round 2 results

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

harrycripps
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: round 2 results

Post by harrycripps »

Honest reply;

As a parent of a child that is in the Skillaroos I would like to make a couple of observations

1)I agree with the sentiment about kids leaving their club for a year and then having to look to get back to their old team or find another. This was my biggest concern and is not ideal.
2)The scores. The Skillaroos has played three games and has conceded a lot more goals than it has scored, but I think you need to watch the games to understand that the kids get a lot out of these games (how to play out under pressure, the need to use space effectively etc).

If you look solely at the score you would think that these games are completely one sided. The truth is that the Skillaroos has dominated possession in large periods of each game but in the end physical strength has prevailed. Also they have played three very good sides that will probably beat teams in their own league by similar scores.

Go and watch a game and then form an opinion, you might see things differently.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

AL K HOLIC wrote:
rossonero wrote:these skillaroo scores are becoming ridiculous, i know its supossed to be for development but what can you get out of getting belted every week.... i havent seen them play but can anyone give a bit of an explanation of whats going on???

Good luck getting a real honest reply to this. :lol:

Personally I think these same players would develop just the same at their original clubs and would enjoy it more than 8 plus losses week after week.

I feel for these kids, what happens at the end of the year when they no longer have a team or club?

Where are the 2011 Skillaroos?
How many went onto the U/14 development squad? (Not many cos they are asking for nominations)
It would be very interesting to see the data of where are they now, did they get a spot back in their old team, did they stay on etc.

Asking nominations for what???? the U14 development squad has been picked.
You will find Clubs are being asked for STIC nominations, which realistically is for next years Development squads.
Once again you fire up without knowing the facts.

As far as how many from last years Skilleroos are in the U14 squad, a reasonable amount I believe.
Why would you expect every Kid from last years Skilleroos to be automatic choices this year?
If there were no changes from last year I bet you would be the first to complain it was a closed shop, unfair, no opportunities for other Kids etc etc.
Yes the Kids that missed out did get spots with their old teams (because they never left them.)
Where are they now?... :lol: Seriously :oops:

These Kids in Skilleroos this year will have Clubs to go to next year.
I will agree with you though that they should have remained with there clubs whilst still playing and training with Skilleroos (like last year).
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

harrycripps wrote:Honest reply;

As a parent of a child that is in the Skillaroos I would like to make a couple of observations

1)I agree with the sentiment about kids leaving their club for a year and then having to look to get back to their old team or find another. This was my biggest concern and is not ideal.
2)The scores. The Skillaroos has played three games and has conceded a lot more goals than it has scored, but I think you need to watch the games to understand that the kids get a lot out of these games (how to play out under pressure, the need to use space effectively etc).

If you look solely at the score you would think that these games are completely one sided. The truth is that the Skillaroos has dominated possession in large periods of each game but in the end physical strength has prevailed. Also they have played three very good sides that will probably beat teams in their own league by similar scores.

Go and watch a game and then form an opinion, you might see things differently.
I have observed and totally agree.

Dont forget though..it is all about the scores.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

well said harry

Its easier for people to see the scores and then just say 'its crap' and 'a waste of time' ....

Richie knows that 'something' has to continue on next year, and the year after, for these kids and any others that might have developed that were missed

No point taking them out of their clubs, having them for one year, and then giving them back ...... something needs to continue on for them

It's early stages of the program, and I'm sure options are being discussed and looked at to avoid this situation for this group
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Big Mac wrote:.
I will agree with you though that they should have remained with there clubs whilst still playing and training with Skilleroos (like last year).
I dont agree here ........ if development and trying to make these kids the best they can possibly be, they can not be coached by 2 coaches who might have totally different opinions, styles and visions ..... it just defeats the purpose of the curriculum and what is trying to be implemented

Example ..........
We know what the FFA curriculum and Skillaroos installs, 1-4-3-3, playing out from the back, etc.....

And then they go back to their club coach who plays 1-5-4-1 (with a sweeper), and yells out "just pump it long to big Johnny up front" ........ " stay back" ..... and "safety, just boot it out" .....or "pump it in the mixer" !!

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

Where are the 2011 Skillaroos?
How many went onto the U/14 development squad? (Not many cos they are asking for nominations)

My understanding is that most of last years skillaroos are in the u14 development squad...approx 13 of original 16.

U14 Squad size has been increased to approx 20.. Now including players that missed out on skillaroos last year that had developed really well at club &/or with own practices...plus any that've come out of the woodwork....coaching team always looking (surely a good thing to keep options open & being prepared to offer opportunities to others?)

It would be very interesting to see the data of where are they now,
Yes it would be good to see data...perhaps some privacy issues for individual players?...or concern for players welfare in not naming names?..not sure.

did they get a spot back in their old team, did they stay on etc.[/quote]
Def know of one AC player back at club...playing up in age group U15...

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Željko Jurin wrote:
Big Mac wrote:.
I dont agree here ........ if development and trying to make these kids the best they can possibly be, they can not be coached by 2 coaches who might have totally different opinions, styles and visions ..... it just defeats the purpose of the curriculum and what is trying to be implemented

Example ..........
We know what the FFA curriculum and Skillaroos installs, 1-4-3-3, playing out from the back, etc.....

And then they go back to their club coach who plays 1-5-4-1 (with a sweeper), and yells out "just pump it long to big Johnny up front" ........ " stay back" ..... and "safety, just boot it out" .....or "pump it in the mixer" !!
Most Parents who have Kids in the Skilleroos would soon leave a Club that has that philosophy.
It is a slow change, but most of the better clubs for junior development dont have that mentality.
Maybe each week Ritchie could have had a coach from the U13 comp. involved with a Skilleroos training session so that he can coach the coaches as well.
Unfortunately you will not be able to lock these Kids away from their clubs for the next 5 years.
I dont hear the old "pump it" too often these days.
Bobby Charlton

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

Maybe each week Ritchie could have had a coach from the U13 comp. involved with a Skilleroos training session so that he can coach the coaches

Sessions are always open and I'm sure coaching staff happy for club coaches to attend...club coaches just got to make the time & effort.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

hudsona wrote:.
Maybe each week Ritchie could have had a coach from the U13 comp. involved with a Skilleroos training session so that he can coach the coaches

Sessions are always open and I'm sure coaching staff happy for club coaches to attend...club coaches just got to make the time & effort.
Do the Club coaches know this?
I bet you they dont.
All it takes from Ritchie is an e-mail with an open invitation.
Bobby Charlton

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

I dont hear the old "pump it" too often these days.[/quote]

..well man united cup showed this year again that at u15 level clubs & coaches for the most part are just not willing or able to get to grips with the curriculum & playing philosophies...even ZJ,s club chose to not play out from the back or play 1-4-3-3.

..and if it's not happening at u15...it's likely not happening at u12/13/14 either

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

I dont hear the old "pump it" too often these days.
..well man united cup showed this year again that at u15 level clubs & coaches for the most part are just not willing or able to get to grips with the curriculum & playing philosophies...even ZJ,s club chose to not play out from the back or play 1-4-3-3.[/quote]

The new curriculum has not been in long enough to have immediate effect on the older age groups.
TBH this was a tournament where a fairly big reward was on offer, I am willing to forgive those coaches who coached to win.
One day in the future a team will play in the tournament, play to the style of the new curriculum and win it.
Thats when you will know the shift has taken place.
Bobby Charlton

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

Big Mac wrote:

Do the Club coaches know this?
I bet you they dont.
All it takes from Ritchie is an e-mail with an open invitation.
Well..agree...surely also some gumption/interest /responsibility with coaches to make a move...how hard to go to session( or call prior)..introduce yourself...declare " I'm interested"?

spooky1972
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by spooky1972 »

coaches play what they have at hand on the day.

I have not seen 433 played in 5-6 games, trials, cup or league.

I'm sure some are but haven't seen it yet.

rossonero
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rossonero »

thanks to the people that answered my question, then you get morons that just take it out context....
if the skilleroo players, parents and coaching staff are happy with the direction and set up i guess its doing the job to develop these players....as i said i have not seen them play or train this year so cant comment, and even if i did my opinion counts for nothing as ritchy and Co will have a lot more of an idea than me or most of us.

The moyesiah
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by The moyesiah »

what nights do they train? considering they train 3-4 nights a week there is surely one night coaches can get down there.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

rossonero wrote:thanks to the people that answered my question, then you get morons that just take it out context....
if the skilleroo players, parents and coaching staff are happy with the direction and set up i guess its doing the job to develop these players....as i said i have not seen them play or train this year so cant comment, and even if i did my opinion counts for nothing as ritchy and Co will have a lot more of an idea than me or most of us.
these skillaroo scores are becoming ridiculous, i know its supossed to be for development but what can you get out of getting belted every week.... i havent seen them play but can anyone give a bit of an explanation of whats going on???
How was your post taken out of context?
I thought a forum was for rational discussion?
Bobby Charlton

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

And which one of us is he calling morons ??? :?

manu09
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by manu09 »

..and if it's not happening at u15...it's likely not happening at u12/13/14 either
Well my boy is in one of these age groups and they play the 4 3 3 setup each week. Considering it's the 1st year with the formation, they are doing quite well. It's good when you overhear an opposition coach complimenting the structure, style, and composure of the boys in any situation.

What stands out is when one keeper lumps it long and gives away posession 9/10 times, while his opposite number plays out to the backline and as a group they move forward. Attractive football that has all players thinking and working together.

They may not win every game, but they will all have a better understanding of the way the game should be played ie. movement off the ball, triangles and using the width of the pitch.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

manu09 wrote:

Well my boy is in one of these age groups and they play the 4 3 3 setup each week. Considering it's the 1st year with the formation, they are doing quite well. It's good when you overhear an opposition coach complimenting the structure, style, and composure of the boys in any situation.

What stands out is when one keeper lumps it long and gives away posession 9/10 times, while his opposite number plays out to the backline and as a group they move forward. Attractive football that has all players thinking and working together.

They may not win every game, but they will all have a better understanding of the way the game should be played ie. movement off the ball, triangles and using the width of the pitch.
My Sons U14's have been playing 4-3-3 for 2 years also.
Bobby Charlton

hudsona
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by hudsona »

manu09 wrote:

Fantastic to hear..long may it continue! May I ask which club this is being done at?

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Big Mac wrote:Unfortunately you will not be able to lock these Kids away from their clubs for the next 5 years.
Why not ??

The main problem here is AU and the A-League ......... they need junior teams, picking the best of the best with full time professional coaches, playing in the local junior leagues, also a year up like the Skillaroos do (as playing other junior A-league clubs is impossible)
If not, then something that you are saying that cant happen (lock these kids away for next 5 years with FFA/Skillaroos) should happen

Why ??
Look at everywhere else in the world ........ there are village/local/amateur clubs (just like our local clubs here in Aust) run by volunteers, coached by volunteers/parents ..... BUT, then you have the full time professional clubs, ALL with junior teams, coached by professionals who do it for a living (eg. Dinamo Zagreb have a UEFA A full time coach for u9s/10s) picking and taking the best of the best from all those village/local/amateur clubs just like all our clubs.
They then play against all the other professional clubs junior teams, and the talented village/local/amateur club players aspire to get trialled and then picked with these pro teams (similar to what Skillaroos is doing)

We dont have these Pro clubs with pro coaches doing it for a living and taking it seriously, so Skillaroos is the only thing so far that has a full time professional junior coach here, and the FFA needs to continue this through with the next age groups, it can not just start and stop with one age group (ie) u13s

There needs to be FULL TIME professional junior coaches at either A-league club level, or State/FFA level in all junior age groups, and only then will junior development start being serious, and results with better technical and tactical players coming through

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

hudsona wrote: Fantastic to hear..long may it continue! May I ask which club this is being done at?
an u12 team ..... Come to Burton Weds night, 6.30pm ..... they are playing then against the Skillaroo u13 girls

manu09
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by manu09 »

Željko Jurin wrote:
hudsona wrote: Fantastic to hear..long may it continue! May I ask which club this is being done at?
an u12 team ..... Come to Burton Weds night, 6.30pm ..... they are playing then against the Skillaroo u13 girls
What a coincidence, we'll be there too. Lol

best
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by best »

Željko Jurin wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Unfortunately you will not be able to lock these Kids away from their clubs for the next 5 years.
Why not ??

The main problem here is AU and the A-League ......... they need junior teams, picking the best of the best with full time professional coaches, playing in the local junior leagues, also a year up like the Skillaroos do (as playing other junior A-league clubs is impossible)
If not, then something that you are saying that cant happen (lock these kids away for next 5 years with FFA/Skillaroos) should happen

Why ??
Look at everywhere else in the world ........ there are village/local/amateur clubs (just like our local clubs here in Aust) run by volunteers, coached by volunteers/parents ..... BUT, then you have the full time professional clubs, ALL with junior teams, coached by professionals who do it for a living (eg. Dinamo Zagreb have a UEFA A full time coach for u9s/10s) picking and taking the best of the best from all those village/local/amateur clubs just like all our clubs.
They then play against all the other professional clubs junior teams, and the talented village/local/amateur club players aspire to get trialled and then picked with these pro teams (similar to what Skillaroos is doing)

We dont have these Pro clubs with pro coaches doing it for a living and taking it seriously, so Skillaroos is the only thing so far that has a full time professional junior coach here, and the FFA needs to continue this through with the next age groups, it can not just start and stop with one age group (ie) u13s

There needs to be FULL TIME professional junior coaches at either A-league club level, or State/FFA level in all junior age groups, and only then will junior development start being serious, and results with better technical and tactical players coming through

Željko Jurin ffsa should look at employing Dinamo Zagreb have a UEFA A full time coach for u9s/10s) picking and taking the best of the best from all those village/local/amateur clubs just like all our clubs.
then we will see the differance.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

best, I think you need to sharpen up on your computer skills (copy and paste) ..... sorry, but I dont understand what you wrote ......

best
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by best »

Željko Jurin ffsa should look at employing Dinamo Zagreb coach then we will see the differance

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

Željko Jurin wrote: There needs to be FULL TIME professional junior coaches at either A-league club level, or State/FFA level in all junior age groups, and only then will junior development start being serious, and results with better technical and tactical players coming through

grumbly
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by grumbly »

Can't you lot port and moan elsewhere and leave the results thread for results?

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

grumbly wrote:Can't you lot port and moan elsewhere and leave the results thread for results?
Go to the Sportingpulse website, and go hard.....

If there are any results missing, let us all know ...

barchetta
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by barchetta »

I guess the only way we'll know whether Skillaroos works is whether these players go on with it in years to come. I watched many of these boys last year and they did deserve selection on talent but some needed harnessing, particularly in team play. If Skillaroos can do this great, raw talent and vision leads to higher chance of success. Some will be challenged with the team play bit. These boys would've tasted success over the years, getting a thrashing will help them grow.