Today I heard

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Today I heard

Post by johnydep »

Anonymous wrote:Letter for a Volunteer Coach:

Today I heard a comment made about me behind my back. I started to turn around and look, but then decided better of it and kept my eyes on the field. My wife hears things like this more often than I do, because many of you don’t know who she is. She tells me what you say. I have received angry emails, full of “suggestions,” about who should be playing where and how I... lost that day’s game for the kids. I thought I’d write an open letter to all of you parents, even though I might never send it. I’ll start it this way: “I am a volunteer.”

I’m the one who answered the call when the league said they didn’t have enough coaches. I understand that you were too busy. I have some news for you. I’m not retired. I’m busy too. I have other children and a job, just like you do. Not only do I not get paid to do this – it costs me money. I see you walk up to the game 15 minutes after it started, still dressed for work. Do you know I’ve already been here over an hour? Imagine if you had to leave work early nearly every day. I’ve never seen you at a practice. I’m sure you’re plugging away at the office. But I’m out here, on the field, trying my best to teach these children how to play a sport they love, while my bank account suffers.

I know. I make mistakes. In fact, maybe I’m not even that great of a coach. But I treat the kids fairly and with respect. I am pretty sure they like coming to my practices and games, and without me or someone like me, there’d be no team for them to play on. I’m part of this community too and it’s no picnic being out here on this stage like this. It’s a lot easier back there with the other parents where no one is second-guessing you.

And I also know you think I give my son or daughter unfair advantages. I try not to. In fact, have you ever considered that maybe I’m harder on him than on the others? I’m sure he hears plenty of criticism at school from classmates, who hear it from you at home, about what a lame coach I am. And if, even unconsciously, my kids are getting a slight advantage because I know them better and trust their abilities, is that the worst thing in the world, considering the sacrifice I’m making? Trust me, I want to win too. And if your son or daughter could guarantee we’d do that, I’d give them the chance.

After this game is over, I’ll be the last one to leave. I have to break down the field, put away all the equipment and make sure everyone has had a parent arrive to pick them up. There have been evenings when my son and I waited with a player until after dark before someone came to get them. Many nights I’m sure you’ve already had dinner and are relaxing on the couch by the time I finally kick the mud off my shoes and climb into my car, which hasn’t been washed or vacuumed for weeks. Why bother cleaning it during the season? Do you know how nice it would be if, just once, after a game one of you offered to carry the heavy gear bag to my car or help straighten up the field?

If I sound angry, I’m not. I do this because I love it and I love being around the kids. There are plenty of rewards and I remind myself that while you’re at the office working, your kid is saying something that makes us all laugh or brings a tear to my eye. The positives outweigh the negatives. I just wish sometime those who don’t choose to volunteer their time would leave the coaching to the few of us who do.

give us a break
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Today I heard

Post by give us a break »

Yep, I know where he is coming from.
Good read - ought to be displayed in every junior clubroom.
Sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I shall defend to the death your right to be a complete fool. - Voltaire

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Very good mate!
I've been there too, just like many others

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

I'm sorry, but the parents have paid fees and are entitled to have their say.

If you can't handle that they'll just take little Johnny to club number 7.
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Fantastic letter....

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Great letter and very accurate for most junior coaches I know.

Four-3-3
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Four-3-3 »

So, so true!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

a. the bloke really needs a decent assistant or team manager
b. get the missus to clean the car and/or have a second pair of shoes kept in the boot
c. you're a coach and that alone doesnt give you the right to do whatever you want - you are still accountable

:wink:
Ignore this signature

always offside
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by always offside »

Bomber wrote:a. the bloke really needs a decent assistant or team manager
b. get the missus to clean the car and/or have a second pair of shoes kept in the boot
c. you're a coach and that alone doesnt give you the right to do whatever you want - you are still accountable
d. treat the kids fairly and with honestly and respect.
unfortunately a small group of suppose coaches are a law to themselves which spoil it for the great majority of coaches
who are doing the right thing.

:wink:

Red4life
In Memory of Dylan Tombides
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Red4life »

Great letter very well written I applaude all our volunteers, they are the heart and soul of every club :D

buggalugs
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by buggalugs »

well said john. a lot of wannabe experts out there and as per too often always left for us to do everything.

Adrenalin
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Adrenalin »

buggalugs wrote:well said john. a lot of wannabe experts out there and as per too often always left for us to do everything.
+1

Steelinho
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Steelinho »

Bravo!

Old Redback
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Old Redback »

Great letter and should be in every newsletter that goes out to parents.

Yes parents are entitled to an opinion but it should be a constructive one.

I have seen and heard plenty of criticisms and mainly from those who are unprepared to help out on rare occassions, alot from those who don't even bother watching regularly or treat training sessions as free baby sitting. Fortunately now I can see largely supportive environment where my son plays.

milandarlingmilan
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by milandarlingmilan »

Ciudad Juarez wrote:I'm sorry, but the parents have paid fees and are entitled to have their say.

I'm sorry ,but I also have paid my fees and still help the club by coaching,
so they can help the club by helping &supporting the volunteer coach
Yes they are entitled to have a say, but not behind the coaches back.
Best way to have a say if your not happy with this years volunteer is to volunteer yourself next year

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

milandarlingmilan wrote:
Ciudad Juarez wrote:I'm sorry, but the parents have paid fees and are entitled to have their say.

I'm sorry ,but I also have paid my fees and still help the club by coaching,
so they can help the club by helping &supporting the volunteer coach
Yes they are entitled to have a say, but not behind the coaches back.
Best way to have a say if your not happy with this years volunteer is to volunteer yourself next year
See tongue firmly in cheek...Thought it was obvious.

OldGold
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OldGold »

johnydep wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Letter for a Volunteer Coach:

Today I heard a comment made about me behind my back. I started to turn around and look, but then decided better of it and kept my eyes on the field. My wife hears things like this more often than I do, because many of you don’t know who she is. She tells me what you say. I have received angry emails, full of “suggestions,” about who should be playing where and how I... lost that day’s game for the kids. I thought I’d write an open letter to all of you parents, even though I might never send it. I’ll start it this way: “I am a volunteer.”

I’m the one who answered the call when the league said they didn’t have enough coaches. I understand that you were too busy. I have some news for you. I’m not retired. I’m busy too. I have other children and a job, just like you do. Not only do I not get paid to do this – it costs me money. I see you walk up to the game 15 minutes after it started, still dressed for work. Do you know I’ve already been here over an hour? Imagine if you had to leave work early nearly every day. I’ve never seen you at a practice. I’m sure you’re plugging away at the office. But I’m out here, on the field, trying my best to teach these children how to play a sport they love, while my bank account suffers.

I know. I make mistakes. In fact, maybe I’m not even that great of a coach. But I treat the kids fairly and with respect. I am pretty sure they like coming to my practices and games, and without me or someone like me, there’d be no team for them to play on. I’m part of this community too and it’s no picnic being out here on this stage like this. It’s a lot easier back there with the other parents where no one is second-guessing you.

And I also know you think I give my son or daughter unfair advantages. I try not to. In fact, have you ever considered that maybe I’m harder on him than on the others? I’m sure he hears plenty of criticism at school from classmates, who hear it from you at home, about what a lame coach I am. And if, even unconsciously, my kids are getting a slight advantage because I know them better and trust their abilities, is that the worst thing in the world, considering the sacrifice I’m making? Trust me, I want to win too. And if your son or daughter could guarantee we’d do that, I’d give them the chance.

After this game is over, I’ll be the last one to leave. I have to break down the field, put away all the equipment and make sure everyone has had a parent arrive to pick them up. There have been evenings when my son and I waited with a player until after dark before someone came to get them. Many nights I’m sure you’ve already had dinner and are relaxing on the couch by the time I finally kick the mud off my shoes and climb into my car, which hasn’t been washed or vacuumed for weeks. Why bother cleaning it during the season? Do you know how nice it would be if, just once, after a game one of you offered to carry the heavy gear bag to my car or help straighten up the field?

If I sound angry, I’m not. I do this because I love it and I love being around the kids. There are plenty of rewards and I remind myself that while you’re at the office working, your kid is saying something that makes us all laugh or brings a tear to my eye. The positives outweigh the negatives. I just wish sometime those who don’t choose to volunteer their time would leave the coaching to the few of us who do.
Good letter.

Ive always been of the belief that those that do the least... complain the most.
"United were good... but they still weren't Wolves!" George Best

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Posted the letter on our Facebook site, got a very good reaction amongst the parents.