Junior referees

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Junior referees

Post by Željko Jurin »

I witnessed today a 15yo referee get verbally attacked twice today after two different games, by two different opposition, one a coach and one a female manager

The child actually walked off crying after the second one

As a parent, how would you feel if your child came home so upset, after trying to help out the game here in SA and earn some pocket money

This would have to be one of the lowests acts of adulthood I have witnessed, very very sad to see
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Junior referees

Post by barchetta »

Željko Jurin wrote:I witnessed today a 15yo referee get verbally attacked twice today after two different games, by two different opposition, one a coach and one a female manager

As a parent, how would you feel if your child came home so upset, after trying to help out the game here in SA and earn some pocket money

This would have to be one of the lowests acts of adulthood I have witnessed, very very sad to see
Can't say I've seen it but I've heard enough reports from others to believe this is a common problem. I expect FFSA should have a duty of care to its referees. If this is so then unless they can prove duty of care to these kids particularly for their mental wellbeing then this may become a big libel issue. It's up to the parents to report such events through the right channels.

barney
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barney »

Željko Jurin wrote:I witnessed today a 15yo referee get verbally attacked twice today after two different games, by two different opposition, one a coach and one a female manager

Name and shame......

Push It
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Push It »

I didn't happen to see what happened in the 1st game but I saw what happened in the 2nd and I was totally disgusted by what I saw and heard ! Without these young Refs we will not have a game for our sons to play , people need to realize that these refs are learning there trade as well as our young soccer players , pull ya head in and let these refs develop or we will lose them ! You should be ashamed of yourselves !!!! :evil: :evil:
Last edited by Push It on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Cena
Star Player
Star Player

Post by John Cena »

send the details to FFSA , name the club

Ciudad Juarez
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ciudad Juarez »

go to the abusers place of work

when they do something you disagree with, start yelling and swearing at them

neanderthals
Formerly known as El Paso del Norte

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

Disgraceful!!!
Name & shame I agree! let's get these tossers back in their box...just unacceptable.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

John Cena wrote:send the details to FFSA
We will be

General Tony Cash
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by General Tony Cash »

Are some coaches taking U12's way too seriously?

If it's the game i saw today (well 2nd half), i think he'd be better off teaching his boys to pass the ball rather than "hoof it", "tag" and "hack". :oops:

Ginger Pele
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ginger Pele »

So where were the ground stewards for the offending teams/clubs?

I thought FFSA requirements were that each team should have a person wearing the 'Ground Stewards' vest and making sure there own supporters/parents do the right thing.

I've lost count this year the amount of times the opposition team that I play don't have a ground steward...maybe it was only a few clubs that got given the vests from FFSA.

The clubs have to be accountable and it's just pure laziness and people not being bothered to do the right thing that leads to these situations. God help anyone in my team if they treated a ref like that...I would deal with it myself there and then to remind them of what we are here for.

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Ginger Pele wrote:So where were the ground stewards for the offending teams/clubs?

I thought FFSA requirements were that each team should have a person wearing the 'Ground Stewards' vest and making sure there own supporters/parents do the right thing.

I've lost count this year the amount of times the opposition team that I play don't have a ground steward...maybe it was only a few clubs that got given the vests from FFSA.

The clubs have to be accountable and it's just pure laziness and people not being bothered to do the right thing that leads to these situations. God help anyone in my team if they treated a ref like that...I would deal with it myself there and then to remind them of what we are here for.
Your right Ginger Pele, I guess this is the behaviour they expect and consider accepteable. It could be that they did say something. I suppose they don't want to say too much in case there kids are impacted. Know what I mean?

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

I did not see a ground steward from the opposing team ..... and yes, the people concerned were confronted by some home team coaches/parents, as the boy was alone, 15yo, and upset

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Željko Jurin wrote:I did not see a ground steward from the opposing team ..... and yes, the people concerned were confronted by some home team coaches/parents, as the boy was alone, 15yo, and upset
Well done to them. And well done to the 15 year old.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

General Tony Cash wrote:

Are some coaches taking U12's way too seriously?
If it's the game i saw today (well 2nd half), i think he'd be better off teaching his boys to pass the ball rather than "hoof it", "tag" and "hack". :oops:
Don't forget the sweeper ....

BornStriker
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by BornStriker »

witnessed some very similar to this is a junior game out at cobras today. was there to watch the u15's but was distracted by the game taking place on the pitch behind. constant verbal abuse towards the referee for what looked like an u12's game. Also, by all accounts, the game before the u15's on the main pitch had alot of verbal aswell. I feel sorry for these young referee's, they're learning the game aswell just like the kids they're refereeing!

muts
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by muts »

Ginger Pele wrote:So where were the ground stewards for the offending teams/clubs?

a lot of young refs aren't primed on the use of the yellow jackets
Athletic Supporter

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

hudsona wrote:Disgraceful!!!
Name & shame I agree! let's get these tossers back in their box...just unacceptable.
I have not posted this topic to name and shame, or bring the game into disrepute as I'm not naming anyone or the clubs ..... I posted the above to try and educate people/parents to STOP doing this, there are stories every week

They are kids, it could be your or my kid one day that takes up reffing, would you tolerate a grown adult verbally attacking your own child, who is trying to help out kids to be able to play the game they love every Sunday .....

Drusetta
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Drusetta »

Željko Jurin wrote:
I have not posted this topic to name and shame, or bring the game into disrepute as I'm not naming anyone or the clubs ..... I posted the above to try and educate people/parents to STOP doing this, there are stories every week

They are kids, it could be your or my kid one day that takes up reffing, would you tolerate a grown adult verbally attacking your own child, who is trying to help out kids to be able to play the game they love every Sunday .....
+1
For the Game. For the World.

Drusetta

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

Željko Jurin wrote:

Well said Zeljko. We need more football people like you, in this State.

It is sad that people find it very easy to abuse referees, teams and clubs but so hard to help out. I've been involved at the junior and senior level for a while now, and to me it seems that the level of abuse and anger is increasing at junior games. The parents have lost the plot! I tell them that if they want to let ofsteam, go to the senior game and do it.

We had the FFSA host a RESPECT information session for our coaches. We need to get this same info out to the parents.

Look at this; http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... &p=1087752

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

empower the ref to call the game off if they feel the situation is untenable.
Folks will soon learn to keep quiet when they lose points for their team.
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

I saw the second game, they were big mouth hoons who should have been asked to leave. And in front of the players was even more disgusting. I just hope FFSA act on this.

mancity
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by mancity »

People like this need to be removed from the game.
I know of a similiar situation last year where a coach had a go at the ref on the field of play. The ref wanted to report the incident to ffsa but the clubs said they would deal with it themselves. Surprise, surprise nothing happened !
I watched an u13 school aussie rules game on saturday morning and the umpire had complete control of the game for one reason. Any complaints or abuse from players or supporters he immediately blew his whistle and awarded a free kick for the opposition team. He does this every game, informs both teams, and obviously has very few problems.

oohnanahiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by oohnanahiya »

this problem needs some radical overhauls to see it fixed. one solution is to warn the offending parent(s)/supporter that if they don't pull their head in that their son/daughter will be sub'd out of the game and can't be replaced. imagine the car ride home if the ref was given the power to do this :!: . AND imagine the club's reaction to the parent/supporter involved. :evil:

ZZZZ
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ZZZZ »

[quote="johnydep"][quote="Željko Jurin"][quote="hudsona"]Disgraceful!!!

We had the FFSA host a RESPECT information session for our coaches. We need to get this same info out to the parents.

maybe 1 of your u9 coaches missed this session and some of the parents.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

ZZZZ wrote:
All the SSF coaches attended.

Is this in regards to yesterday's game at Regency?

The Club wants to help all Coaches and parents understand how the RESPECT program works, and why it is being implemented. We can't brake old habits over night, but we can keep at it for change. We also can't go sacking coaches on hearsay, or watch every game, we're limited to how many people volunteer each year. The Club will keep having our monthly 'Coach the Coaches' sessions, to help all improve.

Please send me an email with a quick run down of what happened, with your contact details. Then we can act on any incident that occurred, with coaches and parents.

Cheers,

John

ZZZZ
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by ZZZZ »

johnydep wrote:
ZZZZ wrote:
All the SSF coaches attended.

Is this in regards to yesterday's game at Regency?

The Club wants to help all Coaches and parents understand how the RESPECT program works, and why it is being implemented. We can't brake old habits over night, but we can keep at it for change. We also can't go sacking coaches on hearsay, or watch every game, we're limited to how many people volunteer each year. The Club will keep having our monthly 'Coach the Coaches' sessions, to help all improve.

Please send me an email with a quick run down of what happened, with your contact details. Then we can act on any incident that occurred, with coaches and parents.

Cheers,

John
no not yesterday but again im not surprised - 2 other previous sundays in last 2 months. . but again like you said u cant be at every game.

Offside100
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Offside100 »

Maybe some Junior referees are too junior for competitive games where relegation is at stake and should be nurtured on friendly games? You will wait a long time for referees not to be encouraged to make fair decisions by enthusiastic parents especially game deciding decisions. As long as there is no abuse i think all is well.Also i know that referees in my daughters netball games are sometimes themselves players in other clubs.. and ..sometimes players they are from the same clubs they referee causing all kinds of bias.....If a referee has ties to a club in someway there will always be unfair decisions to the opposing team and this should be avoided. Im not sure if this happens in Junior Soccer or not?
I witnessed a game on the weekend where 1 assistant coach, when approached by his counterpart for a HANDSHAKE told him to P*#@S OFF in front of my son who was one of the under 12 players.
What kind of an example of sportsmanship is that? My son couldnt believe it.
Anyhow i guess anyone can make mistakes ....some more than others.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Offside100 wrote:Maybe some Junior referees are too junior for competitive games where relegation is at stake and should be nurtured on friendly games? You will wait a long time for referees not to be encouraged to make fair decisions by enthusiastic parents especially game deciding decisions. As long as there is no abuse i think all is well.Also i know that referees in my daughters netball games are sometimes themselves players in other clubs.. and ..sometimes players they are from the same clubs they referee causing all kinds of bias.....If a referee has ties to a club in someway there will always be unfair decisions to the opposing team and this should be avoided. Im not sure if this happens in Junior Soccer or not?
I witnessed a game on the weekend where 1 assistant coach, when approached by his counterpart for a HANDSHAKE told him to P*#@S OFF in front of my son who was one of the under 12 players.
What kind of an example of sportsmanship is that? My son couldnt believe it.
Anyhow i guess anyone can make mistakes ....some more than others.
Until people like yourself put your hand up to referee, junior referees are needed and part of the system ............ I dont think we should be questioning any junior referees decisions and how they have come to them, and if they are right or wrong, we all make mistakes, incl players, coaches, parents and referees ..... but verbal abuse towards minors should not be tolerated

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

How about the refs lodging a score out of 10 for each team after a game based on coach, player & supporters behavior, submit them to the FFSA, average the scores over a season and present the winning club with the Fair Play trophy and a $1000 cheque. I am sure they could easilly find a sponsor, I would go as far as to publish the scores for every club at the end of the season. Name and shame I say!
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Three Lions
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Three Lions »

This sort of abuse happens all the time which just goes to show the ffsa has no idea how to handle it!
The ground marshal is normally a parent who does'nt know what their duties are never mind the ability to carry them out.
There should be a zero tolerance to abusing young referees. The clubs need to be fined heavily, thats the only way to get them to make sure their coaches, players and parents do the right thing.
I would hope that anyone who witnessed that behaviour would come to the aid of a young person in those circumstances.
Unless this sort of incident is handled seriously, it will keep happening.

Clubs, it's up to you
Set up a code of conduct and enforce it