I-phone whilst overseas

Forum for the discussion of music, video and photography related topics

Moderators: adam, Forum Admins

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

I-phone whilst overseas

Post by Bomber »

Heard many variations - am with Optus but only want to occasionally use Apps (mainly Futbol24) and phone only for emergency without getting slugged thousands such are some of the stories I hear when people leave data roaming on (or whatever). Assume best to turn it off when not in use.
What's the simplest way to minimise cost? What settings etc? Do and dont's?
Any tips much appreciated.
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: I-phone whilst overseas

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote:Heard many variations - am with Optus but only want to occasionally use Apps (mainly Futbol24) and phone only for emergency without getting slugged thousands such are some of the stories I hear when people leave data roaming on (or whatever). Assume best to turn it off when not in use.

What I did last year and am doing again is getting a Woolworth global sim prepaid.

It works in most European countries
https://www.woolworthsmobileglobalroaming.com.au/

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

eagleboy wrote:
Bomber wrote:Heard many variations - am with Optus but only want to occasionally use Apps (mainly Futbol24) and phone only for emergency without getting slugged thousands such are some of the stories I hear when people leave data roaming on (or whatever). Assume best to turn it off when not in use.

What I did last year and am doing again is getting a Woolworth global sim prepaid.

It works in most European countries
https://www.woolworthsmobileglobalroaming.com.au/
Cheers - your thoughts on following countries, ie will it work as a one off purchase:
Spain, France/Monte Carlo, Italy, Malta, Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece (and islands)?
Ignore this signature

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

https://www.woolworthsmobileglobalroami ... au/Pricing

This will give you info you want and countries. Recharge on the run

I done a cruise last year and it did not work on the ship but ok on land. We done the western Mediterranean cruise. Great on land in Spain Italy Austria Czech Rep Poland France from my experience. I actually bough a sim card for data in Italy for my Samsung ( about 25-30E) and bought a sim in Poland. Cheap.
I hired a car in Poland and need data for google maps to get me around.

Being a tight muscat I used skype in hotels for phone calls and used their hotel data rather than the phone.

We are doing a cruise this year the entire Mediterranean.

Buy it at woollies. 2-4-1 special for sim this week I think.

sylvesanderson1
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by sylvesanderson1 »

I believe roaming costs a lot so maybe turn that off.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

buy a SIM when you get to your destination....even better....if you're visiting family/friends get them to organise one for you.

cheers
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

MegaBonus wrote:buy a SIM when you get to your destination....even better....if you're visiting family/friends get them to organise one for you.

cheers
Most of the sims you buy are country specific. They seem to cut out at the borders. I had that experience a few years back.I'm not sure if there are universal sim available over the counter. Vodaphone have good one I think. Your idea of family/friends get them to organise one for you semm good as they him tourists with extra costs.

I had no issues with my woollies global roaming last year. You need to set it up in Aus first and try out everything is working.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Am doing a med cruise also - last time we went we had analogue phone so it was quite simple (just turned off one button from memory) but seems more complicated since the I-phone era. Bottom line, the missus wants phone for emergencies, I only care about the Futbol24 app so I can check NPL results whilst away.

Go to Optus shop and they don't seem to care much - either think we're fossils and should know so much about this stuff, ie talk jibberish, "just do this do that check this blah blah" and fob you off as they can't see a "sale" of sorts in our enquiry.

I was hoping to just put in a mode (eg turn roaming off) and only turn on when I need the app, or the missus wants to make a phone call? On shore of course. Or is that too simple and have risks?

Appreciate the heads up so far guys, cheers.
Ignore this signature

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

sorry...forgot to add....when purchasing, focus more on data availability than phone calls and use an app like messenger (facebook)....plus more data is good when using google maps
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Ofor Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ofor Fuxake »

Bomber wrote:Go to Optus shop and they don't seem to care much
This is true. They often gove you a phone, push some buttons and say "talk to them". The reason I travelled a few kilburns to get there was to not be stuck on hold. :twisted:
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Ofor Fuxake wrote:
This is true. They often gove you a phone, push some buttons and say "talk to them". The reason I travelled a few kilburns to get there was to not be stuck on hold. :twisted:
The only benefit they have is they by-pass the long "on hold" general enquiries number and use their secret "express" one.

Am seriously considering changing providers, but aren't they (more or less) all the friggin same?
Ignore this signature

Ofor Fuxake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ofor Fuxake »

Bomber wrote:
Ofor Fuxake wrote:
The only benefit they have is they by-pass the long "on hold" general enquiries number and use their secret "express" one.
Am seriously considering changing providers, but aren't they (more or less) all the friggin same?
I must admit I don't get as much stress from them as I did iinet and telstra and when I have reported an issue it has been rectified very quickly.
You can lead a horse to water but they are bloody hard to drown.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

Bomber wrote:Am doing a med cruise also - last time we went we had analogue phone so it was quite simple (just turned off one button from memory) but seems more complicated since the I-phone era. Bottom line, the missus wants phone for emergencies, I only care about the Futbol24 app so I can check NPL results whilst away.
I don't think your phone will work on the ship. I couldn't get it to work. When in port use some of the ports dining areas. They sell you a very expensive package on board. I had a 240 min plan included on my last cruise in my package. I need to pay about $100us on my next cruise. I not sure but I think they set up a block on users.
If anyone has any ideas on good ship plans can you mention. I'm doing a Crown princess tour in August from Athens.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

eagleboy wrote:
Bomber wrote:Am doing a med cruise also - last time we went we had analogue phone so it was quite simple (just turned off one button from memory) but seems more complicated since the I-phone era. Bottom line, the missus wants phone for emergencies, I only care about the Futbol24 app so I can check NPL results whilst away.
I don't think your phone will work on the ship. I couldn't get it to work. When in port use some of the ports dining areas. They sell you a very expensive package on board. I had a 240 min plan included on my last cruise in my package. I need to pay about $100us on my next cruise. I not sure but I think they set up a block on users.
If anyone has any ideas on good ship plans can you mention. I'm doing a Crown princess tour in August from Athens.
We are in port at some point in 21 of the 24 days, so using on shore is no problem per se. Like I said, use will be minimal (maybe 4 checks of Futbol24 app and maybe 4 quick out-bound phone calls the whole time away), so any tips about minimising costs without jumping through hoops is the ultimate aim and appreciated.
Bottom line - I want a hassle free holiday and will not be interested in FB, FN or any other forms of social media during that time. 8)
Ignore this signature

ozzie owl
Coach
Coach

Post by ozzie owl »

Free sim card if you take out covermore travel inurance.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Post by eagleboy »

A bit late Bomber but I arrived in Rome and do not rate my Woolworth global roaming. I had no issue last year. I went to the TIM booth in Termini Station and bought a sim 21E I think. Does all of Europe except Swiss. 20GB data . Only issue is I can not send sms to Aus. I can send email though. I bought my wife a Vodaphone sim or 20E it seems to satisfy all my needs. Cheaper than Aus in what it give.

ArnoldKMB
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ArnoldKMB »

Go to Optus shop and they don't seem to care much - either think we're fossils and should know so much about this stuff, ie talk jibberish, "just do this do that check this blah blah" and fob you off as they can't see a "sale" of sorts in our enquiry.

I was hoping to just put in a mode (eg turn roaming off) and only turn on when I need the app, or the missus wants to make a phone call? On shore of course. Or is that too simple and have risks?

Appreciate the heads up so far guys, cheers.

I agree with you, did the same