What to do when your opposition has only 9 players?

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Sven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

What to do when your opposition has only 9 players?

Post by Sven »

What do you do when your opposition only has 9 players?

Our opponent had 3 players pull out on the morning of the game leaving them with only 9 players.

Half way through the game they lost another player to injury leaving them with only 8 players on the field.

Do we have any flexibility to lend the opposition players by agreement between the teams or is that against the rules?

Our coach showed no remorse and we smashed this team. As a parent I thought this was very unsporting. Our opponent did their best and it was good of them to play the game and not forfeit.

For example should we have changed the way we played when the scoreline was 10-0? How could we do that?

I would like to make a suggestion to our coach on how he could have better handled this situation.

kamikaze
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: What to do when your opposition has only 9 players?

Post by kamikaze »

I suggest u get a new coach

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

This is club football, not school football and therefore no lending of players. Clubs should have 15-16 man squads.

Sven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Sven »

magnet wrote:This is club football, not school football and therefore no lending of players. Clubs should have 15-16 man squads.
Their team manager said they were missing a total of 6 players for the game and were caught short because 3 dropped out on the morning of the game.

TexScot
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by TexScot »

Depends on what age group also?

jimmy2014
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by jimmy2014 »

once a "safe" score (5-0) is attained the coach could reduce the numbers of players you have on the pitch to balance the numbers and just rotate players to give everyone an even go.
Giving the GK a run on the pitch is always nice (I'm sure Merson liked having a go at scoring against Scotch and the like in round 1 cup games of years gone by).

These games aren't great value, so have fun and don't humiliate the opposition if possible.

charlieadelaide
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by charlieadelaide »

this has been brought up before on other forums, all junior games should be capped at 9 nil (if in front by more than 5 goals) if this cannot be done then the team in front should go back to the keeper every time they win possession of the ball, and not score any more goals, if your coach cannot do this then get rid of him................you cannot give them players unless the game has been forfeited due to lack of players (which I think is eight)
Let the kids play possession football all game, this will improve their skills immensely

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Sven wrote:What do you do when your opposition only has 9 players?

Our opponent had 3 players pull out on the morning of the game leaving them with only 9 players.

Half way through the game they lost another player to injury leaving them with only 8 players on the field.

Do we have any flexibility to lend the opposition players by agreement between the teams or is that against the rules?

Our coach showed no remorse and we smashed this team. As a parent I thought this was very unsporting. Our opponent did their best and it was good of them to play the game and not forfeit.

For example should we have changed the way we played when the scoreline was 10-0? How could we do that?

I would like to make a suggestion to our coach on how he could have better handled this situation.
Looking at the tables there were some obvious anomalies, for instance one junior team racked up a 19 - 0 win. You have to feel for the kids on the losing team, first game for the season and they get totally smashed.

Were other parents similarly concerned about the apparent lack of sportsmanship shown by your team coach?
Or were they fully behind the team getting the maximum goals possible?

Maybe you could mention to the club Junior Coordinator. It's not good for the club surely.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

jimmy2014 wrote:once a "safe" score (5-0) is attained the coach could reduce the numbers of players you have on the pitch to balance the numbers and just rotate players to give everyone an even go.
Giving the GK a run on the pitch is always nice (I'm sure Merson liked having a go at scoring against Scotch and the like in round 1 cup games of years gone by).

These games aren't great value, so have fun and don't humiliate the opposition if possible.
Totally agree about playing your GK on the field but not as centre forward Jim!
Play him as a central defender so he can get used to playing in a similar role just pushed up a lot higher, what better way to teach a young gk to have the confidence to come out of his box.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

paul merson wrote:
jimmy2014 wrote:once a "safe" score (5-0) is attained the coach could reduce the numbers of players you have on the pitch to balance the numbers and just rotate players to give everyone an even go.

Totally agree about playing your GK on the field but not as centre forward Jim!
Play him as a central defender so he can get used to playing in a similar role just pushed up a lot higher, what better way to teach a young gk to have the confidence to come out of his box.
Would ORAKLE agree with that

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

I've been in this situation on a few occasions - i normally do the following:

1.Set team/player restrictions like:
1. Must play two touch
2. Require 10 passes in our own half before we can enter the oppositions.
3. Not allowed to cross the ball - can we use combination play get into the box?

2. ASK the opposition coach if he would like me to reduce the numbers of our team to match theirs.

3. Rotate player positions - not dramatically. But play my central defenders as pivots etc, letting them experience the game from the 'next line'.

You cant stop your players from 'scoring' when the opportunities present themselves, but you can restrict and reduce the way you score. For example: no shooting from outside the box, can only shoot with your weaker foot etc. I dont even agree with letting the scoreline be safe (like 5-0 mentioned above). Results should not matter and the focus should always be development for every minute of every game.

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

themessenger wrote:

Looking at the tables there were some obvious anomalies, for instance one junior team racked up a 19 - 0 win. You have to feel for the kids on the losing team, first game for the season and they get totally smashed.

Were other parents similarly concerned about the apparent lack of sportsmanship shown by your team coach?

Maybe you could mention to the club Junior Coordinator. It's not good for the club surely.
That scoreline will have to be revised to 8-0. Under the competition rules the maximum winning margin in JSL is 8 goals. That helps to prevent coaches who have no idea what good sportsmanship is about from benefiting too much from their poor sportsmanship.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Brewie wrote:
themessenger wrote:

That scoreline will have to be revised to 8-0. Under the competition rules the maximum winning margin in JSL is 8 goals. That helps to prevent coaches who have no idea what good sportsmanship is about from benefiting too much from their poor sportsmanship.
It was a JPL game

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

There is also a JSL game.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

That scoreline will have to be revised to 8-0. Under the competition rules the maximum winning margin in JSL is 8 goals. That helps to prevent coaches who have no idea what good sportsmanship is about from benefiting too much from their poor sportsmanship.[/quote]

It was a JPL game[/quote]

So if at 20 minutes the game is 8-0 its called off? So really it's just reported as 8-0 but the players still get flogged 20-0.

Maybe if teams are getting flogged 20-0 there is a clue that maybe those players simply are not good enough. I've said this before and I'll say it again - the FFSA is an Elite Competition, that is suppose to be developing Elite players, for the clubs Elite teams (Seniors). There is another system E&D that offers a lower grade of play (in many cases) instead of making all these rules that are crazy many parents should seek a compatible comp to place their child or accept that they might be outside their comfort zone and will get flogged in most weeks. Maybe your child will develop more in E&D because they actually touch the ball and if they develop well you can always return to FFSA in later years.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

spooky1972 wrote:
So if at 20 minutes the game is 8-0 its called off? So really it's just reported as 8-0 but the players still get flogged 20-0.

Maybe if teams are getting flogged 20-0 there is a clue that maybe those players simply are not good enough. I've said this before and I'll say it again - the FFSA is an Elite Competition, that is suppose to be developing Elite players, for the clubs Elite teams (Seniors). There is another system E&D that offers a lower grade of play (in many cases) instead of making all these rules that are crazy many parents should seek a compatible comp to place their child or accept that they might be outside their comfort zone and will get flogged in most weeks. Maybe your child will develop more in E&D because they actually touch the ball and if they develop well you can always return to FFSA in later years.
The problem is that only covers the Northern suburbs. The Central, Western, Eastern and Southern suburbs have no alternative. It's School football or FFSA. If a kid wants to train and play regularly there is no other option.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

magnet wrote:
spooky1972 wrote:

The problem is that only covers the Northern suburbs. The Central, Western, Eastern and Southern suburbs have no alternative. It's School football or FFSA. If a kid wants to train and play regularly there is no other option.

Many many many parents travel outside their areas to play FFSA - in most of those cases it's because they didn't make the FFSA teams in their area (clue) - however in saying that, yes for the southern folk that may be true. Central, Western and certainly Eastern have many clubs very close and have no excuses. Any parent west of south road can easily take the freeway to northern suburbs and clubs right there, same goes for Central, Eastern people have TTG - Modbury Vista - Valley View to name a few, the problem shouldn't be making rules for lower grade players to accommodate parents the problem is parents sending their children to a comp way out of their depth, and paying triple for the privilege to be thumped.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The FFSA is not an elite competition. Its a competition for any kids who want to play football and not just a select elite group of players. Junior football is the foundation of our game and if the foundations were built on a narrow base of a small group of elite players the game would go backwards.

Those clubs that maximise the football opportunities given to young kids should be applauded.

Maybe what could change is for the FFSA to consider introducing an optional community division in each age group to cast the net wider and to give football opportunities to a wider range of kids.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

admin wrote:
The FFSA is not an elite competition. Its a competition for any kids who want to play football and not just a select elite group of players. Junior football is the foundation of our game and if the foundations were built on a narrow base of a small group of elite players the game would go backwards.

Those clubs that maximise the football opportunities given to young kids should be applauded.

Maybe what could change is for the FFSA to consider introducing an optional community division in each age group to cast the net wider and to give football opportunities to a wider range of kids.
Hi Admin, when I say Elite, I mean it is considered a higher talent than E&D. Answer me this - can a player be chosen for skillaroos, AIS, NTC or what ever they may be called today without being involved in FFSA? All I'm saying is if your child doesn't make the top grades of the junior teams don't complain if they get thumped cos they have options, all this poor little johnny stuff is why we have soft players today, just an opinion.

charlieadelaide
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by charlieadelaide »

I have been informed that some of those scores were due to lack of players, not skill level, this brings on a whole new argument about some teams having 17 players and others having 11

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

spooky1972 wrote:That scoreline will have to be revised to 8-0. Under the competition rules the maximum winning margin in JSL is 8 goals. That helps to prevent coaches who have no idea what good sportsmanship is about from benefiting too much from their poor sportsmanship.
It was a JPL game[/quote]

Maybe if teams are getting flogged 20-0 there is a clue that maybe those players simply are not good enough. I've said this before and I'll say it again - the FFSA is an Elite Competition, that is suppose to be developing Elite players, for the clubs Elite teams (Seniors). There is another system E&D that offers a lower grade of play (in many cases) instead of making all these rules that are crazy many parents should seek a compatible comp to place their child or accept that they might be outside their comfort zone and will get flogged in most weeks. Maybe your child will develop more in E&D because they actually touch the ball and if they develop well you can always return to FFSA in later years.[/quote]
No don't call the game off. The team losing 8-0 might still come back and win.