A boys thoughts

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Relegated
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

A boys thoughts

Post by Relegated »

So was chatting to my 14yr old son the other day about whether to stay another season with E&D or look at a Fed club. In his own words he said why go to Fed when even your own team mates are your enemy!

He went on to say that with the competition amongst your own team to get game time, everytime you stuff up in a game or training he could imagine some of his own team mates thinking :lol: :lol: that will go against you, more game time for them.

After giving it some thought i said your probably correct, i added that some parents of players in juniors on the sideline would probably also be thinking the same considering the amount of money they've coughed up for their son to play.

Sad really that he and obviously many others must be thinking the same thing, about a game that they started off loving to play as a toddler has come to this in such a short time in their lives.

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: A boys thoughts

Post by rossonero »

i respect your son's opinion but i cannot see how many others will agree.

if he is enjoying himself where hes is playing and does not want to push himself against better players/teams then he may aswell enjoy himself where he is.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Maybe that's just the whispers he hears via adults at E&D ...

I don't think that kind of thought would even enter most boys minds ..my boys are the same age and younger and all I see from their FFSA team mates is absolute friendship and strong bonding .. if they thought like you say there would barely be a ball passed

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Relegated wrote:So was chatting to my 14yr old son the other day about whether to stay another season with E&D or look at a Fed club. In his own words he said why go to Fed when even your own team mates are your enemy!

He went on to say that with the competition amongst your own team to get game time, everytime you stuff up in a game or training he could imagine some of his own team mates thinking :lol: :lol: that will go against you, more game time for them.

After giving it some thought i said your probably correct, i added that some parents of players in juniors on the sideline would probably also be thinking the same considering the amount of money they've coughed up for their son to play.

Sad really that he and obviously many others must be thinking the same thing, about a game that they started off loving to play as a toddler has come to this in such a short time in their lives.
id actually say hes developed that attitude in E&D because of the way E&D is. you only have to go watch an u11-u12 game on a saturday morning to see 50 parents baring down on the touchline screaming out as both coaches battle away like its a world cup.

Fed clubs (most of the time) are a step up in quality playing wise, but also coaching wise.

Growler
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Growler »

matty2323 wrote:
Relegated wrote:So was chatting to my 14yr old son the other day about whether to stay another season with E&D or look at a Fed club. In his own words he said why go to Fed when even your own team mates are your enemy!

id actually say hes developed that attitude in E&D because of the way E&D is. you only have to go watch an u11-u12 game on a saturday morning to see 50 parents baring down on the touchline screaming out as both coaches battle away like its a world cup.

Fed clubs (most of the time) are a step up in quality playing wise, but also coaching wise.
The above statement is a reflection on competitive junior sport in general. Like all clubs in all competitions, you have a mixture of loud parents and over zealous coaches. The E&D clubs do not have a monopoly on these people, nor do the Federation clubs.
Like all competitions, you get your good, average and bad. I have watched plenty of fantastic Coaches ply their trade in E&D and likewise have seen plenty of fantastic Coaches with the Fed junior teams.
At the end of the day, the key is to choose a club that supports junior development and is involved in the game for the right reasons, namely providing children with an opportunity to develop their skills and most importantly, to build a love for the game.

charlieadelaide
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by charlieadelaide »

Worst coach is the parent in the car on the way home, under 14s and below should get same game time, above and more elite teams, this does not happen, most kids will not mind this if they get to play in better teams..........I have coached JSL players that now play senior football in the premier league, so it does not matter where they play or what division, if they are good enough they will go far, if it is coaching you are after then go to the more elite level clubs, some of the JSL teams are better than the lower division JPL teams, or get additional coaching with an academy...............how often does your kid kick a football on their own, in the backyard with a ball against a wall, if you wanna get better then get fit and eat, sh*t, breathe and live football, otherwise spend more time on the bench

The Kings Jesta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The Kings Jesta »

Unfortunately that reasoning sounds like a cop-out. I experienced that sort of "elitism" first hand in the State teams with the SASI boys all sticking to themselves, the eastern club kids making the next group, then there was 2 of us from the less "fashionable clubs".... Would have been easy for me to say "this kid is favoured", "if I muck up then I'm out"... My parents supported me with out forcing me to play, and I had my own internal drive (like an underdog mentality) to make sure I was on the plane to the National comp and I was. Not just in football, but life in general, it's easy to make excuses as to why you didn't get the job, why you didn't get a pay rise, why you shouldn't leave where you are and look for something better... people that don't have these excuses are more often than not the ones who succeed. If you are happy in a comfort zone then be happy with that choice, but don't try and make an excuse to justify it.