Get Rid of Double Headers with men

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Get Rid of Double Headers with men

Post by SAD GAL »

Time for these double headers with WNPL and NPL teams to cease. I sued to be a supporter of these things however, they’re occurring every weekend across many time zones and in various venues. Whilst the concept is good, the move to these double heads are not good for the WNPL. Why? The benefit and support that is obtained when all the games played at Valo (Parks) is invaluable to the comp. Instead we have 2 games at Valo and the other two across the week/weekend. The parks is a barren wasteland at 8 pm.

The second big issue is the venues themselves. Santos, TK Shutter, Adelaide City park and the dreaded wind swept inhospitable west beach.

The facilities in which the female players are to get changed in, warm up etc vary dramatically. Santos, TK and City park are appalling and unacceptable. In 2021 this rubbish is still happening. City and SANTOS are by far the worse.

Get back to the Parks on Friday nights. Save the double headers for early season.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Get Rid of Double Headers with men

Post by united92 »

Surely you're taking the absolute pizz here.

Maximising crowds with supporters supporting both the men and women is a huge thing. It's not like supporters of other clubs stick around for the full match of a match that doesn't involve their teams.

Clubs actually get a home ground advantage again at the ground they train at, unlike every match being at NTCs home ground.

This is a horrible take, and FSA would be crazy to take this away again.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am Time for these double headers with WNPL and NPL teams to cease. I sued to be a supporter of these things however, they’re occurring every weekend across many time zones and in various venues.
You do know how a typical home and away season works right?

Also what time zones are games being played in besides the South Australian time zone? Bizarre comment.
SAD GAL wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am
Instead we have 2 games at Valo and the other two across the week/weekend. The parks is a barren wasteland at 8 pm.
Clubs and supporters have grown tired of playing at the Parks. There is no home ground advantage (unless you are NTC) and I suspect people are tired of lining up for 20 mins for some very average canteen food or a lukewarm pod coffee.

How is women's football meant to progress if WNPL clubs are denied the same revenue streams as the men's? (bar, canteen, gate takings, etc). If their ground meets the criteria why wouldn't you let them host their own home games?
SAD GAL wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am
The second big issue is the venues themselves. Santos, TK Shutter, Adelaide City park and the dreaded wind swept inhospitable west beach.

The facilities in which the female players are to get changed in, warm up etc vary dramatically. Santos, TK and City park are appalling and unacceptable. In 2021 this rubbish is still happening. City and SANTOS are by far the worse.
I haven't played on City or Santos so I can't comment, but the pitch at TK Shutter is vastly superior to The Parks.
The facilities themselves absolutely need work, but by hosting the womens games at these venues it allows clubs to secure funding to improve the facilities and bring them up to standard.

SAD GAL wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am Get back to the Parks on Friday nights. Save the double headers for early season.
Prepare to be disapointed, as The Parks will not be a Football SA venue in 2022.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

My one concern with moving the WNPL games back to club venues is that men's clubs often short change their women's teams when it comes to putting on the matches. I've seen it several times and notified FSA...I was at one game where the women played second...change rooms were a mile away in what looked like a block toilet, after the men had finished, they started putting the scoreboard away (and then there was nobody updating it), there was no announcer, the canteen closed so there was nothing to eat or drink after about 20 minutes into the first half. All the men and many supporters from the host club retired to eat pizza in the canteen room after the men's game, and then left. I have seen other examples at other games, but nothing as egregious as this. There's just a basic lack of respect oftentimes. It's the little things that signal that disrespect.

I think double headers work best when the women play first. That way the men and their supporters filter in during the match and all of the facilities are up and running- for the men or course, but still it's better than playing after the men.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Post by God is an Englishman »

Depends on when the women's game is scheduled for. Should be either before the 18's or after the seniors.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I think double headers work best when the women play first. That way the men and their supporters filter in during the match
i think most paying customers would want to watch the Reserves prior to the main game...otherwise you're manipulating artificial support for a product that doesn't deserve it.
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Unless the women's WNPL game is shown the same respect as the men's NPL game, these double headers will continue to fail. I've heard from a number of people that the NPL clubs aren't happy about the arrangements but are going with it as it's a directive from FSA.

I've been along to a few now where there is no one on the gate beyond 30 minutes into the NPL game so WNPL spectators are getting in with no charge (bonus for the spectators but then what is the point if the clubs are supposed to be making money from this venture?). Canteens closing up before the end of the NPL game, and certainly no more food available during the WNPL game. Absolutely sub standard change rooms with no where near enough space for a full squad and players from both teams (32 players + support staff) are expected to share the only 2 female toilets with the spectators at the venue. At another venue the WNPL team was hounded to hurry up and vacate the change rooms with 3 or 4 older men from the NPL club impatiently standing in the door way. Game announcers have been missing and there is no promotion on site of the WNPL game that is to follow the NPL game.

What part of any of this makes anyone feel like they have a 'home ground advantage?' The WNPL teams are treated as an afterthought, both the home and away teams.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

On the other side, I've had women's teams demanding to get in whilst blokes are still in the showers.

As for canteens, it's obviously on supply and demand.

How are the changing room sub standard for women but fine for men?

As for the respect, it will get that when it brings in the same amount of spectators and sponsorship.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Many good points win here. Really good. Whilst I think the idea was good I would prefer the arrangement to play at the Parks on Friday night with all games.

As far as the cost to go in, a few weeks back I went to good old Adelaide City Park and the gatekeeper Charlie S was letting me get in without paying $10 albeit for the WNPL. $10 flat fee. I paid. I watched the WNPL and left.

Interesting to read that the Parks will be no more in 2022. Sad. It's a good facility. Change rooms good. Canteen not bad...and it has a covered stadium and indoor area. Handy mid winter nights. The fact that 4 teams play at one venue on a Friday was/is good. Much better vibe. I watch at least a half of another game (may be more) and the game I have an interest in. I get the concept however, it's weekly now and I don't think it has the same interest.. The interest in the WNPL is the same as mine of the NPL. Cursory and tokenistic. Non interest goes both ways. WNPL strong enough to be on its own.

The aged old argument of getting respect when the same amount of spectators and sponsorship are attracted is interesting and once again with little foundation. From a learned perspective please explain to me how the gate takings from spectators and sponsorship pays for the player wages on any given game day? I think I can answer that question. It doesn't. I suspect that the junior team club fees are used to supplement the player payment bill in the NPL and SLs. I fail to see how gate takings, canteens sales and sponsors meet the wage bill. Most NPL clubs also draw their funding for some well paid players from women/girl club fees. If we're talking about self-sustainability then I reckon this age old argument is a tad out of date and founded in ignorance.

As far as canteen takings goers, the Parks canteen on a Friday night does a good trade.

For mine, let the double headers go and use them sparingly. They have a place. Change facilities need to be dealt with. Male and female amenities alike.

God is an Englishman
Board Member
Board Member

Riggles64 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:17 pm
The aged old argument of getting respect when the same amount of spectators and sponsorship are attracted is interesting and once again with little foundation. From a learned perspective please explain to me how the gate takings from spectators and sponsorship pays for the player wages on any given game day? I think I can answer that question. It doesn't. I suspect that the junior team club fees are used to supplement the player payment bill in the NPL and SLs. I fail to see how gate takings, canteens sales and sponsors meet the wage bill. Most NPL clubs also draw their funding for some well paid players from women/girl club fees. If we're talking about self-sustainability then I reckon this age old argument is a tad out of date and founded in ignorance.
So money coming in is not relevant? :lol:

Facts are simple, if the men's teams are getting more spectators and bringing in more $$ in sponsorship then it's pretty obvious why they get preference and more respect.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Thanks for the reply.

Can't argue with your rationale.

I suppose we can use that with moist things in life, self sustain or perish. Survival of the fittest. Pay your own way. I'm still waiting to see that happen.