JSL

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

develop
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

JSL

Post by develop »

Hasn't been brought up for a while but can someone tell me why we have the JSL league.

Talented lads train hard and play good football each week to gain what at the end of it - no promotion

I would say that the teams finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each age group are as good as B Division teams, but they play and beat teams in their own JSL leagues 10 or 12 nil. It is embarrassing for these bottom teams who should being playing other similar teams in a D division.

If anyone on here is from the Ffsa can you try to explain?

sufc13s
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: JSL

Post by sufc13s »

im not from the ffsa but can offer you a solution maybe bringing these talented lads out to the so called lesser clubs who still offer JPL A divisions as there are generally always spots there and have the same quality of coaching available.. I know for one that we find it hard to get ppl out to trial even with A teams offered as it seems less desirable than playing JSL which has no real future benefit to the good players teams and coaches as they do not have the opportunity to play against the best teams but the stigma of being affiliated with the more desirable clubs keeps them there I say.

develop
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by develop »

Valid point sufc, the problem is players and parents play the teams near where they live and may not want to travel too far for training and home games.

My question is what is the point of the JSL? In seniors a State league team can gain promotion to the Premier league can't they? So why not JSL to JPL, even if it is a clubs second team in the age group.

Faith No More
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Faith No More »

develop wrote:Valid point sufc, the problem is players and parents play the teams near where they live and may not want to travel too far for training and home games.

My question is what is the point of the JSL? In seniors a State league team can gain promotion to the Premier league can't they? So why not JSL to JPL, even if it is a clubs second team in the age group.
If they dont want to travel, or they want to stay in their comfort zone, then either stay at JSL or go to E&D.
There are always lots of the smaller clubs looking for quality players to play in Div A & B.
If 2nd teams had their sides in JPL, you would get what we had a few years ago.
Do you really want 3 sides from Adelaide City playing each other ? or swapping teams as the year went on ?

de niro
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by de niro »

Intent of creating the JSL was clearly to get the most talented players playing in the JPL and get a good, even, strong competition. In other words, players in the 'big club' B team for instance would move to play in the 'lesser club' JPL team rather than play JSL. However, it seems to have failed as a concept because for 'status' reasons, kids (or parents) seem happier to stay with the big clubs, pay the big $ and play JSL rather than move to a 'lesser' club and play JPL. The 'lesser' clubs probably need to lift their game in terms of facilities, coaches etc but there's a chicken and egg issue here.

Faith No More
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Faith No More »

Car in ya wrote:Intent of creating the JSL was clearly to get the most talented players playing in the JPL and get a good, even, strong competition. In other words, players in the 'big club' B team for instance would move to play in the 'lesser club' JPL team rather than play JSL. However, it seems to have failed as a concept because for 'status' reasons, kids (or parents) seem happier to stay with the big clubs, pay the big $ and play JSL rather than move to a 'lesser' club and play JPL. The 'lesser' clubs probably need to lift their game in terms of facilities, coaches etc but there's a chicken and egg issue here.
Agree that smaller clubs need to market themselves better & make themselves attractive to prospective players.
Building a club through its youth is a long term process which i don't see too many doing right now.
If you stay at a club for the name, more fool you. Spend lots of money & be a sheep .
If you want to be loyal great, if you want to test yourself, trial for another club.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

The entire JSL comp is about $$$$$$

If the FFSA are serious about getting the comp stronger, and a team at every club, in every age, there is a simple fix.

Zone clubs in groups, now don't get me wrong, not zoned as in you must play at those clubs in your zone, but zoned areas, let me explain.

Of course these zones are just a rough guide.

Western Strikers
White City
Pirates
Adelaide Olympic
Western Toros

Adelaide Blue Eagles
Campbelltown City
Modbury
N.A.B

MetroStars
West Torrens Birkalla
Cumberland United

Adelaide City
Adelaide Comets
Adelaide Cobras
West Adelaide

Raiders
Enfield City
Para Hills
Croydon

Playford City
Salisbury United
Gawler

South Adelaide
The Cove
Noarlunga United
Seaford

Adelaide Hills
Sturt Lions

Northern Demons

No club within a zoned group can enter a JSL team of any age group unless all teams in that zone have a JPL team in that same age group.

I know, why should another club miss out because the other club is useless, this is a fair point. However this is not about clubs, it's about the federation, and strengthening the franchises they have, not kill them off.

I Know one club who are thinking about offering upto 50% cuts on their fees to get kids over from JSL teams, but at the end of the day if they don't want to come, they won't. Maybe they need a little encouragement by the gov body, supporting their clubs, plural.

At the end of the day clubs can still have JSL teams, they just can't register them until all ages are full within their zones.
Last edited by AL K HOLIC on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

develop wrote:Hasn't been brought up for a while but can someone tell me why we have the JSL league.

Talented lads train hard and play good football each week to gain what at the end of it - no promotion

I would say that the teams finishing 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each age group are as good as B Division teams, but they play and beat teams in their own JSL leagues 10 or 12 nil. It is embarrassing for these bottom teams who should being playing other similar teams in a D division.

If anyone on here is from the Ffsa can you try to explain?
Has been asked and debated, not long ago. Read these two threads:

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =7&t=61801

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =7&t=61801

And these:

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =7&t=47994

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =7&t=53004

develop
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by develop »

Thanks johnydep I must have missed these threads that went out at the start of the season.

If the Ffsa want to improve the standard of the JPL then ban all second teams. Force an elitist situation where only the best players can play and watch the game go down the drain.

After two seasons the Ffsa should review the JPL/JSL structure. If the JSL's purpose is to develop players to move to other clubs then why should coaches bother.

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

And if there was no JSL where does that leave teams like Fulham who have teams in certain age groups that r gd enough for JPL but FFSA won't let them in because our seniors r not aligned to the FFSA.

Where would our 250 junior boys play then?

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

bigpond wrote:And if there was no JSL where does that leave teams like Fulham who have teams in certain age groups that r gd enough for JPL but FFSA won't let them in because our seniors r not aligned to the FFSA.

I think you know the answer. Somewhere else or nowhere. I don't agree with this but it's fact.

bigpond
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bigpond »

barchetta wrote:
bigpond wrote:And if there was no JSL where does that leave teams like Fulham who have teams in certain age groups that r gd enough for JPL but FFSA won't let them in because our seniors r not aligned to the FFSA.

I think you know the answer. Somewhere else or nowhere. I don't agree with this but it's fact.
Well thankfully it will never happen as the FFSA no that all our players = $ so will try to accomodate some how..

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

bigpond wrote:
barchetta wrote:

Well thankfully it will never happen as the FFSA no that all our players = $ so will try to accomodate some how..
Don't get me wrong. You've done a great job at Fulham. You deserve better from FFSA.

Stretch
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stretch »

I went to watch an u14 JSL match on Sunday morning and although they clearly do not have the depth of quality that the JPL teams have, there were some quality players. It does raise the question of why they are not playing for a JPL A or B team. However, after watching a season of JPL A u14, I think the answer is abundantly clear.

Both of the JSL teams set out to play attractive football, playing the ball around and not just hoofing it up the park to the star player. Quite often the move would break down, but they both stuck to the game plan and tried again. Credit to both coaches. When I compare that to 3 of the teams in the JPL A division (and that doesn't include any of the teams threatened with or already relegated) who have quality players, but make no effort to play football, I can understand why players don't always want to join certain clubs.

I think rather than wasting their time setting up zones or coercing players in to certain clubs the FFSA should be coming out and watching more games (apologies to the FFSA if they are already doing this, but I just haven't seen any evidence of it). If they saw JPL A teams going long at every opportunity, goalkeepers never throwing the ball or going short, coaches shouting to defenders to kick it out as soon as they are under the slightest bit of pressure then maybe they would dedicate some of their resources to reeducating these coaches for the benefit of the game and their players.

I know some people will think it disloyal, but I will always go with a coach over a club. If you develop or bring in quality coaches to your club (role models, not the megalomaniacs) then over time the kids will come.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Stretch wrote:I went to watch an u14 JSL match on Sunday morning and although they clearly do not have the depth of quality that the JPL teams have, there were some quality players. It does raise the question of why they are not playing for a JPL A or B team. However, after watching a season of JPL A u14, I think the answer is abundantly clear.

Both of the JSL teams set out to play attractive football, playing the ball around and not just hoofing it up the park to the star player. Quite often the move would break down, but they both stuck to the game plan and tried again. Credit to both coaches. When I compare that to 3 of the teams in the JPL A division (and that doesn't include any of the teams threatened with or already relegated) who have quality players, but make no effort to play football, I can understand why players don't always want to join certain clubs.

I think rather than wasting their time setting up zones or coercing players in to certain clubs the FFSA should be coming out and watching more games (apologies to the FFSA if they are already doing this, but I just haven't seen any evidence of it). If they saw JPL A teams going long at every opportunity, goalkeepers never throwing the ball or going short, coaches shouting to defenders to kick it out as soon as they are under the slightest bit of pressure then maybe they would dedicate some of their resources to reeducating these coaches for the benefit of the game and their players.

I know some people will think it disloyal, but I will always go with a coach over a club. If you develop or bring in quality coaches to your club (role models, not the megalomaniacs) then over time the kids will come.
I seen many JPL14 games this season, only two clubs played consistently from the back, IE keeper throwing out (as all teams play from the back as such)

Skillaroos
Adelaide Comets

I seen a few more attempt it and do it when possible, however once a team pressed them for space and time it was kicked long by the keeper.
Seen top of the ladder side play a few weeks ago and it was long and strong everytime.

Many teams play the ball well, but very few play it from the keeper.

To be honest, all the teams that did practice this as rule and no other rule had iffy seasons and I just wonder if teams are dropped into Bs this year I just wonder how many kids that cost them.

Faith No More
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Faith No More »

+1 AL

Stretch
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stretch »

AL K HOLIC wrote:
Stretch wrote:I went to watch an u14 JSL match on Sunday morning and although they clearly do not have the depth of quality that the JPL teams have, there were some quality players. It does raise the question of why they are not playing for a JPL A or B team. However, after watching a season of JPL A u14, I think the answer is abundantly clear.

I seen many JPL14 games this season, only two clubs played consistently from the back, IE keeper throwing out (as all teams play from the back as such)

Skillaroos
Adelaide Comets

I seen a few more attempt it and do it when possible, however once a team pressed them for space and time it was kicked long by the keeper.
Seen top of the ladder side play a few weeks ago and it was long and strong everytime.

Many teams play the ball well, but very few play it from the keeper.

To be honest, all the teams that did practice this as rule and no other rule had iffy seasons and I just wonder if teams are dropped into Bs this year I just wonder how many kids that cost them.
Skillaroos play outstanding football and I have been very impressed with the job Richie has done. Comets deserve credit for maintaining it even though it has cost them dearly in terms of results this season. I've seen Para Hills a couple of times this season and I thought they were a joy to watch, excellent passing and movement. Adelaide City (despite their recent dip in form) are still passing around at the back and ABE do the same. I've seen Croydon twice and I think they were a far better footballing team when their star player was missing.

One of the teams that are in my opinion, one of the worst offenders in the JPL A for playing direct, result driven football have a JSL team that play beautiful football. The amazing thing is, it is or at least was, the same coach for both teams. I can honestly say that f my son was at the club I would be wanting him to play in the JSL team! Clearly there is pressure for the JPL team to survive at the detriment of playing football and I presume this is not unique to that club.

This is why I think the FFSA need to get out and watch more games and encourage everyone to emulate the skillaroos. Do the Skillaroo's coaches ever speak to the other club coaches after the games or provide feedback to the FFSA? FFSA should turn up at matches unannounced and assess the coaches. They should offer them guidance and come back and watch another game in the future. If the team has made no effort to improve their style of play then action should be taken. This could be done by docking points,but perhaps a carrot rather than stick approach would be better and they award coaches points at a club level i.e. they watch various age levels of a club and give the club an overall coaches rating. At the end of the year parents/kids can go and look at a coaches table rather than making decisions based on the teams place on the ladder. I've heard talk about clubs being given ratings based on coaching qualifications, but not sure when or if this will be implemented.