Little Johnny

This forum is for discussion relating to junior football.

Moderators: John Cena, Forum Admins

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Little Johnny

Post by rabbit »

As some of you know, I coached Juniors for nearly 8 years. In that time I saw some great up and coming players with ambition and I also saw players that really enjoyed their football just for the fun game that it is. I also saw some less advanced players, all of which generally enjoyed their football too.
Many of us on here talk about opportunities taken and opportunities lost and throw our opinions around on who should have been picked in this squad, who shouldn't be in that team etc, etc. And rightly so given this is a public forum.
When we talk about this kid not getting picked or that kid not being included and some kids not even getting a look in, we really need to be grateful that they are in the "window" at all.
I have been lucky enough in recent weeks to be involved with a football club in Far North Queensland where they have 1 Senior team, no Reserves, no 19's, no 17's, 16's, 15's, 14's, 13's, or 12's.
There are about 3 younger teams and a squirts programme for the little kids.
The Seniors are in the 2nd Division. They won the league but can not get promoted to the 1st Division unless they can field a reserves team and also a Ladies team.....which they can't do. Yet the future is as bright as ever for the kids.
The Club has great ambition but no heavy expectation on the kids or performances. They love their football and play it purely for the passion they have for the game. Out of the 30 or so kids I have had the pleasure to work with, there is at least 9 or 10 that, in my opinion, would walk in to any Under 11 team in Adelaide.
There is no bitching from parents, no arguing over game time and an overwhelming feeling of mateship amongst them all.
They come up and thank the Coaches after training and appear really grateful for the opportunity offered by this Club to "just play football".
So next time you think little Johnny is hard done by or you think the ref is a cheat just remember that there are others in this great country of ours who have very restricted opportunities but who obviously just love the game for what it is.....a game.
Sounds pretentious? Maybe but if we all go back to just having fun then the game would be in a healthier position than it is now. Ask little Johnny, he'll tell you so.
Last edited by rabbit on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hollygirl
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Little Johnny

Post by Hollygirl »

rabbit wrote:As some of you know, I coached Juniors for nearly 8 years. In that time I saw some great up and coming players with ambition and I also saw players that really enjoyed their football just for the fun game that it is. I also saw some less advanced players, all of which geberally enjoyed their football too.
Many of us on here talk about opportunities taken and opportunities lost and throw our opinions around on who should have been picked in this squad, who shouldn't be in that team etc, etc. And rightly so given this is a public forum.
When we talk about this kid not getting picked or that kid not being included and some kids not even getting a look in, we really need to be grateful that they are in the "window" at all.
I have been lucky enough in recent weeks to be involved with a football club in Far North Queensland where they have 1 Senior team, no Reserves, no 19's, no 17's, 16's, 15's, 14's, 13's, or 12's.
The Seniors are in the 2nd Division. They won the league but can not get promoted to the 1st Division unless they can field a reserves team and also a Ladies team.....which they can't do. Yet the future is as bright as ever for the kids.
The Club has great ambition but no heavy expectation on the kids or performances. They love their football and play it purely for the passion they have for the game. Out of the 30 or so kids I have had the pleasure to work with, there is at least 9 or 10 that, in my opinion, would walk in to any Under 11 team in Adelaide.
There is no bitching from parents, no arguing over game time and an overwhelming feeling of mateship amongst them all.
They come up and thank the Coaches after training and appear really grateful for the opportunity offered by this Club to "just play football".
So next time you think little Johnny is hard done by or you think the ref is a cheat just remember that there are others in this great country of ours who have very restricted opportunities but who obviously just love the game for what it is.....a game.
Sounds pretentious? Maybe but if we all go back to just having fun then the game would be in a healthier position than it is now. Ask little Johnny, he'll tell you so.
Where is my facebook "like" button when I need it?

simon says
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by simon says »

Did I just read that someone wanted $9000 to Coach Juniors for a season?
Not sure where rabbit is but I bet that would go a long way in some of those regional areas. If you Coach juniors for money at Club level, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons whichever way you look at it. Disgraceful really.
Last edited by simon says on Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Maybe that figure was for the position of a Junior Technical/Development director?

The source of the information is not the best :P
Time for some righteous indignation

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

If it was for a Technical Director well yes maybe?, big commitment.
I suppose if people want to get paid to coach and people are prepared to pay it so be it.
I've been offered $ to coach in the past and turned it down for non-paying opportunities (I'm not the only one I'm sure).
Each to his own.
If the Metro senior coach is doing it for $4500, they got a bargain.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

You don't have to be paid to make a big commitment to a Junior Soccer Club at all. And yes, you hit the nail on the head......each to their own. I wonder what he would do if another Club offered him $15,000.
In my opinion, the answer would be obvious. :(

Green_Manalishi
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Green_Manalishi »

It's time the team managers got together and did some collective bargaining :P
Occasionally available in blue

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

The Chairman at Para Hills once announced at a Club function that the Team Managers were the most important people at the Club and without them nothing would get done......have I been reminded of that little statement over the years :wink:

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

rabbit wrote:The Chairman at Para Hills once announced at a Club function that the Team Managers were the most important people at the Club and without them nothing would get done......have I been reminded of that little statement over the years :wink:
Hope the Team Managers Union were never told of that statement :wink:
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

rabbit wrote:As some of you know, I coached Juniors for nearly 8 years. In that time I saw some great up and coming players with ambition and I also saw players that really enjoyed their football just for the fun game that it is. I also saw some less advanced players, all of which generally enjoyed their football too.

Absloutely spot on Rabbit.... :D :D :D
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

sulmona
Star Player
Star Player

Post by sulmona »

Stitch This wrote:Maybe that figure was for the position of a Junior Technical/Development director?

Yeah, no worries, get on to www.metrosatars.com.au , get the contact number for Dino Polisena, Mark Tamburrino, Nick Di Lorenzo, and ask them.
These Guys pull no punches. They'll tell you the way it is.
And next time, show some respect,w@nker

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

sulmona wrote:
Stitch This wrote:Maybe that figure was for the position of a Junior Technical/Development director?

Yeah, no worries, get on to http://www.metrosatars.com.au , get the contact number for Dino Polisena, Mark Tamburrino, Nick Di Lorenzo, and ask them.
These Guys pull no punches. They'll tell you the way it is.
And next time, show some respect,w@nker
Swearing when there's juniors around. It must be Campbelltown thing.
Time for some righteous indignation

one nil
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by one nil »

simon says wrote:Did I just read that someone wanted $9000 to Coach Juniors for a season?
Not sure where rabbit is but I bet that would go a long way in some of those regional areas. If you Coach juniors for money at Club level, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons whichever way you look at it. Disgraceful really.

So, people who charge kids for Tennis lessons, piano/violin/trumbone lessons, private swimming lessons, karate lessons etc etc are all doing it for the wrong reasons? Maybe you are right, it should all be free. Its easy, if someone is good enough to get paid for what they do, then good on them, if you dont want to pay then dont, but dont moan when the standard of your kids training session is s#ithouse!

simon says
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by simon says »

I am not talking about playing the trumpet :clown:
The Clubs in this State are on their knees already and for the record, I am not moaning about the quality of the training sessions either. You brought that up.
I know many, many Coaches who conduct fantastic training sessions and the kids develop outta sight under these Coaches. The odd free drink across the bar and thanks from kids and parents is reward enough. The reported $9K is farcical.
NOBODY is worth that to Coach at Junior Club level.

Željko Jurin
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Željko Jurin »

simon says wrote: I know many, many Coaches who conduct fantastic training sessions and the kids develop outta sight under these Coaches. The odd free drink across the bar and thanks from kids and parents is reward enough.
Spot on !! 8)
Spot Željko Jurin Jnr ......

rabbit
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by rabbit »

Zeljko Jurin wrote:
simon says wrote: I know many, many Coaches who conduct fantastic training sessions and the kids develop outta sight under these Coaches. The odd free drink across the bar and thanks from kids and parents is reward enough.
Spot on !! 8)
Ditto

Jeda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Jeda »

rabbit wrote:As some of you know, I coached Juniors for nearly 8 years. In that time I saw some great up and coming players with ambition and I also saw players that really enjoyed their football just for the fun game that it is. I also saw some less advanced players, all of which generally enjoyed their football too.
:roll: it all starts from the coach & club :idea: there the ones that build expectation in parents & kids :mrgreen: hope you sent your message to the club :wink:
I do not know which makes a man more conservative—to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past.
- John Maynard Keynes