The Secret to Developing a Footballer

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

The Secret to Developing a Footballer

Post by Željko Jurin »

Victor Satei wrote:It's a thought that continuously crosses every coach, parent and players mind. What does it take to develop a top level football player? You know, the ones that are just head and shoulders better than their peers, the ones that possess that exceptional amount of skill or ability. What makes these players? How do you develop their talent?

At the academy that I had been managing for a number of years, there was some great news recently. One of the players has just signed on with an academy in the English Premier league. For privacy reasons I can't publish the name of the club or player at this time, but once the news has officially been made public I am sure word will get around. Yes, he is still young, and there is time before the decision is made on whether or not he is first team material. But for a boy from Toronto, Canada, to be able to go over with an EPL academy and make an impression, is quite the accomplishment.

The question is, how? How did we develop this player to be that good? What did we do that made him reach that level of ability?

Well the fact of the matter is we didn't do anything magical, and...you guessed it, there is no real secret. The truth is that he developed on his own, we simply provided him with the environment and the guidance that helped him along the way. I can remember (we'll call him Domo) Domo as a very young boy, when he first came to us and was looking to join. He immediately impressed us and there was no question that we were more than happy to have him. Domo's father, a die hard football fan showed tremendous support for our program. More importantly he showed tremendous support for his son. He never got in the way, he trusted our coaching and he understood the importance of practice. Domo had a nearly 100% attendance record, and his effort at every training session and in every match was excellent.

Aside from training and games, the boy had the ball at his feet everywhere he went. He is in love with the ball and the game. Even when he was very young I can recall him practicing with his weaker foot, I can remember him inside the indoor facility knocking the ball off the wall and controlling it, I can remember him kicking it about with his dad. It was one of the main reasons he progressed further than his teammates and his competitors, he practiced, a lot. Of course there are other contributing factors to his development and the development of others. They are equally as important and can be the difference between the talented player who doesn't make it and the one that does.

Here is a small list of key factors that every player, parent, and coach should consider when trying to help a player along their path of development.

1. The environment – having a good environment is an essential part of every players development pathway. The environment can often be the determining factor on whether the player keeps up with the game or loses interest altogether. Make sure the environment is one that keeps the game fun and enjoyable for young players. It should be somewhere that the player wants to be and loves going to.

2. Good coaching – this might seem obvious, but it's incredible how many parents risk their child’s development by choosing the wrong coach. It's been said many times but people are still very reluctant to listen to it, a winning record does not qualify someone as a good youth coach. Make sure the coach is well-qualified, this means they have been on courses and have taken the time to consider their own development and education. Those coaches that say “qualifications don't mean anything,” those are usually the ones you want to steer far away from. Aside from being well-qualified, make sure the coach treats the players well, provides players with an enjoyable environment, and is putting in the time to help each player progress as opposed to worrying about how many wins in the season.

3. Parental support – it's important that the parent be just as dedicated as the player. The parent is the most important person in the child's life. They will not only be required to drive their child to training and games, but also provide them with the moral support required to help keep them enthusiastic and engaged. It's important that parents stay positive and show support for the coach and other players on the team as well, a player picks up a lot from the behaviour of their parent.

4. Practice – there is no way of becoming a better player other than practice. The more you practice the better you'll become. Practice on your weaknesses and help them get better, continue practicing your strengths and help them get stronger. Practice with friends, on your own, with your team, in the park, at home, at school. Practice is what's going to make you better, bottom line.

5. Dedication, determination, and a genuine love for the game – this is probably the top determining factor in a players success. I have seen players with a ton of talent, but they didn't have the dedication or determination to drive them to that next level. I have also seen players who were not the most talented, strive and push themselves to work hard and develop into elite athletes. When trying to break into a top level of football, it's usually not a smooth transition. There are a ton of ups and downs that a player will often deal with before getting their chance, and very few can sustain the pressure and make it into that small percentage of elite footballers.

As for “Domo”, we are all rooting for him and wishing him much success. As for everyone else, I hope this piece will be used to remind us that football is a game and there is no magic wand when it comes to player development. Set the environment and keep that smile on the players faces, because after all if they don't enjoy it they won't stick with it, and if they don't stick with it they'll have no chance at all of developing.
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Re: The Secret to Developing a Footballer

Post by Steve#4 »

b

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

great article Zelks

Stich This
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Stich This »

rossonero wrote:great article Zelks
+1

Soccer007
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Soccer007 »

Great article all parents and players should read this.