Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Post by Victoria's Secret »

I heard on the radio today 891 ABC, a discussion on fees. Focussed on Campbelltown's almost $1000 for U8's. It can be listened to again, from the 891 website.

http://www.abc.net.au/adelaide/programs ... fternoons/

All coaches are paid, juniors and seniors. And fees are the same for juniors and seniors, all the same. They discussed how the juniors does subsidise seniors.

I am not going to give my view, but would welcome other's after they have listened to the Campbelltown chairman and Michael Carter amongst others.

Blahblah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Post by Blahblah »

Clicked the link and was offered the "Afternoons Show" to listen to......all 3 hours of it. I declined.

JD to hit the topic with aplomb in 5....4.....3.....2......

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Blahblah wrote:Clicked the link and was offered the "Afternoons Show" to listen to......all 3 hours of it. I declined.

JD to hit the topic with aplomb in 5....4.....3.....2......
Listen to the first 30mins and you will have heard the discussion. It's first up.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Here we go again...

Play football for most year around 3 times a week for say $800 inc uniform.

Or do swimming lessons for $210 a term for 30mins a week with no uniform. So $840 a year for probably 100+ hours less

Or play basketball - 2 seasons per year. $550 each season. Plus compulsory uniforms. Plus $5 per game fee for players and each spectator.

Can't wait for my kids to one day stop going swimming and playing basketball and play football instead.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Junior Fees is a huge issue in the game like it or not.
My views are firm.
FFSA needs to put a stop to the user pays more and more system.
In my time it was free at Hellas.

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

BeNatural wrote:Here we go again...

Or do swimming lessons for $210 a term for 30mins a week with no uniform. So $840 a year for probably 100+ hours less

Or play basketball - 2 seasons per year. $550 each season. Plus compulsory uniforms. Plus $5 per game fee for players and each spectator.

Can't wait for my kids to one day stop going swimming and playing basketball and play football instead.

I'm an advocate for football being a value for money sport in comparison to others, but $995 in fees for Under 8's, well there is simply no justification for that. At that age they are not playing on a full size pitch, the matches only go for 30mins or so, and for those young age groups, some clubs only train once a week.

IMO that is excessive.

But if parents are willing to pay $995 for their 7 year old kids to play at Campbelltown, then that's their choice.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

themessenger wrote:

I'm an advocate for football being a value for money sport in comparison to others, but $995 in fees for Under 8's, well there is simply no justification for that. At that age they are not playing on a full size pitch, the matches only go for 30mins or so, and for those young age groups, some clubs only train once a week.

IMO that is excessive.

But if parents are willing to pay $995 for their 7 year old kids to play at Campbelltown, then that's their choice.
Shoot goal
Spot on.
I just like to see the truth be spoken?

GaylyColouredStumps
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by GaylyColouredStumps »

891 :lol:

A station that couldn't give a shiraz about soccer, unless it's to bag it, just listen to Matt and Dave in the morning.

You don't want to pay that much, don't go there.

I paid a cabernet load for my daughter's ballet this year (more than soccer) and have pulled her out because it's a rip off. People have a choice.

Clubs can charge these fees because these days every parent has the next Lionel messi in the back of their car. With those stars in their eyes, I don't really feel sorry for them.
These users thanked the author Sunny Vanilla for the post:
Old Master, johndedes, theorakle, ozzie owl, suzie, thewabster, Za Dom Spremni

Victoria's Secret
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Out of interest what radio station(s) in Adelaide give commentary on AU games each week?

If you listened you will have heard they were using our game as an example but it was more about fees for children's activities.

medicare
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by medicare »

I remember when petrol cost 6c/litre and was shocked when it jumped to double figures. Now its $1.08/litre. I still drive my car.

Football clubs are expensive to run. Get over it.

SILENT P
Star Player
Star Player

Post by SILENT P »

johndedes wrote:Shoot goal

My views are firm.
It's people like you that need to join the committee of a club and find out what costs there are to run such a club.

Just some costs that I can think of;

-FFA fees
-Water
-Electricity
-Council fees
-Purchase of uniforms
-Purchase of sporting equipment
-Referee fees
-Coaching fees
STAY ON YOUR FEET

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

I don't think we've covered this topic before :roll:

I works out at around $4-$5 per hour. It's a cheap babysitting service which is what the majority of parents use it for.

Frank Costanza
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Frank Costanza »

Very good analogy this.

I think the issue for some parents is that the fees are generally required to be paid at the start of the season (or end of the previous season) before they receive anything in return.

Personally i think the fees are too high but if you average it out over the season it seems reasonable enough
WHO TOOK MY TV GUIDE???

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

its only going to get higher in costs as CPI increases on products that are used in the fees.

$1000 is excessive for u8. But as we always say there is a choice. You can either pay to go to private school or you pay for public school. It's the same for sport.

Until the FFA gets say $500m TV rights that would fund clubs like they the AFL does at grassroots level, then we football people like other sports sub as basketball, netball, basebal etc have to pay higher costs.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

I must say I’m amazed Campbelltown pay all their coaches. That wouldn’t happen at too many clubs.

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

magnet wrote:I must say I’m amazed Campbelltown pay all their coaches. That wouldn’t happen at too many clubs.
Probably one of the major reasons they're always one of the top junior clubs, which then feeds through to seniors. If you want your child to reach their sporting potential, you need good coaches and most of them aren't volunteers.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

Nice One Cyril wrote:
magnet wrote:I must say I’m amazed Campbelltown pay all their coaches. That wouldn’t happen at too many clubs.
Probably one of the major reasons they're always one of the top junior clubs, which then feeds through to seniors. If you want your child to reach their sporting potential, you need good coaches and most of them aren't volunteers.
You would have thought so, but looking at the JPL Tables apart from U12s and U16s the rest of their junior teams are
near bottom of their leagues.
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

bman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bman »

Not to mention they have about 5 players in their current senior team who came through their juniors.

Big Mac
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Big Mac »

bman wrote:Not to mention they have about 5 players in their current senior team who came through their juniors.
That's good then.
Out of curiosity which of these players from last weeks squad came through their juniors?
Harvey
Fyfe
Parhas
Ditroia
Hara
Strain
Monaco
Ture
Williams
Stefanopolous
Minomura
Harpas
Halliday
Some people tell me that we professional players are soccer slaves. Well, if this is slavery, give me a life sentence.
Bobby Charlton

bman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by bman »

Ditroia
Piscioneri
Ture
Halliday (limited)
Masone

Arturo Ui
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Arturo Ui »

SILENT P wrote:

My views are firm.
It's people like you that need to join the committee of a club and find out what costs there are to run such a club.

-FFA fees
-Water
-Electricity
-Council fees
-Purchase of uniforms
-Referee fees
-Coaching fees
I was talking to a club secretary about this just a few nights ago. Water and power alone for the club $100,000 this year.

Biggish club with around 250 players - so that's $400 each before you even get started on the other stuff.
Beware of satirical imitations

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Just for the record, those fees include 2 full strips, jacket, bag and ball, etc,!
All coaches are licenced and paid and overseen by a tech director!

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

a grand for an Under 8's. I don't know who's more stupid, the club for trying to justify that or the parent for paying it.

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

What I don't understand is why miniroos are being charged the same as Juniors. Maybe Campbelltown is different but Juniors train far more than Miniroos.

Napoli
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Napoli »

How many training sessions were cancelled this year (7 months soccer season - give or take a few weeks for pre-season)? I heard Campbelltown didn't play for more than just a few weeks due to bad pitch. The younger teams only train once, maybe twice a week not 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) - so your reasoning and comparison to swimming is a little off.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

Napoli wrote:How many training sessions were cancelled this year (7 months soccer season - give or take a few weeks for pre-season)? I heard Campbelltown didn't play for more than just a few weeks due to bad pitch. The younger teams only train once, maybe twice a week not 3 (correct me if I'm wrong) - so your reasoning and comparison to swimming is a little off.
As are your comments.

The equation is very simple.

The costs of running a club are high despite a huge volunteer input.
No-one is getting rich from doing it.
If people want to argue or continually nit pick minor details then get up off up your arse start your own club and show us how it's all done if it's that faaaaaaarken easy.

Enough already.
Time for some righteous indignation

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

SILENT P wrote:

My views are firm.

-FFA fees
-Water
-Electricity
-Council fees
-Purchase of uniforms
-Referee fees
-Coaching fees
I don't know how many times JD has to be told, I have given detailed costings to him twice and others have done the same, but times have changed since he was a kid.

Back then the kids shirts (and sometimes even shorts & socks) were handed down year after year until they fell to bits, even the senior's strips were used for around three seasons before being handed down.

Some of the shirts were so long on the younger kids that the Mothers used to cut them in half so the kids didn't trip over them. :lol:

My wife had to actually do that for every shirt of one of the strips one of the u/9's teams I coached was given.

Pitches were of poor quality in the main and quite often the line markings were so faint you couldn't see them until you got close to them.

Most of the Junior teams games were refereed by the Home team's choice and some were so biased it used to cause fights between the parents.

The funny thing was, even back then there were people like JD claiming that the Juniors were subsidising the Seniors. :lol:
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

magnet
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by magnet »

It’s really not that difficult to understand. As a club you sit down work out what your likely expenditure is going to be. The funds from miniroos, juniors and sponsorship all go into the same pot. The expenditure of the club includes all the things that have been mentioned and senior player wages. Clubs will never tell parents that 25% of their fees goes to Seniors as it simply doesn’t work like that.

Just-Me
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Just-Me »

Old Master wrote:
SILENT P wrote:

My views are firm.

-FFA fees
-Water
-Electricity
-Council fees
-Purchase of uniforms
-Referee fees
-Coaching fees
I don't know how many times JD has to be told, I have given detailed costings to him twice and others have done the same, but times have changed since he was a kid.

Back then the kids shirts (and sometimes even shorts & socks) were handed down year after year until they fell to bits, even the senior's strips were used for around three seasons before being handed down.

Some of the shirts were so long on the younger kids that the Mothers used to cut them in half so the kids didn't trip over them. :lol:

My wife had to actually do that for every shirt of one of the strips one of the u/9's teams I coached was given.

Pitches were of poor quality in the main and quite often the line markings were so faint you couldn't see them until you got close to them.

Most of the Junior teams games were refereed by the Home team's choice and some were so biased it used to cause fights between the parents.

The funny thing was, even back then there were people like JD claiming that the Juniors were subsidising the Seniors. :lol:
Pitches are still bad, does Johnny really need a new shirt each year with his name on it. Lines have not changed. It all depended on club. I understand power and water is ridiculous. But some of these are cost are not required.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

God is an Englishman wrote:a grand for an Under 8's. I don't know who's more stupid, the club for trying to justify that or the parent for paying it.
It does seem to be confusing to a lot of people.

Simple break down -

1) Find more than one option - federation, amateur, school, different sport, etc

2) Get the price and ask what is included.

3) Don't agree with the cost? Shop around.

The customer does not need JD's socialism for controlled pricing, just be smarter consumer.

It's really that simple.

I wonder if those complaining even have kids, or whether they use the same arguments with their electricity, ESL, etc.