Looking for a club for my two sons

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

zahir
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Looking for a club for my two sons

Post by zahir »

Hi I'm looking for a club for my two sons one is 5 and the other is 7. I'm not happy with the club they are at right now any suggestions. I live in the unley area.

Rebel with a Cause
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Looking for a club for my two sons

Post by Rebel with a Cause »

zahir wrote:Hi I'm looking for a club for my two sons one is 5 and the other is 7. I'm not happy with the club they are at right now any suggestions. I live in the unley area.
Please list 5 things you ain't happy about.

zahir
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by zahir »

Rebel with a Cause wrote:
zahir wrote:Hi I'm looking for a club for my two sons one is 5 and the other is 7. I'm not happy with the club they are at right now any suggestions. I live in the unley area.
It was a serious post.

Rebel with a Cause
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Rebel with a Cause »

zahir wrote:
It was a serious post.
So was mine. Please enlighten us as to what problems parents at that age encounter.

zahir
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by zahir »

zahir wrote:
It was a serious post.

So was mine. Please enlighten us as to what problems parents at that age encounter.
I'm not here to air my grievances, I am asking for help to seek a club which parents are happy with in the main metropolitan area.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

Are you serious? I can't think of a single reason to move kids of that age to another club. It's all about learning the basics in a fun environment.

ThundaChucka
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ThundaChucka »

I could Magnet, an agressvive threating coach. Win at all cost coach. Coach that treats the game like its afl. Coach who thinks fitness is all important and make kids do laps and shuttle runs, etc etc. & no im not saying this is what happening. I have no relation to this person or club. You may think that no coach would do this, but let me say ive seen it in the past. Some people have no idea about the game especially for the young age groups. Also there maybe problems with other parents. Things do get ugly in kids sports at times unfortunately, which in all kids would not enjoy any of this above. Again this is just some answers why would a parent move their kids to another club.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

ThundaChucka wrote:I could Magnet, an agressvive threating coach. Win at all cost coach. Coach that treats the game like its afl. Coach who thinks fitness is all important and make kids do laps and shuttle runs, etc etc. & no im not saying this is what happening. I have no relation to this person or club. You may think that no coach would do this, but let me say ive seen it in the past. Some people have no idea about the game especially for the young age groups. Also there maybe problems with other parents. Things do get ugly in kids sports at times unfortunately, which in all kids would not enjoy any of this above. Again this is just some answers why would a parent move their kids to another club.
I still struggle to grasp that a coach of 7 & 5 year olds can be aggressive. Winning certainly does not matter, especially at that age. If a club has an aggressive coach at that age group then its a disgrace.

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

Zahir I think you could visit a few clubs and check their programs (including small-sided games), see how well organised they are and parental attitudes, and talk with coaching staff, to resolve which best suits your needs / preferences. If you are based in Unley, and don't wish to travel too far, then why not check Adelaide City, Comets, Cumberland and West Adelaide for starters.

Stretch
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stretch »

Hi Zahir, my son coaches the u8's at Comets and they are still looking for a couple more players. I'm not sure if they have spaces available for your u6, but usually clubs take all kids at that age group. If you want to come and try they are training tomorrow night (Thursday) from 6.30 - 7.30 at Ellis park, next to Adelaide High on West Terrace.

zahir
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by zahir »

Thanks Giancarlo. I will take on board your suggestions. I am going to move my kids from one of the clubs you mentioned. I won't go into details. Thanks again for you suggestions.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

Nut job parents is a big issue potentially. People who think their 5 year old is the next Messi and expect their kid to get uninterrupted game time and expect the coach to do everything they say. Also causes coaches to leave clubs not just other parents/players.
Go Reds

Check out Ground Phase at...
http://www.reverbnation.com/groundphase
http://youtu.be/TkdT5gPXQkM

'66 '68 '69 '71 '73 '76 '78 '13 '15

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

anyone read Peter Goers article in the Mail re: 'helicopter parents'?

honestly....how much 'organisation' do parents expect for 8 yo's when all they should be doing is 'playing'......
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

MegaBonus wrote:anyone read Peter Goers article in the Mail re: 'helicopter parents'?

honestly....how much 'organisation' do parents expect for 8 yo's when all they should be doing is 'playing'......
Agreed but some environments can be unpleasant and/or cliquey and agro and if it got that way id move.
Go Reds

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

Shouldve come down to Ellis park today and seen 80 teams and 300+ kids enjoy the Comets Gala day....take your pick of which clubs make you happy ....

by the way Zahir was it a coach issue or club issue

overall the clubs are quite similar ....what differs are the coaches and parent types associated with different age levels...

hope your kids have fun...if they are at Comets hopefully we meet.

limozeen
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by limozeen »

All ill say is that so far I feel very lucky to be in the group my son plays in. Very harmonious and inclusive environment to this point.
Go Reds

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Just get the lads to play schools soccer and enjoy themselves. If they want to really learn the game and develop skills, take them to a private clinic, they'll love it. There's a few around that are not asociaited with any clubs eg Drago, Jason Hayhurst and Ernie Luongo(he does clinics away from metro who he's associated with
It doesn't get easier, it get worse as years go on with the crap coaching. Coaching in this country is very poor across the board.
If the ffsa want to fix this game, just sack coaching ASAP that are yelling at kids, not suspend them like Hollywood who get lawyers to get him off at tribunals, not once, not twice, but many times. And do they learn? NO they don't, it keeps happening again like Groundhog Day. But at what expense? The kids expense

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

Ibelieve wrote:Just get the lads to play schools soccer and enjoy themselves. If they want to really learn the game and develop skills, take them to a private clinic, they'll love it. There's a few around that are not asociaited with any clubs eg Drago, Jason Hayhurst and Ernie Luongo(he does clinics away from metro who he's associated with
It doesn't get easier, it get worse as years go on with the crap coaching. Coaching in this country is very poor across the board.
If the ffsa want to fix this game, just sack coaching ASAP that are yelling at kids, not suspend them like Hollywood who get lawyers to get him off at tribunals, not once, not twice, but many times. And do they learn? NO they don't, it keeps happening again like Groundhog Day. But at what expense? The kids expense
Too many coaches let their egos get in the way.
Results first, playing style a distant second. Kids enjoyment third.
Happens at even the so called best clubs.

DAT
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by DAT »

I bet you anything the club you're leaving is Adelaide City. The troubles there run far deeper than your immediate coach. Everyone has a story to tell.

bin389
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bin389 »

DAT wrote:I bet you anything the club you're leaving is Adelaide City. The troubles there run far deeper than your immediate coach. Everyone has a story to tell.
They are not the only ones trust me! I had a couple of kids who play football at a club, on the weekend, tell me that they have been "running" doing physical training during all preseason to be fit this year, because wait for it....last year they were fading in games? :oops: Also a couple kids who I coach in a school team said they "never" pass the ball to a defender from a keeper or across the face of goal, it's launch it over midfield and pick up the second ball!