What happened to Greek background Soccer Carnivals?

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

The General
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: What happened to Greek background Soccer Carnivals?

Post by The General »

It was but a few decades ago when saasl club Salisbury Inter use to host an annual Italian clubs carnival, amateur clubs and federation clubs including Juventus combined.
All played on one day ( Sunday ) split into two groups round robin games ( 15mins each way I think ) 11 a side .
Top team each group play off in the final
Was always a good day

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

The General wrote:It was but a few decades ago when saasl club Salisbury Inter use to host an annual Italian clubs carnival, amateur clubs and federation clubs including Juventus combined.
All played on one day ( Sunday ) split into two groups round robin games ( 15mins each way I think ) 11 a side .
Top team each group play off in the final
Was always a good day
Shoot goal

Bravo.

And Florina use to do the same there in Salisbury North.

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

COLOSSUS wrote:
johndedes wrote:Shoot goal

Reality is there are plenty like me who do not attend much NPL these days compared to the old days including the new generation .

FFSA and clubs should start thinking what are they really offering spectators or supporters or followers of clubs not what "we" should offer them.

If the " product" is broke?
What is the FFSA going to do to fix it?

Then we might see value we like to buy or spend at.

Maybe prize money has something to do with it?
Maybe after spending high fees to send children to play or kick a ball at FFSA junior clubs there is not enough spare $$'s to go watch NPL ?
Maybe the continual changes to FFSA formats has lost the customers?
Maybe the continual kicking the ethnic who use to pump big time money into the game has grown wiser and has had enough of it?
?????
JD, you go on about what the club can offer you and then talk about prizemoney??? Do you want prizemoney for attending local matches???
I could post to you what Olympic offers its supporters whether it be through Membership, Season Ticket &/or Sponsorship but I ain't going to waste my time bcoz you DONT WANT TO SUPPORT A LOCAL CLUB. You've created a post here about a Hellenic carnival (which is in the pipeworks by the way) BUT let me ask YOU a question. How many Australians of Hellenic heritage support a local Hellenic club and then how many attend that clubs games on a regular basis, how many don't attend at all & why not???

Don't come on here beating your chest like some MUNGA who knows it all talking about Hellenic clubs when you fit into the category of Hellenes who doesn't even support a local Hellenic club let alone attend any matches.

Either come down to a game or STFU.

I'll even go as far as giving you an opportunity to come to one Olympic Home game AT NO COST to you (I'll wear it personally), meet the hard working committee members & volunteers, answer some of your questions, allow you to watch the game in the grandstand, along a fence, on the Eastern Hill or behind the goals, and then after the game you can tell me about your experience. During all that, go but yourself a Yiros & a Greek beer and enjoy the fine food & drink we put on.

Are you prepared to take the challenge???

I'll even allow the game to be the Hellenic Derby next Sunday afternoon v Westies.

Accept or STFU, which will it be???
Great offer. However, you're the 3rd or 4th to make such an offer & johndedes never accepts.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

I have popped into Olympic a few weeks ago bought a Greek beer and watched a bit of juniors seniors on at 7pm on a Saturday drrrrrr we have other things to do at 7pm .
My point again soccer should be Saturday arvo so people can plan to attend?????

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Good luck to the teams on Sunday I will read the scores on the net.

Stepover
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Stepover »

I have popped into Olympic a few weeks ago bought a Greek beer and watched a bit of juniors seniors on at 7pm on a Saturday drrrrrr we have other things to do at 7pm .
What about those people who work Saturday arvos and find it easier to attend, or attend
one game in the afternoon and then go out and watch another game in the evening?
Or should the FFSA consult your social calendar and try and work out which game each season
you might go to?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

So fish sales are good on a Saturday ? Agree.

And in my books Sunday NPL games are not ?

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Olympic played across the road from you last weekend at 3pm. Did you attend.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Hometown is Croydon Park always I grew up there, went to School, my grand parents lived on Austin St, I lived on Days Rd , lots and lots of memories.....

These days I live in the CBD .

I was aware that the game as on and fantastic Olympic won bravo over the moon with the result .

I read the score on the net on my iPhone .

Life has other things to do.....

Next ?
Last edited by Tzon on Sat May 14, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

P.A.O. 13
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by P.A.O. 13 »

JD you remind me of the bloke that tells everyone he really wants to go to the gym etc but always finds an excuse. You say that games should be played on Saturday afternoon well perhaps if the CBD & other businesses closed at 12pm on a Saturday like they used to that may be considered however many don't these days with 5pm closure the norm. As for saying "BRAVO" to all the volunteers do you not see how your comments are a direct slap in the face to these people????? You're continually complaining about cost, ideas, standard etc but im yet to see you contribute to a solution which i accept is your prerogative but its also our prerogative to defend what we do.

In closing you should know that Olympics home games are played on Saturday nights 7pm with the exception of 3 being played on a Sunday at 5pm (Adel City, West Adel & Comets). We did this to allow those that actually attend games the best possible opportunity to watch multiple games over the weekend........& considering that you rarely attend we're obviously rarely going to appeal to you no matter what we do.

Colossus you should retract your offer. O TSABAS PETHANE.
Miami, its like a big reisling just waiting to be fu_kd.........(Scarface)

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Good luck against wah2.

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

In previous threads, you've talked about the low crowds at NPL games etc etc. Olympic scheduled night Home games (Sat night 7pm) last season and found it to be a huge success for the club. This year we've done the same and for the Home games we consider to be the bigger ones (ie Westies, Conets etc) we've gone for Sunday afternoon. Thus far, our Home game attendances have been even bigger this year than they were last year. You want bigger crowds on one hand (which we've achieved) but on the other hand you want Saturday afternoon games which wouldn't give us the attendance numbers we've had at night. You are contradicting your own argument you peanut lol
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW WNID UP KING

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

P.A.O. 13 wrote:JD you remind me of the bloke that tells everyone he really wants to go to the gym etc but always finds an excuse. You say that games should be played on Saturday afternoon well perhaps if the CBD & other businesses closed at 12pm on a Saturday like they used to that may be considered however many don't these days with 5pm closure the norm. As for saying "BRAVO" to all the volunteers do you not see how your comments are a direct slap in the face to these people????? You're continually complaining about cost, ideas, standard etc but im yet to see you contribute to a solution which i accept is your prerogative but its also our prerogative to defend what we do.

In closing you should know that Olympics home games are played on Saturday nights 7pm with the exception of 3 being played on a Sunday at 5pm (Adel City, West Adel & Comets). We did this to allow those that actually attend games the best possible opportunity to watch multiple games over the weekend........& considering that you rarely attend we're obviously rarely going to appeal to you no matter what we do.

Colossus you should retract your offer. O TSABAS PETHANE.
I don't need to retract it Prez, I knew he was never going to come, EVEN FOR FREE. I proved my point, and quite easily I might add :wink:
Hawkesy wrote:COLOSSUS...........Congratulations, you have won the title fair a square.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Loosing my points,

Just because I do not attend and many many other past players local games every week does not mean we do not follow the game.
This issue is a modern local soccer reality.
The pathetic bagging of people in our group is not good for the game.

It is up to the FFSA and clubs to start thinking outside the square on how to engage us? That does not mean we are going to come and watch every week ????

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Post by United We Stand »

Colossus and PAO 13. I just want to say "Well done" regarding your hard work and how you guys at Ferryden Park have lifted the club. You have been progressive in terms of securing a Home Ground facility and recruiting. In answering JD, you have shown that you have been looking for ways to increase attendances. I understand everyone's frustration with JD. The guy DOES NOTHING to support the game in general and his posts are so disrespectful to all of us who are actively involved with our respective clubs. He sits behind a computer and produces absolute rubbish on this forum.

I, too, have shown him up by "putting him on the spot" by asking pertinent questions and challenging his ridiculous posts. Well done for asking him to STFU, but he is so stubborn and arrogant and will just continue on his merry way. Even his signature,"Soccer use (sic!) to be my life but now I have a life." is ridiculously stupid as he has been actively posting for many years. He IS NOT a supporter of the game. He is just a supporter of himself and stuck in the past,totally ignoring the present set of circumstances facing football in this country. All this at a time when the game HAS progressed and is not a sport on the periphery in the Australian sporting landscape.

I applaud both WA and Olympic for their progress despite JD's criticisms and fondness for the "good old days."
Last edited by United We Stand on Sun May 15, 2016 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

So if you are a POOLS betting man would you mark the game as a high scoring draw for Sunday?

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Loosing my points,

Just because I do not attend and many many other past players local games every week does not mean we do not follow the game.
This issue is a modern local soccer reality.
The pathetic bagging of people in our group is not good for the game.

It is up to the FFSA and clubs to start thinking outside the square on how to engage us? That does not mean we are going to come and watch every week ????
Playing games on Friday/Saturday nights & Sunday afternoons is thinking outside of the square bcoz when you played &/or supported, it was only ever on Saturday afternoons as you mentioned so again you are contradicting yourself.

I've invited you to an Olympic game at ZERO cost to you and you refuse to take me up on the offer. In this instance then JD, neither the FFSA or the clubs are the problem, rather you are your own problem. Have a look in the mirror and there you will find the problem brother :wink:

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Stupid me I have better read the NPL fixtures in advanced to plan my life giving priority to these games instead of assuming the game was going to be played as usual on a Saturday???

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Stupid me I have better read the NPL fixtures in advanced to plan my life giving priority to these games instead of assuming the game was going to be played as usual on a Saturday???
You idiot, the fixtures come out about a month or so before the season starts so are you now telling me that you then have 4-5 months of your weekends planned out??? Get the shiraz out of here you peanut. If you wanna talk we can talk, if you're going to say arloumpes & malakies then piss of you muppet, not interested.

There's a Greek saying JD and it's appropriate to your last post:

Η ΜΑΛΑΚΙΑ ΠΑΗ ΣΥΝΝΕΦΟ!!!
(THE WANK GOES CLOUD) ;-)

P.A.O. 13
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by P.A.O. 13 »

Well you got the first part right..................
Miami, its like a big reisling just waiting to be fu_kd.........(Scarface)

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

This is getting funnier and amusing.

I am saying that I assume NPL games are played on a Saturday dumb me they are not obviously after finding out that the wah2 v Olympic game is on a Sunday . And then at short notice I look maybe on a Friday who is playing on a Saturday . Oops to my surprise the big game is on Sunday . Sunday historically in my mind frame is not a NPL playing day but a saasl playing day eg I think where is Florina playing at short notice.

That is my point.

Unfortunately Sunday tomorrow I have a religious function to attend.
Today I am free to watch an NPL game hoping it was Olympic v wah2.

Please continue Sunday NPL fixtures ?
I think it is a bad move.

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

johndedes wrote:That is my point.
All this time I didn't think you had one.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Spoiler Alert wrote:
What is his point?

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

ozzie owl wrote:
Spoiler Alert wrote:
What is his point?
That is.

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

This is getting funnier and amusing.

I am saying that I assume NPL games are played on a Saturday dumb me they are not obviously after finding out that the wah2 v Olympic game is on a Sunday . And then at short notice I look maybe on a Friday who is playing on a Saturday . Oops to my surprise the big game is on Sunday . Sunday historically in my mind frame is not a NPL playing day but a saasl playing day eg I think where is Florina playing at short notice.

That is my point.

Unfortunately Sunday tomorrow I have a religious function to attend.
Today I am free to watch an NPL game hoping it was Olympic v wah2.

Please continue Sunday NPL fixtures ?
I think it is a bad move.
Olympic v West Adelaide is NEXT Sunday, NOT TOMORROW.
Olympic is playing Home tonight @ 7pm v AU and West Adelaide is playing Home today v Croydon in half an hour.
If you want the fixtures, they aren't hard to obtain. Try FoxSportsPulse ;-)

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

Where can I find FoxSportsPulse?

COLOSSUS
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by COLOSSUS »

Spoiler Alert wrote:
Spoiler Alert wrote: What is his point?
That is.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler Alert
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spoiler Alert »

COLOSSUS wrote:
Spoiler Alert wrote:
Spoiler Alert wrote: What is his point?
That is.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hey, don't make it sound like I answered my own question.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Oops again got the Sunday wrong, this fixture business for NPL is confusing , got to plan head if the fixture game here .
Last edited by Tzon on Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

United We Stand
Star Player
Star Player

Post by United We Stand »

Oops again got the Sunday wrong, this fixture business for NPL is confusing , got to bra head if the fixture game here .

The NPL fixtures are confusing.
My spelling mistakes are due to the difficulty with the damn iPhone.
My appalling grammar is due to the damn iPhone.
The grounds are too far away from the CBD.
I couldn't attend the international at the Adelaide Oval as I was celebrating my birthday.
I couldn't attend the A-League Grand Final as it was Orthodox Easter Sunday.
I couldn't attend another game due to a religious function.
I couldn't accept Forum contributors' offers ( A number of times) of paying my entrance fee to a local game, as my diary was full of non-soccer events.
I had the vision of legally separating the juniors from the seniors, but the club asked me to vacate my position at the Juniors and leave.
Soccer use (sic!) to be my life, but now I have a life. However, I will post about soccer on Football News for 16 years.
The SAASL should take over the running of the local game, but I will nominate to be a director of the FFSA.
I nominated to be a FFSA Director, but no-one would agree to be my referee.
Kilburn is a mistake for West Adelaide, but Gillman with a 45K terraced stadium and with youth practice pitches around it, is a better option.
I attended a training camp for an Australian youth team, but Rudi Gutendorf never picked me for an official international.
It is a disgrace that Adelaide United have a side in the local league, but it was also a disgrace that the old SASF denied entry to Adelaide City and West Adelaide.
People on this forum unfairly "bully" me, but I have done nothing to deserve this.
Some of my posts have been cut by FN but I do not know why.
I lament the demise of Greek soccer carnivals, but I will not lift a finger to try and revive them again.
I have been told that I use the question mark incorrectly, but I will continue to use it as I please.

Has anyone else spotted the pattern here? Is this man always absolving himself of all responsibility or what? :lol: :lol: