Player trial options

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Drancy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Player trial options

Post by Drancy »

Hi all,
We have arrived in Adelaide recently and my 14 year old boy went to some club trials last week and this week. He has been selected in one of the bigger clubs to play U16JPL and he also been selected in one of a minor clubs in the U18 state league.
We are not sure which option to take as our main concern is for is development and is well being. Any knowledgeable and positive comments will be welcome to help us making a decision.
Thanks.
Steve

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Player trial options

Post by Socca »

You joined the forum over a year ago, and commented on a club in 2013

I think you know plenty

Glasshouse
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Glasshouse »

Also - there were no junior trials last week! Clubs were not allowed to hold trials until Monday 22nd September

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Glasshouse wrote:Also - there were no junior trials last week! Clubs were not allowed to hold trials until Monday 22nd September
Am pretty sure .. well infact certain there were some 18/Reserves trials last week as a friend of mine took his son there and know of others who apparently went ..FWIW all the boys I know of who trialled were selected! .. also if the boy was offered a spot after a first trial ie Monday or when ever that would not be out of the ordinary so makes sense what was said.

Drancy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Drancy »

Yes you are correct Socca, I have joined about a year ago and made a comment, I have knowledge in football but limited knowledge in football or soccer in Adelaide. My partner is from here but I am not. We have been living in Europe and made the decision to come here for personnel reasons. We arrived recently. Some friends suggested to trial for the U18 to a club that had their trials for the 18, reserves and seniors as they promote young players to that level. As mentioned the junior trials started this week and there for we went to trial to a club closer to home and for his age group.
The kid just love to play and we are not sure which age group in more suitable for him here in Adelaide. I will not be asking if we were still in Europe.
Thanks for your comments.

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

Drancy wrote:Yes you are correct Socca, I have joined about a year ago and made a comment..........
The kid just love to play and we are not sure which age group in more suitable for him here in Adelaide. I will not be asking if we were still in Europe.
Thanks for your comments.
There is no right or wrong answer to your original question.

What does your son feel happiest about?

If he goes for the U16 option and is good enough, it is more than likely, he would soon be asked to sit on the bench for the U18 team, though as always in football there is never any guarantee.

Not that there are many scouts around Adelaide, especially at junior level, but he would probably have more chance of getting noticed playing for a PL team.

But again I come back to the question, what does your son feel happiest about?
Occasionally available in blue

on-side
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by on-side »

Given the fact that many (but not all) PL clubs don't offer open trials at U18s and Reserve levels, I would suggest getting him into a PL club over a SL club otherwise you could find he doesn't get the opportunity to get into a PL club in the future.

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Green Manalishi? I ask you this.....why are you still making perfect sense on this Forum? You have been here long enough to start talking nonsense like I did and so many others before me.....Lol

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

on-side wrote:Given the fact that many (but not all) PL clubs don't offer open trials at U18s and Reserve levels, I would suggest getting him into a PL club over a SL club otherwise you could find he doesn't get the opportunity to get into a PL club in the future.
If a player is good enough he will make it in either league.

But if you really are unsure about clubs then pay attention to who will be coaching your son and likely to be better for his development as a player

charlieadelaide
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by charlieadelaide »

Depends on what level the under 16s Is playing at!
also depends on what under 18s team you are also playing in, if one of the weaker teams (look at last years results) then you may be asked to drop down to play under 16s or 17s if you are eligible, you may also be asked to play reserves if good enough, and the 18s may get beaten every week, ........then too much football can be played which may be detrimental to the player.......better off staying with the premier league team in the 16s and push for the 18s in the same club, again depends on what the coach of the 16s is like and whether you have a chance of playing in the under 18s......ask if you can play 16s and do extra training with the 18s to give yourself a chance, or trial at one of the clubs that have been newly promoted to the premier league....Port & Modbury

on-side
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by on-side »

themessenger wrote:
on-side wrote:Given the fact that many (but not all) PL clubs don't offer open trials at U18s and Reserve levels, I would suggest getting him into a PL club over a SL club otherwise you could find he doesn't get the opportunity to get into a PL club in the future.

But if you really are unsure about clubs then pay attention to who will be coaching your son and likely to be better for his development as a player
Can you please explain to me how a player is going to make it in the PL when they may not even get the chance to trial?

..... and if you have been playing in SL.... how on earth would someone from a PL club know what kind of player they are if they have never seen them play.

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

rabbit wrote:Green Manalishi? I ask you this.....why are you still making perfect sense on this Forum? You have been here long enough to start talking nonsense like I did and so many others before me.....Lol
Hope you're still enjoying the sunshine :wink:
Occasionally available in blue

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

on-side wrote:
themessenger wrote:

Can you please explain to me how a player is going to make it in the PL when they may not even get the chance to trial?

..... and if you have been playing in SL.... how on earth would someone from a PL club know what kind of player they are if they have never seen them play.
A standout player in an 18s or Reserves team at State League level gets usually gets noticed by other clubs including Premier league clubs.

FourTwoTwo
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by FourTwoTwo »

How?

Drancy
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Drancy »

Thanks all for your comments. We have decided to join the U18s State league club based on the coaches’ credentials. The U18 coach has a C license and has played in 3rd and 4th division in Europe. The U16 coach has no coaching license and played junior and amateur in SA. We believe he will get better opportunities and benefit his development with the U18s.
I know it is difficult to found volunteers but I found it hard to believe a PL club will give a U16 team to a coach with so little experience and coaching qualification. I had my doubt on the possibility to develop players and decided to move on, I wish him well.
Again thanks for your comment and good luck for next season.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

Drancy wrote:Thanks all for your comments. We have decided to join the U18s State league club based on the coaches’ credentials. The U18 coach has a C license and has played in 3rd and 4th division in Europe. The U16 coach has no coaching license and played junior and amateur in SA. We believe he will get better opportunities and benefit his development with the U18s.
I know it is difficult to found volunteers but I found it hard to believe a PL club will give a U16 team to a coach with so little experience and coaching qualification. I had my doubt on the possibility to develop players and decided to move on, I wish him well.
Again thanks for your comment and good luck for next season.
Thanks for letting us know your decision, the angst I, and I guess many others were feeling about your conundrum, was becoming a little overbearing. :?
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?