Aggresive players and coaches

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

charlieadelaide
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Aggresive players and coaches

Post by charlieadelaide »

So far this season....Under 15s JPL

Player threatened before a game
Player punched in back
Player punched repeatedly in face
Flying elbows when jumping (on purpose)
Stomping on players after they have had a sliding tackle
Pinching
Using threatening behaviour on the pitch
Players abusing coaches
Coaches abusing players or dragging them for not being good enough.
Stud high tackles (on purpose)

Far too much aggression out there, can't we play a game without resulting to this archaic type of English Div 3 type of Football, unless of course all you want is a win by all costs by a bunch of thugs approach. :(
Oh and don't start me on the opposition parents!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Aggresive players and coaches

Post by GiancarloRed »

Generational change and constant education / reinforcement are the main solutions, disappointed to hear about the bad player behaviour but I can only assume (hope) strong refereeing dealt with most of those on-field issues. My son plays 15A JPL and there has not been many real bad incidents at our games, or any worse than normal anyway. I was aware of a very bad situation involving Modbury v Metros and a parent ref, that is definitely something to be avoided, best to re-schedule the game with an official ref. Players abusing coaches or vice versa need to be dealt with by the clubs involved. I think most clubs are pretty soft at disciplining their players and more so unruly parents or coaches, and this needs to change, perhaps FFSA can help train clubs on how to do this. Examples need to be set, like Western Strikers did last season. Otherwise the respect banners that the FFSA wants clubs to display are meaningless.

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

charlieadelaide wrote:So far this season....Under 15s JPL

Player threatened before a game
Player punched in back
Player punched repeatedly in face
Flying elbows when jumping (on purpose)
Stomping on players after they have had a sliding tackle
Pinching
Using threatening behaviour on the pitch
Players abusing coaches
Coaches abusing players or dragging them for not being good enough.
Stud high tackles (on purpose)

Far too much aggression out there, can't we play a game without resulting to this archaic type of English Div 3 type of Football, unless of course all you want is a win by all costs by a bunch of thugs approach. :(
Oh and don't start me on the opposition parents!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:
I totally agree with you, I could write a book on all the crap I see in the 15s league, many parents, coaches and young players have lost the plot. Do you think the ffsa care?

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

The issues can be addressed progressively by affirmative action by the clubs backed by the FFSA, starting with a code of conduct explained prior to the season to all parents (at team meetings) and yellow/red card warnings for any reported misconduct where a parent needs to explain their actions to a club committee. Unfortunately most of what happens does not get recorded or reported, and sadly, many committee people do not want to take action against their friends. I recall an incident in 14s last year when a club lino behaved really poorly (was trying to dictate) to the ref (never seen that before) then ref finally lost patience and he stopped the game and ordered that club to replace him but gee, you could see the slowness of his colleagues to do anything, even if it was obvious what they needed to do. This tells you the sad mentality that pervades the sport, and as I mentioned earlier, generational change is necessary.

Darius Aurelis
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Darius Aurelis »

I've seen some coaches be over aggressive to opposition but not violent play on the pitch . Which ones guys instead of broad statements ?

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

what im talking about is:
*winning at all costs mentality rather than development
*abusing the players straight after a game for poor performance or losing a game after they were leading
*coaches yelling at the referee after every single decision, encouraging opposition players to get yellow and red cards
*celebrating every goal like they won the world cup, even after their team is winning by 5 or more goals
*coaches telling some of their players on the bench that the game is tight but will definitely get some game time next week
*opposition players getting injured and needing to be carried off, yet the opposition coach does not offer any help but tells the referee to stop his watch

and this is what i witnessed after 8 league rounds and 2 cup games at u15s level, and by multiple clubs

could write a lot more but cant be bothered

The Shape
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by The Shape »

Some clubs "preaching" development but are the first to post their divisional results for their respective age groups on the FFSA website.

If they weren't winners would they post so frequently ?

Red4life
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Red4life »

I have witnessed opposite ends of the spectrum this year, oppositon coaches abusing opposition players, very rough play, players abusing each other during the game and after when shaking hands, however I have also witnessed great acts of sportsmanship.

Congrats to one young man who played for Adelaide City on the weekend who assisted an opposition injured player from the field, I would love to see more stories like that on football news.

James
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by James »

will take a while to get the 'win at all cost' coach out of the junior world. As more coaches complete the asia badges there will hopefully a shift in attitude

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

If the FFSA are so intent on 'development'
then why do they have this top 3 qualification system for under 12,13 etc JPL
Division A?
Catch 22 situation .

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

kevinkeegan wrote:If the FFSA are so intent on 'development'
then why do they have this top 3 qualification system for under 12,13 etc JPL
Division A?
Catch 22 situation .
Its a really crap situation in my opinion. We want players being able to compete and develop in the appropriate skill levels for their age groups. We dont want to see emphatic 10+ goal scorelines where kids stop enjoying the game. Unfortunately that means we need some sore of "qualification" to guide us on which teams belong in what division... As you say, its a catch 22 situation.

I genuinely believe its up to the coaches. If you, as a coach, are intent on putting development before results, you will see the benefits in the long run. My 4th year of coaching and two 16yr old boys who i coached through U14-U15s have broken into the first team this year, with a few more on the brink. I can tell you that's a hell of a lot more satisfying then "winning junior games".

You wanna know what the intent of your coach is, its easy, ask him "how did you go today?".. If the first words out of his mouth are the scoreline, then you know were the priorities lay. If he explains his teams performance and how they played, then he's probably assessing the game from a development view point.

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

Great answer matty

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

great answer matty,

as junior coaches are we here to develop champion teams or champion players? I get no greater thrill watching my boys play up or getting selected for rep teams.

jumping from 11's to 12's this year has been a huge challenge for me mostly because the boys are developing at different rates physically, mentally and emotionally...

playing your strongest team, giving equal game time, qualifying for JSL or JPL divisions next year if applicable and dealing with over critical parents can be a challenge and pressure we as junior coaches don't need...i cant speak highly enough of my TD, coaching co-ordinators and club in terms of support.

as far as over aggressive players/coaches- i haven't seen much in my u/12 division . Passion is different to aggression.

I speak to 7-8 coaches weekly from my division and outside my division, the conversation always starts with how did you play on the weekend..

we all cant wait to watch our boys playing senior football so we can relax and enjoy the afternoon. Our job will be done by then.

Its the sideline comments that you have to ignore if you are to succeed.

hestikame
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hestikame »

simple really. align your juniors with your seniors.

in the case of our club when our seniors play eastern united on a Saturday our juniors do the same. that way I believe there would be more emphasis on development and education.

just my thoughts and not them of the clubs.

just saying