WNPL and State sports Park

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

WNPL and State sports Park

Post by Riggles64 »

With the move to Gepps Cross, away from the Parks, will we now be seeing only 2 WNPL games on a Friday night? At the Parks we had 2 games at 6.15 and 2 at 8.15 or thereabouts. Looks like we only see 2 games at Gepps cross 6.15 and 8.15 and both on the artificial pitch. The main pitch isn't being used for WNPL? We're seeing more and more split round games this played at suburban grounds as "double headers". Some clarity please.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: WNPL and State sports Park

Post by Marinos »

Riggles64 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:43 am With the move to Gepps Cross, away from the Parks, will we now be seeing only 2 WNPL games on a Friday night? At the Parks we had 2 games at 6.15 and 2 at 8.15 or thereabouts. Looks like we only see 2 games at Gepps cross 6.15 and 8.15 and both on the artificial pitch. The main pitch isn't being used for WNPL? We're seeing more and more split round games this played at suburban grounds as "double headers". Some clarity please.
Pretty sure there's been 3 games a few times, as well as double headers on the grass.

I thought clubs made it quite clear the last 2-3 years they wanted to start hosting matches to make more money from gate, canteen etc

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Thanks for the reply Marinos.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Some teams use the same home grounds as their mens sides (Metro, Adelaide City, West Adelaide, Adelaide Uni, etc) whereas some clubs don't have grounds that meet the requirements neccesary to host NPL games so Gepps Cross is their nominated home ground (Salisbury Inter, Modbury Vista, Comets)

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

nathanburns15 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:23 pm Some teams use the same home grounds as their mens sides (Metro, Adelaide City, West Adelaide, Adelaide Uni, etc) whereas some clubs don't have grounds that meet the requirements neccesary to host NPL games so Gepps Cross is their nominated home ground (Salisbury Inter, Modbury Vista, Comets)
I understand SI and Comets, but why exactly aren't the Vista WNPL team playing out of their home ground?

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

no fence,so they can't charge as it has to be left open for public access apparently

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

All for double headers but I agree that the atmosphere and vibe created over the last few years at the Parks is (at this stage) absent from the new venue. The double headers (4 game in total) created a good place to go and watch other teams in the WNPL. This is the casualty.

As far as revenue raising, this may be true however, I gladly pay my entrance fee of $5.00 at every WNPL game where the "home team" takes the gate takings. I'd like to see the carve up for men/women double headers.

I have been charged $10 on 3 occasions when I turned up at a double header. I said I was there for the WNPL game. Reply? Doesn't matter $10.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

I think it's 8 games at the parks this saturday.

Adelaide Uni Feds
Adelaide Uni Amateurs
Adelaide Uni Women

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Uni have been hosting at APEX, but also at time inviting the away team to stay behind post game for a meal.
Trying to build a better post game environment foe the league.

This is similar to what men's teams do when they host.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I can see that there are some benefits. Clubs always looking for a way forward. The timing of the games is an issue.
Been going on for a few years so the discussion is good.

I'm a purist and I like the Friday night "game night". Pre-west beach and the Parks the wnpl was played on a Sunday afternoon, not many (if any) spectators, poor grounds and sometimes no ref let alone assistant refs. Has come a long way.

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:36 pm All for double headers but I agree that the atmosphere and vibe created over the last few years at the Parks is (at this stage) absent from the new venue. The double headers (4 game in total) created a good place to go and watch other teams in the WNPL. This is the casualty.

As far as revenue raising, this may be true however, I gladly pay my entrance fee of $5.00 at every WNPL game where the "home team" takes the gate takings. I'd like to see the carve up for men/women double headers.

I have been charged $10 on 3 occasions when I turned up at a double header. I said I was there for the WNPL game. Reply? Doesn't matter $10.
Do you really think $10 is expensive for watching a Semi Pro Football match? Also do you expect clubs to charge you half because you decide to watch one of the double header games? Its like going to a concert to watch two bands and you expect to pay half price because you only watch the support act. Give me a spell
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Ga Pala wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:40 pm
SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:36 pm All for double headers but I agree that the atmosphere and vibe created over the last few years at the Parks is (at this stage) absent from the new venue. The double headers (4 game in total) created a good place to go and watch other teams in the WNPL. This is the casualty.

Do you really think $10 is expensive for watching a Semi Pro Football match? Also do you expect clubs to charge you half because you decide to watch one of the double header games? Its like going to a concert to watch two bands and you expect to pay half price because you only watch the support act. Give me a spell
Yes $10 is a lot of money to watch a game at such a poor standard.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I'm not saying $10 is too much and I always support the teams/clubs. Your analogy about a band is nonsense. I agree a value needs to be placed on the game.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:17 pm I'm a purist and I like the Friday night "game night".
I'm a purist and I prefer a traditional home and away season, not every game at the same venue.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

nathanburns15 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:24 pm
SAD GAL wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:17 pm I'm a purist and I like the Friday night "game night".
I'm a purist and I prefer a traditional home and away season, not every game at the same venue.
I find it farcical that the reason some clubs are forced to play at the State Centre is a lack of a players race yet two out of three pitches at the State Centre have no players race.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Vista can't host because they don't have fencing I believe

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

nathanburns15 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am Vista can't host because they don't have fencing I believe

Vista has a fence but it doesn't seperate the pitches. It goes round both of them. They could get round that by using the one centre pitch only.

I'd love to hear that after all that money the abysmal fsa (that said the main issue there has now left and not involved with football) and the even worse mvsc mucked up to that level of incompetence.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Metro hosting 10 games this Saturday (juniors, community and NPL) on the same day at same venue. Hope that doesn’t upset the purists.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

God is an Englishman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:06 am
nathanburns15 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:36 am Vista can't host because they don't have fencing I believe

Vista has a fence but it doesn't seperate the pitches. It goes round both of them. They could get round that by using the one centre pitch only.

I'd love to hear that after all that money the abysmal fsa (that said the main issue there has now left and not involved with football) and the even worse mvsc mucked up to that level of incompetence.
Got to see the finished product last weekend and the clubrooms are superb. Pitch setup and quality however leaves a lot to be desired.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Marinos wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 pm
nathanburns15 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:24 pm
I find it farcical that the reason some clubs are forced to play at the State Centre is a lack of a players race yet two out of three pitches at the State Centre have no players race.
From what I understand, a players race similar to that at The Parks / VALO / APEX will eventually be installed between the changerooms and the closest Artificial Pitch, that can be rolled out and then back when players are going to and from the pitch.
Assuming that for Pitch 2, they'd use the same race and then cross the Pitch.

youreds15
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by youreds15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 am I'm not saying $10 is too much and I always support the teams/clubs. Your analogy about a band is nonsense. I agree a value needs to be placed on the game.
$10 to watch some international footballers... its not bad. ideally all teams will have Home games.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Still not a fan of games away from the one venue on one night. I think the game was prospering when at the Parks (Apex) when there were at least 4 games.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

billy the kid wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 pm Still not a fan of games away from the one venue on one night. I think the game was prospering when at the Parks (Apex) when there were at least 4 games.
So why do men's NPL clubs get the benefit of home games, but women's NPL clubs don't?
Clubs lose out on money.
It's about time that all clubs that have a home ground suitable to NPL football, be able to play every home game at that ground.

Only NTC/Adelaide United should be playing at the State Centre as a home game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

united92 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:05 pm
billy the kid wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:36 pm Still not a fan of games away from the one venue on one night. I think the game was prospering when at the Parks (Apex) when there were at least 4 games.
So why do men's NPL clubs get the benefit of home games, but women's NPL clubs don't?
Clubs lose out on money.
It's about time that all clubs that have a home ground suitable to NPL football, be able to play every home game at that ground.

Completely agree, all clubs should have to accomodate the WNPL. I mean forget all the money it costs to abide by the ridiculous requirements as long as the FSa and the 4 supporters are happy.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:07 pm
Clubs lose out on money.

Completely agree, all clubs should have to accomodate the WNPL. I mean forget all the money it costs to abide by the ridiculous requirements as long as the FSa and the 4 supporters are happy.
Given you've been suspended from both Vista and Uni I can understand why you archaically think only 4 people show up.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Marinos wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:50 am
God is an Englishman wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:07 pm
Clubs lose out on money.

Given you've been suspended from both Vista and Uni I can understand why you archaically think only 4 people show up.
You must think I am someone else. Not been suspended by either of those clubs.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Not sure why this topic and the posts have ended up becoming an off topic discussion about who is or isn't suspended. Personally these fixtures across the weekend and at various venues is only to serve one thing. Its clear to see that the FSA wants clubs to play away from the new venue because of the cost associated with hosting WNPL vs the men's. If that's the case please get the games (4 at least) back to Apex (the Parks). Friday night was good for many reasons with the main being that many many many players have jobs that require them to work Saturday's and Sunday's. Friday nights have bene imbedded into the player's commitments over the last few years and the games away from Friday night are no good.

Secondly there is little if any atmosphere at a stand alone (not always a double header) game.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:51 pm Not sure why this topic and the posts have ended up becoming an off topic discussion about who is or isn't suspended.
It was only 2 posts. I had to defend myself from the lies.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

No problem.

Play nicely team

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:51 pm Not sure why this topic and the posts have ended up becoming an off topic discussion about who is or isn't suspended. Personally these fixtures across the weekend and at various venues is only to serve one thing. Its clear to see that the FSA wants clubs to play away from the new venue because of the cost associated with hosting WNPL vs the men's. If that's the case please get the games (4 at least) back to Apex (the Parks). Friday night was good for many reasons with the main being that many many many players have jobs that require them to work Saturday's and Sunday's. Friday nights have bene imbedded into the player's commitments over the last few years and the games away from Friday night are no good.

Secondly there is little if any atmosphere at a stand alone (not always a double header) game.
I think if the FSA had their way, they would do exactly what you wish for, purely for the income made from bar and canteen. Now money is being thrown around for players at WNPL level, the clubs need the regular income stream from gate takings, bar to make it sustainable.