Birth certificates, Proof of age

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Birth certificates, Proof of age

Post by fball12 »

Does anyone know whether the Federation (FFSA) check birth certificates for proof of correct age?

Or does FFSA leave it up to clubs to verify birth certificates and other documents for overseas born players?

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Birth certificates, Proof of age

Post by Socca »

Clubs

If people running clubs aren't trustworthy, they shouldn't be there

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Not sure whether some clubs are able (have the skills) to prove whether some proof of age documents from overseas would be valid.

Jonny Lidon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Jonny Lidon »

west_ham wrote:Not sure whether some clubs are able (have the skills) to prove whether some proof of age documents from overseas would be valid.
You could do what some do and just get stat decs signed. I forgot, that didn't quite work did it.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

west_ham wrote:Does anyone know whether the Federation (FFSA) check birth certificates for proof of correct age?

Or does FFSA leave it up to clubs to verify birth certificates and other documents for overseas born players?

1st of January !

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

I'm referring to proof that documents are genuine and legally valid, not just the date as printed on the document.

Especially for overseas born players.

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Socca »

west_ham wrote:I'm referring to proof that documents are genuine and legally valid, not just the date as printed on the document.

Especially for overseas born players.
How would FFSA check something if it doesn't exist ?
Surely the club and it's official delegates should be able and trustworthy enough to check the same things (whatever it might be) as if the Federation had to do it

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

Not an issue of trustworthiness.

They would not be able to verify the authenticity of birth documents for overseas born players.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

no one cares until someone makes an official complaint then everyone points to the left, I know junior players that have 3 different registration numbers for 3 different clubs over the same amount of years. Now I'm not saying the 3 are cheating age wise but the FFSA can't even see duplicate so that shows how much they look!! kids in the past have gone to myfootball.com, forgetting passwords (made by clubs) so simply make a new registration.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Why specifically overseas based players?

So if you're born in australia you can be trusted but not if overseas.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

God is an Englishman wrote:Why specifically overseas based players?

That's the effect you have had on this country.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Black_Panther wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:Why specifically overseas based players?

That's the effect you have had on this country.

I'm a little bit too old for junior football. Anyway, if I'm prepared to lie about my age I might be prepared to lie about where I was born.

I've actually had a number of parents/coaches quiz me about one player in my side. Quite amusing as I point out his twin brother who is a foot shorter than him and point out that they're both playing a year higher than they qualify for.

runcorn2adelaide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by runcorn2adelaide »

The problem with the self registration system is that players/parents complete the player registration .
There is nothing stopping an under age child completing the registration - most have email addresses supplied to them via the school.
The system is flawed and does not allow for checks and balances.
The system does not even make photos compulsory.
A document displaying DOB should be a compulsory requirement allowing clubs to check.

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Socca »

runcorn2adelaide wrote: A document displaying DOB should be a compulsory requirement allowing clubs to check.
Clubs should make it an internal compulsory requirement themselves that they receive from every new player to their club, before they even click the approval for the players self registration

Clubs/Adults should be responsible and trustworthy enough with DOBs of their own players, just like they are with not selling alcohol to minors at their clubs

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

It's all irrelevant anyway. The refs do not check and clubs can't be bothered to report anyway. A club we played last year had two year 8 players from my sons School playing for a U12 JPL team. They would have been at least one year older if not two and that's just the ones we knew. They had a different team when we played them on the Sunday return fixture and noticeable brilliant result in all their mid-week ones. It's a farce, players should have cards to display birthdate to stop this movement between age groups during the Season. I wonder how many players the ref would catch out if he talked to each team before kick-off and said "Who wasn't born in 2002?"

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

It's not the refs job to check players ages

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

God is an Englishman wrote:It's not the refs job to check players ages
There is absolutely nothing stopping over age players playing because nobody checks. It's just 16 names on a team sheet.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

If it's down to the parents, what does anyone have to gain by lying?

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

God is an Englishman wrote:If it's down to the parents, what does anyone have to gain by lying?
It's the difference between playing and not playing. For example, some clubs will have an U12 team but no U13 team. A slight change in the DOB on the registration and they are good to go.

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

The FFA should develop an app (software application) on an Ipad/Android device which references the MyFootballClub web site (every child should have registered, photo mandatory) and then the refs can check before the game who is on the card.

They could update game stats at the end of the game as well.

This partly solves the problem of players not playing below their true age level.

Does not solve the invalid birth certificates/documents which aren't being checked properly.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

west_ham wrote:The FFA should develop an app (software application) on an Ipad/Android device which references the MyFootballClub web site (every child should have registered, photo mandatory) and then the refs can check before the game who is on the card.

This partly solves the problem of players not playing below their true age level.

Does not solve the invalid birth certificates/documents which aren't being checked properly.
I agree with that. The issue is not the birth certificates/documents it's the knowledge that an over age player can walk up on any Sunday and play for a younger team. Until the Ref checks that the team sheet matches the player FFA number and photo we will always have this problem.

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

It's really quite simple, all players should have to go to FFSA HQ with birth certificate and a school card or something with photo ID. Once the FFSA visualize the documents, that player is issued an FFSA Junior IDCard, at a cost. This player will never have to be checked again and an updated photo is required every 2-3 years or a lost card is replaced at a cost. Sure it might be busy for the first year, but after that, it will be an easy task with only new players being done. No player can play without their card and must be checked prior to kick off....not hard.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

magnet wrote:
west_ham wrote:The FFA should develop an app (software application) on an Ipad/Android device which references the MyFootballClub web site (every child should have registered, photo mandatory) and then the refs can check before the game who is on the card.

I agree with that. The issue is not the birth certificates/documents it's the knowledge that an over age player can walk up on any Sunday and play for a younger team. Until the Ref checks that the team sheet matches the player FFA number and photo we will always have this problem.

This is not the refs job

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

God is an Englishman wrote:
magnet wrote:

This is not the refs job
It has to be someone on matchday so if it is not the Refs then who? Maybe the opposing managers could check the card against the team sheet :lol:

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

magnet wrote:It has to be someone on matchday so if it is not the Refs then who? Maybe the opposing managers could check the card against the team sheet :lol:

Why is that so funny? Each club has a team manager, that was always how it was done in my juniors. Then in another league, you lined up and handed your card to an opposition player and you checked each others.

The refs jobs is to enforce the laws of the game, not competition rules.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

magnet wrote:It has to be someone on matchday so if it is not the Refs then who? Maybe the opposing managers could check the card against the team sheet :lol:

Why is that so funny? Each club has a team manager, that was always how it was done in my juniors. Then in another league, you lined up and handed your card to an opposition player and you checked each others.

It's funny because it's never going to happen. The FFSA look to reduce the workload not add to it. It's the kids that suffer, both in the teams that cheat and the teams that don't.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

magnet wrote:

It's funny because it's never going to happen. The FFSA look to reduce the workload not add to it. It's the kids that suffer, both in the teams that cheat and the teams that don't.

but you think they'll add it to a ref's workload

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

but you think they'll add it to a ref's workload
I don't care who does it as long as somebody does

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Socca »

magnet wrote:

Teams don't cheat, kids don't cheat, it's the so called 'responsible' adults (the coaches and managers) that are cheating who we as parents are supposed to be trusting.
And then if a parent in that team also turns a blind eye to what is happening, they are also the ones that are cheating by ignoring it and letting it happen

Not refs or FFSAs job to be the responsible ones to be checking these things, plenty of others who shouldn't be letting it happen in the first place

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

You are 100% correct but what would you do if you knew 100% that over age players were playing for a team?