Can the sport convert juniors into supporters?

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Can the sport convert juniors into supporters?

Post by Con »

The Federal Warwick Smith report into the game & the sustainability of the sport mentioned the recent growth in participant numbers from 1.1 million to 1.7 million.

This explosion of junior & amateur numbers is great, but why do we lose so many of the youngsters in their late teens & why don't they become supporters of their local Seniors & A-league clubs? Is there any one particular reason, or a combination of many?

My random thoughts are:

The pyramid of opportunities naturally narrows as the juniors approach under19s, Reserves & Senior level at their local club;

Time restraints - juniors play Sundays & can't always spare Saturday to watch Seniors who might be playing away;

A-League clubs aren't connecting with local clubs & juniors and are charging too much for entry;

It's a free country & many Juniors are playing soccer-football, but watching/supporting AFL or NRL.

Thoughts on the above & the Smith report pertaining to juniors?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Re: Can the sport convert juniors into supporters?

Post by Bomber »

It seems everyone is so busy nowadays and so many mod-cons to keep teenagers amused. We are saturated on tv with sport (especially if one has foxtel), playstations, i-phones the list goes on.
Our youth it was easy to get bored and I remember the days when it seemed a special event just to watch an FA Cup Final, the one match we'd see live on tv from England. Now you can watch Championship football live, let alone any PL game.
But at least it would prompt me and my friends to grab the ball, go down the school oval and play until we were knackered. After a while we realised we pretty much lived and breathed the game as it seemed more special. We identified with our local clubs and when parents would take us to Hindmarsh for the Ampol Cup summer series in front of huge crowds, the atmosphere was electric. It stuck with many of us.
I see that many teenagers will adopt a club as theirs as they play there, but do they stick around afterwards? Not often enough for my liking. And so often they hop from club to club looking for that ideal balance. Not always their fault, but I remember there was a time there is no way Nick or Jimmy would leave Hellas to play elsehwere - they were the opposition!
I'd love it if we didnt have to charge at local games, but to make ends meet, its virtually a must.
In my case, all I do is talk about what it could be like, what it should be like, but after that, it is up to the individual.
Parents - another issue in that they have so much input to the pathways of their teenage kids. Some will guide, others will almost "order". Sometimes their sons can do no wrong (in their eyes) so if it doesnt work out in a particular club, off they go to try somewhere else, instead of maybe putting in more effort. I know the ones at Croydon who have stuck with it, heeded advice, worked hard, majority got the rewards. It doesnt happen overnight but if you have coaches with a good eye, sometimes parents just need to learn to trust them and go with them.
No easy answer end of the day. Times have changed. And us poor old bastards just have to try our best with what we have to keep a club running! What worries me more than anything, is if the passion for local clubs isnt there now in the younger brigade, who will run the clubs when we're gone?
Ignore this signature

Ginger Pele
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Ginger Pele »

Bomber wrote:It seems everyone is so busy nowadays and so many mod-cons to keep teenagers amused. We are saturated on tv with sport (especially if one has foxtel), playstations, i-phones the list goes on.
Our youth it was easy to get bored and I remember the days when it seemed a special event just to watch an FA Cup Final, the one match we'd see live on tv from England. Now you can watch Championship football live, let alone any PL game.
But at least it would prompt me and my friends to grab the ball, go down the school oval and play until we were knackered. After a while we realised we pretty much lived and breathed the game as it seemed more special. We identified with our local clubs and when parents would take us to Hindmarsh for the Ampol Cup summer series in front of huge crowds, the atmosphere was electric. It stuck with many of us.
I see that many teenagers will adopt a club as theirs as they play there, but do they stick around afterwards? Not often enough for my liking. And so often they hop from club to club looking for that ideal balance. Not always their fault, but I remember there was a time there is no way Nick or Jimmy would leave Hellas to play elsehwere - they were the opposition!
I'd love it if we didnt have to charge at local games, but to make ends meet, its virtually a must.
In my case, all I do is talk about what it could be like, what it should be like, but after that, it is up to the individual.
Parents - another issue in that they have so much input to the pathways of their teenage kids. Some will guide, others will almost "order". Sometimes their sons can do no wrong (in their eyes) so if it doesnt work out in a particular club, off they go to try somewhere else, instead of maybe putting in more effort. I know the ones at Croydon who have stuck with it, heeded advice, worked hard, majority got the rewards. It doesnt happen overnight but if you have coaches with a good eye, sometimes parents just need to learn to trust them and go with them.
No easy answer end of the day. Times have changed. And us poor old bastards just have to try our best with what we have to keep a club running! What worries me more than anything, is if the passion for local clubs isnt there now in the younger brigade, who will run the clubs when we're gone?
Very well presented Bomber

I agree with all of what you said.When I was young we would come home from school,go down the local park,throw down a couple of jumpers(for goals),pick a couple of teams and just play.

The likes of the late John Jacobs(played U17 for Australia),Keith Ryan,Andy Nixey and many others who went on to be top players would be there.

We were all English immigrants who just loved the game and all grew up together as mates and we learned our football by just "playing" just like we are trying to teach now with SSF. Just get out there and "play"

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ginger Pele wrote:
Bomber wrote:It seems everyone is so busy nowadays and so many mod-cons to keep teenagers amused. We are saturated on tv with sport (especially if one has foxtel), playstations, i-phones the list goes on.
Very well presented Bomber

I agree with all of what you said.When I was young we would come home from school,go down the local park,throw down a couple of jumpers(for goals),pick a couple of teams and just play.

The likes of the late John Jacobs(played U17 for Australia),Keith Ryan,Andy Nixey and many others who went on to be top players would be there.

We were all English immigrants who just loved the game and all grew up together as mates and we learned our football by just "playing" just like we are trying to teach now with SSF. Just get out there and "play"
These days the only time I seem to see players kicking the ball around at a random oval are Africans and sometimes some old fellas who play purely for enjoyment. Perhaps the African lads cant afford all of the mod cons I speak of (yet) and are happy to do exactly what we did and make up some goals and have a game. Maybe as time goes on, they will have a greater impact on our game.
Having said that, they still seem to have trouble identifying with certain clubs and their "cultures" and sadly, they dont seem to have the drive to become "club people" and I have yet to see hardly any adopt a club long term and really play for the shirt. Perhaps over time that may change. We can only hope.
Ignore this signature

Coach_Mulatinho
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Coach_Mulatinho »

Africans can have a great impact in our football. They need the ''english'' structure to be able to perform. usually they very fit and keen to learn. Any kid that plays in the streets will be a better player than the club player. it's all about guidance.

jimbo
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by jimbo »

One of the problems I see in getting our junior players into supporters is the parents not being into our game.
How many times have you been standing on the sidelines of junior training or games and all the parants are talking about is the AFL, hardly any of them talk much about our code.
So ther little Johnny gets in the car after playing on a Sunday to rush home and watch the Crows on TV. I get asked on a Sunday morning by parents about how the first team went on Saturday, I say why not come down bring the kids and watch & always get the same answer, the AFL game is on so we watch that instead.

This needs to change for us to really grow as a sport.

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

jimbo wrote:One of the problems I see in getting our junior players into supporters is the parents not being into our game.
How many times have you been standing on the sidelines of junior training or games and all the parants are talking about is the AFL, hardly any of them talk much about our code.
So ther little Johnny gets in the car after playing on a Sunday to rush home and watch the Crows on TV. I get asked on a Sunday morning by parents about how the first team went on Saturday, I say why not come down bring the kids and watch & always get the same answer, the AFL game is on so we watch that instead.

This needs to change for us to really grow as a sport.
Been involved for six years with the junior side of the game and would have to say you are letting your paranoia get to you. I could count on one hand the number of kids who have played in the same teams as my son and who went to watch AFL/SANFL games on a regular basis or on TV.

Biggest issue is general lack of involvement from senior players in the junior set up.
Occasionally available in blue

Con
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Con »

I was involved as a junior coach & a cordinator at a school & club for over a decade. I saw again and again where they enjoyed playing/participating but were not regularly watching TV games or supporting their local Seniors or A-League team. Many parents on the side-line WERE discussing the previous night's or up-coming AFL games even as their children were playing soccer-football in front of them. It's a free world & they can do as they please.

There doesn't seem to be just one reason. My random thoughts:

Weekend wall-to-wall & free-to-air exposure of AFL, on continuously even on club-room screens after Friday night junior training & on the clubroom screen at the same time as the Seniors' game is on the pitch outside;

The majority of children not having Fox TV so as to even see an EPL or A-League highlights package, leading to some children not knowing the names of players or even teams. That's a great pity because youngsters CAN learn by watching & wanting to copy their heroes, & being a highlights package their concentration span can hold without impinging on their time too much;

Time commitments, juniors playing Sunday & their club trying to encourage them just to at least attend home games (where parents have free entry because as fee-payers they are also automatically members), - eg by organizing mini-leaguers half-time games on Seniors day & to lead out the Seniors pre-game.But often as soon as the half-time game is over many parents and kids are out the gate;

Local clubs not usually allowing juniors to skip training to attend the more important A-League season game or final series if it clashes with that training, or indeed parents themselves not wanting training cancelled for that reason.

Peer pressure of AFL-supporting schoolmates or by the sheer & constant exposure to AFL find themselves growing up with it and deeming it more watchable than the soccer-football sport they themselves play.

ps, Green_Manalishi has a point that seniors of local clubs should also have more interaction with the juniors and it is a step in the right direction when those Seniors conduct the occasional junior training night.
Last edited by Con on Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

fossil
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by fossil »

Biggest issue is general lack of involvement from senior players in the junior set up.[/quote]

how true I've asked a senior coach if the senior players would be available to do interactive sessions with training and he said there not coaches so shouldn't be doing it (fair enough) but when does the interaction between saturdays seniors and sundays juniors occur if families have other things going on staurday as well.

ask how many kids will know all the first team players by name and face let alone the reserves and 19's and people wonder why the egg ball game has a grassroots following they play and train (when possible) on same days and gameday for the local clubs to play as a whole from the auskickers to seniors all on 1 day means there is a unified link unlike what the ffsa system :roll:

Ibelieve
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Ibelieve »

Its the POLOTICS and the crap kids and Parents see at club level. Once the kids are grown up, the enjoyment from the game is gone, most parents are out of the scene and most of the senior clubs put mates in to play senior soccer.
The ex players from soccer don't help. Viddies, Ivanovic, Agostinos, etc. Most of them that have played at a high level are only interested in $$$$ and there so called academys. Vidmars sneak into coaching rolls without experience and are on $100K + /year. It's a boys club. These ex players have a self belief they are better than everyone else because they've played at a high level. What about great individuals that unfortunately had injuries at a young age or other committments so they couldn't further a career in the sport?

AFL are better for the sport and promote it better within our school system, and most of the individuals Love their game and give back to the sport through coaching their youngsters for no cash and are worked through the kids ranks as coaches. Valkanis, Veart, Kosmina, etc etc head straight to the top. Demand the $$$ and are arrogont "*^%#@
Who ends up coaching the kids? Parents, if you want extra coaching?? Pay the cash. AND if you get a father that coaches their kid, be aware, their kids are either playing center mid or striker and it's all about their own kids.
I'm not saying all clubs or coaches are bad but the majority are.
So when little Johnny becomes BIG Johnny, the interest locally is LOST