too young for u18?

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

bulldoggooner
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

too young for u18?

Post by bulldoggooner »

How young is to young to play in u18 state league I understand all kids are different but Just looking for your input?

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: too young for u18?

Post by GiancarloRed »

No minimum age or hard rules as such, depends on the level and maturity of the player. Several clubs have 14-15 year olds playing 18s NPL and doing well. The current NTC (state) squad of 1999 born players is in the 18s NPL comp and competing effectively against more experienced and bigger players / teams.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

bulldoggooner wrote:How young is to young to play in u18 state league I understand all kids are different but Just looking for your input?
If you're good enough, you're old enough...

Having said that, the kids development has to be taken into consideration. I look at 3 things: Are they Technically capable? Are they Physically capable? and most important, Are they Mentally capable?

Kids "playing up" are often forced to have accelerated development, where they adjust their game to suit the performance required at higher levels.

Taking the phases into consideration, I'd want kids completing the Skill acquisition phase and game training phases before stepping up. I believe U16 and U17 are performance phase, which is similar to U18s, so once kids hit that 15-16 age bracket i think taking the step up if they're capable is fine. 13-14 year olds should really be completing the GT phase of their development...

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

Fair comments matty2323 but I think you will find 'game' training (depending on how you define it) continues into 18s and perhaps beyond. There are players aged 13-14 that are more advanced in game intelligence than many I have seen in the 16s and 17s, and these are often readier to play 18s than their older counterparts and can largely offset physical disadvantages. Our club is doing well in 16A comp but I bet few of those players will make it to 18s.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

GiancarloRed wrote:Fair comments matty2323 but I think you will find 'game' training (depending on how you define it) continues into 18s and perhaps beyond. There are players aged 13-14 that are more advanced in game intelligence than many I have seen in the 16s and 17s, and these are often readier to play 18s than their older counterparts and can largely offset physical disadvantages. Our club is doing well in 16A comp but I bet few of those players will make it to 18s.
I can guarantee you game training continues into first team, as majority of players lack the "game intelligence" to understand modern football. I see kids as young as 12-13 who have better technical ability then senior players, or see and understand the game better. My main concern with pushing kids up is they don't develop naturally in all facets of their game.

We want to develop technically gifted players, and the more you "play up", the bigger physical demand is put on a younger player. This effects technical development. A technically gifted 14 year old playing against an average, but physically developed 17 year old, will struggle to develop on match day due to the intensity and physical demands of u18 football. Yes they "adapt", move the ball on quicker etc but this is at the expense of creativity, flair and expression.

Id much rather see kids develop at a natural pace, take the step around 16-17 (yes there will be exceptions). Kids need to learn the game completely, from technical development and expression, to tactical understanding and awareness... rushing kids can mean they miss some of these development areas which ultimately effects their chance of becoming a senior player.

The coaching also plays a huge role...

aufc_123
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by aufc_123 »

matty2323 wrote:
GiancarloRed wrote:Fair comments matty2323 but I think you will find 'game' training (depending on how you define it) continues into 18s and perhaps beyond. There are players aged 13-14 that are more advanced in game intelligence than many I have seen in the 16s and 17s, and these are often readier to play 18s than their older counterparts and can largely offset physical disadvantages. Our club is doing well in 16A comp but I bet few of those players will make it to 18s.
I can guarantee you game training continues into first team, as majority of players lack the "game intelligence" to understand modern football. I see kids as young as 12-13 who have better technical ability then senior players, or see and understand the game better. My main concern with pushing kids up is they don't develop naturally in all facets of their game.

We want to develop technically gifted players, and the more you "play up", the bigger physical demand is put on a younger player. This effects technical development. A technically gifted 14 year old playing against an average, but physically developed 17 year old, will struggle to develop on match day due to the intensity and physical demands of u18 football. Yes they "adapt", move the ball on quicker etc but this is at the expense of creativity, flair and expression.

Id much rather see kids develop at a natural pace, take the step around 16-17 (yes there will be exceptions). Kids need to learn the game completely, from technical development and expression, to tactical understanding and awareness... rushing kids can mean they miss some of these development areas which ultimately effects their chance of becoming a senior player.

The coaching also plays a huge role...
Perfect explanation, glad to hear that there is some coaches with the right idea out there.

bulldoggooner
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bulldoggooner »

Cheers guys good feedback

Nigel_Reo-Coker
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Nigel_Reo-Coker »

As long as they are 18 years or under it should be ok!

Ali Dia
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ali Dia »

Nigel_Reo-Coker wrote:As long as they are 18 years or under it should be ok!
Yeah that's right
!!Former Southampton Player!!
Influences: Graeme Souness & Matt Le Tissier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfX9gBmsWqg