WNPL Season so far

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

WNPL Season so far

Post by billy the kid »

Depends on which way you look at it, season 2022 has delivered some interesting results and with some teams excelling. And some who just aren't. Here's my feeble attempt at aa review of season 2022 to date.

Surprises
These are the two biggest surprises…or are they
1) Adelaide City’s results in 2022. Is the rebuild imminent? How long before they slide out of the top 4? They’re sitting second but surely not for long. They have Fulham this wek so unless a disaster ensues, they should get the win.
2) Comets, huge results and big scores. Has the recruiting paid off? Are they a serious contender? Comfortably in 4th spot. Big game v Westies. Win and they are serious contenders.
3) Salisbury? Surely they’re better than 3rd? They have Birks this week and should get a very strong win and stay third.

Putting up a good fight
1) Adelaide Uni have put up a few good performances and some not so good. They have surpassed last years’ wins and are sitting just outside the top 4. Have Metro this weekend and a win is a must. Metro is rebuilding but their DNA says never ever give up. Change in coaches so early may have caused a slight bump in results however, good wins in the Cup and against Modbury might give the confidence. Lucky they weer not relegated. They are repaying the decision by FSA to expand the WNPL.

2) NTC – started so strongly and lots of enthusiasm in the results they achieved. Starting to slide down the table. Week at a time. We’re getting into winter and enthusiasm starts to get challenged. Injuries and form to a very talented young group might have an impact.

3) Metro – As I said, their DNA shows that you never write off the team. However, a strong reliance on the old guard is a well that they keep going to. It has served them well. I’m too scared to give a forecast but I will say, they have a wide spread of goal scorers which makes them hard to match up.

4) I was going to put Birks and Modbury in this group however, I thought it may be patronising. I disagree. They are holding off strong teams but I think the pressure is far too great. Not sure where the wins will come from. I hope that they stay in the WNPL so they can consolidate and build. Relegation would be counterproductive.

Disappointments/Not a surprise
1) Birks/Modbury – I’ll be respectful and say, lets hope it starts to happen for them. Confidence is a great thing and could deliver some wins or at least a point from a draw. For me, Birks best placed to achieve. Modbury have a very young and inexperienced team. Maybe the recruitment off season ought to have been recruit WNPL experience. They did get one from Metro however, injury ended that experiment. Birks went out looking for WNPL experience and you could say it did not work. Cheque book recruiting not delivering.

2) Fulham. Once again we have this established team (club) sitting at the bottom. They staved off relegation by pushing Uni to the bottom. Had a play off but remained in the WNPL.Bottom below Birks and Modbury is a concern to this proud club. I would never write them off to achieve some upset wins.

Star Team

My Omission. Westies are a very good side and have dealt with teams effectively. Are they where Salisbury was in 2021? No but equally as impressive. That saying, some teams have not allowed them to get it all their way. And have had to scrape a win. Good balanced team. Can they win the league? At this stage I say yes. I see westies and then a gap between SI, City NTC and Comets. Then again on their day any team can beat each other. Finals are a crazy time. Metro 2020!!!
Last edited by billy the kid on Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: WNPL Season so far

Post by billy the kid »

I will say that I have not seen all the games however, the competition in the WNPL has been really good. Good standard. Some close games and maybe a couple not so. Lots of goals.

I hope that the run for the top 4/5 is going to go the wire. Looks that way. Also, i do hope that relegation does not occur this year. Modbury and Birks sit towards the bottom of the ladder and are at risk. They have show to be playing a good game of football and taking it up to the teams. They will need a year or so in the WNPL to consolidate and Maybe recruit some established WNPL talent. Relegation serves no purpose for these two teams. Worthy of another year.

terminator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by terminator »

Interesting angle on Fulham.

Last year were bottom 2 with Fiona Worts - A League Player of the year.

This year currently 3rd bottom and without the A-League player of the year and struggling to score but much better structure. Apart from the odd blow out have held it together well. If they had Fiona this year I dare say would be pushing for finals.

To me with Nando Sergi at the helm are re-building the team nicely with a new foundation.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Temminator

I think its about time (being honest) that Fulham put together a sustainable structure with an eye to the future. Yes there are some good signs and they have certainly pushed sides. However, to get to the point where you can make finals regularly is a big challenge. Did nando step up or was he nudged to accept the gig. He is from the boys set up.

Salisbury for mine and now comets, are good examples where they have done exceptionally well. Good coach at the helm has for SI mean sustained growth and performances. They, along with Comets have recruited strongly and continue to approach players to move across. Only negative is that every coach at SI get enamored (rightfully so) with Cote and when she is not there they struggle. Mindset?

Birks for me needs to stay up. They are a good side and should get above Fulham. Modbury are also showing excellent signs and stepping up.

If I had to pick a team to be relegated? I can't. Rules say bottom out. with the second to last going into a play off for survival. I hope Birks and Modbury stay

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

billy the kid wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:24 pm Depends on which way you look at it, season 2022 has delivered some interesting results and with some teams excelling. And some who just aren't. Here's my feeble attempt at aa review of season 2022 to date.

Surprises
1) Adelaide City’s results in 2022. Is the rebuild imminent? How long before they slide out of the top 4? They’re sitting second but surely not for long. They have Fulham this wek so unless a disaster ensues, they should get the win.
2) Comets, huge results and big scores. Has the recruiting paid off? Are they a serious contender? Comfortably in 4th spot. Big game v Westies. Win and they are serious contenders.
3) Salisbury? Surely they’re better than 3rd? They have Birks this week and should get a very strong win and stay third.

Putting up a good fight
1) Adelaide Uni have put up a few good performances and some not so good. They have surpassed last years’ wins and are sitting just outside the top 4. Have Metro this weekend and a win is a must. Metro is rebuilding but their DNA says never ever give up. Change in coaches so early may have caused a slight bump in results however, good wins in the Cup and against Modbury might give the confidence. Lucky they weer not relegated. They are repaying the decision by FSA to expand the WNPL.

2) NTC – started so strongly and lots of enthusiasm in the results they achieved. Starting to slide down the table. Week at a time. We’re getting into winter and enthusiasm starts to get challenged. Injuries and form to a very talented young group might have an impact.

3) Metro – As I said, their DNA shows that you never write off the team. However, a strong reliance on the old guard is a well that they keep going to. It has served them well. I’m too scared to give a forecast but I will say, they have a wide spread of goal scorers which makes them hard to match up.

4) I was going to put Birks and Modbury in this group however, I thought it may be patronising. I disagree. They are holding off strong teams but I think the pressure is far too great. Not sure where the wins will come from. I hope that they stay in the WNPL so they can consolidate and build. Relegation would be counterproductive.

1) Birks/Modbury – I’ll be respectful and say, lets hope it starts to happen for them. Confidence is a great thing and could deliver some wins or at least a point from a draw. For me, Birks best placed to achieve. Modbury have a very young and inexperienced team. Maybe the recruitment off season ought to have been recruit WNPL experience. They did get one from Metro however, injury ended that experiment. Birks went out looking for WNPL experience and you could say it did not work. Cheque book recruiting not delivering.

2) Fulham. Once again we have this established team (club) sitting at the bottom. They staved off relegation by pushing Uni to the bottom. Had a play off but remained in the WNPL.Bottom below Birks and Modbury is a concern to this proud club. I would never write them off to achieve some upset wins.
A good review of the season so far but just wondering if you just forgot WA or do they not rate a mention??
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

terminator
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by terminator »

billy the kid wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:29 am Thanks Temminator

Did nando step up or was he nudged to accept the gig. He is from the boys set up.
I dont know Nando personally and am just an outsider looking in.

Either way if he was nudged or stepped up Fulham seem to be creating some identity in the way they are playing from the games I have seen.

Correct Birks on paper seem a stronger side and have better indivdual players overall but there is no i in team. Build a team not a team of indivduals and results will come.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

My apology. I've edited my first post to include Westies
Raich Carter wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:17 am
billy the kid wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:24 pm Depends on which way you look at it, season 2022 has delivered some interesting results and with some teams excelling. And some who just aren't. Here's my feeble attempt at aa review of season 2022 to date.

Surprises

Putting up a good fight

A good review of the season so far but just wondering if you just forgot WA or do they not rate a mention??

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

I understand its a top 5 this season and relegation is happening.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Great for a Top 5 finals campaign. More games.

Relegation. Sad for the team that goes out in straight sets. No error for margin with Vista, Birks, and Fulham.
BAGGIO 15 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:14 pm I understand its a top 5 this season and relegation is happening.

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Fulham are playing very well with the cattle they have. Teams like Inter and Comets have spent big dollars to be where they are
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

They have spent the cash to get the players and in one way that is good as it places a value on the player. Not too long ago you played for $0. Fulham have not spent as wisely and over the last few years have bought marquee players as a Hail Mary and that has gotten them no where. Maybe the club needs to support the women's comp and set a direction on recruiting players or step up their development program. Fulham haven't been contenders since 2016 when they won the Cup and pushed hard into the finals.
Ga Pala wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:11 pm Fulham are playing very well with the cattle they have. Teams like Inter and Comets have spent big dollars to be where they are

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

Yeah not sure Fulham are in a position to spend $700 per game for players as per Inter and Comets have
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Geez Birkalla were woeful (although it did appear had a very thin squad available) vs NTC last night.
Unfortunately this drubbing will dent any confidence they may have had & it just might be all downhill from here.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Ga Pala wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:03 pm Yeah not sure Fulham are in a position to spend $700 per game for players as per Inter and Comets have
I think you'll find West and city are also paying out around that per game (probably more) as mentioned Fulham had the money for Jenna and then Fiona and they were rumoured to be on around $400-$500 per game plus a few other stalwarts of the club getting a little $$ also.

As long as those paid players are held accountable and give back to the club on and off the field it's a good thing in my opinion.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Nobody at City is making 600-700 per game.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

I read it as per team not an individual - surely no one is making 600-700 individually per game :wtf:

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Rightside wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:10 pm I read it as per team not an individual - surely no one is making 600-700 individually per game :wtf:
Ah...my misunderstainding.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I think you're on the money (pardon the pun). Spending in the wrong areas.

As far as accountability goes, it's the club that is accountable. Where it spends its money on player payments. What a plyer is to give back is something that should be discussed when the $$$ are flashed about to entice them to come. Not the player.

Rightside wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:48 pm
Ga Pala wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:03 pm Yeah not sure Fulham are in a position to spend $700 per game for players as per Inter and Comets have
I think you'll find West and city are also paying out around that per game (probably more) as mentioned Fulham had the money for Jenna and then Fiona and they were rumoured to be on around $400-$500 per game plus a few other stalwarts of the club getting a little $$ also.

As long as those paid players are held accountable and give back to the club on and off the field it's a good thing in my opinion.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

They did pay that and more for a couple of players.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Comets has this in their DNA from before they came into the wnpl. Took a while but the results are in and they have made the finals in great form. Good recruiting from John P is seeing results. The players that came across are demanding decent cash per game. Good if you can get it.