Dylan Holmes Captain of Adelaide United

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Dylan Holmes Captain of Adelaide United

Post by sportsbird »

Congratulations Dylan on your appointment as Captain of Adelaide United. Well deserved and a great honour to lead AU.
Wishing you and the team all the best for the coming season.
I should also compliment Adelaide United for a fantastic club day at Coopers stadium today. Thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the players.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: Dylan Holmes Captain of Adelaide United

Post by united92 »

Nothing bad to say about Karlovic this time around?
Makes a nice change

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

united92 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:58 pm Nothing bad to say about Karlovic this time around?
Makes a nice change
Well when credit is due I will give it. AU made a great decision in appointing a local player who has been outstanding in the WNPL the captaincy. Hope this will be a start to a bright future.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

sportsbird wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 pm Congratulations Dylan on your appointment as Captain of Adelaide United. Well deserved and a great honour to lead AU.
Wholeheartedly agree with Sportsbird & definitely the right choice made by AU after a fine WNPL season for AC.
Well done Dylan. :thumbup:

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

united92 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:58 pm Nothing bad to say about Karlovic this time around?
Makes a nice change
Thought it was April 1st today

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Wow looks like we've just lost our capt. to an o/seas offer that appears takes effect after this w/ends match vs Sydney.
A huge 'body blow' to our finals aspirations & not sure who can currently fill the void on her departure.
All the best to Dylan on her exciting move & congratulations on leading our team thus far this season with distinction. :clap:
Last edited by scar on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Well done on your excellent career move Dylan. I hope the Swedes have improved their attitude and community responses to Covid-19. I am certain that as an Australian you will lighten them.

You had an excellent season in the WNPL and the W League and this opportunity has come about because of that. I am sure the women's football community will wish you well and will keep an eye on your progress.

Keep safe.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Riggles64 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:56 am Well done on your excellent career move Dylan. I hope the Swedes have improved their attitude and community responses to Covid-19. I am certain that as an Australian you will lighten them.

You had an excellent season in the WNPL and the W League and this opportunity has come about because of that. I am sure the women's football community will wish you well and will keep an eye on your progress.

Keep safe.

well said
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Well done Dylan and congratulations on making a great move. Wish you all the best, you have been a great captain and a great player, sorry to see you go but I can understand this is an opportunity you cant resist.
My only question to AU is how can you let a player with that calibre go when your are fighting to stay alive in the finals. I am unable to fatham the decision made to allow Dylan to go at such a critical time of the season.
There is no other player in the squad that will fill her shoes. The club should be accountable for making an incorrect decision as the club should come first then the players. This decision will affect the club going forward. I am a supporter of the club and I would like to see the club succeed and this is the first opportunity for the club to do that. Now I feel I have been let down. I wonder how the other players feel now that Dylan has gone. It has totally disrupted the side. This should be about the club not players.
Any way good luck Dylan you have been a master-class.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

I agree with your comments however, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. I wish her well. The team will recover from this and do well. Team spirit is high.

In regards to her time in Sweden, it will be a different comp. Different level of players. It will not be the W league. Guaranteed. In the past the central mid role in Adelaide has been taken up by an international. How will she preform against a stronger opposition? It will be a test. I'm sure Dylan will give it her best.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:41 pm Well done Dylan and congratulations on making a great move. Wish you all the best, you have been a great captain and a great player, sorry to see you go but I can understand this is an opportunity you cant resist.
My only question to AU is how can you let a player with that calibre go when your are fighting to stay alive in the finals. I am unable to fatham the decision made to allow Dylan to go at such a critical time of the season.
There is no other player in the squad that will fill her shoes. The club should be accountable for making an incorrect decision as the club should come first then the players. This decision will affect the club going forward. I am a supporter of the club and I would like to see the club succeed and this is the first opportunity for the club to do that. Now I feel I have been let down. I wonder how the other players feel now that Dylan has gone. It has totally disrupted the side. This should be about the club not players.
If I didn't know the tripe you write weekly, I'd think you were joking.
Adelaide United as a club have never stood in the way of a player looking to move to Europe. For a player that isn't a household name, or a Matilda, this is an absolutely huge move.

The same could be said for any men's club that sells a player in January (Coutinho from Liverpool to Barcelona springs to mind) when fighting for League titles (or in that case, European qualification).

It's football. Transfer fees are a thing. They've paid a transfer fee and are entitled to have her as they wish. To be honest, a lot of clubs wouldn't have let the player play a final / farewell match, so be thankful that we all get to see her one more time this season in a red shirt.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

united92 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:35 am
sportsbird wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:41 pm Well done Dylan and congratulations on making a great move. Wish you all the best, you have been a great captain and a great player, sorry to see you go but I can understand this is an opportunity you cant resist.
Adelaide United as a club have never stood in the way of a player looking to move to Europe. For a player that isn't a household name, or a Matilda, this is an absolutely huge move.

The same could be said for any men's club that sells a player in January (Coutinho from Liverpool to Barcelona springs to mind) when fighting for League titles (or in that case, European qualification).

It's football. Transfer fees are a thing. They've paid a transfer fee and are entitled to have her as they wish. To be honest, a lot of clubs wouldn't have let the player play a final / farewell match, so be thankful that we all get to see her one more time this season in a red shirt.
United 92
Let me re-iterate again for you. I have no issues with Dylan accepting a great opportunity that she cant refuse. That is a fantastic achievement to play overseas and in a great club. However, I want to make it quite clear, that AU is a South Australian club for all SA. As a paid member like many other supporters pay their membership to be part of a successful club.
Not to be a part of a club who have failed to make the finals over the last ten years. As a member, I fully support the team/club wholeheartedly and want to be part of a successful club which includes making the finals for the first time since the league started. Currently, AU hold the title of being the only club not to have made the finals which is sad.
Therefore, I am angry that AU decided to let Dylan go at such a critical time of the season in which the team have yet to cement a place in the finals and also having the opportunity to win the league especially as a result of elite players overseas. Now that Dylan has gone, I believe the opportunity will be missed. No players will be able to fill her shoes as I said previously in the forum. AU should be investing in the interest of the club, its members, and the success of the club which is not currently evident. Finally, I am absolutely flabbergasted when I heard Ivan's media talk in which he pointed out that Dylan success was associated with his program. What a load of hogwash. Dylan success came from her determination and individual hard work to succeed in the last three years. For example, in 2020, while WNPL players were taking a break through the awful pandemic, Dylan was training everyday to improve her fitness and skills to be the best player in the WNPL & W-League to fulfill her dreams of one day making the Matildas and to play overseas.
If this program is working as it did with Dylan , then Ivans program which he implemented approx 2 years ago should see AU make the finals and play off in the league final. But unfortunately, I cannot see that happen now due to a terrible decision. I just hope AU make the finals so I can shut up. But for you United 92, it sounds like you are quite happy to see a great Captain/player allowed to leave the club for her personal dream and give up the teams final aspiration. What about the other players dreams of playing in the finals including myself as a member and supporter waiting anxiously for AU to make the finals for the first time and maybe win a league title. But for you, its about the player not the club.

Delete Your Account
Club Captain
Club Captain

Post by Delete Your Account »

Nice win to farewell Dylan and cement a finals spot.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Sportsbird, you do not understand the world of football or the business of football.

Whether you like it or not AUFC is a business, its an investment of the owners, selling a player is what happens.

Dylan's move has the chance to open the door for others, hopefully its very successful for her.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

paul merson wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:10 am Sportsbird, you do not understand the world of football or the business of football.

Whether you like it or not AUFC is a business, its an investment of the owners, selling a player is what happens.

Dylan's move has the chance to open the door for others, hopefully its very successful for her.
Paul Merson
So you are telling me that selling a great player captain at such a crucial time where AU can consolidate a final berth and an opportunity to play in a league final for the first time is more important than the success of the club. Well I am flabbergasted by your comment.
I am a paid member and supporter of the club and I am supposed accept that the player is more important than the club and the player is more important than success. Well tell me why should I continue to pay to be a member if as you say this is just business and it's an investment to the owners and that success comes second.
I'm sorry, I cannot accept that as an excuse to sell off a player at such a critical time. I must come from a different planet as I have always been taught that success brings financial gain but in this instance is not the case. Well Paul, hope you enjoy the success should AU miss out of the finals and a league title just because of an investment.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Sportsbird, if AU held onto Dylan & she missed the boat so to speak people would be jumping up & down about that, as has been the issue over the last 20 years in the men's game.

IM just telling you how it is, it happens around the world, there is no financial gain for making the finals, I think you'll find the W League is still an expense to clubs, this is just how the world of football works whether you like it or not.

At NPL we've had players taken just before finals, just before round 1, has it damaged us, yes, is this because of where we sit in the football food chain, Yes.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

paul merson wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 pm Sportsbird, if AU held onto Dylan & she missed the boat so to speak people would be jumping up & down about that, as has been the issue over the last 20 years in the men's game.

IM just telling you how it is, it happens around the world, there is no financial gain for making the finals, I think you'll find the W League is still an expense to clubs, this is just how the world of football works whether you like it or not.

At NPL we've had players taken just before finals, just before round 1, has it damaged us, yes, is this because of where we sit in the football food chain, Yes.
This is true. Bit like when AU signed on Dom Costanzo from Croydon just before finals came around. Our top scorer, in red hot form, then bang! He was training with AU as it was considered "more important" at that time. Just have to suck it up from a club perspective, but otherwise who would stand in Dom's way? All the best to him!
Ignore this signature

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:33 pm
united92 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:35 am

United 92
Let me re-iterate again for you. I have no issues with Dylan accepting a great opportunity that she cant refuse. That is a fantastic achievement to play overseas and in a great club. However, I want to make it quite clear, that AU is a South Australian club for all SA. As a paid member like many other supporters pay their membership to be part of a successful club.
Not to be a part of a club who have failed to make the finals over the last ten years. As a member, I fully support the team/club wholeheartedly and want to be part of a successful club which includes making the finals for the first time since the league started. Currently, AU hold the title of being the only club not to have made the finals which is sad.
Therefore, I am angry that AU decided to let Dylan go at such a critical time of the season in which the team have yet to cement a place in the finals and also having the opportunity to win the league especially as a result of elite players overseas. Now that Dylan has gone, I believe the opportunity will be missed. No players will be able to fill her shoes as I said previously in the forum. AU should be investing in the interest of the club, its members, and the success of the club which is not currently evident. Finally, I am absolutely flabbergasted when I heard Ivan's media talk in which he pointed out that Dylan success was associated with his program. What a load of hogwash. Dylan success came from her determination and individual hard work to succeed in the last three years. For example, in 2020, while WNPL players were taking a break through the awful pandemic, Dylan was training everyday to improve her fitness and skills to be the best player in the WNPL & W-League to fulfill her dreams of one day making the Matildas and to play overseas.
If this program is working as it did with Dylan , then Ivans program which he implemented approx 2 years ago should see AU make the finals and play off in the league final. But unfortunately, I cannot see that happen now due to a terrible decision. I just hope AU make the finals so I can shut up. But for you United 92, it sounds like you are quite happy to see a great Captain/player allowed to leave the club for her personal dream and give up the teams final aspiration. What about the other players dreams of playing in the finals including myself as a member and supporter waiting anxiously for AU to make the finals for the first time and maybe win a league title. But for you, its about the player not the club.
You literally have absolutely no idea how the world of football and transfers work do you?
As an AU fan, as most people are in this state, of course you want to see the best for the team and the team have success. It's why clubs play football. It's why fans follow football.
But players are just pawns in the business, and can be bought, sold, loaned or released at any time (inside a transfer window, obviously.)
Once the club pays the fee (a first for AU in terms of female players), that club can do as they please. If they allow the player to stay for an extra x weeks to finish the season, great for the selling club. But the majority (if not all) of AU W-League players, would be on 1 year contracts. Meaning that once the season finishes, the player is no longer under contract and can go for free anyway.
AU would be stupid to:
1. Not accept the fee
2. Try and block the move.

It'd create an absolute mess in the media if the club were to block the move, and no player would want to come to the club, seeing how they treat players who wish to further their career.

Grow up, realise not everything is about you, and be happy that AU have sold its first ever female player. Because I'm not sure if this ever crossed your mind, but it means that not only are AU doing something right to be in the position they're in in terms of the table, but also means that other clubs will be looking at AU for other players.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I have been reluctant to post in this matter for obvious reasons- but I’ve noticed that there has been no discussion here regarding the long-term benefit to Adelaide United of Dylan going to Sweden.

Firstly, I think the team is deep enough, and enough players are hitting their straps at the right time, that they will play finals football. It’s a strong group that is bigger than any one individual. They will step up.

Secondly, the Scandinavian seasons normally dovetail nicely with the W-League so that players can return from countries like Sweden and play in the W-League. Hopefully next season the W-League will start a bit earlier and it will be easier for players to play both.

It’s in United’s best interest for Dylan to take this opportunity. She will return to the club with more experience, perhaps having played Champions League football. She loves Adelaide and will be happy to bring that experience back to help the club. It’s a win-win to me.

The women’s game still differs as a business model from the men’s. But the inclusion of a transfer fee is a step in the right direction.

Sportsbird, I understand your concern but I would like to encourage you to believe that it’s all going to be ok.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Dylan's opportunity is brilliant. Hopefully, the local players (young and older) can see that working hard at WNPL can present many opportunities. W League is a good stepping stone to getting your international career underway. Despite the publicity, you DO NOT need to go through the state's elite system to get the opportunity that Dylan has achieved. Set your own path. US college is a good option albeit Covid has stuffed that one.