Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Re: Very Interesting Today On The Radio

Post by ozzie owl »

Bomber wrote:
fball12 wrote: FFSA should force all clubs to publish Profit & Loss statements every year as part of their licence agreement.. After all, clubs are supposed to be Not for Profit organisations or are they?
My guess is if they saw the true figures of many clubs, the salary cap breaches would be shown up. So there are "figures" and there are "other figures" - guess which ones the FFSA would get.
Ah yes the salary cap, now that's a topic in itself.

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

I'd love to see these detailed costings to justify $1,000 for an under 8.[/quote]

Why don't you email a club and ask for one?

People used to ask for them all the time at AGM's and we just read out the details every year and they soon stopped asking when they found out that the Juniors were actually being subsidised by the club to the tune of about 10% more than their fees and sponsorship dollars combined.[/quote]

So what your saying is that is would actually cost $1100 to have an U8 play at your club?[/quote]

No, I am saying that, when I was at CCSC, we sat down as a committee and worked out exactly how much money came in and from where and then worked out how much money was spent and where; and the result was that the money spent on the Juniors worked out to be 10% more than they brought in.

That included every single bit of income & expenditure and the usage of every part of that money usage by the number of users.
The older I get the better I was.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Imagine how much it could have been if they never got that $1m grant years back! :shock:
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

Bomber wrote:Imagine how much it could have been if they never got that $1m grant years back! :shock:

I wasn't at the club then anyway.

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote:
BeNatural wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote: Why are any players outside of the A League being paid anyway?
Two reasons, Semi Professional players around the world in any sport are generally paid whether it be a small wage or a high wage.

The other reason is, a competitive edge. If you want to win the league and attract the better players to your club at a youth level, then you need to be in the top tier.

No disrespect, but the brand of a third tier FFSA club just doesnt attract the better players. This can be argued, but its the reality of our society.

Interesting fact is Plympton Bulldogs started as a low fee club, but with more players and the need for more grounds, and the bills rolling in, they are now actually charging just as much for their fees then the local NPL clubs.

I do not beleive U8 should be paying $1000 in fees. But what i am saying is that charging $1000 a season for fees for an older age group is not really an issue, when you have options. Hey i want a 70inch TV worth $6k, but instead i have a 55inch TV worth $1k. Options!
But my point is they're not actually good enough to justify being paid. Most NPL players would struggle to play Beazer Homes League but can get paid a lot more over here than you would at that level.
Is there a world standard of which you have to be to be paid to play football?
What's an English div 7 league got to do with here?
If they don't get paid then who's problem is that, if someone offers to pay you to play football then clearly you're worth it to them so your opinion is irrelevant, the only one that is, is the one paying the money.

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

Nice One Cyril wrote: You're presupposing that parents send their kids to play sports because we want them to become professionals. I certainly didn't, they enjoyed playing, it kept them fit and off the streets, gave them a bit of discipline and team ethics and as an entertainment alternative, it was reasonably priced.
Professional? You’d have to be daft to put that kind of weight on your kid but then you’d have to be daft to pay $1000+++ to kick a football. Then I suppose ‘reasonably priced’ is relative, is it not?

N5 1BH
Star Player
Star Player

Post by N5 1BH »

paul merson wrote:
If they don't get paid then who's problem is that, if someone offers to pay you to play football then clearly you're worth it to them so your opinion is irrelevant, the only one that is, is the one paying the money.
Who would in part be....

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Absolute disgrace how juniors are charged so much to play today.
In my time it was free.
Last edited by Tzon on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Football, and more importantly football clubs are more than just kicking a ball around for kids. They can enjoy a healthy pursuit, make new friends outside of school, explore new cultures, learn more about the craft from those willing to teach and develop as people in general.
Bottom line, no-one is putting a gun to anyone's head about paying a price for being a part of a certain club.
If you want to pay and believe its worth it, then well and good. If you don't, then let it be and play with a group of mates at the local park for free.
Being involved in a club, I do think $1,000 for an 8 year old seems way over the top, but who is coaching, what are they getting for the money, are they getting top class facilities etc etc?? Its all relative and bottom line is if CC fill their playing quota, without any whingeing of parents after the fact, then good luck to them.
Ignore this signature

Old Master
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by Old Master »

johndedes wrote:Shoot goal

On my time it was free.

It was the same when I was a boy, but then full-time professional players in the English First Division were only paid around 50 pounds a week.

Politicians in SA were paid about the same as Teachers and look how that has changed.

Butchers used to give away 'ox tails' and Lamb shanks but now they charge $15+ a kilo for them.

TIMES CHANGE - GET OVER IT FFS!

FOOTBALL IS LIFE
The Rest Is Just Details

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

N5 1BH wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Who would in part be....
Depends who you play for, were juniors & parents paying my wage at Adelaide City or Bob?
At Olympic was it the juniors or Theo?
At Metro I actually asked the committee where our pays were coming from and at the AGM they got it out, was it parents? No.

I am now a parent with a son at Metro.
Would I be there if I thought we were only there to fund the seniors?

fball12
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by fball12 »

If Campbelltown have 350 players @$1000 on average, that's $350,000.

Do their expenses total $350k?

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

paul merson wrote:
N5 1BH wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Who would in part be....
Depends who you play for, were juniors & parents paying my wage at Adelaide City or Bob?
At Olympic was it the juniors or Theo?
At Metro I actually asked the committee where our pays were coming from and at the AGM they got it out, was it parents? No.

I am now a parent with a son at Metro.
Would I be there if I thought we were only there to fund the seniors?
Don't waste your time Mers, these peanuts have NFI...
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

Dr Feelgood
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Dr Feelgood »

COLOSSUS wrote:Don't waste your time Mers, these peanuts have NFI...
+1

It's not that I'm old - your music really does SUCK

Dr Feelgood
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Dr Feelgood »

fball12 wrote:If Campbelltown have 350 players @$1000 on average, that's $350,000.

Very likely.

It's not that I'm old - your music really does SUCK

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

No there's not a standard at which players should be paid and you're right if someone is stupid enough to play crap players then so be it. However, there are a lot of very average players in this country being paid to play.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Old Master wrote:

No, I am saying that, when I was at CCSC, we sat down as a committee and worked out exactly how much money came in and from where and then worked out how much money was spent and where; and the result was that the money spent on the Juniors worked out to be 10% more than they brought in.

That included every single bit of income & expenditure and the usage of every part of that money usage by the number of users.
So when are you going to produce these mythical figures?

magicfootball1
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by magicfootball1 »

There is always a small to medium element that pays players, like or not its life. To most part the sponsors and funding helps with most of the payments.

The cost for clubs has gone up and like us normal parents with homes etc... power, water has increased, do you think clubs pay less, NO! they still have rising costs, with the lack of big crowds money is hard to come by so usually people who run the club put money into it to help it grow or sustain, sound familiar, just like A league or even Epl the money is just bigger .
if a club charges for juniors and you can see the growth and development then don't complain, yes it alot but pay it off bit by bit or sacrifice your smokes or drinks for your kids, i have so why is it in this life is everything have to be given for free?

Players and parents expect the free ride or the leg up, news flash ! its hard work and persistence and sacrifice which in this case the club has moved into streamlining, if you dont like move to a cheaper and perhaps some crazy coach or non- football parent coaching your kid.

Football is evolving and becoming more professional not elite, at least Campbelltown have come out and been honest, up front and you know what your getting. Some clubs hide it. so good on ya and good luck with the growth of the club.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

God is an Englishman wrote:No there's not a standard at which players should be paid and you're right if someone is stupid enough to play crap players then so be it. However, there are a lot of very average players in this country being paid to play.

Crap players?

I would hope quality local players like Godley, Mori, Aguis, Artone, Trimboli, Moore, Karlovic, Catanzaro were reimbursed for their performances they have displayed to the SA Football community.

I wouldnt be calling them crap players in Australia's equal second top tier.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

On my time it was free.
But your senior players were paid back in those days.

And where did it come from? the same streams as today, donations, sponsors, club fundraisers, match day catering.

I am sure Bomber and his mates at Polonia have most likely single handly funded their senior teams payroll over a number of years, from their spending at the club bar!

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

God is an Englishman wrote:No there's not a standard at which players should be paid and you're right if someone is stupid enough to play crap players then so be it. However, there are a lot of very average players in this country being paid to play.
Trust me I saw and played against many in England in the same boat, but that's just my opinion like yours, means jack.

Knight15
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Knight15 »

The people 'inside' the Federation hate to admit they pay players even at the Division 3 level.

AFL which we all agree is by far the biggest 'commercial sport' in Australia, with the biggest crowds, TV revenue, marketing dollars, has one semi-professional league SANFL in this state with 9 teams. Football or soccer has 3, do the maths, the quality simply isn't there, the crowds are almost non-existent and there is very little marketing exposure. In order to be able to 'pay' players at Division 3 level, they must subsidise this with juniors, it's simple and obvious

Should be one semi-pro league, with good quality players - might get decent crowds etc -junior leagues run totally separately but with feeder clubs into the 10 or so major clubs - anyone 'outside' the system knows that
Are you Bodo in disguise?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Knight15 wrote:

The people 'inside' the Federation hate to admit they pay players even at the Division 3 level.

AFL which we all agree is by far the biggest 'commercial sport' in Australia, with the biggest crowds, TV revenue, marketing dollars, has one semi-professional league SANFL in this state with 9 teams. Football or soccer has 3, do the maths, the quality simply isn't there, the crowds are almost non-existent and there is very little marketing exposure. In order to be able to 'pay' players at Division 3 level, they must subsidise this with juniors, it's simple and obvious

Should be one semi-pro league, with good quality players - might get decent crowds etc -junior leagues run totally separately but with feeder clubs into the 10 or so major clubs - anyone 'outside' the system knows that
There is more money in amatuer Aussie rules than most get in the SANFL, now let's talk about Hill's and Country Footy.
The fact there's 3 NPL leagues then Amatuers is more a sign of how many people play football in this state.

Just-Me
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Just-Me »

Some people on here get very defensive. It's a forum and we are all entitled to our opinion. Never did I say clubs are ripping off players.
My point is fees are now quite high and really how much improvement has their been.

The pitches we now play on are like concrete. Young players are getting injuries that in my time was only seen in the senior years. With the cost of water I can understand why the grounds don't receive the same care they use to.

Many clubs are now playing coaches, yet the coaching level has not really improved. This is evident from the quality of professionals we use to produce from clubs like West Adelaide, Adelaide City, Melb Knights, South Melbourne and the list goes on.

Back then most were volunteers. Even many professional were happy to play for peanuts. Yes times have changed and to be a volunteer coach these days has so many hoops to jump through. We have made life expensive and some of the practices we have put into place to better our game have just made it more expensive.

Goal line technology is very new. Wait for another 7-10 years. It may become common practice and yet add another cost to our game. It all depends what you want from the game. 90% of the kids just want to go out and have fun. How much fun is it when your a kid and the game is now out of your reach.

My point is we need to evaluate our game and ask ourselves are we heading in the right direction. Some will say yes others will say no. This is the beauty of a forum, we are all entitled to our opinion. At least thats what I thought. Ass-man obviously believes everyone must agree with him. No-one can have another opinion.

themessenger
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themessenger »

Old Master wrote:
God is an Englishman wrote:
Old Master wrote:I don't know how many times JD has to be told, I have given detailed costings to him twice and others have done the same, but times have changed since he was a kid.

Back then the kids shirts (and sometimes even shorts & socks) were handed down year after year until they fell to bits, even the senior's strips were used for around three seasons before being handed down.

Some of the shirts were so long on the younger kids that the Mothers used to cut them in half so the kids didn't trip over them. :lol:

My wife had to actually do that for every shirt of one of the strips one of the u/9's teams I coached was given.

Pitches were of poor quality in the main and quite often the line markings were so faint you couldn't see them until you got close to them.

Most of the Junior teams games were refereed by the Home team's choice and some were so biased it used to cause fights between the parents.

The funny thing was, even back then there were people like JD claiming that the Juniors were subsidising the Seniors. :lol:
I'd love to see these detailed costings to justify $1,000 for an under 8.

Why don't you email a club and ask for one?

People used to ask for them all the time at AGM's and we just read out the details every year and they soon stopped asking when they found out that the Juniors were actually being subsidised by the club to the tune of about 10% more than their fees and sponsorship dollars combined.
Is it April 1st today?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

fball12 wrote:If Campbelltown have 350 players @$1000 on average, that's $350,000.

Shoot goal
Great point bravo.
Smoke and mirrors club culture today is an illusion to charge high fees and raise funds to fund seniors and butter egos running clubs.

Brewie
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Brewie »

Their expenses probably exceed $350k. The balance to break even will be made up from revenue from other sources.

Its economics. If the price was too high then people would not buy the product. Until Campbelltown are struggling to fill their teams, you have no argument and good luck to them.

If you dont like the price, dont buy go elsewhere. Find another provider that meets your price point. No one is twisting your arm to buy.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

So if I was little Johnny today I would have to ask my parents to pay $1,000 plus per year???
My dad would say no way .
I would not have been a star soccer player .

Juventino
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Juventino »

So if I was little Johnny today I would have to ask my parents to pay $1,000 plus per year???
Anybody want to take this one... :lol:

Nova
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nova »

Juventino wrote:

Anybody want to take this one... :lol:
I lol'd