WNPL/WSL Pro/Rel

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

WNPL/WSL Pro/Rel

Post by united92 »

Having seen a few of the results from the Women's State League recently, it's quite clear that Modbury Vista and Birkalla are the 2 standout clubs, and then there's a big gap to the rest. 10+ goal wins to the top teams almost weekly is absolutely ridiculous for what is technically regarded as an "elite competition".

Currently, 1st in WSL gets automatic promotion (subject to meeting WNPL requirements), and 2nd plays 7th of WNPL in a play-off.

If FSA want the WSL to succeed and not fail after 1 or 2 seasons like last time, a big, but warranted decision needs to be made.
Promote both Modbury Vista and Birkalla to the WNPL, and make it a 10 team competition.

Find another 2-4 teams for the WSL and give them 3 seasons with no pro/rel, and allow them to recruit and strengthen themselves. Then bring pro/rel back in.

It's a win/win for everyone. WNPL gets a 10 team competition (18 rounds, FINALLY not playing each other 3 teams in a season + Cup), and both WNPL and WSL would only be strengthened with more players with the Women's World Cup coming around fast.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: WNPL/WSL Pro/Rel

Post by Marinos »

Where do you expect these players to come from to strengthen an already shallow talent pool?

Do you think any existing player / club wants to play less games (18 v 21)?

Birkalla (1 season) and Vista (3 years) had no senior women's teams up until recently, why reward them artificially ahead of their time?

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Marinos wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:50 pm Where do you expect these players to come from to strengthen an already shallow talent pool?

Do you think any existing player / club wants to play less games (18 v 21)?

Birkalla (1 season) and Vista (3 years) had no senior women's teams up until recently, why reward them artificially ahead of their time?
The interest in football in women will only grow over the coming 3 years. I don't think the talent pool is as shallow as you think. There are decent players that could be playing WNPL/WSL floating in Div 1 and even possibly Div 2. With the success of the Matildas, plus an Asian Cup and home World Cup coming in the next 2 years, we could even get some players back from Aussie Rules. Who knows...
Add to that the juniors that will make the step into senior football in the next 3 years (2 years of U17s and the current older U15s), there's plenty of players coming up.

I think if you speak to existing players / clubs, they all hate playing the same team a minimum of 4 times a season (Pre-Season tournament, 3x League matches plus the Cup).

You reward them because they are far and away the best 2 teams in the WSL, and the rest aren't even close. Most clubs / players / people that follow WNPL want a 10 team competition.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Good comments.

For me, we need to bank on the success of the Matildas and the upcoming word cup.

I would not relegate anyone from the WNPL. As it stands Fulham are at risk and Uni in a precarious spot. The are both hard working teams/clubs that have shown that they have the structures and resources in place to field a team in the WNPL, seniors and juniors. Relegating one or both would basically spell the end of Fulham and Uni program and their juniors and senior teams would be decimated.

The teams in line to move in may have satisfied the criteria and earned a spot however, not at the expense of two teams that have had their challenges. They should not be punished. They should be supported.

Secondly, to lose a spot in the WNPL whilst the NTC remain is unfair and WRONG.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Not sure if there is or is not a relegation promotion for 2022.

If there is, then I would like to voice my disapproval. Fulham at the very least has been a foundation club for women's football in SA and have the track record and structure (juniors and seniors) in place. While I agree they have ben struggling for a few years, there are some things that need to happen at that club however, I have more confidence that there will be improvement vs bringing in a club ready for promotion that is an unknown. I heard Modbury is legible however, I question whether their result against a WNPL team in a cup round gives me confidence.

If Fulham is relegated they will probably never recover. Cumberland are a long way off making it back. And they will need to satisfy many criteria to be eligible.

I'm happy to be corrected if my views are wrong.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

billy the kid wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:55 pm Not sure if there is or is not a relegation promotion for 2022.

If there is, then I would like to voice my disapproval. Fulham at the very least has been a foundation club for women's football in SA and have the track record and structure (juniors and seniors) in place. While I agree they have ben struggling for a few years, there are some things that need to happen at that club however, I have more confidence that there will be improvement vs bringing in a club ready for promotion that is an unknown. I heard Modbury is legible however, I question whether their result against a WNPL team in a cup round gives me confidence.

If Fulham is relegated they will probably never recover. Cumberland are a long way off making it back. And they will need to satisfy many criteria to be eligible.

From what I understand, 1st in the Women's State League is automatically Promoted while bottom of WNPL is automatically Relegated.
2nd in WSL goes into a 2 leg play-off with 2nd bottom of WNPL for promotion.
Obviously with any WSL club needing to meet WNPL licensing regulations.

However this is the exact reason why my original post stands.
Don't relegate anyone, but promote the top 2 teams who are by far the best 2 in the State League, and make it a 10 team competition.

Give the rest of the State League (plus incoming SL clubs) 3 years to strengthen themselves, before bringing Promotion/Relegation back in.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Good discussion. Agree with everyone. Consensus seems to be expand the WNPL. Give teams/clubs time to strengthen before relegation/promotion kicks in. Agree.

Time to get this game promoted to the masses whom were engaged with the Olympics and the world cup. Many people watched women's football and appreciate the skill and ability. Let's market the WNPL and the many talented players we have tucked away in the teams.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

united92 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:14 pm
billy the kid wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:55 pm Not sure if there is or is not a relegation promotion for 2022.

From what I understand, 1st in the Women's State League is automatically Promoted while bottom of WNPL is automatically Relegated.
2nd in WSL goes into a 2 leg play-off with 2nd bottom of WNPL for promotion.
Obviously with any WSL club needing to meet WNPL licensing regulations.

However this is the exact reason why my original post stands.
Don't relegate anyone, but promote the top 2 teams who are by far the best 2 in the State League, and make it a 10 team competition.

Give the rest of the State League (plus incoming SL clubs) 3 years to strengthen themselves, before bringing Promotion/Relegation back in.
If you deny promotion for 3 years, do you think players will choose these clubs over say a WNPL Reserves side?

I know you're saying Vista and Birkalla get promoted in your suggestion, but the majority of the Birkalla side (and coach) are from the Comets side that finished last in 2020 and went to Birks to try play WNPL in 2022.

If you had, for example, Fulham players leave and go to Western Strikers but are then told they have to wait until 2025 to play WNPL do you think they really would?

I know it's more about these clubs growing the talent base, developing and promoting juniors, etc, but you are putting a lot of faith in some clubs who either don't prioritise juniors or have no intention of using it as the pipeline through to their seniors.

Examples have already been established - a team that made the cup final last night had an entire starting 11 made up of players recruited in the last two seasons.

I agree that the women's game needs to grow but as with the mens game, without "skin in the game" and the spectre of relegation / promotion I don't know what incentive these clubs have to improve their strategy and plan.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Interesting information....Looks like Fulham (sitting in relegation spot) are going down the trusted path of bringing Mr Fix it back again to stave off relegation. I understand it is to support the current coach however, as in past attempts, the coach goes and Mr Fix it goes in.

Hence why I don't believe relegation should be happening at WNPL. However, if Mr Fix it is again brought back to stave off relegation then I think the time has come to fulham to depart the WNPL.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

anyone who has been following the women's game and knows football will see that we clearly do not have the depth for promotion and relegation, so you relegate two clubs promote two clubs all you are doing is giving the rest of the wnpl new clubs to boost their goal average against.
Someone has already mentioned the Birkalla side made up of ex players, I believe most of the MV side were at Para Hills Knights who continually finished bottom.
I have been away for a while and watched two matches last week, sorry but the standard was woeful.
One was a midweek WNPL cup game supposedly two of the top sides, the amount of players with poor first touch, passes going astray or straight to an opponent was shocking, I stopped watching before the end.
Last Friday night though I was watching two WNPL Reserve teams play, turns out it was two mid table WNPL teams ??
Again I did not watch until the end.

Looking at the league table today you have two teams way ahead the rest of the pack, one who plays football, the other kicks the ball long to their international striker to chase.
Don't worry about expanding the WNPL, worry more about improving the standard of current competition.

What has happen to all the junior players that have come through the former sasi and current NTC system, from past years, where have they all gone ?
And why are these players not being sent back to the clubs they came from, for at least one season ?
If they have all gone to already strong clubs, well the whole exercise is a waste of time.

In my opinion for the women's game to develop and grow, the competition needs a revamp, the talent needs to be more evenly spread, and you can't have the best kids from other clubs playing together, without 3 or 4 senior players around them, they are missing out on learning and gaining valuable experience.
It is a major issue that few recognise, that in a competition over 40 years old and we do not have one wnpl club south of the city where a lot of former good players have come from.
Is there any kind of rule in place, that stops players who already have previous WNPL or W league experience, all playing together at one club ?
I feel for the lower clubs in the WNPL, all they need is a couple or three experienced players in the team to help them develop and become competitive, maybe some of the ones who start on the bench for the top three sides could play full game next year at one of the struggling clubs.
Those players will get more game time, they are helping other clubs, and the competition become more even, win win.
I won't hold my breath.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

The table doesnt lie.

Fulham and Conets have been cellar dwellers for years. Uni not much different.

They have been protected from relegation to allegedly rebuild. That hasnt worked. NPL is not an entitlement.

Time to move on and for at least one of these to regroup in State League. If its two of them then so be it.

Give someone else a chance to sink or swim.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

don't disagree with your comments in here about sink or swim however, comets is a good point to note that prior to promotion it had done well in it league. Set itself up with a good juniors set up however, it started to embark on a recruitment program backed by $$$$ of WNPL players whom moved into the State league for a year and then move back into the WNPL once comets were aware promotion. Fair to say that in its 3rd season it has still worked on a strategy of recruiting the best available talent and I suspect $$$ is the carrot. The results however, haven’t been what they’d expect.

In regards to Fulham, it is harder to mount a case for their retention. While I would hate to see an established team be relegated, they have done very little in the last 5-8 years and that its results have been haphazard. Apart from seasons 2016 and 17, Fulham have followed a well-trodden path of trying to recruit and pay for top end talent. Problem is, they didn’t have the players around them to capitalise on the investment. I don’t think Fulham club as a whole could be too concerned if the wnpl team was relegated.

Uni have been a different case to that of comets and Fulham. Have had a significant turnover of talent which they have tried to address by recruiting players, many much younger and post NTC. They need to settle the squad and recruit some experience to complement the developing younger players. They do deserve to remain in the wnpl.

Regarding the quality of the games, I am sad to say I agree. Last 3 years haven’t been the best.

Let’s hope it changes….soon.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

KRO wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:34 pm The table doesnt lie.

Fulham and Conets have been cellar dwellers for years. Uni not much different.

They have been protected from relegation to allegedly rebuild. That hasnt worked. NPL is not an entitlement.

Time to move on and for at least one of these to regroup in State League. If its two of them then so be it.

Give someone else a chance to sink or swim.
Uni played finals 2018 and 2019. That's hardly 'cellar dwellers for years'.
Comets are the most recently promoted team and were quite successful in the previous iteration of State League/Div 1 for at least a few years. They've put a lot of effort into building a team that can compete at WNPL level. They're a good example of just how difficult it can be.

The worrying part of Pro/Rel for me is what has happened three most recently relegated teams - Cumberland, Campbelltown, and Para Hills

Para Hills no longer has any junior girls or womens teams. Players and families found other clubs to play for.
Campbelltown has 3 junior girls teams and senior womens teams in div 1 and div 3
Cumberland has 1 senior womens team in div 1 and junior girls in all age groups

None of these clubs entered the State League this year and none, in the year after they were relegated, looked like they would push to get back into WNPL. Unlike in the men's comps, WNPL clubs struggle to 'bounce back' after being relegated. Players leaving relegated teams to keep playing in the highest league is nothing new, but we don't seem to have the depth of players or players looking for opportunities to move to squads that might fight for promotion where they will get more game time.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

And?

So we close up the WNPL shop and continue to reward mediocrity? Have we reached the point of handing out participation medals?

If clubs that are relegated are fair dinkum they will bounce back.

If their playing model or culture was unsustainable at NPL then let them drop to the level that suits their ambition.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

The comp isn't that flushed with talent for clubs to bounce back. Legation will undoubtedly mean an exit. Cumby won't recover.

Fulham need a kick in the pants...relegation has been a threat to them for years. Not serious about its women's program. Focus is on its State League 1 team.

BIrks are heavily trying to recruit via offer of $$$$$$$$$ to existing WNPL players to come across pending promotion at some stage. same tactic used by Comets before promotion. For mine, you're attracting the wrong players to go across whom are good in the State League however, in the move to WNPL the strategy fall short of expectations.

The moral of the story is...don't hand out participation medals however, be aware of the team/s preparing for promotion whom may be promising the world.

Fulham is doing what Fulham always does, when the threat of relegation comes in to play, out comes its favourite coach to the rescue. There will be a flurry of "paid guns" to get the team to win and move off the bottom. I hope the FSA are on to this and close the recruitment window asap. It's unfair and compromises the comp. Problem is if Fulham do remain in the WNPL, the same cycle will continue. Mediocrity.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Saw a post earlier that Sturt Lions have announced that they will be fielding a team in the Women's State League in 2022.

One of a number of clubs entering WSL I imagine.

But good to see NPL clubs making the effort to provide an elite women's pathway to the WNPL as well.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Will be good to Sturt Lions return. Anyone from Cumberland that can provide us with some information about how they're tracking?

I agree, the pathways the WNPL are providing the players.

Lovethegame
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Lovethegame »

In the way wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:02 pm anyone who has been following the women's game and knows football will see that we clearly do not have the depth for promotion and relegation, so you relegate two clubs promote two clubs all you are doing is giving the rest of the wnpl new clubs to boost their goal average against.
Someone has already mentioned the Birkalla side made up of ex players, I believe most of the MV side were at Para Hills Knights who continually finished bottom.
I have been away for a while and watched two matches last week, sorry but the standard was woeful.
One was a midweek WNPL cup game supposedly two of the top sides, the amount of players with poor first touch, passes going astray or straight to an opponent was shocking, I stopped watching before the end.
Last Friday night though I was watching two WNPL Reserve teams play, turns out it was two mid table WNPL teams ??

Looking at the league table today you have two teams way ahead the rest of the pack, one who plays football, the other kicks the ball long to their international striker to chase.
Don't worry about expanding the WNPL, worry more about improving the standard of current competition.

What has happen to all the junior players that have come through the former sasi and current NTC system, from past years, where have they all gone ?
And why are these players not being sent back to the clubs they came from, for at least one season ?
If they have all gone to already strong clubs, well the whole exercise is a waste of time.

In my opinion for the women's game to develop and grow, the competition needs a revamp, the talent needs to be more evenly spread, and you can't have the best kids from other clubs playing together, without 3 or 4 senior players around them, they are missing out on learning and gaining valuable experience.
It is a major issue that few recognise, that in a competition over 40 years old and we do not have one wnpl club south of the city where a lot of former good players have come from.
Is there any kind of rule in place, that stops players who already have previous WNPL or W league experience, all playing together at one club ?
I feel for the lower clubs in the WNPL, all they need is a couple or three experienced players in the team to help them develop and become competitive, maybe some of the ones who start on the bench for the top three sides could play full game next year at one of the struggling clubs.
Those players will get more game time, they are helping other clubs, and the competition become more even, win win.
I won't hold my breath.
In regards to the comments about the Modbury Vista players being ex Para Hills NPL players I just wanted to correct that comment. There is only one player who played a couple of NPL games for Para Hills Knights currently playing at Modbury Vista. She was a junior fringe player. Unfortunately the players from PHK NPL team that was relegated moved on to a different club to pursue their NPL dream. There are however 7 ex PHK junior players playing in Vista's SL who have never played NPL.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

In the way wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:02 pm anyone who has been following the women's game and knows football will see that we clearly do not have the depth for promotion and relegation, so you relegate two clubs promote two clubs all you are doing is giving the rest of the wnpl new clubs to boost their goal average against.

I won't hold my breath.
I do disagree with this part as well. I believe the quality and depth of player is actually there.

The issue is that the NTC system has so many teams. Pick 30 and have them play between WNPL and WNPL Reserves and whatever boys comp they play in, and put the rest back into the clubs. It's ridiculous how many teams they have.
Throw those quality young players back into the clubs and there you have it. There's the players and depth that people think isn't there.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

where are all these players ? if there are that many ntc players why is the standard of wnpl so poor this season ?
on a different note seems one wnpl club has a reputation of being a protected species - how do they get away with complaining to the referee in intimidating fashion, to the point they get everything they appeal for, even get away with one or two players putting their hands on the referee to get their point across was a time it would be automatic red card for touching a match official - how do they get away with it ?
I haven't watched for a couple of weeks now, frustrates me sportsmanship and fair play that is sadly lacking in today's game.
Example, when the ball goes out of play players know if it is theirs or not, why appeal for something that is not yours ?
Taking throw ins and free kicks why move the ball up extra 5 or 10 m from where you know the infringement occurred ?
Why do players do these things ?
If you knowingly do these things you are cheating - when I was coaching i would pull my players up on it, not in the spirit of fair play. And kicking the ball away when the other team is about to take a free kick .
Why are the three match officials not picking it up on these things ?

Even more disappointing when you have a team that is good enough to win without doing the above.
Just imagine how much better the game would be if all players and coaches started to do just some of the right things, make it easier for the referee and assistants.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

In the way wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:30 am where are all these players ? if there are that many ntc players why is the standard of wnpl so poor this season ?
on a different note seems one wnpl club has a reputation of being a protected species - how do they get away with complaining to the referee in intimidating fashion, to the point they get everything they appeal for, even get away with one or two players putting their hands on the referee to get their point across was a time it would be automatic red card for touching a match official - how do they get away with it ?
I haven't watched for a couple of weeks now, frustrates me sportsmanship and fair play that is sadly lacking in today's game.
Example, when the ball goes out of play players know if it is theirs or not, why appeal for something that is not yours ?
Taking throw ins and free kicks why move the ball up extra 5 or 10 m from where you know the infringement occurred ?
Why do players do these things ?
If you knowingly do these things you are cheating - when I was coaching i would pull my players up on it, not in the spirit of fair play. And kicking the ball away when the other team is about to take a free kick .
Why are the three match officials not picking it up on these things ?

Even more disappointing when you have a team that is good enough to win without doing the above.
Just imagine how much better the game would be if all players and coaches started to do just some of the right things, make it easier for the referee and assistants.
You literally see all of this happen at the highest level. EPL, A-League... Every professional competition in the world this happens. It's not like this is isolated to the WNPL here in SA.

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

get 10 teams in the WNPL Comp. its not rocket science. 8 Teams is a joke
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Feel for Adelaide Uni relegated. They are a strong hardworking club am sure they will bounce straight back up into WNPL.

brushmancity
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by brushmancity »

You think 8 teams a joke then how about 7 teams in Div 1 and 9 teams in Div 2. Even a 5 year old child would say why don’t they even the divisions up with 8 teams apiece then there wouldn’t be any byes. SAFA organising piss up in brewery I think NOT

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Rightside wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm Feel for Adelaide Uni relegated. They are a strong hardworking club am sure they will bounce straight back up into WNPL.
At least they have a strong enough female base to not fall victim to the Sturt Marion result.
I'd expect Uni to be straight back up next year. It'd be very very surprising if they weren't.

Looking like Modbury Vista will be the ones gaining automatic promotion.

And Fulham will face the play-off against Birkalla.

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

Fulham ; big improvement in the last 5 games would be surprised if they didn't stay up.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

united92 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:07 am
Rightside wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm Feel for Adelaide Uni relegated. They are a strong hardworking club am sure they will bounce straight back up into WNPL.
At least they have a strong enough female base to not fall victim to the Sturt Marion result.
I'd expect Uni to be straight back up next year. It'd be very very surprising if they weren't.

Looking like Modbury Vista will be the ones gaining automatic promotion.

And Fulham will face the play-off against Birkalla.
White City forfeited to Modbury Vista tonight. Meaning Vista are now officially confirmed as State League Champions and officially promoted.

Wonder if many Uni players will try and make the jump to Vista, and if Vista want any.

Very interested to see player movements for 2022.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Very poor form from White City

Lucas Leiva
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Lucas Leiva »

united92 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:12 pm
...and if Vista want any.
When the current "coach of the month" from Vista has been messaging players across the WNPL saying they're looking for minimum 16 new players I would say so.

Feel sorry for all the existing players. Sounds identical to the men's set-up.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sad to see a hard working club relegated. The new club/team had better hit the ground running. Big (huge) step up to WNPL. Given Covid impacts across all facets of life/sport/work, I would have liked to have seen a stave off of relegation. Then again how would that encourage SL teams to develop the womens game. Fulham the cockroaches survive. Just. They've been cellar dwellers on and off for a decade. To survive in the wnpl is admirable.

I don't blame Vista for contacting players to come join. There will be many players taking up the offer.

Never good to see a hard working team relegated. Happened to Cumby and they have never recovered. That's what FSA wanted., relegation and promotion, so there it goes. All while NTC takes up a spot in WNPL. That for me is the inequity. Cumby and Uni dumped and NTC survives. I wonder what would have happened if they finished bottom? I suspect "Covid. No promotion or relegation" card would have been used. Guaranteed.