Which club told their kids not too wear club guernsey

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Which club told their kids not too wear club guernsey

Post by hurlcrook »

at the sap trials?

Did they think theyd get away from accusations of bias?

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Which club told their kids not too wear club guernsey

Post by matty2323 »

hurlcrook wrote:at the sap trials?

I would love to hear your ideas on how the trials were biased.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Learn to spell.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

matty2323 wrote:

+1

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

matty2323 wrote:

Simples.

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

Pre conceived ideas of who they'd pick.
Wasted everyone else's time.
My nephew is disillusioned when he sees some of the kids who got picked ahead.
Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.
Dumped on the office staff too.
No team players here. Every kid for themselves.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

hurlcrook wrote:Pre conceived ideas of who they'd pick.
Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.

Huh????

The Stig
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by The Stig »

Sacred Noodle wrote:Huh????
Do not feed the troll

bulldoggooner
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bulldoggooner »

My interest has been sparked, more gossip please.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.
pre-conceived ideas? besides the 3-4 players from my club, i had no idea who any player was out there.

Its a skill acquisition program. The idea isn't to pick 'team players' but to develop individual skill. kids were assessed on the 4 basic core skills, and "flair" players normally possess higher technical ability.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

matty2323 wrote:
Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.
pre-conceived ideas? besides the 3-4 players from my club, i had no idea who any player was out there.

Its a skill acquisition program. The idea isn't to pick 'team players' but to develop individual skill. kids were assessed on the 4 basic core skills, and "flair" players normally possess higher technical ability.
"Focus on FUNCTIONAL GAME SKILLS (as opposed to ‘tricks’) " - SAP
I also got the impression, watching the attitude of the various groups of kids and their interaction with the coaches (and the level of interest of the coaches), that most of the kids were there just to make up the numbers and the majority of the places were pre-determined. The disrespectful and totally unprofessional group email on Friday just topped it off for me, we had no idea it was meant as a rejection letter and my son was still waiting for news till Tuesday. If one club can have up to 10 or more players at the trials based solely on the perception that they are automatically 'better' players than the rest, and those players all get selected then yes that is pre-conceived.

Without naming names what is the highest representation of players from any single club in the north zone born 2002? I'm guessing at least 9 out of the 14 required, not good odds for the others .

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

N5 1BH wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.

I also got the impression, watching the attitude of the various groups of kids and their interaction with the coaches (and the level of interest of the coaches), that most of the kids were there just to make up the numbers and the majority of the places were pre-determined. The disrespectful and totally unprofessional group email on Friday just topped it off for me, we had no idea it was meant as a rejection letter and my son was still waiting for news till Tuesday. If one club can have up to 10 or more players at the trials based solely on the perception that they are automatically 'better' players than the rest, and those players all get selected then yes that is pre-conceived.

Without naming names what is the highest representation of players from any single club in the north zone born 2002? I'm guessing at least 9 out of the 14 required, not good odds for the others .
+1000

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

Come on n5, which club had the greatest representation?
I also noticed that if your child goes to the 'right' private soccer academy, it doesn't harm your chances either. Better still, if dad runs the academy.

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

N5 1BH wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.

Do we want a national team full of selfish players in 10 -15 years time?

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

hurlcrook wrote:Come on n5, which club had the greatest representation?
I also noticed that if your child goes to the 'right' private soccer academy, it doesn't harm your chances either. Better still, if dad runs the academy.

Which club? Which privately run academy?

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

2 Fulham boys in this year's SAP squad - well done lads..

cool hand luke
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by cool hand luke »

bigpond wrote:2 Fulham boys in this year's SAP squad - well done lads..

Which SAP squad - 2002 born or 2003 born?

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

cool hand luke wrote:
bigpond wrote:2 Fulham boys in this year's SAP squad - well done lads..

Which SAP squad - 2002 born or 2003 born?
1 in each - both played under 11 his year but 1 of them plays up a year level..

Toffeefox
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Toffeefox »

Which SAP regional squad are these boys in? and which other clubs are included in that region please and who is coaching them?

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

N5 1BH wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
hurlcrook wrote: pre-conceived ideas? besides the 3-4 players from my club, i had no idea who any player was out there.

Do we want a national team full of selfish players in 10 -15 years time?
no, but at the 10-13 year age bracket we're focusing on skills acquisition. Game training and structure (team play) will come later in their development. Its easy to teach a kid to pass to a team mate, to implement structure into their tactical play.. but not every kid has a good first touch, the ability to beat players 1v1 and instinctively create.

99% of the parents on this forum would have probably sat down and watched junior games involving players like Ronaldo, Messi, Hazard, Ronaldinho etc and called them "Hogs/Greedy". Skills acquisition, get them comfortable on the ball (ball mastery), then teach them how to do it in a team environment. This isn't a "TEAM", its a SKILLS ACQUISITION PROGRAM..

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

N5 1BH wrote:
matty2323 wrote:
Rich messing up.
Poor messed up.

I haven't seen the finalised squad list, but i would assume Raiders. Having coached in the u12's north zone this season gone, and seen the SSG teams coming through, they probably could have picked all 14 from Raiders. The development program at Raiders is the best in the north, they have good coaches teaching the right stuff and their kids are a level above.

Its the duty of others clubs, like mine (Playford) to ensure we catch up, and therefore lift the standard of the whole competition. Not sit on a forum and whinge. We've taken huge steps as a junior program over the past year, and have implemented a new set up next season. We hope that in 5-10 years we will have 8-10 players in SAP and elite squads.

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

You havent seen the finalised list? :lol:

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

hurlcrook wrote:You havent seen the finalised list? :lol:
What's so funny?
Give it up.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Its a skill acquisition program. The idea isn't to pick 'team players' but to develop individual skill. kids were assessed on the 4 basic core skills, and "flair" players normally possess higher technical ability.[/quote]

Without naming names what is the highest representation of players from any single club in the north zone born 2002? I'm guessing at least 9 out of the 14 required, not good odds for the others .[/quote]

I haven't seen the finalised squad list, but i would assume Raiders. Having coached in the u12's north zone this season gone, and seen the SSG teams coming through, they probably could have picked all 14 from Raiders. The development program at Raiders is the best in the north, they have good coaches teaching the right stuff and their kids are a level above.

Its the duty of others clubs, like mine (Playford) to ensure we catch up, and therefore lift the standard of the whole competition. Not sit on a forum and whinge. We've taken huge steps as a junior program over the past year, and have implemented a new set up next season. We hope that in 5-10 years we will have 8-10 players in SAP and elite squads.[/quote]

Forums are for discussion and education are they not ? all I know of the northern zone SAP trials consists my experience of a couple of weeks ago at Burton and a few stories from past participants. I posted on this topic hoping to educate myself more about the Raiders issue as like any parent I want whats right for my kids, EQUAL access to all the opportunities and support that they are entitled to. Like it or not there is a real perception of nepotism and conflict of interest in the northern zone. I would prefer to be shown it is not true and all is well but no one has so I can only assume there is something in it. If Raiders are the de facto SAP team tell everyone so people can take their kids there for trials or go to a club in another zone instead of giving kids false hope and wasting everyone’s time at Burton the other week. My son played both Raiders U12 & U11 teams last year (and yours) and of course I agree their teams benefit from an excellent coaching program and for sure some of the kids are not only good enough for SAP they’ll be up there for the state side next year, and it’s a credit to the club. What put them above the other teams was not that all their players were superior in talent to all other players but the advanced coaching in spatial awareness, space and movement, making & blocking space etc. all essential team orientated skills. Your conclusion to a previous post “This isn't a "TEAM", its a SKILLS ACQUISITION PROGRAM” is ironic in the clear advantage the Raiders kids had in the small sided games, the fact they were familiar with the format (the SAP format) and played, in general, in the same groups using the team skills they had been coached. Being the better coached kids at 11 years old does not automatically give them more potential than all the other 11 year olds as even given this advantage, my opinion only but I saw a number of other kids with equal first touch and better ball retention and passing ability, adapting very quickly to complete strangers. Their perceived superiority was not fundamental skills more a familiarity with the task. Again my opinion only but I am certain from what I saw that even the 14 best of the others given the benefit of a summer of SAP coaching would at least be the equal to the Raiders squad . Without a level playing field and an open mind maybe an opportunity has been missed to maximize talent identification and develop the best and most deserving potential available in our zone for STIC next year.

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

Some interesting and thought-provoking points NS.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

N5 1BH wrote: Forums are for discussion and education are they not ? all I know of the northern zone SAP trials consists my experience of a couple of weeks ago at Burton and a few stories from past participants. I posted on this topic hoping to educate myself more about the Raiders issue as like any parent I want whats right for my kids, EQUAL access to all the opportunities and support that they are entitled to. Like it or not there is a real perception of nepotism and conflict of interest in the northern zone. I would prefer to be shown it is not true and all is well but no one has so I can only assume there is something in it. If Raiders are the de facto SAP team tell everyone so people can take their kids there for trials or go to a club in another zone instead of giving kids false hope and wasting everyone’s time at Burton the other week. My son played both Raiders U12 & U11 teams last year (and yours) and of course I agree their teams benefit from an excellent coaching program and for sure some of the kids are not only good enough for SAP they’ll be up there for the state side next year, and it’s a credit to the club. What put them above the other teams was not that all their players were superior in talent to all other players but the advanced coaching in spatial awareness, space and movement, making & blocking space etc. all essential team orientated skills. Your conclusion to a previous post “This isn't a "TEAM", its a SKILLS ACQUISITION PROGRAM” is ironic in the clear advantage the Raiders kids had in the small sided games, the fact they were familiar with the format (the SAP format) and played, in general, in the same groups using the team skills they had been coached. Being the better coached kids at 11 years old does not automatically give them more potential than all the other 11 year olds as even given this advantage, my opinion only but I saw a number of other kids with equal first touch and better ball retention and passing ability, adapting very quickly to complete strangers. Their perceived superiority was not fundamental skills more a familiarity with the task. Again my opinion only but I am certain from what I saw that even the 14 best of the others given the benefit of a summer of SAP coaching would at least be the equal to the Raiders squad . Without a level playing field and an open mind maybe an opportunity has been missed to maximize talent identification and develop the best and most deserving potential available in our zone for STIC next year.
All excellent points. This was my first year involved, and as a Playford coach i was not allowed to have any involvement with the selection of the northern zone. Neither was the head coach. I cannot answer if he had private involvement, nor can i respond to the standard as i was judging the east zone at the other end of the pitch.

Neither of the 2 lads from my side got in. They quickly identified that they were on par with the kids in a lot of areas, but really struggled with the 1v1 component. Not their fault, they came into federation at under 12 level and weren't exposed to SSGs and the 1v1 training a lot of other kids were.

Out of the 40 kids trialling per zone, probably 30-35 will have good first touch, ball retention skills etc. but that list gets shortened quickly when you facet in the 1v1 component. Remember, kids were judged on all 4 core skills groups (ball striking, running with the ball, first touch, 1v1). So you're probably right, many kids would have slotted in, probably ticket 3 of the 4 boxes and got themselves noticed, but its the kids that tick all the boxes that would have got selected for 15 spots.

ikon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ikon »

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

matty2323 wrote:
N5 1BH wrote: Forums are for discussion and education are they not ? all I know of the northern zone SAP trials consists my experience of a couple of weeks ago at Burton and a few stories from past participants. I posted on this topic hoping to educate myself more about the Raiders issue as like any parent I want whats right for my kids, EQUAL access to all the opportunities and support that they are entitled to. Like it or not there is a real perception of nepotism and conflict of interest in the northern zone. I would prefer to be shown it is not true and all is well but no one has so I can only assume there is something in it. If Raiders are the de facto SAP team tell everyone so people can take their kids there for trials or go to a club in another zone instead of giving kids false hope and wasting everyone’s time at Burton the other week. My son played both Raiders U12 & U11 teams last year (and yours) and of course I agree their teams benefit from an excellent coaching program and for sure some of the kids are not only good enough for SAP they’ll be up there for the state side next year, and it’s a credit to the club. What put them above the other teams was not that all their players were superior in talent to all other players but the advanced coaching in spatial awareness, space and movement, making & blocking space etc. all essential team orientated skills. Your conclusion to a previous post “This isn't a "TEAM", its a SKILLS ACQUISITION PROGRAM” is ironic in the clear advantage the Raiders kids had in the small sided games, the fact they were familiar with the format (the SAP format) and played, in general, in the same groups using the team skills they had been coached. Being the better coached kids at 11 years old does not automatically give them more potential than all the other 11 year olds as even given this advantage, my opinion only but I saw a number of other kids with equal first touch and better ball retention and passing ability, adapting very quickly to complete strangers. Their perceived superiority was not fundamental skills more a familiarity with the task. Again my opinion only but I am certain from what I saw that even the 14 best of the others given the benefit of a summer of SAP coaching would at least be the equal to the Raiders squad . Without a level playing field and an open mind maybe an opportunity has been missed to maximize talent identification and develop the best and most deserving potential available in our zone for STIC next year.
All excellent points. This was my first year involved, and as a Playford coach i was not allowed to have any involvement with the selection of the northern zone. Neither was the head coach. I cannot answer if he had private involvement, nor can i respond to the standard as i was judging the east zone at the other end of the pitch.

Neither of the 2 lads from my side got in. They quickly identified that they were on par with the kids in a lot of areas, but really struggled with the 1v1 component. Not their fault, they came into federation at under 12 level and weren't exposed to SSGs and the 1v1 training a lot of other kids were.

Out of the 40 kids trialling per zone, probably 30-35 will have good first touch, ball retention skills etc. but that list gets shortened quickly when you facet in the 1v1 component. Remember, kids were judged on all 4 core skills groups (ball striking, running with the ball, first touch, 1v1). So you're probably right, many kids would have slotted in, probably ticket 3 of the 4 boxes and got themselves noticed, but its the kids that tick all the boxes that would have got selected for 15 spots.
"the reason a child won't get chosen is generally due to lack of close control in tight areas".
So now that the non-croas have ticked that box, we better come up with the 1 v 1 excuse.

hurlcrook
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by hurlcrook »

N5 1BH wrote:Its a skill acquisition program. The idea isn't to pick 'team players' but to develop individual skill. kids were assessed on the 4 basic core skills, and "flair" players normally possess higher technical ability.

Without naming names what is the highest representation of players from any single club in the north zone born 2002? I'm guessing at least 9 out of the 14 required, not good odds for the others .[/quote]

Its the duty of others clubs, like mine (Playford) to ensure we catch up, and therefore lift the standard of the whole competition. Not sit on a forum and whinge. We've taken huge steps as a junior program over the past year, and have implemented a new set up next season. We hope that in 5-10 years we will have 8-10 players in SAP and elite squads.[/quote]

Forums are for discussion and education are they not ? all I know of the northern zone SAP trials consists my experience of a couple of weeks ago at Burton and a few stories from past participants. I posted on this topic hoping to educate myself more about the Raiders issue as like any parent I want whats right for my kids, EQUAL access to all the opportunities and support that they are entitled to. Like it or not there is a real perception of nepotism and conflict of interest in the northern zone. I would prefer to be shown it is not true and all is well but no one has so I can only assume there is something in it. If Raiders are the de facto SAP team tell everyone so people can take their kids there for trials or go to a club in another zone instead of giving kids false hope and wasting everyone’s time at Burton the other week. My son played both Raiders U12 & U11 teams last year (and yours) and of course I agree their teams benefit from an excellent coaching program and for sure some of the kids are not only good enough for SAP they’ll be up there for the state side next year, and it’s a credit to the club. What put them above the other teams was not that all their players were superior in talent to all other players but the advanced coaching in spatial awareness, space and movement, making & blocking space etc. all essential team orientated skills. Your conclusion to a previous post “This isn't a "TEAM", its a SKILLS ACQUISITION PROGRAM” is ironic in the clear advantage the Raiders kids had in the small sided games, the fact they were familiar with the format (the SAP format) and played, in general, in the same groups using the team skills they had been coached. Being the better coached kids at 11 years old does not automatically give them more potential than all the other 11 year olds as even given this advantage, my opinion only but I saw a number of other kids with equal first touch and better ball retention and passing ability, adapting very quickly to complete strangers. Their perceived superiority was not fundamental skills more a familiarity with the task. Again my opinion only but I am certain from what I saw that even the 14 best of the others given the benefit of a summer of SAP coaching would at least be the equal to the Raiders squad . Without a level playing field and an open mind maybe an opportunity has been missed to maximize talent identification and develop the best and most deserving potential available in our zone for STIC next year.[/quote]
Checkmate .

Santiago Munez
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Santiago Munez »

It's interesting that some seem to make excuses as to why certain kids were chosen for SAP over others and what club you choose at U6 say, is the only thing that determines whether you get into programs like SAP. Some of those 10/11 year olds that did get into SAP, including the North zone, do train and play 5 and often more times a week - academies, futsal, indoor soccer, 7 A SIDE and other sports, all year round and OH YES club training on top of this!!! If some of these kids are getting better through more and more hours of practice and then being chosen for programs like SAP, good luck to them. When you make your generalisations about a group of kids, this also includes the YOUNG KIDS that work REALLY hard day in day out. Your comments just seem to insult them as well.