Canberra Utd VS Adelaide Utd

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Canberra Utd VS Adelaide Utd

Post by sportsbird »

I would like to say it was an entertaining game but sadly a game that AU would rather forget.
But looking at the line up prior to the game, I was absolutely flabbergasted and confused. People would say it was because of injuries to two players Laura Johns and Charlotte Grant. That is not an excuse but rather terrible recruitment.
Firstly, Mallory Weber the 2019-2020 club champion and golden boot winner playing in defence. This was a preposterous move and whoever made that decision should be held accountable.
Isabel Hodgson is not a winger even though she scored, she is a defender. Mallory should have played up and Isabel as a defender.
Secondly, another shocking move placing Dylan Holmes centre back. Dylan is a defensive midfielder box to box player and has been an outstanding player in the WNPL. Again, people would put it to injuries to Laura Johns and Charlotte Grant. Again, not an excuse but poor recruitment.
Thirdly, Emily Condon, Georgia Campagnale and Chelsie Dawber are not midfielders which proved the demise in the last half.
Emily Condon is a winger and has proven to be a wonderful player in that position since she entered the W League as a winger.
Chelsie Dawber is also a winger who loves to run onto the ball out in the space heading in the direction of goals. She does not have the skills, stamina, or the pace of a midfielder. Also why did Chelsie play when she looked like carrying an injury.
Georgia Campagnale is a defender and should have been placed at centre back instead of Dylan Holmes.
Maria Rojas will also be a thorn in the side as she still attempts to take on opposition players throughout the game. How many times she should have passed on but didn’t. You could see one of the players on the wing was annoyed at Maira for not passing when she was on her own just outside the box.
In supposition, the game was lost to poor decision making. Yes AU was 2 nil in the first half but does not take away the final results.
The blame goes directly to the recruitment, department. Again players given contracts knowingly injured. Take it as you will.
There are questions that need to be answered to the following;
1. Why did AU decide to recruit a third goalie instead of a player?
2. Why did AU recruit two NTC players who were not ready for the W League standard?
3. Why did AU not recruit more midfielders and defenders where we are lacking?
4. Why did AU not select the following players below who would have fitted well into the positions that is lacking. We certainly have talented players that missed out that should have been given a start over the NTC players.
Yuka & Nanako Sasaki, Laura Stockdale
Elena Psaroulis, Chantel Ryder (Centre Backs)
AU have a lot of soul searching to do and better decision making in the next game.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Canberra Utd VS Adelaide Utd

Post by scar »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:27 pm another shocking move placing Dylan Holmes centre back. Dylan is a defensive midfielder box to box player and has been an outstanding player in the WNPL.
Oh dear, just watched some highlights (I still intend watching the full replay in the coming days) but what was Stenta thinking in playing Dylan at centre back. Our captain deserves more respect than playing her in a position where she looked like ‘a fish out of water’ & a most embarrassing situation as it turned out for Dylan. Combined with some ‘shaky’ goalkeeping we were always going to concede goals. Dylan is a proven match winner this season for AC or hasn’t Stenta been watching our WNPL. Dylan certainly won’t be positively influencing any matches playing as a centre half so hopefully we never again see a repeat of this experiment.
Btw unfortunately was only getting updates with no vision available to me but at 1 – 2, I did make the remark to my brother ‘surely we can hang on & get a result without revisiting the ghosts of last season’. Damn it, déjà vu.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

Have to agree that it looks like a very unbalanced squad overall. Lots of players that we have seen as wingers, (both forward and back) in their WNPL teams, but not much depth through the spine of the team.

There is another name listed on the AU website, 'Maruscka Waldus' listed as a defender. Dutch player who has played 2 seasons for WSW in between seasons in Europe. Did I miss an announcement from the club? Let's hope she gets here.

On a positive note, Matilda McNamara was excellent

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

She’s been in quarantine. Should arrive shortly. Center defender.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:27 pm I would like to say it was an entertaining game but sadly a game that AU would rather forget.
But looking at the line up prior to the game, I was absolutely flabbergasted and confused. People would say it was because of injuries to two players Laura Johns and Charlotte Grant. That is not an excuse but rather terrible recruitment.
Firstly, Mallory Weber the 2019-2020 club champion and golden boot winner playing in defence. This was a preposterous move and whoever made that decision should be held accountable.
Isabel Hodgson is not a winger even though she scored, she is a defender. Mallory should have played up and Isabel as a defender.
Secondly, another shocking move placing Dylan Holmes centre back. Dylan is a defensive midfielder box to box player and has been an outstanding player in the WNPL. Again, people would put it to injuries to Laura Johns and Charlotte Grant. Again, not an excuse but poor recruitment.
Thirdly, Emily Condon, Georgia Campagnale and Chelsie Dawber are not midfielders which proved the demise in the last half.
Emily Condon is a winger and has proven to be a wonderful player in that position since she entered the W League as a winger.
Chelsie Dawber is also a winger who loves to run onto the ball out in the space heading in the direction of goals. She does not have the skills, stamina, or the pace of a midfielder. Also why did Chelsie play when she looked like carrying an injury.
Georgia Campagnale is a defender and should have been placed at centre back instead of Dylan Holmes.
Maria Rojas will also be a thorn in the side as she still attempts to take on opposition players throughout the game. How many times she should have passed on but didn’t. You could see one of the players on the wing was annoyed at Maira for not passing when she was on her own just outside the box.
In supposition, the game was lost to poor decision making. Yes AU was 2 nil in the first half but does not take away the final results.
The blame goes directly to the recruitment, department. Again players given contracts knowingly injured. Take it as you will.
There are questions that need to be answered to the following;
1. Why did AU decide to recruit a third goalie instead of a player?
2. Why did AU recruit two NTC players who were not ready for the W League standard?
3. Why did AU not recruit more midfielders and defenders where we are lacking?
4. Why did AU not select the following players below who would have fitted well into the positions that is lacking. We certainly have talented players that missed out that should have been given a start over the NTC players.
Yuka & Nanako Sasaki, Laura Stockdale
Elena Psaroulis, Chantel Ryder (Centre Backs)
AU have a lot of soul searching to do and better decision making in the next game.
Another post about AU from sportsbird, another whinge. It's pathetic. Shut up

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

"Another post about AU from sportsbird, another whinge. It's pathetic. Shut up"

United92, This forum is for people to express their opinions where it can be debated. It would be nice if you could express your opinion and challenge my comments rather than saying I am whingeing and it's pathetic. I haven't heard from you in the past expressing your positive thoughts of the club, coaches and players.
So by your comments to me, is that your happy with the clubs direction and have no worries with its program.
It seems you were happy with Dylan Holmes was playing centre back, you were happy with Mallory Weber playing in defence, you were happy that Chelsie Dawber was playing with an injury etc. But If your happy with it then that's fine.
However, I would really appreciate if you could comment on the forum about any positive aspects of the club, coaches, formation, positions, player selection and its direction from your point of view. Maybe I could learn something from your opinion.