SASF v FFSA NPL - Crowd numbers & Prize Money

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

SASF v FFSA NPL - Crowd numbers & Prize Money

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Good morning.
I have been banned twice for bringing this important topic for discussion because I keep posting in wrong threads started by other users, thus ignoring forumites.

I bumped into an old Adelaide NSL great recently and this was a topic we discussed.

What was obvious that today in the FFSA NPL crowds are low and prize money is very, very low compared to the good old days of pre NSL .

Q: What are the solutions to bring back better sustainability for local clubs?
Last edited by Tzon on Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Re: SASF v FFSA NPL - Crowd numbers & Prize Money

Post by Lucas Leiva »

johndedes wrote:Shoot goal

Sustainability is up to the clubs themselves and the budgets they impose fully aware of how much they'll earn if they win the trophy they invest in.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

Good morning.
I have been banned twice for bringing this important topic for discussion because I keep posting in wrong threads started by other users, thus ignoring forumites.
I bumped into an old Adelaide NSL great recently and this was a topic we discussed.

What was obvious that today in the FFSA NPL crowds are low and prize money is very, very low compared to the good old days of pre NSL .

what was the prizemoney back in the 70's ???

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Lucas Leiva wrote:

Sustainability is up to the clubs themselves and the budgets they impose fully aware of how much they'll earn if they win the trophy they invest in.
Certainly the prize money is small percentage of the wages spent on players to win it, and the PPS has done little to change this.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

bloodypassit wrote:

Good morning.

what was the prizemoney back in the 70's ???
B27

alwaysoffside
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by alwaysoffside »

Good morning.

TBF there are less of the Shady and unscrupulous characters who used
the clubs to launder their money, like The Good Old days.
X marks the spot.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

I was after some data from the fn gurus, FFSA gurus etc to the topic?

Ok if you remember the Ampol Cup Night series pre NSL .
Data I have is the championship prize available to the winning club was approx the value of a courtyard block say in the north western close city suburbs eg $225,000 approx today.
Crowds were obviously larger back then.

If you remember early 1990's ethnic name ban came in and also new sponsor " West End" and the prize money was larger then than today . When I say larger compare what you can buy then than now with the prize money . Eg late 1960's you could buy a house on a quarter acre block in Croydon Park for approx $9,000.

So just some simple maths shows today prize money for say a FFSA championship should be at least $250,000 to the winner minimum.

Stitch This
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Stitch This »

johndedes wrote:So just some simple maths shows today prize money for say a FFSA championship should be at least $250,000 to the winner minimum.
Get the juniors to pay for it.

Simple enough
Time for some righteous indignation

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Stitch This wrote:
johndedes wrote:So just some simple maths shows today prize money for say a FFSA championship should be at least $250,000 to the winner minimum.

Simple enough
Shoot goal
FFSA should be today getting the sponsorship prize money??????

Blahblah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Blahblah »

JD, simple maths is using the published inflation amounts, which gives you around AUD105,000 today. It was a different world though, JD, you have to adjust your expectations to match the environment the game is operating in.............unless you are a Time Lord and have a Tardis, in which case forget everything I said, grab your sonic screwdriver and make it so.

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Stitch This wrote:

Simple enough
Or paid for by next FFSA TV deal with Beinsport. :wink:

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Ok some interesting comments but you have to agree the FFSA NPL prize money issue is super important for the future of the local game.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Brian the Postman »

Ok some interesting comments but you have to agree the FFSA NPL prize money issue is super important for the future of the local game.
How is it super important for the future of the local game given that it only affects a small proportion of the total stakeholders?
It's all in the Delivery!

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Brian the Postman wrote:

How is it super important for the future of the local game given that it only affects a small proportion of the total stakeholders?
Shoot goal
It is not about winner takes all but as the old days a a tiered prize structure .

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

johndedes wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:

Shoot goal
It is not about winner takes all but as the old days a a tiered prize structure .
I didn't suggest it was, even if it was top 3 prize money that's still a very small proportion of the total stakeholders, how does this make it super important at the expense of issues such as the administration of the game, facilities, player participation rates etc?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Most if not all professional sports or say semi professional have championship prize money.

The game is not only for feathering purses at admin level .
Or charging say $800 pa for under 10 junior soccer plus plus ....

At present it all appears a kind of slave trade ????

Eg for clubs to try survive they need a high fee junior system, senior crowds are hardly there and where is the prize money????

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Most if not all professional sports or say semi professional have championship prize money.

The game is not only for feathering purses at admin level .
Or charging say $800 pa for under 10 junior soccer plus plus ....

At present it all appears a kind of slave trade ????

Eg for clubs to try survive they need a high fee junior system, senior crowds are hardly there and where is the prize money????
How is it slave trade???

If you are going to post outlandish and preposterous musings at least have the balls to back it up.

No-one is forcing the clubs to charge what they charge, as no-one is forcing the junior players to play.

Where do you suggest this prize money, which only benefits a few, will come from?

Even if the prize money got to $100k, there are clubs out there that would spend $200k to get it.

Soccer-Mad
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Soccer-Mad »

I dont think clubs consider the prise money as such. they spend what they have/can to try and win the thing. It is pride and satisfaction. Of course the prise money comes in handy for the evenutual winner, but I dioubt its a consideration.
But I believe the FFSA has down graded the comp by entering AU youth. Itis purely a training ground for AU at the established clubs cost. Therefore is it worth the cost today?
I would be considering a break away league or joing the Sunday leagues instead.

Soccer-Mad
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Soccer-Mad »

I dont think clubs consider the prise money as such. they spend what they have/can to try and win the thing. It is pride and satisfaction. Of course the prise money comes in handy for the evenutual winner, but I dioubt its a consideration.
But I believe the FFSA has down graded the comp by entering AU youth. Itis purely a training ground for AU at the established clubs cost. Therefore is it worth the cost today?

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Soccer-Mad wrote:I dont think clubs consider the prise money as such. they spend what they have/can to try and win the thing. It is pride and satisfaction. Of course the prise money comes in handy for the evenutual winner, but I dioubt its a consideration.
Was it considered downgraded when West Adelaide and Adelaide City entered their youth teams?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Brian the Postman wrote:
Soccer-Mad wrote:I dont think clubs consider the prise money as such. they spend what they have/can to try and win the thing. It is pride and satisfaction. Of course the prise money comes in handy for the evenutual winner, but I dioubt its a consideration.
Was it considered downgraded when West Adelaide and Adelaide City entered their youth teams?
Shoot goal

Wah and AC at first not allowed to stay in sasf div one in 1977.
It was the most stupid act the sasf did back then.
Ramifications are the state of the local game today. Eg no prize money, high junior fees, high admin costs etc etc
Last edited by Tzon on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Yes agree now that AU are in FFSA NPL it is just a training league for them thus the league is devalued.

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Sasf in the old days had prize money sponsors such as Ampol, Coca-Cola, West End.

It is up to FFSA to get prize money sponsors not clubs.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

johndedes wrote:
Brian the Postman wrote:
Shoot goal

Wah and AC at first not allowed to stay in sasf div one in 1977.
It was the most stupid act the sasf did back then.
Ramifications are the state of the local game today. Eg no prize money, high junior fees, high admin costs etc etc
So would it have been degraded then?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

Brian the postman????

Your comment shows how you have not really experienced local soccer history to try move the game forward today no idea sorry mate!!!!

It was voted by one vote in the old sasf not to allow AC and Wah stay in the local Div 1 in 1977 a disgrace. Guess who voted against it???? Back then????

AC and Wah back then could have fielded two very competitive teams each in the sasf Div 1 with the over flowing player stocks they had.

Having AC and Wah stay in the local Comp from the beginning of the old NSL would have strengthed the local comp further not devalue it . AC and Wah back then had the support and finances to leverage the competition and in turn help the other local clubs by way of crowd number support at local games eg against AC and Wah etc etc.
There was dual rego for local players back then eg sasf and NSL .
The Comp was in winter dual aligned .
NSL games played on Sunday .

Today it is different not the same environment and ethnic background clubs have lost support compared to the old days.

Brian the Postman
Star Player
Star Player

Brian the postman????

Your comment shows how you have not really experienced local soccer history to try move the game forward today no idea sorry mate!!!!

It was voted by one vote in the old sasf not to allow AC and Wah stay in the local Div 1 in 1977 a disgrace. Guess who voted against it???? Back then????

AC and Wah back then could have fielded two very competitive teams each in the sasf Div 1 with the over flowing player stocks they had.

Having AC and Wah stay in the local Comp from the beginning of the old NSL would have strengthed the local comp further not devalue it . AC and Wah back then had the support and finances to leverage the competition and in turn help the other local clubs by way of crowd number support at local games eg against AC and Wah etc etc.
There was dual rego for local players back then eg sasf and NSL .
The Comp was in winter dual aligned .
NSL games played on Sunday .

Today it is different not the same environment and ethnic background clubs have lost support compared to the old days.
So you're advocating one set of rules for one group and one for others?

What next? AC and WA get 4 points for a win rather than 3 like everyone else?

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Yes agree now that AU are in FFSA NPL it is just a training league for them thus the league is devalued.
If there's no value, why would the prize money increase?

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Slinky_Pete wrote:

If there's no value, why would the prize money increase?
Shoot goal

Exactly a bit late now.

The league will devalue further.

No prize money.
AU in the league.
Juniors propping up the game via fees .
Low crowds.

bloodypassit
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by bloodypassit »

I was after some data from the fn gurus, FFSA gurus etc to the topic?

Ok if you remember the Ampol Cup Night series pre NSL .
Data I have is the championship prize available to the winning club was approx the value of a courtyard block say in the north western close city suburbs eg $225,000 approx today.
Crowds were obviously larger back then.

If you remember early 1990's ethnic name ban came in and also new sponsor " West End" and the prize money was larger then than today . When I say larger compare what you can buy then than now with the prize money . Eg late 1960's you could buy a house on a quarter acre block in Croydon Park for approx $9,000.

So just some simple maths shows today prize money for say a FFSA championship should be at least $250,000 to the winner minimum.
The SANFL rewards the League Premier $30,000 in prizemoney..... And this is viewed as the second best league outside the AFL

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

Shoot goal

So what is the prize money for all FFSA leagues today?