2014 Junior League

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

2014 Junior League

Post by johnydep »

The FFSA are silent to club official requests for information, so I'm asking here.

Is your club planning to have an U17 team for Season 2014?

Croydon Kings FC would like to have an U17 team next year, and will have an U17 team if the FFSA allow it.

We understand, that if there is not enough teams there's no point in organising an U17 league. We only ask that the FFSA assess the viability and notify clubs in a timely manner, so that we can organise and inform SA players and parents.

I know the FFSA read these forums, so guys (We sent an official email over a week ago.) - what are your intentions?
  • No U17 league?
    U17 JSL only?
    Wait for clubs to give feedback?
For CKFC, we found that having an U17 team this year was beneficial for the players and the club. Some players needed that little bit more training to be ready for U18's, the club needed players in reserve and moved them up as they became ready or required some experience.

viewforum.php?f=7

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68493

juniors
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: 2014 Junior League

Post by juniors »

Adelaide City are looking to have a under 17 team in 2014.
:D

BIG RED
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by BIG RED »

Modbury Jets are looking to have an Under 17's side in 2014.

Re the JSL - that might be changing next year across all age groups - we are awaiting FFSA for clarification on that one. :wink:

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

FFSA, 12:09 PM wrote:Apologies for the delay in responding to you.

As was discussed at the last Junior Delegate Meeting, FFSA is currently in the process of reviewing Junior Competition Structures. This review is in its final stages and will be distributed to clubs in the very near future. I have been unable to provide any details until now due to this review as details would not have been finalised and may have changed.

I’m unsure where your club has received information that U17s will not be offered, but FFSA has no intention of doing this. Therefore I can confirm that, as per previous years, FFSA will continue to offer an U17 competition. The format of an U17 league will obviously be dependant on the number of nominations received from clubs.

de niro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by de niro »

Sturt plan to field an U17 team in 2014

POLONIAROCS
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by POLONIAROCS »

the only thing I learnt from this is that to get an answer from FFSA you need to go via Footballnews.com.au

How quick was that compared to your email 1 week ago.

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

Fulham will have a 17s

BOING BOING
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BOING BOING »

So what is the proposed new structure for junior soccer, that FFSA mention in their update?

theone
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by theone »

BOING BOING wrote:So what is the proposed new structure for junior soccer, that FFSA mention in their update?

Whatever they want it to be. Just like the rest of their decision making.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Ffsa should not allow an u17's in 2014.
It's really a waste of time, clubs are only interested in dollars. It's not junior development IMO.
This is why 16's was bought back, and 19's out for 18's.
don't do it ffsa.

The moyesiah
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The moyesiah »

Ibelieve wrote:Ffsa should not allow an u17's in 2014.
It's really a waste of time, clubs are only interested in dollars. It's not junior development IMO.
don't do it ffsa.

remember every dollar you claim the clubs are after, is a dollar to the FFSA also, why do you think they brought in the JSL. Once upon a time this was the best and only the best comp in SA, now its just a glorified school comp when you see some of the teams getting about. Out of 30 odd teams per age group in ABC you might have 5 or 6 that are quality. The sooner this comp becomes about the elite system it is suppose to be the better.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

don't do it ffsa.
Yeah the people - dad's, mum's and grandparents, involved with their local club only want an U17's squad for the money :roll:

I presume that you're not on the committee, otherwise your club would not have an U17's. I suggest you join and start putting in place your ideas.

Good luck to the kids at your club.

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

johnydep wrote:
don't do it ffsa.

I presume that you're not on the committee, otherwise your club would not have an U17's. I suggest you join and start putting in place your ideas.

Are you being sarcastic?
Stop being greedy from a club perspective. If lads are playing U17's as a 16/17yr old, that's not development. This is why u16's were bought back.
Also u18's are mostly made up of 15-17yr old anyway.
17's are a waste of time! It's a cash grab.
And yes, some clubs are not interested in 17's.
stop assuming you know if someone is involved or not

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

johnydep wrote:
don't do it ffsa.
Yeah the people - dad's, mum's and grandparents, involved with their local club only want an U17's squad for the money :roll:

Johnny, in all seriousness, if kids are not got enough for u18s at 17yo, then why just drag them by the nose for an extra year ...... Unless something drastically changes in that 1 year, majority won't make u18s the next year either

It's the pointy end of junior football ending and senior football beginning, and there are not enough spots for all, so tough decisions need to be made and not give false hope .... honesty is the best policy !
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

John Taylor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by John Taylor »

Perhaps they just like to play
Perhaps they want to improve
Perhaps they enjoy being part of the club

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

John Taylor wrote:Perhaps they just like to play
I totally agree, but what happens the next year ?

John Taylor
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by John Taylor »

Željko Jurin wrote:
Look back on the good year they had, and then make up their mind to go to another club, get into the 18's, or hang up the boots having squeezed in one last year.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

johnydep wrote:
don't do it ffsa.

Željko Jurin wrote:Johnny, in all seriousness, if kids are not got enough for u18s at 17yo, then why just drag them by the nose for an extra year ...... Unless something drastically changes in that 1 year, majority won't make u18s the next year either

It's the pointy end of junior football ending and senior football beginning, and there are not enough spots for all, so tough decisions need to be made and not give false hope .... honesty is the best policy !
I've said this before - At Croydon, the U17 team and players were selected for their ability. The club promised the players that if they worked hard there would be opportunities for them.
Each week 1 - 2 U17 players trained with the U18's for 1 - 3 weeks, and some given game time.
Just before the half way mark of the season two U17 players were given permanent positions in the U18's.
The existing U17's continued to train with the U18's and get game time, and a few have even assisted the Reserves squad.
Several U17's have been playing consistently in the U18's squad, in preparation for U18's next year, as well as 2 or 3 others also having been identified.

Will the same success happen next year? Don't know. However, we do know that there are more talented players at the club than positions in the U18's. So why not give players an extra year? Especially when we've proved that with the right coaching and determination, almost anything can be achieved.

Please don't compare what happened at your club until you come down and have a look and talk to our DC's.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

johnydep wrote:
don't do it ffsa.

Ibelieve wrote:Are you being sarcastic?
Stop being greedy from a club perspective. If lads are playing U17's as a 16/17yr old, that's not development. This is why u16's were bought back.
Are you man enough to tell us your club and your name? That would give credence to what you say.

I presume that you have no input in club matters and that you have nothing to do with a committee, because what you say indicates that you have no personal contact with the players and parents at a club. I could be wrong, and wait to be corrected.

I and my fellow committee members personally know all the players and their parents, have known many of them for a long time.

We pushed for an U17 league last season for those players, knowing and trusting that they'd give back as much effort as we did to stand by them.

No decisions were made about team selection, with money being the priority. We're all volunteers with work or businesses. We'd rather spend our time in other ways than chase an extra dollar for the club over people. We organise teams and help at the club for the people we become friends with, not for the few extra bucks you think is important.

Again; what club are you at?

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Ibelieve wrote:17's are a waste of time! It's a cash grab.
It's not.
Time for some righteous indignation

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Željko Jurin wrote:
Then kids become adults and are no longer eligible for the Junior League.

Some may keep playing - might find a position in a senior FFSA squad, or move to the Amatures, or even play Collegiate League.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

jd, I see your point .... you had 3 x u16 teams last year ?

Not many clubs in that position, so yes there would be a few extra players to try keep hold of

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

johnydep wrote:
johnydep wrote:
don't do it ffsa.

Are you man enough to tell us your club and your name? That would give credence to what you say.

I presume that you have no input in club matters and that you have nothing to do with a committee, because what you say indicates that you have no personal contact with the players and parents at a club. I could be wrong, and wait to be corrected.

I and my fellow committee members personally know all the players and their parents, have known many of them for a long time.

We pushed for an U17 league last season for those players, knowing and trusting that they'd give back as much effort as we did to stand by them.

No decisions were made about team selection, with money being the priority. We're all volunteers with work or businesses. We'd rather spend our time in other ways than chase an extra dollar for the club over people. We organise teams and help at the club for the people we become friends with, not for the few extra bucks you think is important.

What's that got to do with it? What club someone from??? And yes, you're presuming wrong, what makes you think I'm a man :shock:
Obviously your threatened by a person having an opinion!!! Just relax :roll:
I don't know who your are, and I don't really care.
Sometimes the truth hurts, and looks to be the case here.
If you keeping a 17's team to try and keep your family members and friends happy, good on ya -seriously? There's always amateur clubs for that level that are good homes for these lads.
The ffsa has got it right, trying to get rid of 17's and moving the better 15-16yr old up to 18's. even higher if they can i.e. Raiders, the job they've done the last few years with juniors is a BIG credit to their set up. Great development and some fantastic Young players playing 1st's. 15&16yr olds.
Even a/city, very young 18's squad, won the cup.
Point system has been introduced to help the youngsters progress to seniors and you want to keep them down in 17's and have as many teams as possible. Shame shame shame on you

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

johnydep wrote:
johnydep wrote:
don't do it ffsa.

Ibelieve wrote:What's that got to do with it? What club someone from??
Why are you afraid to say what club you represent?

Maybe you just represent your son's interests? I don't know. Telling us which club you speak for is not a criminal offence. Giving an opinion is fine, as long as you are willing to tell the truth.

bandito
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by bandito »

I have tried reading the discussions on this forum re the U17s next year. The more I read the more confused Im becoming. In very simple terms can someone tell me first....is there an u17s next year and secondly will they all be playing in the JSL. Cheers

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

bandito wrote:I have tried reading the discussions on this forum re the U17s next year. The more I read the more confused Im becoming. In very simple terms can someone tell me first....is there an u17s next year and secondly will they all be playing in the JSL. Cheers
I'm assuming there will be an u17s, and depending on numbers, will probably only be 1 league

JSL, JPL, Premier league, State League, Champions League, call it what you like

And the winner gets promoted to .........???
And the loser gets relegated to ...... ???
Hang on !!!! After all these years, has no one picked up there is no promotion/relegation in place for u17s ?
What a disgrace, we need it immediately, otherwise it will hinder players development, and they will walk to other clubs, .... which clubs I don't know though ?

This is an outrage, it happens all over the world, and we don't have relegation/promotion for u17s ..... Unbelievable !!
Someone call the Pope quickly ....

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Željko Jurin wrote:
bandito wrote:I have tried reading the discussions on this forum re the U17s next year. The more I read the more confused Im becoming. In very simple terms can someone tell me first....is there an u17s next year and secondly will they all be playing in the JSL. Cheers
I'm assuming there will be an u17s, and depending on numbers, will probably only be 1 league

JSL, JPL, Premier league, State League, Champions League, call it what you like

And the winner gets promoted to .........???
And the loser gets relegated to ...... ???
Hang on !!!! After all these years, has no one picked up there is no promotion/relegation in place for u17s ?
What a disgrace, we need it immediately, otherwise it will hinder players development, and they will walk to other clubs, .... which clubs I don't know though ?

This is an outrage, it happens all over the world, and we don't have relegation/promotion for u17s ..... Unbelievable !!
Someone call the Pope quickly ....
So there will still be 'promotion' of U12, 13, 14, 15, 16 teams next year?

I'll carefully read the FFSA DISCUSSION PAPER - STRUCTURE OF JUNIOR BOYS COMPETITIONS; IMPLEMENTATION SEASON 2014, tonight and comment.

Oh, and if the U17's league is stopped; what will the U16's play for - promotion to the U18's?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Clubs received a discussion paper. Read this - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70087

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Exactly .... people are getting excited about no junior promotion/relegation, but no one says 'boo' about the u17, u18 and Reserve leagues that don't have it !!

matty2323
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by matty2323 »

Željko Jurin wrote:Exactly .... people are getting excited about no junior promotion/relegation, but no one says 'boo' about the u17, u18 and Reserve leagues that don't have it !!
surely promotion for those lads is taking the step into senior football in some shape or form? Youth squads (u18's) and reserve teams are considered an extension of the first team, and part of the senior set up. U17s is the cut off for kids at junior level, you either take the step into the senior set up or unfortunately step down to amateurs/quit.