Matildas squad for Tokyo

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Matildas squad for Tokyo

Post by KRO »

Unfortunately no SA based players in 18 player Matilda squad for Tokyo.

Can see that there will be generational change in the Matildas after this event but are there SA players in the mix to step up?

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Matildas squad for Tokyo

Post by Marinos »

KRO wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:02 pm Unfortunately no SA based players in 18 player Matilda squad for Tokyo.

Can see that there will be generational change in the Matildas after this event but are there SA players in the mix to step up?
Charli Grant has gone from SA NTC to Olympics standby in 3 years, I think that's well worth celebrating.

Every player will take a different pathway to try and breakthrough at that level, each will have their quicker climbs (Chidiac), whilst others will take time but are there or thereabouts (Checker, McCormick, Holmes, Willacy, McNamara).

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I have read as well that FIFA has negotiated, or is in the process of negotiating, with the Olympics to make the standby players fully rostered...So Charlie may be a full member of the squad in the end.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Well done to Charli. I agree Junior that we in SA are on the cusp of some increase in representation.

The risk from NTC to Matildas is in my view predicated on 2 things. A want to achieve and the environment where it is inevitable.

I know I have banged on about this a while ago however, worth noting that many players in the old defunct sasi women's soccer program were not provided the environment for success and either didn't get the chance to try out for the national team OR didn't progress. Sad really as there were many worthy players who deserved a chance. NTC is obviously a different set up and maybe the accountability and lessons learned have given our girls a decent pathway and environment.

WELL DONE

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I think that the increase in professionalisation of the game has also helped with the pathway. So many more opportunities now to play at a high level professionally than when SASI was around- there really wasn't anywhere to go...

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Congrats to Charli. Well deserved and to the NTC programme for delivering.

I agree that the professional pathways are there. I suspect they were always there it was just that the players had to decide whether to take the risk and pursue a career that may be risky (financially or career). Thankfully the world is a smaller place, players willing to go beyond the shires of Australia. The W League has certainly assisted this pathway because of the internationals we have coming here.