing.
Otherwise stay home or play in the local park .

Patriots BC
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Re: No birth certificate should mean no play

Post by Patriots BC »

100 % agree:
Its a joke and not good for our great code!

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Birth certificates are mandatory!

If parents can't provide one then the child can't play. Simple.

FFSA be responsible, perform your duty and enforce this basic but critical rule in the Juniors Comp.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

at what point of the registration process are you required to show your childs birth certificate?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

If I was coaching against a team that had players in that situation it wouldn't change a thing as isn't the point of the juniors to improve your own players?
If clubs want to do that then good on them, just keep working on your players and make them better players, job done.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

magnet wrote:at what point of the registration process are you required to show your childs birth certificate?
The first time a child is registered to play in a FFSA Juniors team, parents are required to provide a valid and legitimate birth certificate document.

An official of the club is supposed to view an original birth certificate. A copy of the original is supposed to be provided to the FFSA offices.

Are some saying only some parents and their children have to follow correct process?
Do we live in Australia or some backward third world country where no rules apply?

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

west_ham wrote:
magnet wrote:at what point of the registration process are you required to show your childs birth certificate?
The first time a child is registered to play in a FFSA Juniors team, parents are required to provide a valid and legitimate birth certificate document.

An official of the club is supposed to view an original birth certificate. A copy of the original is supposed to be provided to the FFSA offices.

Are some saying only some parents and their children have to follow correct process?
Do we live in Australia or some backward third world country where no rules apply?
I think that process was before the Myfootballclub days. According to that you register via the website and only players who are new to the club require proof of ID be shown to the club. There is nothing on there that says anything has to be provided to the FFSA.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

magnet wrote:
west_ham wrote:

I think that process was before the Myfootballclub days. According to that you register via the website and only players who are new to the club require proof of ID be shown to the club. There is nothing on there that says anything has to be provided to the FFSA.
Last season I had to provide a valid birth certificate for my youngest child. The original had to be cited by an official of the club and also was required to register on the myfootball club web site.

Proof of Id does not necessarily prove how old you are, only a birth certificate or equivalent will.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

west_ham wrote:
Proof of Id does not necessarily prove how old you are, only a birth certificate or equivalent will.

I am in the third year with my club and not once been asked for any sort of ID proving age of my child. When you register your child online you put his date of birth in and I can't see any scenario where a parent would lie about their age.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

magnet wrote:
west_ham wrote:

I am in the third year with my club and not once been asked for any sort of ID proving age of my child. When you register your child online you put his date of birth in and I can't see any scenario where a parent would lie about their age.
So it seems clubs are operating under different rules for proof of age and registration.

Can someone in FFSA provide the rule for this process?

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

There’s players wearing duplicate numbers, teams turning up with different style shirts and JPL clubs who still don’t have eleven players. The FFSA is a micky mouse organization who have no grasp on the basic issues let alone delving into issue such as birth certificates.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Not all people have birth certificates, what if you are a refugee from a country that doesn't have birth certificates or you forgot to pick it up as you were fleeing for your life.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

God is an Englishman wrote:Not all people have birth certificates, what if you are a refugee from a country that doesn't have birth certificates or you forgot to pick it up as you were fleeing for your life.
99% of players should be able to produce a birth certificate or equivalent document. So no excuse.

The other 1% may have to prove age some other way - don't ask me how. There must be some scientific method.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

west_ham wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Not all people have birth certificates, what if you are a refugee from a country that doesn't have birth certificates or you forgot to pick it up as you were fleeing for your life.
99% of players should be able to produce a birth certificate or equivalent document. So no excuse.

The other 1% may have to prove age some other way - don't ask me how. There must be some scientific method.

Your ruling (sorry, Hurlcrook's ruling) has fallen at the first hurdle. You've not really thought this through.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

God is an Englishman wrote:
west_ham wrote:

Your ruling (sorry, Hurlcrook's ruling) has fallen at the first hurdle. You've not really thought this through.
What % would you estimate are refugees playing juniors football?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

west_ham wrote:What % would you estimate are refugees playing juniors football?

1.5% - according to the suggested ruling, they cannot play. Is that fair?

Or are you suggesting a different ruling for some people?

otto62
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by otto62 »

magnet wrote:
west_ham wrote:

Quite regularly on the bus.
I'm not playing anymore and I'm taking my ball and going home.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

So are you suggesting not to bother checking ages at all?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

west_ham wrote:

So are you suggesting not to bother checking ages at all?

No, I am suggesting that the method suggested doesn't work.

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

Most kids whether born here or new arrivals should have a birth certificate and in fact in six years involved in junior football from 2006-2011 (three more years after that as mates with the junior coordinator) - never came across one that didn't.

You may find hurlcrap is making stuff up again. It wouldn't be the first time.

However it would appear that the FFSA's loosening of requirements is causing a bit too much doubt and angst.
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Valid point.
Should we exclude them from playing the sport they love simply for being refugees.
Give them a break , please. If only we could be more humane in our thoughts.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

kevinkeegan wrote:
Valid point.
Should we exclude them from playing the sport they love simply for being refugees.
Give them a break , please. If only we could be more humane in our thoughts.
Apparently some want to if they can't produce their birth certificate. I am merely showing how it can't work.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

This post is not about refugees.

It's about all junior players requiring proof of age - birth certificate or other documentation.

I'd say most players would have been born in Australia and should be able to produce some proof of age documentation.

Focusing on the exceptions that have no proof for whatever reason is just straying from the original argument completely.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

west_ham wrote:This post is not about refugees.

It's about all junior players requiring proof of age - birth certificate or other documentation.

I'd say most players would have been born in Australia and should be able to produce some proof of age documentation.

Focusing on the exceptions that have no proof for whatever reason is just straying from the original argument completely.
I'm still struggling to find anything in the FFSA competition rules or the Myfootballclub registration which says a birth certificate is required.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No, the point was that everyone would have to produce a birth certificate. I produced a credible example of someone who might not have a birth certificate. It's not my fault that you have no answer to that.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

No, the point was that everyone would have to produce a birth certificate. I produced a credible example of someone who might not have a birth certificate. It's not my fault that you have no answer to that.
Yes just aim for that minute fraction of the juniors population to prove your very weak point.

You have no idea of how many are in the situation of genuinely not being able to produce a birth certificate or equivalent.

If a club can check the ages of 99% of its juniors, then it should. They only need to check their age the first time they register with their club.

At the moment there seems to be no checking - by some clubs anyway.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

west_ham wrote:

Yes just aim for that minute fraction of the juniors population to prove your very weak point.

You have no idea of how many are in the situation of genuinely not being able to produce a birth certificate or equivalent.

If a club can check the ages of 99% of its juniors, then it should. They only need to check their age the first time they register with their club.

At the moment there seems to be no checking - by some clubs anyway.

So, you want some to be checked but not others? That's a pretty poor system.

Surely the ones that lie about their age would also be prepared to lie about their birth certificate being available.

If a player is born overseas, it may take months to make his birth certificate available if it's been lost.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

I suppose if someone makes the Skilleroos (State under 13s, 14s) or NTC team they still don't have to prove their age?

How is that fair on the others that miss out?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

west_ham wrote:I suppose if someone makes the Skilleroos (State under 13s, 14s) or NTC team they still don't have to prove their age?

How is that fair on the others that miss out?

So, you want some to be checked but not others? That's a pretty poor system.