AUFC - W season 2021-2022

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: AUFC - W season 2021-2022

Post by juniorsupporter »

Ga Pala wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:47 pm Very Poor team. Can see them being cellar dwellers unfortunately.
😳😂

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Love this- the girls make finals for the first time ever and....crickets.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

juniorsupporter wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:00 pm Love this- the girls make finals for the first time ever and....crickets.
Agree. Nothing but calling for people's heads for years. Nothing but calling for players to be replaced.

But when this team achieves something unique - and the coaches & players have all said they owe this to those before them - the gallery recedes.

What they've achieved - sitting in either 2nd, 3rd or 4th almost all season and scoring freely - should be celebrated. I was glad to see the fans in the stadium give them a rousing reception at full time. They deserve it.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

It's you and me Marinos.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Having carefully watched the form recently of the top 4, I believe there's no reason we can not now progress to the final.
We showed Melb V. the improvement made since early in the season & with a good showing against Sydney should give
us further confidence we can now be a title contender. Do we have the squad that can go all the way, possibly yes but for me it will be heavily dependent on the team Adrian selects on the given day. Congrats making top 4, now lets go for it. :thumbup:

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

scar wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:00 pm Do we have the squad that can go all the way, possibly yes but for me it will be heavily dependent on the team Adrian selects on the given day.
If today's starting 11 vs Sydney was a sample of Adrian's team selection heading into playoffs then I'm no longer confident in our finals hopes but sincerely wish I am proven wrong.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

scar wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:20 pm
scar wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:00 pm Do we have the squad that can go all the way, possibly yes but for me it will be heavily dependent on the team Adrian selects on the given day.
If today's starting 11 vs Sydney was a sample of Adrian's team selection heading into playoffs then I'm no longer confident in our finals hopes but sincerely wish I am proven wrong.
3 of our usual starters unavailable with Condon and Hayward out with injury and Sasaki - suspended. Evans is usually an option but she's unavailable due to COVID protocols. I don't think Adrian had much else to pick from, as is always the way with such thin ALW squads.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I imagine the starting 11 v. Victory will differ significantly from the one that played yesterday.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Agreed our squad depth was hampered on this occasion but my real concern is Adrian playing players out of their position when better options were available be it on the bench or already on the park. Ella had a reasonable game especially when she reverted back to the central defensive role but why was she even playing in the midfield. You have our captain just busting to play further up the field & more in her natural role but continues to play at full-back (a fish out of water) & was given the 'run around' by a seasoned Ibini on numerous times. Meanwhile Emma found herself playing a forward role when her best is playing the defensive midfielder role & we already had two capable players on the bench (Georgia or Emilia) who could have played from the start upfront instead. Our midfield there is no doubt struggled yesterday & unfortunately as I've mentioned before when it comes to the crunch games where the physicality becomes a factor then Reona is ineffective.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Tough afternoon for the women- but a really good season with positives to hold onto. Well done girls.

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

I only watched the second half and I thought the american centre back No4 and the GK for AU played well but most of the others players tried to rush things forward to options that weren't on or to no option especially when there seemed to be better options.

AU tried hard but they made the job harder for themselves due to technical mistakes and not making good football decisions.

But good on them for getting as far as they did this year.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

The team was exceptional over the course of the season.

Many commented at the start of this season that this was a weaker squad and the best opportunity to make finals was missed last season.

Not only did they make finals, they set a wins, goals and points record for the club as well as earning the golden boot award.

If we are to judge the season on one game, then let it be returning from a Round 1 battering away to Victory to smash them comprehensively at home a couple months later.

I'm looking forward to next season eagerly, because there's something in the formula that just feels right.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Melb. Victory going all the way to being 2022 champions has me sadly thinking that could've been Adel. Utd with some better team selections in our semi-final.