AUFC-W v WSW

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

AUFC-W v WSW

Post by Riggles64 »

I watched the second half and our AUFC-W players showed immense commitment and tenacity. They probably started a little slower than WSW in the second half however, started to build and continued to attack. Many chances could have gone our way however, I like what I saw. Everyone played their parts. Macca in goals has not missed a beat since round one. Quiet achiever whom manages the defence well. Unfortunate second goal to WSW. Macca is a very good keeper.

eagleboy
Star Player
Star Player

Re: AUFC-W v WSW

Post by eagleboy »

Riggles64 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 am I watched the second half and our AUFC-W players showed immense commitment and tenacity. They probably started a little slower than WSW in the second half however, started to build and continued to attack. Many chances could have gone our way however, I like what I saw. Everyone played their parts. Macca in goals has not missed a beat since round one. Quiet achiever whom manages the defence well. Unfortunate second goal to WSW. Macca is a very good keeper.
AU dominated but the 2 goals against seem to come against the run of play. Our GK should have done better on the second goal but should never have been in the position to make a save owing to poor defending,

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

This weeks drawn game was more disappointing than last weeks loss. This was an important must win game to at least have any hope of securing a top four spot. WSW had only won one game and sitting near the bottom of the table. I even selected AU to win this match by two goals. As a result it has pushed AU outside of the final four spot. AU now have a tough road ahead with two games against the two inform top sides in Sydney FC and Canberra Utd. Melbourne Victory have two easy winnable games against the bottom side Perth Glory and Newcastle. The drawn game could come back and haunt AU by missing out of the finals.
From the game, Dylan Holmes once again proved to lead by example and played an important Captains game. I have Dylan to win the Clubs best & Fairest in 2021. Matilda McNamara, Maraushka Waldus and Izzy Hodgson continue to be solid in defence and Emily Condon with a strong performance in the midfield. It was great to see Chelsea Dawber find the back of the net but was still quiet. Chelsea must still be carrying an groin injury. Sian McLaren has been an important goalkeeper but unfortunately allowed a simple goal to sneak through which was costly. AU must take action and look at certain positions if it wants to play finals. My opinion that requires change is Charlotte Grant be replaced by Emily Hodgson. Charlotte is the future of AU and is still young but has been beaten at numerous times. Charlotte disposal is also of concern. Georgia Campagnale is not a midfielder and is hardly seen or effective and when she receives the ball she looks to play safely sideways or backwards. The front three strikers have only scored three goals between them so far and this is not good enough when one of your midfielder has scored three on her own.
I again will re-iterate by the current status AU is playing I find it difficult to see them secure a top 4 spot.
I hope they do prove me wrong and push me back into the hole. Best of luck on the remaining games.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

just watching the highlights on facebook w league site, looks to me like a different game to one described here - I thought both teams had chances WSW probably slightly better and having 4 more shots on goal. Just in that short highlights reel both teams defenders caught badly with ball watching not watching the attackers - 3 times WSW had 2 of their attackers vs 4 defenders and the wsw attacker is unmarked in the box ?
one time you had three adelaide utd defenders around 1 wsw player and a second wsw player come in behind all by herself- Reds first goal all wsw defenders watching the ball not one went to the striker ?
Last goal wsw scored not all keepers fault - the reds fullback was given about a 3 metre headstart to chase the through ball - the wsw winger caught her and raced past her to get to the ball first which eventually led to the equalising goal.
Lucky the whistle went when it did, Reds had a free kick just inside the penalty box , tried to take it quickly kicked the ball straight to the wsw striker, then the ref blew the whistle.
Well done to the 15 year old scored two goals gotta be happy with that even if from the other team.
Need to tighten up at the back girls.