Future super star

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Slide Tackle
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Future super star

Post by Slide Tackle »

WHEN six-year-old Liam Stam told his parents he was going to score 100 goals in his second year playing soccer they laughed.

But Liam has laughed last and loudest, after posting his century during Para Hills United’s win over Angle Vale on Saturday.

Liam’s tally for 2014 is now at 100 goals after scoring eight against the Foxes.

Liam wants to be a professional soccer player one day and represent Australia in the World Cup.

“I would want to kick lots of goals,” Liam says.

His hero is Argentinian player Lionel Messi, who was named best player at the tournament.

Like him, Liam says he “runs fast” and the other players “can’t get the ball off me”.

Under 6 coach Justin Baker says Liam reads the ball much better than other players his age.

“He’s miles ahead of ahead of anyone else we’ve come across,” Mr Baker says.

“He’s good on both feet and can tell where the ball is going to go.”

Liam has averaged 6.2 goals per game, but his mother Hayley says he is not a hog.

“The 100 goals isn’t the thing I’m most proud of, it’s that he helps everyone else out on the team,” Mrs Stam says.

“At that level it’s about having fun and playing as a team and he’s done that.

“The fact he’s done that and scored all those goals is wonderful.”

Liam’s father Stephen Stam played for Para Hills Knights in the former FFSA Super League.

He said in his 31 years playing the sport he had never seen a player score 100 goals in a season.

“I’m proud as — it’s awesome,” Mr Stam says.

There are still three matches left in the season.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7028140546

Looks good, sign him up :)

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: Future super star

Post by Steve#4 »

I thought we didn't keep score in SSF???

Great the kid seems to have talent but not sure how I feel about this article...

jedi23
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by jedi23 »

Steve#4 wrote:I thought we didn't keep score in SSF???

Great the kid seems to have talent but not sure how I feel about this article...
Agree, But think you might find he plays in E&D where scores are recorded but there is no league tables and results are not published at that age

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Steve#4 wrote:I thought we didn't keep score in SSF???

mmm .. if they are playing Angle Vale then it would be E&D so therefore bigger pitch is pretty easy for the bigger or faster ones to run on and score goals .. I remember seeing a game when walking across to an amateur game out that way where the same kind of thing was happening... he may find it a lot more difficult scoring goals like that in FFSA SSF where you have players on you constantly and so have to develop skill and play to your team mates ..so all relative

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

Why is there negativitiy around a positive news story?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

I guess the true test for being a future 'superstar' is how they handle things such as not scoring, losing, being tagged etc.
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?

Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Rookie »

there was a similiar article last year about an under 7 blue eagles kid, i reckon just let the kids be kids and play,

Fact Hunt
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Fact Hunt »

Good on the kid but let's not get carried away. I have seen plenty of kids score truck loads in modified rules/SSF games, get championed by pushy parents, be very ordinary when they graduate to a bigger pitch, get bogged down by expectations nd then 4 years later not be playing at all. Let the kid play and enjoy it while it lasts but hopefully a coach develops a more rounded player who continues to enjoy playing for the next 30 odd years.