AUSC-W Vs Melb Victory

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

AUSC-W Vs Melb Victory

Post by sportsbird »

A very disappointing result for AU as it was an important game as so far as retaining second spot on the ladder. The other disappointing aspect was the lack of fighting spirit from certain players who have been down in form. Maria Rojas is one player that needs to concentrate on playing a team game instead of playing for herself and tries to fish for frees every time she receives the ball. I am sick of her antics. Maria has only scored 1 goal in 5 matches. I will re-iterate again that AU has made some very poor decisions in recruiting especially the forward set up. Chelsea Dawber is not a genuine central striker and yet Adrian continues to play her there and then when she is not getting the ball transfers to the wing. Chelsea is also down in form but unsure if she is unfit or still carrying an injury. If she is carrying an injury should be rested. Emily Condon was again quiet but I still feel she is a winger not a midfielder. Fiona Worts has failed to show any form playing in the W League with just one goal in 5 matches. Mallory Weber is the only player to score 2 goals as a forward. The other goals have come from Midfielders which is not good enough. I am confused as to why Meleri Mullen plays up forward coming off the bench when she is a midfielder. I am also flabbergasted as to why Kahlia Hogg is playing in the midfield when she is not a midfielder. Lastly, Georgia Campagnale, congrats on the most games for AU but unfortunately has not shown any form so far. AU have a lot of work to do to turn this around. Overall, in my opinion AU needs to fix the midfield and forward setup.
On a positive note the back four have been solid and Sian McLaren has been great since Sarah Willacy left and another great game by the captain courageous Dylan Holmes.
Yes I have been critical but can someone tell me any other positive to come out of the game.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Re: AUSC-W Vs Melb Victory

Post by themagnet »

Well that was a predictable post....

Mullen is not a midfielder, she has played a majority of her career as a forward, only slotting into a true midfield position to fill gaps a few times in the 2020 WNPL season. She's got pace and energy in spades and a killer shot, but concentration or composure?? not so much. With AU using a traditional midfield triangle I think she'd be exposed. Kahlia Hogg was also recruited as a midfielder. I know the AU website list her as a defender but I don't think we should put too much faith in that.
Agree that Dawber has been poor since coming back from injury. Most disappointing for me is her lack of second efforts, she seems disinterested in trying to win back the ball after she loses it. She's looking like a player who when things are going well will get involved and take her opportunities, but when there is more defensive pressure or things aren't going the team's way, she goes missing.
Emily Condon's composure and vision when on the ball have been very impressive this season. I don't think anyone else in this squad can do what she does in the middle of the park. Her close ball control has really stood out. And I'd say the same for Fiona Worts. Both rarely give the ball up and although Fiona hasn't scored (and she probably should have), she has created opportunities for other players. Defensively she also works to track back and try win back the ball when AU turn it over.
Macnamara was solid again, as was McLaren, and Grant provided lot of run out of defence.

Overall I think AU were sloppier than they have been over the last few games. Was that due to MV pressure, fatigue, or just a drop of form??? Who knows. Some better execution in front of goal and AU wins, but that's football.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

I didn't realise Adelaide University played against Melbourne Victory.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

What ever happened to congratulating the opposition team?

Victory showed great resilience bouncing back from 6-0 defeat and took their chance is scoring.
AU squandered their chances but Worts and Rojas coming closest.

I dont think Adrian will be too bothered about this result.
3 wins from 5 at start, he would take that in a heartbeat.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.