WNPL and State sports Park

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL and State sports Park

Post by SAD GAL »

Not sure throwing money around is the correct terminology. Player market within the WNPL is dictating that some players have a value. from outside looking in, this is a good thing and reflects where the WNPL is at. Some clubs are successful but want to go the next step or two. Some are new to the WNPL and need to attract experienced players otherwise the risk of relegation looms.

What is worth noting is that most of the WNPL players still pay quite significant fees. Some MAY not have to pay them or get a personal sponsor to cover the cost. Seems ludicrous though that the players pays the fees and then gets a match payment.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I'm curious, Sad Gal- do you know which clubs still charge their prems players fees? And how much are they charging?For some reason I've just assumed that at the minimum, players don't have to pay fees, even if they're not being paid to play

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Good discussion.

I'm not a player however, up to recent times the two clubs I had crossed paths with did charge some of its preens a club fee. Whether it was the full or discounted amount would probably be up for negotiation. From what I have seen/heard players were encouraged to get personal sponsors to cover the fees. And they were senior experienced players.

I can't disclose the names however, I'd be surprised if none of the players in the prems pay.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

WNPL squad usually pay no fees, are kitted out with match day/training attire and receive a match payment for making the matchday squad.
This is open to Reserve players that make the match day squad also.

Player Sponsorships are also available outside of this structure.

All Reserves pay fee's I believe.
Different clubs have different models.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:32 am Not sure throwing money around is the correct terminology. Player market within the WNPL is dictating that some players have a value. from outside looking in, this is a good thing and reflects where the WNPL is at. Some clubs are successful but want to go the next step or two. Some are new to the WNPL and need to attract experienced players otherwise the risk of relegation looms.

What is worth noting is that most of the WNPL players still pay quite significant fees. Some MAY not have to pay them or get a personal sponsor to cover the cost. Seems ludicrous though that the players pays the fees and then gets a match payment.
Would you prefer players to be fairly compensated or to remove a revenue stream for clubs and instead play all games at a central location? Pick one

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

If I'm honest (which I am) then get back to the Parks and leave the Taj Mahal for the others to enjoy. WNPL has lost its soul and the unification of the cubs and supporters who came to one venue to watch four games of WNPL.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:57 am If I'm honest (which I am) then get back to the Parks and leave the Taj Mahal for the others to enjoy. WNPL has lost its soul and the unification of the cubs and supporters who came to one venue to watch four games of WNPL.
Four games at the one venue only happened for one season. There are now also five games a round.

Parks is now leased to Adelaide Olympic.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:57 am If I'm honest (which I am) then get back to the Parks and leave the Taj Mahal for the others to enjoy. WNPL has lost its soul and the unification of the cubs and supporters who came to one venue to watch four games of WNPL.
Lost its soul? Why does a venue give soul to a league, its more about the games and the passion of the clubs, whether its played at the parks, west beach or the Taj Mahal.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Playing at other venues at the different times does not support growth of the culture of the game that occurred when games started to get played at either Parks or west beach. We're back to pre those days where games are all over the shop. I'll keep banging on however de-centralisation for the WNPL is a retrograde step.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

I see it differently.
Being at different venues has allowed some clubs to start hosting post match meals with the teams they've played.
I feel this social interaction has been far better the simply seeing people walk past pre/post game.

Clubs can build their culture, engage sponsors, but in its simplest form, our team get more time to get to get to know each other off the track. As does our opponent, as well as teams get to mingle.
Coaches often sit together and talk which brings the league together.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Not seen it happen. Maybe at Metro but little elsewhere. In fact very little is open when the games are on. Not viable. The Parks has the canteen and bar open.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:01 am Not seen it happen. Maybe at Metro but little elsewhere. In fact very little is open when the games are on. Not viable. The Parks has the canteen and bar open.
IIRC FFSA tried to close the bar at the Parks 30 mins after the 2020 WNPL Grand Final, meaning the players, after long hard season, couldn't even have one celebratory drink. Don't think any food was provided.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:25 pm Playing at other venues at the different times does not support growth of the culture of the game that occurred when games started to get played at either Parks or west beach. We're back to pre those days where games are all over the shop. I'll keep banging on however de-centralisation for the WNPL is a retrograde step.
Reckon there will still be rounds where all clubs play at State Centre in future . But if clubs want to host at their venue pretty hard to say no.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

nathanburns15 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:28 am
SAD GAL wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:01 am Not seen it happen. Maybe at Metro but little elsewhere. In fact very little is open when the games are on. Not viable. The Parks has the canteen and bar open.
IIRC FFSA tried to close the bar at the Parks 30 mins after the 2020 WNPL Grand Final, meaning the players, after long hard season, couldn't even have one celebratory drink. Don't think any food was provided.
Metro stayed and celebrate for a long time at the Parks that night- with drinks and food.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

One place that should not be used in winter and at nights is west beach. Horrible place.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

billy the kid wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 am One place that should not be used in winter and at nights is west beach. Horrible place.
It's a winter sport.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:37 pm
billy the kid wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 am One place that should not be used in winter and at nights is west beach. Horrible place.
It's a winter sport.

Yes, but the venue is cabernet.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

juniorsupporter wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:16 pm
God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:37 pm
It's a winter sport.

Yes, but the venue is cabernet.
What makes it worse than the Parks?

Why specifically winter and nights then?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

You have a vast open and unprotected area that is close to the sea. Minimal and ineffective wind breaks. Couple that with rain and it’s not a good place to be. The coach’s box stupidly faces west straight into the teeth of a cold strong wind. Add rain and there is zero protection.

The grand stand is not a place to sit (for a winter’s sport). Not a pleasant experience sitting up there. You may say don’t sit there? I say, you’ve built something that’s cost plenty and is not an effective option. Wind comes straight at you from behind. Zero protection

Yes it's a winter sport however, not for football. The other sports around there are spring/summer. Smart.
Experienced many winter’s nights where people are huddled near the canteen or inside. A good name is Ice Station Zebra.
The pitch is abysmal.

For me, no WNPL games there.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

billy the kid wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:42 am You have a vast open and unprotected area that is close to the sea. Minimal and ineffective wind breaks. Couple that with rain and it’s not a good place to be. The coach’s box stupidly faces west straight into the teeth of a cold strong wind. Add rain and there is zero protection.

The grand stand is not a place to sit (for a winter’s sport). Not a pleasant experience sitting up there. You may say don’t sit there? I say, you’ve built something that’s cost plenty and is not an effective option. Wind comes straight at you from behind. Zero protection

Yes it's a winter sport however, not for football. The other sports around there are spring/summer. Smart.
Experienced many winter’s nights where people are huddled near the canteen or inside. A good name is Ice Station Zebra.
The pitch is abysmal.

It's a winter sport.

Why only "no WNPL"?

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Isn't West Beach West Adelaide's designated home ground? Surely it's up to clubs to dictate where their team can play their home games?

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

billy the kid wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:42 am You have a vast open and unprotected area that is close to the sea. Minimal and ineffective wind breaks. Couple that with rain and it’s not a good place to be. The coach’s box stupidly faces west straight into the teeth of a cold strong wind. Add rain and there is zero protection.

The pitch is abysmal.

It's not Roker Park on a Tuesday night in winter ;-)
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Players say it's worse playing at West Beach when its warm/hot - blisters on feet etc. They used to use sprinklers before games that were a bit warmer to minimise the effects, no sure if they still do.
Ignore this signature

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

The place needs an overhaul. Pitch not the best many players have ongoing injuries and soreness from the very poor playing surface.. Location of coaching boxes is insane. Facing the rain and wind. Zero protection. even in summer.

Until then can WA and Fulham pick another place ie the Parks.

The whole 2022 season is a mish mash of scheduling.

#getbacktotheParks

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

No protection from the wind and rain - it's a winter sport.

Some people just expect too much.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Winter sport yes. Wind tunnel and lack of protection equals a poor place for players and officials.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

SAD GAL wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:37 pm Winter sport yes. Wind tunnel and lack of protection equals a poor place for players and officials.

So no different to just playing at most normal football pirches then.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:37 pm Winter sport yes. Wind tunnel and lack of protection equals a poor place for players and officials.
Can tell you've never player amateur league where you are lucky to get a changing room

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

The comparison with amateur league and WNPL or NPL is absurd and irrelevant. Whilst all leagues deserve the respect of decent facilities, the top leagues do too as well.

Speaking to many people from different clubs, they are all saying the same thing. De-centralisation of games away from the the Friday night has not been received well. The whole idea about one night 4 games was about unifying clubs, players and build an atmosphere that promotes the women's game. Since this de-centralisation has occurred I have only watched part of one other game at the Parks. That was way back when the days were longer and warmer ie a long time ago and pre-Gepps cross.

We've gone backwards.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:23 am The comparison with amateur league and WNPL or NPL is absurd and irrelevant. Whilst all leagues deserve the respect of decent facilities, the top leagues do too as well.

Speaking to many people from different clubs, they are all saying the same thing. De-centralisation of games away from the the Friday night has not been received well. The whole idea about one night 4 games was about unifying clubs, players and build an atmosphere that promotes the women's game. Since this de-centralisation has occurred I have only watched part of one other game at the Parks. That was way back when the days were longer and warmer ie a long time ago and pre-Gepps cross.

We've gone backwards.

Correct, the SAASL is a much higher level yet they don't whinge it's too cold and windy.