Women's Grand Final 2020

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Women's Grand Final 2020

Post by sportsbird »

I find it disheartening that the women's grand final was held at Valo Pk while the men's Grand final will be held at Coopers Stadium. Again, the FSA are not taking women's football seriously and that is why cricket, NRL and the AFL continuing to improve in leaps and bounds ahead of our sport. Shame on you FSA. It's time for Wendy Carter to step down and target someone else who has the ability to be innovative and create new ideas to lift women's football in SA. Wendy Carter has been in the position for approx 10 years and I have not seen any progression other than removing the state league being introduced and then bringing it back. Introducing relegation and then removing relegation. Removing hundreds of young athletes from local clubs and placing them in the NTC and then reducing the amount of young athletes participating in the NTC. This is a person who has no idea or the ability to run women's Football. It's time Mr Michael Carter to act now and replace Wendy Carter before the WNPL reaches rock bottom. Players, coaches and supporters are sick of where the WNPL is heading. In conclusion, stop allowing Adelaide United creating Adelaide City as their hub for new recruits. This is affecting other clubs and it allows Adelaide City to remain the club of choice in attracting top quality players as they are promised a pathway to AU. Must stop now. FSA look after all clubs in SA.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Re: Women's Grand Final 2020

Post by nathanburns15 »

I heard having the Grand Finals seperate was Ivan's idea

C U Next Saturday
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by C U Next Saturday »

Do you ever have anything positive to say SportsBirrd ?

Whinge , complain , moan

Yet do you put your hand up and help

Pity your husband

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

SL1 & 2 GF's at Valo

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

:lol:
nathanburns15 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am I heard having the Grand Finals seperate was Ivan's idea
:lol: :lol:

Adi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Adi »

Sportsbird raises two points...I don`t have a problem with the WNSL Grand Final being a stand alone event at Valo. Given that the entire season is played on synthetic, taking the game to grass has seriously affected the quality of previous grand finals. PLaying the grand final at the venue and on the surface that the entire season is played on is, to me, appropriate. Playing as a curtain raiser to the men`s final, mid afternoon on a warm September afternoon, on grass, when the entire season is played on cold nights on synthetic is not the way to prepare for a grand final. My disappointment though, is that the grand final should be the showcase event and publicised / marketed accordingly. FSA didn`t do this and clearly, once again, the local media had no interest in publicising "soccer", More of the usual discrimination against our sport.
The 2nd point...I think is fair criticism and one that has been spoken about in the past. What is the plan for growth, development, improvement of women's` football in SA? I should ask...where is the plan OR is there a plan OR why isn`t there a plan? Yes, Wendy has been at the helm for much more than 10 years, well before women's soccer integrated into FFSA. Women's soccer has run competitions for over 40 years and today, there are only 7 "elite" senior clubs and the NTC that make up the senior comp. This competition is founded on such a fragile footing with seemingly little underpinning from the FSA. And someone has apparently decided it a good idea to form a state league again....really? Clearly part of the long term plan that`s in place....OR was removing the state league this season part of that plan...now I`m confused. So who is responsible for all this after so many years of existence and little or no growth or development?

legrove
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by legrove »

The criticism of Wendy Carter is unfair, when she has to abide by the wishes of the CEO that gives her direction for the womens game. Wendy is still as passionate as ever for the development of women’s football, but gets minimal support unless it has significant impact on the bottom line.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

Not sure what the expectations are for "growth" and "fragility" that would satisfy some critics. What has happened between 2011 and 2020 is that the number of teams playing in FSA regulated womens and girls competitions has grown from around 90 to around 130. Thats almost 50% increase in involvement across juniors and seniors. Whatever the "plan" is, it seems to have made the depth of player stocks a lot more robust and sustainable.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

legrove wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:24 am The criticism of Wendy Carter is unfair, when she has to abide by the wishes of the CEO that gives her direction for the womens game. Wendy is still as passionate as ever for the development of women’s football, but gets minimal support unless it has significant impact on the bottom line.
Legrove, I am not going to dispute that Wendy Carter is passionate about soccer. What I am saying is the women's competition has not improved but has gone backwards. The same teams are still at the bottom of the ladder year after year with the exception of Salisbury inter buying their way into the finals. It does not seem that there is a forward plan other than changing the format every year. This is not about getting support from the CEO, this about vision into the future and continuing with that vision. I would like to know what difference has been made to improve the competition in the last 5 years? We desperately need someone with fresh ideas and forward thinking instead of going forward and backwards just to display changes are being made.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

C U Next Saturday wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:45 am Do you ever have anything positive to say SportsBirrd ?

Whinge , complain , moan

Pity your husband
CU next Saturday, Yes your right, I do not have anything positive to say about how our competition is running in SA because there is nothing positive to say other than the wonderful athletes playing the game.
You tell us what positive things have come out of the current women's competition from say 5 years ago.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

nathanburns15 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am I heard having the Grand Finals seperate was Ivan's idea
Yes i heard that too but I could not substantiate it.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:05 pm
C U Next Saturday wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:45 am Do you ever have anything positive to say SportsBirrd ?

Whinge , complain , moan

Pity your husband
CU next Saturday, Yes your right, I do not have anything positive to say about how our competition is running in SA because there is nothing positive to say other than the wonderful athletes playing the game.
You tell us what positive things have come out of the current women's competition from say 5 years ago.
The changing of it being the Premier League to align it into the NPL structure (which is 100x more professional than what the PL was)?
Have you forgotten that?

As for your issue with Coopers Stadium, do you have any idea on what it costs to hire it out? I can imagine it isn't cheap and probably upwards of $50k based on what AU get charged (which is widely known as the worst deal in the A-League).
Do you expect FSA to recoup even a quarter of that money for a standalone WNPL Grand Final?

Women's football is considerably better than it was 5 years ago. If you don't believe that, you're delirious.

You have a clear hated towards Wendy Carter, Ivan and Adelaide City. It clouds your judgement.

Tbh the fact that you're whinging about the GF in a year where we were lucky to even have a competition at all is ridiculous.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:07 pm
Interesting, considering I completely made it up.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

nathanburns15 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:44 pm
[/quote
Well Nathan, as if anyone would believe that story. Glad to see you replied. try again.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:14 pm
nathanburns15 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:44 pm
[/quote
Well Nathan, as if anyone would believe that story. Glad to see you replied. try again.
Sportsbird you talk that much cabernet that it's actually funny

Adi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Adi »

I think that criticism of where women`s football is in SA is fair and warranted. Wendy may be extremely passionate, I`m sure she is however, she has been at the top of women`s football tree for many years (approx. 20 years I believe) and its fair that her contribution to the growth or lack of is considered. I will acknowledge though, that the move to centralising the WNPL to Friday nights has been an excellent move for the game. Again though, where was this articulated in a short or long term pan for women`s football in SA. Or was this just another decision made in isolation. Unfortunately, I`ve been involved or observing women`s football in SA for about 40 years and in many ways, it has been treading water. When one considers the number of players that have progressed through development programs (SASI etc.), club administrators, sponsors, volunteers etc. etc. where the game is today needs to be questioned.

Yes, changing the Premier League to align it to the NPL structure was also a good move....wasn`t this a national directive from the FFA though...aligning all states to a NPL / WNPL structure for the FFA Cup?

I don`t think that we can any longer argue that $$$`s determines what happens with male / female sport. If the FSA can pay for the use of Coopers for the men`s finals, they can do it for the women as well. There is significant gov`t support for women`s programs and the strength of the move toward equality. To simply argue that it costs too much to play the women`s final there but its ok to spend it for the guys is now outdated.

I`m interested in your opinion that the women`s game is considerably better than it was 5 years ago. Ok, I`ll concede that is your opinion and I guess you enjoy the product today more than 5 years ago however, to claim that someone is delirious if they don`t agree with you is quite small minded. I then, am delirious as my opinion differs greatly from yours or is it only sportsbird who is delirious?

I don`t agree that we were lucky to have a competition at all. FSA has obligations to the teams, Gov`t, sponsors etc. etc. to manage and administer competitions. FSA worked closely with Gov`t and SA Health as did many other sporting organisations in the attempt to get their respective competitions up and going. FSA did an excellent job in working within the constraints of COVID regulations and with the support of all clubs, successfully delivered a WNPL competition. FSA did what one would expect of a professional organisation. No luck in there at all.

KRO, there has been significant growth in participation rates amongst girls which you rightly point out. The growth / development that I relate to is at WNPL level where we have 8 teams, 1 of which is a FSA development team and only a handle of teams being competitive with each other. Given how long women`s football has been played in SA, I think its fair to question why there are so few good players / so few numbers of quality teams and what plan exists for the future of women`s football in SA. I think its clear that there hasn`t been any plan in the past...what about the future? Is it good enough to sit on our hands and enjoy the fruits of todays popularity of the game for young girls or should FSA (Wendy and Co) be articulating the plan for the future to grow the game and engage many more people to stay in women`s football for lifetimes rather than a few years.

KRO
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by KRO »

The standard of u15/17 coaching is very uneven with most having a singular focus on the curriculum that aims for the lowest common skill denominator and with only a few coaches/ clubs aiming for aspirational development. Talented players get bored playing hoofball drop out of clubland or have their heads turned by NTC promises.

Too many mediocre squads in the Red divisions leading to few quality games across the season. This seasons "play once then split" format produced better quality because early results mattered and then the mid season pool split resulted in even competition. The better teams played better teams wifh improvement all round. Little point playing 20 games for 2 quality contests.

At u15/17 levels the players should be gearing for Reserve/Premier places. Unambitious coaching and too few quality contests make the jump harder than what it should be with the result that NTC is suddenly the only pathway.