smashing teams in juniors

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

knobby26
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

smashing teams in juniors

Post by knobby26 »

Hey guys/girls,not coming from a soccer/football background I find it odd where teams smash teams by massive margins in junior cup rounds,why humiliate another team by 10 or more goals??

Porky
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: smashing teams in juniors

Post by Porky »

:lol: your solution?

knobby26
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by knobby26 »

maybe by a margin of 5 goals which I think is a safe figure and then maybe set your team a target of completing a certain amount of passes before shooting or swapping the teams forwards in defence.And no not affiliated to any team who has been thumped.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

It's actually a skill to maintain concentration through the whole match when you're thumping the opposition. All these teams that take their foot off the gas are doing themselves no favours when they get older. How many times do you see teams let the opposition back in and then struggle to pick up the pace? If you're winning by 2 you should be wanting to win by 5, if you're winning by 5 you should be wanting to win by 10.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

why cant there be some prelim rounds involving just the jsl teams....and the top 4-6 go through to play against the jpl teams???
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

knobby26 wrote:maybe by a margin of 5 goals which I think is a safe figure and then maybe set your team a target of completing a certain amount of passes before shooting or swapping the teams forwards in defence.And no not affiliated to any team who has been thumped.
I can't speak for all coaches but for sure there are some that switch player positions as you suggest. Guess what? Same result. Fact is, some teams are simply way too good. In such situations, neither team wins unless both sets of players get something out of the experience that helps them grow as a player. To the victors, they need to remained focussed on team play and not become bigheaded. My philosophy is, if a player shows disrespect to his or her opposition simply because of the huge score difference then the winning player needs counselling. Equally, if a player isn't shown or explained the importance of losing then it will be difficult for them to improve. In either case there is little learning done purely based on score. Football, as in any sport, is more than the game. It is life.

Porky
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Porky »

knobby26 wrote:maybe by a margin of 5 goals which I think is a safe figure and then maybe set your team a target of completing a certain amount of passes before shooting or swapping the teams forwards in defence.And no not affiliated to any team who has been thumped.
I was in a cup game in juniors and we were up 5-0 at half time......it ended up 5-5 at full time and we lost 7-5 in extra time....I think it's just fine how it is.....getting thumped by a team happens to everyone. Adelaide City and West Adelaide's juniors used to thump everyone in the NSL days

oneleggedseagull
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by oneleggedseagull »

WHAT???
If your team can score 25 goals you do it. It builds character for the losing team and re-enforces passing and teamwork amongst the winners - practice makes perfect.

This is a competitive game we're playing - What game do you play?

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

knobby26 wrote:Hey guys/girls,not coming from a soccer/football background I find it odd where teams smash teams by massive margins in junior cup rounds,why humiliate another team by 10 or more goals??
Our coaches are told to use their own discretion, but not to go over 12 goals. Better players get to rest, and players that need more game time stay on longer. I've seen coaches tell their keepers no kicks throw the ball out, and players to work on possession before shooting.

Yesterday in a cup game, one of our coaches made changes when up 6:1, the team was still competitive and in control. Players were confident, team work was great, lessons were learnt, fitness and technique improved. Final score was 8:1 and both teams were happy.

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =9&t=53634

http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/vi ... =9&t=55395

Randoman
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Randoman »

i think you should consider shortening your username

knobby26
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by knobby26 »

all great points never looked at it that way,a team I occassionally watch last year thumped a team 23 -1 and wasnt much fun at all watching infact I walked away and looking on the faces of the boys who were losing they were demorolised thats the only point I was making,like the points of johnydepp,nice one cyril,megabonus and barchetta.
Last edited by knobby26 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major Tom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Major Tom »

So when Man Utd are thrashing another EPL team,does Sir Alex tell his boys to take their foot off the pedal?
Put your ray gun to my head

knobby26
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by knobby26 »

Major Tom I was talking juniors here in S.A.

Major Tom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Major Tom »

knobby26 wrote:Major Tom I was talking juniors here in S.A.
I thought it was the World Game. Obviously in a pissant town the juniors are considered special?

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

Major Tom wrote:
knobby26 wrote:Major Tom I was talking juniors here in S.A.
I thought it was the World Game. Obviously in a pissant town the juniors are considered special?
Yes, and so they should be.
Getting thrashed 12-0 can be so demoralising for a young kid that they can be wary of getting back out there on the pitch again.
(luckily Redson is a bit more resilient, and just wants to get out there next week and do better)
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

Steve#4
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Steve#4 »

Major Tom wrote:So when Man Utd are thrashing another EPL team,does Sir Alex tell his boys to take their foot off the pedal?
:roll: that's a dumb comparison...

Major Tom
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Major Tom »

Franco# wrote:
Major Tom wrote:So when Man Utd are thrashing another EPL team,does Sir Alex tell his boys to take their foot off the pedal?
:roll: that's a dumb comparison...
Of course it is.

Let's be sure not upset the little darlings.

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

Lol. Because in life it's always fair and people always show mercy.

It builds character and makes the person.

But then again these days we need to wrap them in cotton wool don't we?

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

Wraith wrote:Lol. Because in life it's always fair and people always show mercy.

No, we don't wrap them in cotton wool.

But when your child is old enough to be out there, let's see your reaction when the other team laugh at him after belting in 12 goals......it's humiliating, and when you're a young child, these things can change your attitude to playing..
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

My sons first season as a goalkeeper saw him let in 4-10 goals per game (U9's). He never gave up.
I think he's one of the top 6 in his age group now, certainly toughened him up in goals and made him work. I'm pretty sure if his team were ever up by that much, he wouldn't want them to stop.

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

grumbly wrote:My sons first season as a goalkeeper saw him let in 4-10 goals per game (U9's). He never gave up.
I think he's one of the top 6 in his age group now, certainly toughened him up in goals and made him work. I'm pretty sure if his team were ever up by that much, he wouldn't want them to stop.

As I said, Redson is a bit more resiliant too....he came off the pitch after their 12-0 slaughter on Saturday, laughing that they can only get better!
But others in the team were very upset, saying they were thinking of moving back down to a lower team...Redson sees it as a challenge, there's no way he'd go down to a lower team, even if they end up losing every game!

(These are not cup games, I have just noticed the op is talking about cup games.
Our last years U10s are now this years U12s...meaning they are now mainly 9-10 year olds playing a full size pitch with real rules for the first time, against teams of 12 year olds who have been playing on the fullsize pitch for a couple of years already. Connor understands that he's playing 'with the big boys' now :wink: )
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

redmum wrote:
Wraith wrote:Lol. Because in life it's always fair and people always show mercy.

........... let's see your reaction when the other team laugh at him after belting in 12 goals........
Thats where the other coach / parents comes into play and makes sure they are not laughing at the opposition team
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

JSL should not be in cup and if anything have their own.

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

AL K HOLIC wrote:JSL should not be in cup and if anything have their own.
There are a lot of good JSL teams that can more than hold their own against all but the top JPL teams especially at the younger age groups. Para Hill under 12 JSL team got to final of cup last year beating some stong JPL teams (Raiders and Birkalla) to get there.

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

I have nothing but admiration for the coaches, parents and most importantly youngsters who are at the wrong end of some of the scores mentioned yet come out to train twice the following week and are back again the next weekend.

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

redmum wrote: No, we don't wrap them in cotton wool.

But when your child is old enough to be out there, let's see your reaction when the other team laugh at him after belting in 12 goals......it's humiliating, and when you're a young child, these things can change your attitude to playing..
If my child is being laughed at, then I will tell him there is only one way to make them stop laughing.

Practice and work hard.

So when he goes off to school and kids laugh at him do I need to come to his rescue too?

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Hibs seven wrote:
There are a lot of good JSL teams that can more than hold their own against all but the top JPL teams especially at the younger age groups. Para Hill under 12 JSL team got to final of cup last year beating some stong JPL teams (Raiders and Birkalla) to get there.

You are right some are awesome and no offence to them, however wasn't one of the main reasons the JSL was created was to get those kids to join a struggling club or another club to strengthen our leagues on a whole?

I understand kids want to be with mates etc and clubs want to hold on to these kids just in case they do grow and develop which is great.

Why not run two prelim cup rounds, pre round one with just JSL and pre round 2 with the winners and Cs (making sure all JSL teams are drawn to a C team) all winners coming through to cup Round 1 or we just suck it up and accept 22-0 as part of our game.

manu09
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by manu09 »

johnydep wrote:I've seen coaches tell their keepers no kicks throw the ball out, and players to work on possession before shooting.
Shouldn't this be standard practice???
Playing out from the back and keeping possession, anything else is just giving the opposition a 50/50 chance of the ball.

Hibs seven
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Hibs seven »

AL K HOLIC wrote:
Hibs seven wrote:

You are right some are awesome and no offence to them, however wasn't one of the main reasons the JSL was created was to get those kids to join a struggling club or another club to strengthen our leagues on a whole?

I understand kids want to be with mates etc and clubs want to hold on to these kids just in case they do grow and develop which is great.

Why not run two prelim cup rounds, pre round one with just JSL and pre round 2 with the winners and Cs (making sure all JSL teams are drawn to a C team) all winners coming through to cup Round 1 or we just suck it up and accept 22-0 as part of our game.
All for anything that will improve the enjoyment of all youngsters and ensure they stay with the game as long as possible. Could even consider a consolation cup to be run in conjunction with the main comp where clubs who lose in either the prelim or first round get an extra game or so rather than having three free Sundays throughout the remainder of the season.

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

There are a lot of good JSL teams that can more than hold their own against all but the top JPL teams especially at the younger age groups. Para Hill under 12 JSL team got to final of cup last year beating some stong JPL teams (Raiders and Birkalla) to get there.[/quote]

Why not run two prelim cup rounds, pre round one with just JSL and pre round 2 with the winners and Cs (making sure all JSL teams are drawn to a C team) all winners coming through to cup Round 1 or we just suck it up and accept 22-0 as part of our game.[/quote]

All for anything that will improve the enjoyment of all youngsters and ensure they stay with the game as long as possible. Could even consider a consolation cup to be run in conjunction with the main comp where clubs who lose in either the prelim or first round get an extra game or so rather than having three free Sundays throughout the remainder of the season.[/quote]

With pre-season starting for many clubs in late January, and often catch up games held mid week, the juniors season is surely long enough. I think there would be many parents who would be glad of a couple of Sunday off!