Greek background clubs not got the finals mettle?

Do you like talking to yourself? Do you like continually talking about the same topic? Do you watch football games from outside the perimeter fence to avoid paying entry fees? Do you like reliving past glories over and over and over and over? If so then this is the forum might be for you. You can grind your axes to your hearts content in this forum.

Moderators: Randoman, BillShankly, arxidi, ruud, Forum Admins

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Greek background clubs not got the finals mettle?

Post by Tzon »

It appears the Greek background clubs in Adelaide's FFSA Leagues have not got the finals mettle?
All out red rover.
Hellas, Olympic, Comets, Cobras........
What is it?
Coaching, players, or not enough player cash incentives for winning finals games?
Last edited by Tzon on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying Fox
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Greek background clubs not got the finals metal?

Post by Flying Fox »

*mettle

Jonny Lidon
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Jonny Lidon »

They charge their juniors the most,if the junior fees were abolished they would do better I reckon.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

West Adelaide went from state league to premier league. Made the Prelimary Final. Lost in the lottery. And were Fed Cup runners up.

That is pretty impressive and no way a failure.

Others clubs have been in the Premier League for years and have not been able to have a result like that in one season.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

johndedes wrote:It appears the Greek background clubs in Adelaide's FFSA Leagues have not got the finals metal?
All out red rover.
What is it?
Coaching, players, or not enough player cash incentives for winning finals games?
Cash incentives for winning finals games??? Farrrk me, tell me who you know wouldnt try hard enough because they wouldnt get enough cash incentive when talking winning a comp they've been striving for all season?
Ignore this signature

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

The old Hellas was like that "cash incentives" for winning, the 1978 famous League win was on the back of cash cow payments.
So do clubs need better mercaneries and selection off or try building culture and juniors up?

Metal Face
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Metal Face »

Maybe WA could start charging juniors $2500 a season then they could throw that money at some better players. I hear Emile Heskey is looking for a gig

gazza
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by gazza »

BeNatural wrote:West Adelaide went from state league to premier league. Made the Prelimary Final. Lost in the lottery. And were Fed Cup runners up.

Others clubs have been in the Premier League for years and have not been able to have a result like that in one season.
+1
if I was a WA supporter I would consider their first season back, a success.
they more than exceeded their initial expectatation to use their first year to consolidate.
for me it''s a well done, West Adelaide.

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

Viktor Vaughn wrote:Maybe WA could start charging juniors $2500 a season then they could throw that money at some better players. I hear Emile Heskey is looking for a gig
Got his number?

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

BeNatural wrote:West Adelaide went from state league to premier league. Made the Prelimary Final. Lost in the lottery. And were Fed Cup runners up.

Saying "finals" is a lottery is like saying the world cup is a lottery.

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

Lottery = Penalties.

Metal Face
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Metal Face »

Wraith wrote:
Viktor Vaughn wrote:Maybe WA could start charging juniors $2500 a season then they could throw that money at some better players. I hear Emile Heskey is looking for a gig
Got his number?
Croydon might

Wraith
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Wraith »

Viktor Vaughn wrote:
Wraith wrote:
Got his number?
Croydon might
So that's a no? Or you just talking cabernet?

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Viktor Vaughn wrote:
Wraith wrote:
Got his number?
Croydon might
Almost........its mighty Croydon!
Ignore this signature

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Wraith wrote:So that's a no? Or you just talking cabernet?
haha

What gave it away?

Why would he need his number to make a suggestion on here?

thewabster
Star Player
Star Player

Post by thewabster »

Jonny Lidon wrote:They charge their juniors the most,if the junior fees were abolished they would do better I reckon.
I reckon you are a m o. R on

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

thewabster wrote:
Jonny Lidon wrote:They charge their juniors the most,if the junior fees were abolished they would do better I reckon.
I reckon you are a m o. R on
The Pot wrote:Oi! Kettle, you're black

black
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by black »

johndedes wrote:The old Hellas was like that "cash incentives" for winning, the 1978 famous League win was on the back of cash cow payments.
So do clubs need better mercaneries and selection off or try building culture and juniors up?
they had three of the best mercs (and most expensive) last year and this year. Still no prize.
1/6.... but still 6. :)

"you see the eye to detail,the accuracy of the pass, it's the weight of the pass and the decision making in the games, that makes top players stand out form average players" - Rene' Meulensteen,

Tzon
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Tzon »

So is the junior arm and Park B27 safe from the vultures and prospective liquidators?? Has the junior arm got its own legal identity?
This is important??

Doobie
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Doobie »

johndedes wrote:So is the junior arm and Park B27 safe from the vultures and prospective liquidators?? Has the junior arm got its own legal identity?
This is important??
I'm Ron Burgundy???
Write a signature here

OMG
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by OMG »

A question for the forum and JD:

Could it be that all the focus at West Adelaide has been on "spending" on the first team and there has been no investment in having a good reserves team with a mix of young and fringe 1st team players to step up when the time comes to fill any gaps due to injuries etc? In the Advertiser today 3 names are shown as out for West Adelaide which did not help them on the weekend?

If you buy players to fill the first team to get trophies in the cabinet then any decent youngster is going to see that they are taking a gamble to stay or wasting their time at the club and move on to benefit their development as ultimately the club will "buy" in the players?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

You realise that WA had to make 2 injury substitutions in the first half then copped a questionable red card early in the 2nd so played the last 70mins with 10.
And I don’t think Cummins played a full game all season put had to persevere on for 120mins, not sure if Evan M was 100% fit either.
So four 15-16 year olds played and battled bravely against a very good Croydon team.

Sometimes the ball doesn’t bounce your way, WA probably should have been out of sight in the first 30.

But regrettably simple explanations don’t make for good forum banter lolz, so drop them hyperbole bombs….

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

OMG wrote:A question for the forum and JD:

Could it be that all the focus at West Adelaide has been on "spending" on the first team and there has been no investment in having a good reserves team with a mix of young and fringe 1st team players to step up when the time comes to fill any gaps due to injuries etc? In the Advertiser today 3 names are shown as out for West Adelaide which did not help them on the weekend?

If you buy players to fill the first team to get trophies in the cabinet then any decent youngster is going to see that they are taking a gamble to stay or wasting their time at the club and move on to benefit their development as ultimately the club will "buy" in the players?
They have a pretty decent 18s team coming through. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Nice One Cyril
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by Nice One Cyril »

The Kop wrote:You realise that WA had to make 2 injury substitutions in the first half then copped a questionable red card early in the 2nd so played the last 70mins with 10.
And I don’t think Cummins played a full game all season put had to persevere on for 120mins, not sure if Evan M was 100% fit either.
So four 15-16 year olds played and battled bravely against a very good Croydon team.

Sometimes the ball doesn’t bounce your way, WA probably should have been out of sight in the first 30.

But regrettably simple explanations don’t make for good forum banter lolz, so drop them hyperbole bombs….
You could have left out the word 'questionable' and improved your argument :wink:
Victor Meldrew wrote:A decent govt..... like uk. :lol:
"The game is about glory, doing things in style and with a flourish, going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
Danny Blanchflower

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

The Kop wrote:You realise that WA had to make 2 injury substitutions in the first half then copped a questionable red card early in the 2nd so played the last 70mins with 10.

Just for some perspective - we had to sub a player after only 3 or 4 minutes and we've been playing 16 year olds all season.
Ignore this signature

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

Bomber wrote:

Just for some perspective - we had to sub a player after only 3 or 4 minutes and we've been playing 16 year olds all season.
Given Kop's post I'm taking this as 15-16 year olds playing is seen as a hinderance to team success?

I thought with PPS that most clubs would have already been fielding players this age in their 1st team squad anyway?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Nah, it's good, long term.

Just addressing a post that too many mercenaries have closed all the pathways....

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

The Kop wrote:Nah, it's good, long term.

Just addressing a post that too many mercenaries have closed all the pathways....
Fair point.

Also, how long does a player need to be at a club before he's no longer considered a mercenary? This is something that I've always wondered...

I would say that if these so-called mercenaries are still there next year (being a 3rd year for some), that they should no longer be considered as such...thoughts?

The Kop
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by The Kop »

Like shooting fish in a barrel. As long as WA people keep taking the bait on here, a mercenary could be 1,3,5 years take your pick.

P.A.O. 13
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by P.A.O. 13 »

johndedes wrote:It appears the Greek background clubs in Adelaide's FFSA Leagues have not got the finals metal?
All out red rover.
What is it?

John (& others)
I don't know the ins & outs of other clubs so i don't comment about them however i do know every detail about Olympic.........& i (we) choose not to talk about things. This does not mean that things are not progressing well. However I'm happy to say that things at Olympic are going very well.

Seeing as you obviously live in world that revolves around crap coffee and stirring up others i will enlighten you (& others) of info that has been made public via our clubs monthly newsletter (you wont be getting a copy because its only available to the 300+ paying members)
2012 - only 2 junior teams
2013 - 9 junior teams
2014 - 15 junior team
Our fees are on par with the lowest of any federation club and we offer the children a full compliment of equipment.
Our coaches are all accredited or in the process of being accredited.
Junior money stays with Juniors.
Senior teams have done generally done exceptionally well over the past 5 years considering a we choose not to exceed our budget.
Coaches & players have been given opportunities to progress.

Being promoted or our performance during finals is important but its not the end of the world for us. We have already started our planning for 2015.

Now please refrain from even thinking about Olympic.
Miami, its like a big reisling just waiting to be fu_kd.........(Scarface)