W league player rule

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

W league player rule

Post by juniorsupporter »

Anyone know how West Adelaide has been allowed 4 Wleague players?

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: W league player rule

Post by Marinos »

juniorsupporter wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am Anyone know how West Adelaide has been allowed 4 Wleague players?
After the rule was changed, two clubs fought it aggressively and it was changed to exclude goalies from the cap.

Ironically West Adelaide were not one of those clubs.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I think we should be welcoming the players back to the club of their choice. Not socially engineered by FSA rules that determines when a club meets its W League quota. Generally a home grown player can return to their club/ City over the years have had a decent W league quota and that most were home grown. I don't think limiting the number actually works. Will it result in one team becoming a quasi W League team? I always maintain that it's up to a club to build a high performance environment where a player achieves their potential.

Happy to read another viewpoint

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I agree- I think we are the only league with such a limit.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

billy the kid wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:45 am I think we should be welcoming the players back to the club of their choice. Not socially engineered by FSA rules that determines when a club meets its W League quota. Generally a home grown player can return to their club/ City over the years have had a decent W league quota and that most were home grown. I don't think limiting the number actually works. Will it result in one team becoming a quasi W League team? I always maintain that it's up to a club to build a high performance environment where a player achieves their potential.

Happy to read another viewpoint
Depends where you draw the limit for "home grown". A large amount of players started at a different club in juniors and ended up at City. To me, that's not home grown

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

united92 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:00 pm
Depends where you draw the limit for "home grown". A large amount of players started at a different club in juniors and ended up at City. To me, that's not home grown
Origin of every United player in last year's WNPL vs "home grown" club. Only two playing for their "home grown" club.

Willacy - West Adelaide (Para Hills / Adelaide City)
Holmes - Adelaide City (Cumberland / Fulham)
McNamara - Adelaide City (Adelaide City)
I Hodgson - Adelaide City (Fulham)
E Hodgson - West Adelaide (Cumberland)
Johns - West Adelaide (Uni)
Campagnale - Adelaide City (Adelaide City)
Dawber - Adelaide City
Mullan - Inter (Sturt)
Condon - Inter (Pt Pirie / Uni)
Kirkby - West Adelaide (Adelaide City)

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

According to FSA, "home grown" means having played for a club for one season prior to being signed by United- "home grown" does not mean the club where they started playing as a 10yo (or whatever). I am interested to know how the term is being defined here... what exactly is meant in this discussion by the term "home grown"?

I still think players should be able to play where they want. As BTK said earlier, if you have a quality program it will attract quality players.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Junior.

I can however, see the two aspects of home grown and why the FSA rules exist. Freedom of choice is key

Ga Pala
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ga Pala »

no where enough quality in the local league to allow a free for all. should def be capped at 2 W league players per WNPL team.
" I used to go Missing a lot- Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss Germany." George Best

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

And reward the incompetent teams/clubs and dissuade a player from continuing to play if she has to accept a spot with Fulham? The idiocy of ay such restriction is that the NTC continues to have a team in the WNPL at the expense of a club based team. That's the problem with the WNPL

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

billy the kid wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:51 am And reward the incompetent teams/clubs and dissuade a player from continuing to play if she has to accept a spot with Fulham? The idiocy of ay such restriction is that the NTC continues to have a team in the WNPL at the expense of a club based team. That's the problem with the WNPL

It's the same in every NPL comp around the country, but curious...at the expense of which club team?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

I don't think any other member federation has a restriction on the movement of W-League players.

And I don't think it's particularly good for elite player development for girls to stay in the NTC team past 17-

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

juniorsupporter wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:03 pm I don't think any other member federation has a restriction on the movement of W-League players.

And I don't think it's particularly good for elite player development for girls to stay in the NTC team past 17-
I didn't mean the rule, I meant the NTC in the comp :lol:

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

:clown:

terryball
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by terryball »

billy the kid wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:51 am And reward the incompetent teams/clubs and dissuade a player from continuing to play if she has to accept a spot with Fulham? The idiocy of ay such restriction is that the NTC continues to have a team in the WNPL at the expense of a club based team. That's the problem with the WNPL
this is why they should become the adelaide utd development squad .