National age championships and player development

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

National age championships and player development

Post by GiancarloRed »

A friend of mine has a son in the 13s skillaroos team that recently played the national championships in Coffs Harbour. He shared a few insights with me that may be of interest to others involved in junior football.

"I thought our boys played good soccer. They played the way they were taught - from the back, passing it around. Only short corners - and goalkeepers not allowed to kick long.

Unfortunately the same can not be said of the some of the other teams – WA (who won the tournament) and VIC in particular. They are did not play to the FFA rules in my eyes, having said that they scored more goals and won more games than us – so who is wrong and who is right?? My argument is that they all need to be playing the same type of game. Overall I think our boys will be better off in the future. Richie and Stuart did a super job."

Plenty to talk about here, but also puts things into perspective for those curious about how SA stacks up against other states.

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: National age championships and player development

Post by matty2323 »

GiancarloRed wrote:A friend of mine has a son in the 13s skillaroos team that recently played the national championships in Coffs Harbour. He shared a few insights with me that may be of interest to others involved in junior football.

"I thought our boys played good soccer. They played the way they were taught - from the back, passing it around. Only short corners - and goalkeepers not allowed to kick long.

Unfortunately the same can not be said of the some of the other teams – WA (who won the tournament) and VIC in particular. They are did not play to the FFA rules in my eyes, having said that they scored more goals and won more games than us – so who is wrong and who is right?? My argument is that they all need to be playing the same type of game. Overall I think our boys will be better off in the future. Richie and Stuart did a super job."

Plenty to talk about here, but also puts things into perspective for those curious about how SA stacks up against other states.
goalkeepers cant kick long? who made up that rule?

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

The idea is the keeper needs to help secure first possession for the team by finding a teammate from a goal-kick or open play rather than just boot it long and hope for the best. No doubt if the keeper is under pressure from an opponent near the ball then would clear the ball to safety/long and regroup.

angk43
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by angk43 »

Did SA go to win the comp or show how they can string 20 passes together before crossing the half way line.

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

angk43 wrote:Did SA go to win the comp or show how they can string 20 passes together before crossing the half way line.
I think you know the answer but if unsure speak with Richie Alagich. Not about number of passes but how to retain the ball and create opportunities with it.

runcorn2adelaide
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by runcorn2adelaide »

Guys
Take the time to read through the new updated FFA curriculum
This explains the philosophy

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

GiancarloRed wrote:The idea is the keeper needs to help secure first possession for the team by finding a teammate from a goal-kick or open play rather than just boot it long and hope for the best. No doubt if the keeper is under pressure from an opponent near the ball then would clear the ball to safety/long and regroup.
big difference between booting it long and executing a long pass to a vacant 7 or 11 to avoid an opposition press. You see the elite goal keepers do it all the time for the best ball playing sides. The best pass to play is the most FORWARD pass you can play that finds a team mate. Dont get that confused with possession... we're becoming obsessed with short passing for the sake of possession. Reminds me of AU last season and playing 45 passes between 2-3-4-5 and 6 before they crossed the half way line. Possession with intention, thats the key to football. remember its play OUT from the back, not play AT the back.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

matty2323 wrote:
GiancarloRed wrote:The idea is the keeper needs to help secure first possession for the team by finding a teammate from a goal-kick or open play rather than just boot it long and hope for the best. No doubt if the keeper is under pressure from an opponent near the ball then would clear the ball to safety/long and regroup.
big difference between booting it long and executing a long pass to a vacant 7 or 11 to avoid an opposition press. You see the elite goal keepers do it all the time for the best ball playing sides. The best pass to play is the most FORWARD pass you can play that finds a team mate. Dont get that confused with possession... we're becoming obsessed with short passing for the sake of possession. Reminds me of AU last season and playing 45 passes between 2-3-4-5 and 6 before they crossed the half way line. Possession with intention, thats the key to football. remember its play OUT from the back, not play AT the back.
Totally agree.

angk43
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by angk43 »

World Cup Statistics:

85% of goals scored from less than 4 passes, of them, 55% from less than 2 passes(set plays).

possession/passing/controlling is great up to an age ( even the chubby kids are good at that), you need lots of speed of brain and foot, endurance and great vision as a player.
And number 1 is mental psychic that winning only matters in everything you do.

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

no skill ? just mental and physic?

angk43
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by angk43 »

Scoring goals is what the game is about, and keeping the opponent pinned in there half by having your centre halves carry the ball into there half. Not pinning yourself into your own half passing the ball around.

You have to be the best teams in the world play out the back (Dutch and Spain) and take the piss out of your opponent.

You play 4-3-3 and pass the ball out from the back, the opposition moves to a 4-2-4 diamond and smashes you just outside your 18 yard box in kid soccer. What has your team learnt? PS: most junior pitches are very bumpy.

GiancarloRed
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by GiancarloRed »

angk43 wrote:You play 4-3-3 and pass the ball out from the back, the opposition moves to a 4-2-4 diamond and smashes you just outside your 18 yard box in kid soccer. What has your team learnt?
My son's team played in the 14A comp this season and we were playing out from the back wherever possible and building up play and yes, other teams countered by pressing up high as you have stated and forcing turnovers some of which resulted in goals. I still think a good learning experience for our boys to move better into space and play sharper (and more forward) passes but if no options present themselves either go back to keeper or pass/switch to the wide front players near halfway. The keeper also was taught to go short (and move the ball on quicker, before the press got settled) but if everyone marked (as can happen if other team say pushes up in 4-2-4 formation) then either find a free midfielder or go longer to the front three. This compares with some other teams who (especially goalie) booted the ball long seeking distance at every opportunity, with team then trying to play off the second ball. I know which style I prefer watching and playing in. Playing with more risk means you will pay if you don't get it right but that means excellent learning and development - anybody can play it safe but you don't progress much doing that.

angk43
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by angk43 »

Never said to woof the ball long, don't approve of that. Need to teach kids the third pass must cross the half way line on the ground to a flanker or attacker, not from Gk to left back , back to GK , the to right back then back to GK who gives it to a midfield under pressure(who never wanted it) back to GK who woofs it ( that's if it doesn't get intercepted in between).

Also, kids have to be skilled enough to get out of trouble, attack and win 50/50 on the ground an in the air and have the basic skills of control, pass and make spaces, etc . Speed of feet and brain the key... A fast reasonably skilled 14 year old will always beat a extremely skilled chubby kid.

how did the SA team go ?

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

angk43 wrote:Never said to woof the ball long, don't approve of that. Need to teach kids the third pass must cross the half way line on the ground to a flanker or attacker, not from Gk to left back , back to GK , the to right back then back to GK who gives it to a midfield under pressure(who never wanted it) back to GK who woofs it ( that's if it doesn't get intercepted in between).

Also, kids have to be skilled enough to get out of trouble, attack and win 50/50 on the ground an in the air and have the basic skills of control, pass and make spaces, etc . Speed of feet and brain the key... A fast reasonably skilled 14 year old will always beat a extremely skilled chubby kid.

how did the SA team go ?
yes, but were coaching for the future, when they play at senior level, and a fast reasonably skilled played will get eaten alive my intelligent defenders who position themselves well. Agility, balance and speed are important facets in the modern game, but can come naturally with age as players reach the performance and conditioning phases. Its the skills aquisition before thats important. What happens when that chubby kid loses all that weight when he turns 17-18.. now you have an extremely skilled footballer who will take the piss out of that 14 year old who once dominated him.

However,i do agree about transitioning forward, kids need to be taught that there is a point to possession (and its not to "keep the ball"). The point to possession is to manipulate and drag defenders out of position, transition through the lines and create attacking opportunities. If that can be done in 1-3 passes then so be it. If it needs 10-15 then so be it. We're becoming obsessed with short passing, kids are passing side ways more and more.

Remember - people who know what to do (short pass) will always have a job, but those to know HOW and WHY they do it (possession with intention) will always be their boss.