smashing teams in juniors

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: smashing teams in juniors

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Fact is, those kids that will play at a higher level are more competitive than those that won't, and being on the wrong end of a belting only drives them harder. The ones that want to give up after getting thumped were never going to play sport at any level anyway.

Kids should be trained to show no mercy, to beat whomoever is put in front of them by as many as possible. It might not improve their football skills greatly but it will stand them in good stead for later life. You never know when goal difference means the difference between first and nowhere.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

knobby26 wrote:all great points never looked at it that way,a team I occassionally watch last year thumped a team 23 -1 and wasnt much fun at all watching infact I walked away and looking on the faces of the boys who were losing they were demorolised thats the only point I was making,like the points of johnydepp,nice one cyril,megabonus and barchetta.
Thanks Knobby26. You query is relevant and fair and certainly worth discussion. My boy has been in a team that has regularly thrashed others. His coach has always kept players motivated and on task. Even though he has sometimes sought to pile on goals he's not been complimentary of players that have scored goals when team play has been lost. I've seen a lot of good coaches and I think most are in this league. The worst coach I've seen made his team do laps in front of us after a heavy loss. The best thing would've been to call them aside and simply talk about the game. Humiliation is not the answer.

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

grumbly wrote:My sons first season as a goalkeeper saw him let in 4-10 goals per game (U9's). He never gave up.
I think he's one of the top 6 in his age group now, certainly toughened him up in goals and made him work. I'm pretty sure if his team were ever up by that much, he wouldn't want them to stop.
Good comment Grumbly. In those games where your boy was being worked is great. If your boy was in a team that was outstanding he would've seen little of the ball. Over the years the weaker teams have had some great keepers.

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

grumbly wrote:My sons first season as a goalkeeper saw him let in 4-10 goals per game (U9's). He never gave up.
I think he's one of the top 6 in his age group now, certainly toughened him up in goals and made him work. I'm pretty sure if his team were ever up by that much, he wouldn't want them to stop.
Good comment Grumbly. In those games where your boy was being worked is great. If your boy was in a team that was outstanding he would've seen little of the ball. Over the years the weaker teams have had some great keepers.

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Fact is, those kids that will play at a higher level are more competitive than those that won't, and being on the wrong end of a belting only drives them harder. The ones that want to give up after getting thumped were never going to play sport at any level anyway.

Kids should be trained to show no mercy, to beat whomoever is put in front of them by as many as possible. It might not improve their football skills greatly but it will stand them in good stead for later life. You never know when goal difference means the difference between first and nowhere.
Good comment, Nice One Cyril. If Kids can take the knocks and still play on, they really love the game and competition. A few years ago a lot of talk was about not keeping scores in games. All sounds great. Trouble is the kids count the goals anyway. Kids have always done this and they talk about there perfomances. It's usually the parents that try and crush this passion.

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Armageddon »

That's why we have leagues, so Tossers can compare scores and points and be heroes! That's why will always be a lifetime behind others, it's all about results, it always takes precedence over development in Adelaide! Must have missed the ticker tape parade for all the junior teams that won the competitions last season rolling down Rundle Mall

knobby26
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by knobby26 »

to all thanks for the discussion but I was only talking about cup games,or is it all about coaches egos and players egos???They can go back in the clubrooms and thump there chest and say we smashed such and such 20-0 man I am a great coach.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Cabbage Leaf wrote:That's why we have leagues, so Tossers can compare scores and points and be heroes! That's why will always be a lifetime behind others, it's all about results, it always takes precedence over development in Adelaide! Must have missed the ticker tape parade for all the junior teams that won the competitions last season rolling down Rundle Mall
You miss the point, it's not about comparing scores, nor proving what a great coach he is, it's about training the kids to play hard for 90 minutes, to maintain that concentration and will to work. If you have the attitude at a younger age that you've done enough after 60 minutes, you can be sure it will bite you on the muscat later on.
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Željko Jurin wrote:
redmum wrote:
Wraith wrote:Lol. Because in life it's always fair and people always show mercy.

It builds character and makes the person.

But then again these days we need to wrap them in cotton wool don't we?

........... let's see your reaction when the other team laugh at him after belting in 12 goals........
Thats where the other coach / parents comes into play and makes sure they are not laughing at the opposition team
Well said Zelko.

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

Hibs seven wrote:
AL K HOLIC wrote:JSL should not be in cup and if anything have their own.
There are a lot of good JSL teams that can more than hold their own against all but the top JPL teams especially at the younger age groups. Para Hill under 12 JSL team got to final of cup last year beating some stong JPL teams (Raiders and Birkalla) to get there.
Agreed Hibs. Same for U12 AC. Are all JPL really that good? Not really.

knobby26
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by knobby26 »

Just looked at some of the junior cup games results and some massive scores and although I see `Nice one Cyril` point of view in his last post but as I say in a cup game its really dissapointing to see such one sided games and as long as there is humilty in victory thats what makes a great team/club.

Phil collins
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Phil collins »

Nice One Cyril wrote:Fact is, those kids that will play at a higher level are more competitive than those that won't, and being on the wrong end of a belting only drives them harder. The ones that want to give up after getting thumped were never going to play sport at any level anyway.

Fact might be that those kids playing at the higher level my have a daddy on the committee

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Phil collins wrote:

Fact might be that those kids playing at the higher level my have a daddy on the committee
:lol: True, but that's a whole other issue.
Danny Blanchflower

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Armageddon »

The point is captain Croatia ( Zeljko" I am a volunteer but have more opinions that raiders have good players" ) that what does a flogging build,,,egos that's what mate! :twisted:

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Why have I been brought into this one, and I didn't even comment ?
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

justmyopinion
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by justmyopinion »

coaches should use some common sence, once 5-0 take off your better players, swap defenders and strikers around, instruct players to play 2-3 touch, thrashing teams creates a false sence of superiority and breeds bad habits like tunnel vision for goal rather than team play, another thing to consider is perhaps not allowing the winning team to do the zigga zigga, teach kids to be respectful and not rub it in too much after a big win.

Hetro Metro
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hetro Metro »

The coach can manage the situation to control scoring without diminishing the boys competitive spirit. There is also a respect thing as well.

Cyril you must have been bullied as a boy

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

Hetro Metro wrote:

The coach can manage the situation to control scoring without diminishing the boys competitive spirit. There is also a respect thing as well.

So what's the difference between Metro beating a cabernet Cup team 10-0 and a junior team beating another junior team 10-0? Kids should be taught to respect their opponents enough to not go easy on them. I'd be more upset losing 5-0 knowing that the other team were taking the piss by not trying.
Danny Blanchflower

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
Hetro Metro wrote:

So what's the difference between Metro beating a cabernet Cup team 10-0 and a junior team beating another junior team 10-0? Kids should be taught to respect their opponents enough to not go easy on them. I'd be more upset losing 5-0 knowing that the other team were taking the piss by not trying.

good points but hard to reply to.
I recall not so long ago criticism being thrown at the various NTC squads being hammered week in week out.
The criticism was around them not performing because of the results???
Now they are doing ok, (because the results are not so damaging) and the program is ok????
Tough one to answer.
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

Just looked at the under 15 JPL league table, it has an NTS (whatever that means) girls team in it. The are in last place played 4 lost 4 scored nil, against 24.

Dont claim to be a world expert on youngerster football developement but can someone please explain to me what these girls are getting from being placed in this league, (I know its not all about winning).

I have a feeling they are not making and missing a lot of chances if any one has watched any of their games can let us know if there forwards are getting any touches. Although looks like they must be good at kick offs.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

They learn how to play 433, skillaroos are the same, they look great in their own half but don't create as much pressure in the oppositions half compared to what they can do under less pressure in their own half.

Hopefully that part comes but is really noticable imo.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Cabbage Leaf wrote:That's why we have leagues, so Tossers can compare scores and points and be heroes! That's why will always be a lifetime behind others, it's all about results, it always takes precedence over development in Adelaide! Must have missed the ticker tape parade for all the junior teams that won the competitions last season rolling down Rundle Mall
A coach has just gone into the A league, he has players in his team that are quite talented and are being approached by many top clubs. These same players tell the coach, if we don't hold our top league spot I will more than likely go to the bigger club.

So does this coach now coach for results for the good of his club hoping they can hold these players or let the boys go even if it means losing up to 5 players.

It's just not so simple at some clubs.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

AL K HOLIC wrote:They learn how to play 433, skillaroos are the same, they look great in their own half but don't create as much pressure in the oppositions half compared to what they can do under less pressure in their own half.

So you have seen the Girls NTC play?
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Big Mac wrote:
AL K HOLIC wrote:They learn how to play 433, skillaroos are the same, they look great in their own half but don't create as much pressure in the oppositions half compared to what they can do under less pressure in their own half.

So you have seen the Girls NTC play?

No I have not mac, however I am stupidly assuming they are trained under the same umbrella as skillaroos, i agree with you, what is the point.