Season 2022

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Season 2022

Post by united92 »

Rumours of WNPL increasing to 10 teams (no relegation and both Modbury Vista and Birkalla to come up).

Apparently a large number of clubs have put their names forward for the WSL in 2022.
Elizabeth Grove announced tonight that they've been accepted into the Women's State League for 2022 (finished bottom (10th) of Division 5 in 2021).

Some interesting announcements to come I think.....

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Season 2022

Post by Marinos »

united92 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:15 pm Rumours of WNPL increasing to 10 teams (no relegation and both Modbury Vista and Birkalla to come up).

Apparently a large number of clubs have put their names forward for the WSL in 2022.
Elizabeth Grove announced tonight that they've been accepted into the Women's State League for 2022 (finished bottom (10th) of Division 5 in 2021).

There was once a time when criteria such as juniors (ie commitment to development) had to be met.

Seems to me it's more about $$$ now

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Marinos wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:10 pm
united92 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:15 pm Rumours of WNPL increasing to 10 teams (no relegation and both Modbury Vista and Birkalla to come up).

There was once a time when criteria such as juniors (ie commitment to development) had to be met.

Seems to me it's more about $$$ now
Pretty sure the criteria only every applied to WNPL, and you had to meet said criteria to be in the running for promotion to WNPL from State League. Salisbury United were denied promotion a few years ago because they didn't have a junior program.

Grove have a lot of work to do. Really hope we don't see a repeat of Croydon from a few years back where the State League team had a large proportion of inexperienced/new players and ended up getting belted every week.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

I understand the WNPL requirements differ greatly to that of the WSL.
WSL require a Div team or U17 that could become a reserves team should they get promoted.
They would also need another junior team, along with other off field requirements.
Great to see clubs stepping forward to promote the women's game and provide opportunities for what we hope is an influx of young players pre and post the WC.
There simply aren't enough clubs to accommodate the juniors so the more pathways the better.
The quality at the top end should improve season on season.
There seems to now be enough quality to run a two 10 team comps and that's should a positive for the state.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Well said Baggio. Totally agree.

Uni has/was to be related. Fulham hanging in. Both have well established structures and junior set ups that cannot be destroyed. The women's game is better for the expanded WNPL and for the (possible/hopeful) retention of Uni and fulham in the WNPL. Win win.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

BAGGIO 15 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 pm I understand the WNPL requirements differ greatly to that of the WSL.
WSL require a Div team or U17 that could become a reserves team should they get promoted.
They would also need another junior team, along with other off field requirements.
Great to see clubs stepping forward to promote the women's game and provide opportunities for what we hope is an influx of young players pre and post the WC.
There simply aren't enough clubs to accommodate the juniors so the more pathways the better.
There seems to now be enough quality to run a two 10 team comps and that's should a positive for the state.
Literally 2 years ago there wasn't even enough quality for a 6 team State League to stay in the structure, but you believe in 2 years we now have the talent for an extra 12 senior teams (incl reserves) in the top two divisions overall?!

I have no doubt things are about to explode but it's like the FSA putting Prince Alfred College men's amateurs from SAASL Div 3 into State League 1. It's pathetic and damaging. Look at White City this year, didn't have a senior side, somehow got admitted to SL, and got thumped week in week out.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Agreed Marinos, there isn't the depth of talent. The top 2 or 3 of State League will be heads and shoulders above the rest (as they were this year) and the bottom 2 will be a long, long way off, and this pattern will likely continue for a few more years.

But we have to start somewhere. I only hope the clubs nominating to be in SL are serious about developing women's football and have a plan and people that are invested and willing to put in the work to get them to a stage where they are competitive.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Campbelltown have also announced that they have been granted entry into the WSL for 2022 (Finished 6th of 7 in Division 1 in 2021).

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Marinos wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:27 pm
BAGGIO 15 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:36 pm I understand the WNPL requirements differ greatly to that of the WSL.
Literally 2 years ago there wasn't even enough quality for a 6 team State League to stay in the structure, but you believe in 2 years we now have the talent for an extra 12 senior teams (incl reserves) in the top two divisions overall?!

I have no doubt things are about to explode but it's like the FSA putting Prince Alfred College men's amateurs from SAASL Div 3 into State League 1. It's pathetic and damaging. Look at White City this year, didn't have a senior side, somehow got admitted to SL, and got thumped week in week out.
The WSL doesn't have a reserves team, they run a second side in either divs or U17's.
The WSL in 2022 will be closer across the top half I believe which will provide opportunities for players to hopefully develop and take the next step.

Too many players leave the game around the 16-17 age group as some can't break into reserve sides and Yet div football isn't enough of an incentive to continue so we lose them.
Hopefully a position in the WSL will motivate them to continue.

The Div 1 comp will suffer, but realistically this isn't a bad thing as it will distribute talent more evenly over time across other clubs. Clubs like Inter, Metro and Uni had a heap of talent good enough to play at either WNPL Reserves/WSL level.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

Lucky your Adelaide University team survived relegation now.