Admin

Suggestions and discussion of the next version of FootballNews.

Moderator: Forum Admins

Chumbawumba
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Admin

Post by Chumbawumba »

How much?

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Admin

Post by ruud »

Chumbawumba
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Chumbawumba »

That's a good price

ruud
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by ruud »

I didn't specify the units.

Socca
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Admin

Post by Socca »

Just tell them all to fck off

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

Teachers Pet!!
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Sad day for free speech. Are we in North Korea? Pathetic really.
Ignore this signature

An Eternity Turns
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by An Eternity Turns »

It's his website, agree with him or shiraz off.

#wemustallconform
If you find that life is starting to hand you melons, it might be telling you that you are dyslexic.

An Eternity Turns
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Seeing as he wants to meet GIAE, has he been invited to the lunch?
If you find that life is starting to hand you melons, it might be telling you that you are dyslexic.

Bodø Glímt
In Memory of Dylan Tombides

Post by Bodø Glímt »

Bomber wrote:Sad day for free speech. Are we in North Korea? Pathetic really.
I have to agree.

Paleon Patros Germanos
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Paleon Patros Germanos »

Bomber wrote:Sad day for free speech. Are we in North Korea? Pathetic really.
Really?
Agia Lavra 1821!

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Yes really. Its piss poor. And this "its his website" stuff doesnt wash either. He has created something which has attracted people from all walks of life to contribute to a discussion forum. Its probably grown bigger than expectations. In fact, very few local football people DONT know of football news website.
Imagine if Bill Gates suddenly thought, I dont like computers and the internet any more...........I will shut them all down for good. That would be pathetic, yes?
Until lately, it was a mix of discussion, debate, humour, and information gathering, but soon as someone doesnt like what someone says, whoosh..........you're out! Yet racist comments conveniently slip through.
If admin is too busy, then simple, let his self appointed mods run the show..........at least SOME of them have an idea and dont sook at every little thing they dont like.
Finally, do we need to advertise use of foe function more widely? That way, it is so simple for those with thin skins to merely adopt it against all the nasties and "bullies" out there.
Ignore this signature

bob saget
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bob saget »

Bomber wrote:Yes really. Its piss poor. And this "its his website" stuff doesnt wash either. He has created something which has attracted people from all walks of life to contribute to a discussion forum. Its probably grown bigger than expectations. In fact, very few local football people DONT know of football news website.
Imagine if Bill Gates suddenly thought, I dont like computers and the internet any more...........I will shut them all down for good. That would be pathetic, yes?
Until lately, it was a mix of discussion, debate, humour, and information gathering, but soon as someone doesnt like what someone says, whoosh..........you're out! Yet racist comments conveniently slip through.
If admin is too busy, then simple, let his self appointed mods run the show..........at least SOME of them have an idea and dont sook at every little thing they dont like.
Finally, do we need to advertise use of foe function more widely? That way, it is so simple for those with thin skins to merely adopt it against all the nasties and "bullies" out there.
Just wow. What a spoilt little brat attitude you have there, Bomber. Admin puts his hand in his pocket year after year and provides this site for free, so yes "its (sic) his website". End of. If he decides to cut off a handful of users because he believes they are constantly hijacking threads for their own amusement to the detriment of the usability of the site, that's his call. Hell, even if he bans someone because he personally doesn't like them, that's also his call. If you don't like it, that's your call. You're not entitled to this site, it is someone's personal project - just remember that. In your Bill Gates scenario, there would be an opening for someone to fill in the void in the market and reap the benefits. Do you see the huge opportunity you've been given? You can create a bigger and better website from your own funds and take on Football News and watch all the users flock to your better managed site. Perhaps spread the cost amongst your "followers". Opportunities like this don't come along too often, so don't regret what might have been.

Bodø Glímt

Post by Bodø Glímt »

When you compare the original thread and original ban to what consistently gets untouched all you can do is shake your head.

redmum
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by redmum »

bob saget wrote:
Bomber wrote:Yes really. Its piss poor. And this "its his website" stuff doesnt wash either. He has created something which has attracted people from all walks of life to contribute to a discussion forum. Its probably grown bigger than expectations. In fact, very few local football people DONT know of football news website.
Just wow. What a spoilt little brat attitude you have there, Bomber. Admin puts his hand in his pocket year after year and provides this site for free, so yes "its (sic) his website". End of. If he decides to cut off a handful of users because he believes they are constantly hijacking threads for their own amusement to the detriment of the usability of the site, that's his call. Hell, even if he bans someone because he personally doesn't like them, that's also his call. If you don't like it, that's your call. You're not entitled to this site, it is someone's personal project - just remember that. In your Bill Gates scenario, there would be an opening for someone to fill in the void in the market and reap the benefits. Do you see the huge opportunity you've been given? You can create a bigger and better website from your own funds and take on Football News and watch all the users flock to your better managed site. Perhaps spread the cost amongst your "followers". Opportunities like this don't come along too often, so don't regret what might have been.
Well said.
FIGHTING LIKE A GIRL

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

bob saget wrote:
You're right it is a take it or leave it proposition that Footballnews is, however does that mean that racism and other issues should be allowed to flourish without being countered?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

bob saget
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bob saget »

Black_Panther wrote:You're right it is a take it or leave it proposition that Footballnews is, however does that mean that racism and other issues should be allowed to flourish without being countered?
Racism should never be tolerated and is a very serious accusation. If you truly believe there has been racism on this forum, you should have it investigated.

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/complain ... laint-form

Let us know how it goes.

Black_Panther
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Black_Panther »

bob saget wrote:
Black_Panther wrote:You're right it is a take it or leave it proposition that Footballnews is, however does that mean that racism and other issues should be allowed to flourish without being countered?
Racism should never be tolerated and is a very serious accusation. If you truly believe there has been racism on this forum, you should have it investigated.

Let us know how it goes.
So you believe that these guys were right to point out issues affecting the website but you agree that they should be banned as well??
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. That's why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

bob saget
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by bob saget »

Black_Panther wrote:
bob saget wrote:

Let us know how it goes.
So you believe that these guys were right to point out issues affecting the website but you agree that they should be banned as well??
Interesting conclusion you've reached from the previous posts. Please elaborate.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

bob saget wrote:
You sound like Sepp Blatter who thinks he owns the game because he's FIFA president.

No argument that it might be admin's "personal project" - if its so dear to his heart, why is there never much time to devote to it? To me it cant be more than a passing interest.

The main point of all this is freedom of speech which digs deeper than "what's mine or yours".

Racism, ok, but "negativity" (often containing the truth), hell no!

Fine, ban everyone except the fluffy "positive I like AU" people. Then watch all the characters leave, and it will just be a matter of time the rest go on about how tediously boring it has become. If without reality checks about certain aspects of the game go un-noticed or un-reported, then that doesnt enhance the game at all. It just sweeps it under the carpet and hence will have a negative impact long term.

Discussion forums are exactly that. Well, it was once.
Ignore this signature

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

All this to and froing made me think of this song....

You Can't Always Get What You Wants

Regardless of who is right and who is wrong there are some people behaving like spoilt children on here.
No one would likes being constantly criticised openly on a public forum, especially if you are spending lots of quiet time behind the scenes fixing up technical issues, upgrading software etc on a voluntary basis I would think that very few, (including myself) would appreciate how much time it takes to facillitate the running of a forum.
I am thankful to FootballNews for re-igniting my interest in the local game, helping me network, giving me a vehicle for photo game reoports and airing my views.
I have had a few issues with moderators but you move on, some however, enjoy pushing the boundaries and goading moderators and admin.
It would be nice of admin to undo recent reactionary bans but my gut feeling is that most of the ensuing comments, thread topics etc aren't helping much toward that end.
Last edited by swannsong on Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

johnydep
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by johnydep »

bob saget wrote:
Well said.

This place started to drop members a while ago, when the moderation dropped off. There are posts from months ago asking 'why so quiet'. Debating turned into baiting. Users with multiple personality user syndrome would post banal comments, opening a thread was more likely to waste time than stimulate debate or discussion. The product kept the majority of users away. Only a few enjoyed the way the forum was heading.

As with any product or service - improve it for the masses, or watch it die.

ADMIN should be commended for what he has given to football and SA. The disrespect he has received from a few users is poor form. Go on a few of the other football forums and read their user policy.

Thank you Admin, keep up the good work.

http://www.footballnews.com.au/about.php wrote: Contact Details

FootballNews Pty Ltd
ACN: 124 947 780

1st Floor 167 Grote Street
Adelaide SA 5000

Phone: 08-82216205
Fax: 08-82216204
Email: webmaster@footballnews.com.au

Please contact FootballNews via email. Email will get the highest priority and fastest response. Contact by phone will only result in a message being taken and submitted via email to the webmaster.

Mission

* To promote South Australian football.
* To provide an independent voice for the most important stakeholders in Australian football - the supporters
* To foster understanding and break down the traditional barriers in the football community that have held back the sport in Australia.
* To demonstrate to the wider community the underlying popularity and strength of local football.

History

The FootballNews site was first established in 1998. It started out as a project to develop a .asp toolkit of functions to support database driven websites. The .asp tools were developed and SoccerNews, as it was then named, was created to test them.

There was no fanfare about the launch of SoccerNews. After all its purpose was to test the .asp toolkit and at the same time do a little promotion of the local game. It went online quietly. But word of mouth spread quickly and the test site suddenly became very quite popular.

While we continued to enhance the .asp toolkit the popularity of the site grew and grew. We were surprised by its popularity. Despite its largely South Australian focus and its un-official status, SoccerNews was ranked in the top five soccer websites in Australia. Before long we had dropped our focus on testing our .asp toolkit - and were now focussed on improving the functionality of SoccerNews to promote the local game.

At the time of its development SoccerNews was utilising leading edge technology and techniques. The back-end was was quite sophisticated though the front end of the site was quite basic. One problem area was the performance of the site - there was an irritating performance problem that would inexplicably crop up every few months grinding the site to a halt. Over several years we spent months trawling over all the code underlying the site in search of the cause of the performance problem. We incorrectly believed there had to be a fault in the programming. Then we discovered others who were having similarly problems. Soon it became obvious that the cause of the problem was a bug in the Microsoft IIS webserver software - a bug Microsoft had known about for several years but had not fixed. We immediately decided it was time to move to a more robust and open software platform.

In late 2003 we commenced planning FootballNews v2. We developed a functional specification, a database specification and selected new hardware and software platforms. By mid 2004 we commenced the coding phase utilising one part time programmer. The project moved forward slowly. We had under-estimated the amount of code that we had created over the five plus years of SoccerNews v1. So by mid 2005 we put a second programmer onto the project.

By the end of 2005 the original project was nearing completion. However we decided there was no need to rush the project into production and opted to add some further functionality. The project was finally completed in March 2006 and FootballNews v2 was launched on the 31st of March 2006.

FootballNews is one of the most popular football related websites in Australia. It is ranked in the top five Australian football sites taking approximately 40 million hits a year.

Credits

There are many individuals who have contributed to FootballNews since 1998. Here is a list of some of the major contributors.

Developers:
Grant Williamson (v1)
Karl Castle (v1 and v2)
Andrew Duxorth (v2)

V2 Specifications:
Matthew Berry
Warwick Groves

Sponsors:
Webzone Internet

Bodø Glímt

Post by Bodø Glímt »

I don't have a problem with moderation. It just seems that the small thing that sparked the whole thing was a very trivial post to warrant moving the thread to the wild west and then the subsequent banning when you consider what gets overlooked and left there for everyone to see in what seemed like an eternity.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

I love this spoilt brats analogy. Think about whats been going on lately and see who the real sooks and "spolit brats" are.

End of, I dont think anyone isnt grateful for what admin has created and maintained, but knee-jerk reactions are what bemuses so many and lack of consistency (moderation) has been evident for years.

Is life really so serious?
Ignore this signature

Mad_Max
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Mad_Max »

johnydep wrote:Users with multiple personality user syndrome would post banal comments, opening a thread was more likely to waste time than stimulate debate or discussion.
johndedes gets away with it because a) He's Greek or b) there's only one him?
Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Ctrl-Alt-Del »

Bomber wrote:I love this spoilt brats analogy. Think about whats been going on lately and see who the real sooks and "spolit brats" are.

End of, I dont think anyone isnt grateful for what admin has created and maintained, but knee-jerk reactions are what bemuses so many and lack of consistency (moderation) has been evident for years.

Is life really so serious?
I guess with 41000+ posts it must be :shock:
BTW What's a "spolit brat" ?
Why is everyone always telling people on computers to hit me ?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

swannsong

you don't live in Nth Adl do you????
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

An Eternity Turns
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

johnydep wrote:
bob saget wrote:
Well said.

This place started to drop members a while ago, when the moderation dropped off. There are posts from months ago asking 'why so quiet'. Debating turned into baiting. Users with multiple personality user syndrome would post banal comments, opening a thread was more likely to waste time than stimulate debate or discussion. The product kept the majority of users away. Only a few enjoyed the way the forum was heading.

As with any product or service - improve it for the masses, or watch it die.

ADMIN should be commended for what he has given to football and SA. The disrespect he has received from a few users is poor form. Go on a few of the other football forums and read their user policy.

Thank you Admin, keep up the good work.
That's all well and good if he wasn't just banning people for disagreeing with him, locking threads because they show him to be lying or just banning people without even being able to provide a reason.

swannsong
Technical Director
Technical Director

Post by swannsong »

MegaBonus wrote:
swannsong

you don't live in Nth Adl do you????
Sorry MB, don't understand the North Adelaide reference :?
Southern Knights SC - 2019 - Celebrating 25 Years of SAASL Football
SAASL facebook : Southern Knights SC facebook
swannsong Facebook : Elizabeth Downs SC facebook

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

SA Tourism Minister Leon Bignell states that he wrote to the Stones management saying that North Adelaide residents had requested that the concert end at 10.30pm (The Advertiser, yesterday).

His letter went on tell the Stones to play as long as they like and at 10.30 to play You can't always get what you want.

guess what song the Stones played at 10.30pm???? :lol: :lol: :lol:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill