Under 12 and 13 Zone trials

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Purger
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Under 12 and 13 Zone trials

Post by Purger »

how are these trials run? is it like a training session having a look at the core skills, SSF games or its just a big game?

Jonny Lidon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Jonny Lidon »

Sacred Noodle wrote:Well how about this at U13 West STIC.

After the second trial there was a cut of players ...now all the players cut have been invited back to trial with the reasoning that it was cold and wet at the second trial – After the third trial players were cut and I don’t think invited back.

The second lot of players cut obviously showed more than the first lot cut during the first two trials and would have had to endure the same conditions at the second trial ..which were really quite good for soccer was cold but didn’t really rain significant during the trial session.

Those first lot cut are now back to complete for places with those who have made it through to the final trial yet I understand the second lot cut have not been invited back .... what a debacle

.. edited to clarify that the first lot cut were obviously not at the third trial and so not part of the second cut but have been given a separate trial this week and in for the final trial essentially bypassing the second cut ..what the!? I know the coaches received some calls from parents complaining about their boys being cut and obviously bowed to the pressure and gave them another chance

Well how about this at the U13 North STIC trial on Monday night they made their first cut of players and one of the parents approached the coaches and questioned their decision to cut their son and verbally abused them in front of all the kids :shock: and then came back and abused them again 10 minutes later (again in front of kids). :roll:

The fact is that these coaches are actually putting on extra sessions (5 all up) and have committed to watch every team play individually (similar to Rossenero) to ensure a fair and balanced process, which is what has been told to the parents.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

After the second trial there was a cut of players ...now all the players cut have been invited back to trial with the reasoning that it was cold and wet at the second trial – After the third trial players were cut and I don’t think invited back.

The second lot of players cut obviously showed more than the first lot cut during the first two trials and would have had to endure the same conditions at the second trial ..which were really quite good for soccer was cold but didn’t really rain significant during the trial session.

Those first lot cut are now back to complete for places with those who have made it through to the final trial yet I understand the second lot cut have not been invited back .... what a debacle

.. edited to clarify that the first lot cut were obviously not at the third trial and so not part of the second cut but have been given a separate trial this week and in for the final trial essentially bypassing the second cut ..what the!? I know the coaches received some calls from parents complaining about their boys being cut and obviously bowed to the pressure and gave them another chance
My Google translate cant even work this one out ...... :lol:
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

canayon
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by canayon »

Purger wrote:how are these trials run? is it like a training session having a look at the core skills, SSF games or its just a big game?

Under 12 West zone trails are just small size games. 6 teams of 5-6 players each one, playing each other.
No warming up, drills, skills, cooling off, etc. Really, a poor preparation from the coaches!!!

jamannic
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by jamannic »

In the U12 West trials, only SSF games were played except for 1 passing drill in the second trial. There were no other skills tested, no games on large pitches to test game awareness, positioning, ability to pass the ball, movement etc.

Most people that I speak to are disillusioned with this whole process as some coaches are not independent, profession and transparent.

I will give you an example of the 2 coaches from the West zone who were also the STIC coaches last year. Last year a club did not nominate a particular player as he wasn't in their best 10 players but as all parents think their child is the next Messi contacted the coaches directly and this child was then able to trial. To cut a long story short he was then included in the West zone STIC team and the following year that child has left his previous club and is now playing at the club where the STIC coaches came from. Do you smell something fishy?? This is the type of unprofession behaviour that the FFSA needs to clamp down on.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

Željko Jurin wrote:

My Google translate cant even work this one out ...... :lol:

Sorry about that ..re reading ..cant even work it out myself :D

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

Or how about those players that come out to trial and hog the ball. Saw a kid doing it the other night at trials and the coach said nothing and when he didn’t have the ball he was calling for it. He would have been dragged for it if it was a club game, so why is it allowed during trials?

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Chalky wrote:Or how about those players that come out to trial and hog the ball. Saw a kid doing it the other night at trials and the coach said nothing and when he didn’t have the ball he was calling for it. He would have been dragged for it if it was a club game, so why is it allowed during trials?
In my opinion they are trials, not coaching sessions.
The idea is to identify talent and deficiencies of a player
Once the squad is picked thats when the coaching begins.
If the Kid wants to hog it, let the selector/coach decide if thats what he is looking for, and whether or not
it is what the FFSA are looking for.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

I disagree, one individual player is making the trial all about himself. I heard the other lads at the end of the trial complaining about this individual and how he didn’t pass. There was some real talent out there, boys that I know on game day run circles around this player. What would happen if they all decided to do it! Chaos right. IMO there is not harm during the trial having a word to the lad. Not for his sake because he knows he’s hogging, but for the other 40 odd players that are trying to play the right ball and get noticed. If this is what the FFSA are looking for, I am seriously concerned.

Gabon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Gabon »

Jonny Lidon wrote:

Well how about this at the U13 North STIC trial on Monday night they made their first cut of players and one of the parents approached the coaches and questioned their decision to cut their son and verbally abused them in front of all the kids :shock: and then came back and abused them again 10 minutes later (again in front of kids). :roll:

The fact is that these coaches are actually putting on extra sessions (5 all up) and have committed to watch every team play individually (similar to Rossenero) to ensure a fair and balanced process, which is what has been told to the parents.
I was one of them coaches from the north on monday night and it was a disappointing reaction from that parent but it is right in that we have told the parents of our process which is that we will watch the players in their own teams and also in at least 2 trials before making a cut.

We have had a dribbling & passing warm up before playing a full pitch game in with all kids getting a equal run.

Our other coach stopped the game on Monday night and pointed out that he wasn't after the hogging as it was put on here and explained again what he was looking for in pass & move.

I have no affiliation to any kid or club and understand from my playing days what its like to be cut and we have tried to do it in the best way possible for the players but as Big Mac said it is something the kids will need to be prepared for in the soccer career.

Chalky
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Chalky »

Gabon, your response sounds fair but I wasn’t out at your trials, it was another zone.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Chalky wrote:I disagree, one individual player is making the trial all about himself. I heard the other lads at the end of the trial complaining about this individual and how he didn’t pass. There was some real talent out there, boys that I know on game day run circles around this player. What would happen if they all decided to do it! Chaos right. IMO there is not harm during the trial having a word to the lad. Not for his sake because he knows he’s hogging, but for the other 40 odd players that are trying to play the right ball and get noticed. If this is what the FFSA are looking for, I am seriously concerned.
I am sure the players who share the ball and know how to pass will be considered favourably when compared to a "hog".
I'm sure he didn't get the ball and run with it for the next 60 mins..

At the end of the day you got to a) trust the coaches on whether they identify if he has the skills despite the hogging or not select him because of it.
b) Trust the Kids, they wont be passing to him that often if he never shares it back.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Chalky wrote:Gabon, your response sounds fair but I wasn’t out at your trials, it was another zone.
Chalky, Gabon wasnt replying to you.
He was replying to Johny Lidon.
Bobby Charlton

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

has anyone heard of limiting the touches on the ball???

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

and I didn't even say one word

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

Chalky wrote:Or how about those players that come out to trial and hog the ball. Saw a kid doing it the other night at trials and the coach said nothing and when he didn’t have the ball he was calling for it. He would have been dragged for it if it was a club game, so why is it allowed during trials?

The thing is these players prob don't do it at club and are trying to shine the light directly on themselves, little do they realise they can hurt more than shine, but they are kids at the end of the day.

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

I have not heard of any grumbles from 14 age group, isn't that down at White City with Drago?

I did hear it is very demanding military style running, they rarely even touch balls and are looking for speed not skills.

Los Del Eague
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Los Del Eague »

AL K HOLIC wrote:
I did hear it is very demanding military style running, they rarely even touch balls and are looking for speed not skills.
Which is totally the opposite of what Airton and Richie want! :shock:
The young boys said unto him....."go up baldhead, go up"......so he did, rose like a salmon and nodded the ball into the net......1 nil! :-)

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Armageddon »

Stic trials are dodgy sometimes , some coaches probably have agendas but that's life I guess

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

andrioli and alagich want players that are able to suit the corriculum.....
they need to be skillfull, fast, fit, hardworking, quick thinkers in transition from defending to attacking and from attacking to defending and game awareness......
SKILL IS JUST NOT ENOUGH....so anyone who thinks that stick coaches dont need to test fitness, speed, agility etc u might never be able to produce future talent....
i believe that skills and learning to play a system can be taught in a short amount of time, but if you dont have the rest you will not be successful.....

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

You should have coached Usain Bolt, I'm sure you would have made him successful if skills can be taught in a short amount of time .....

The Socceroos are full of skillful, world class players, as skills and systems are taught in a short time ....

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

zelks i dont think u understood anything i wrote...

im sure u have seen your under 13s play, they tick all the boxes....

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Good to hear, if they tick all your boxes, keep an eye out on the younger age groups coming through also then ....

AL K HOLIC
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by AL K HOLIC »

I heard at the 14s players rolled up with no nominations and some even turned up on the last session and made the cut. Then I hear parents were upset because little Jonny wasn't nominated while as usual the comittee sibling who is not as good is.

Considering kids turned up without noms and some even arrived at the final session why even have noms, why not just announce dates and have anyone come.

jamannic
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by jamannic »

There was 1 boy in the U14 West zone that came on the last trial and made the final team and in my opinion was no where near as good as some of the other boys that were cut.

U12 West zone was supposed to have its final trial last night, only 29 players turned up (for 28 positions) and the coaches have decided to have another trial as some boys couldn't make it. The quality this year compared to last year is not up to scratch, there are a a dozen or so boys that are worthy, but there are many boys who should not be there. Some of them looked slow (and overweight), cumbersome and lack the basic skill level.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

jamannic wrote: The quality this year compared to last year is not up to scratch, there are a a dozen or so boys that are worthy, but there are many boys who should not be there. Some of them looked slow (and overweight), cumbersome and lack the basic skill level.
But are there boys that should be there that are good enough, that missed out somehow ?.... maybe the west in this age group, this year, doesnt have the talent unfortunately

jamannic
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by jamannic »

There were some good quality boys that missed out (that shouldn't) and there were many good quality boys who didn't want to trial out. The feedback that I received from these parents was that there were too many issues with the same coaches last year and have lost faith in the whole STIC trials due to a lack of independence.

If they put all of the good quality players together in 1 team then they will be competitive, but if they split all of the players up into the 2 teams, then in my opinion they will struggle at the carnival.

Armageddon
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Armageddon »

thats what is the feedback from a large majority of parents at the moment, they have lost faith in this system.
Just go back & play for your clubs, that's who pay money to, who run the BBQs, sell the drinks at the canteen & nurture the kids.
Can understand peoples' frustrations.

Sacred Noodle
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Sacred Noodle »

I know of a couple of very good U12 West Zone players that did not want to try out (or parents did not want them to) which is a bit of a shame - there is possibly a slight lack of depth in the West Zone but still some very good players - guess just not seeing all of them - probably happens in all zones for one reason or another though. Would think the South and north Zones would be a similar talent pool a lot of good players from Raiders with their apparently very good junior system, Para Hills etc then Birks Cumberlands etc with some gems amongst the rest ..thats just the way it is