AUFC - W season 2020-2021

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

AUFC - W season 2020-2021

Post by Riggles64 »

HI forumites

Given Covid-19 will season 2020-21 go ahead if so when is it likely to occur? Secondly, will the teams have to go into a hub and quarantine for a fortnight and then play a compressed season?

I've heard it will be a very late start. If that's the case then that will be great. Local players will have time to de-load and then get into a mini pre-season for the AUFC-W season. This may be a good season yet for AUFC.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: AUFC - W season 2020-2021

Post by In the way »

Admire your positive post , would be good to see more local players given the opportunity to compete at W league level.
The standard would be more even given all our best players are overseas, and it would unearth some new local talent.
It would need financial backing from FFA, especially for the Victorian teams who would all have to be based interstate for the whole time ( cant see covid 19 going away in hurry in that state )
Only way I can see it working have all the clubs based here ( nuetral ) and have similar timetable as our WNPL - two double headers at Parks , and play two fixtures a week ( Sundays and Wednesdays for example ) .
If the W league does not go ahead, would a competition between all the states WNPL champions, to see who are the WNPL champions of Australia be a better option ? Teams can only use players who have played certain amount of games for their for their club.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

Thanks In The Way

There are many options that could be considered as an alternative IF the W league doesn't go ahead. Once thing is certain we cannot leave a gap with no national women's comp albeit in a modified form.

The W League is a huge opportunity for any player to aspire to. To have that on your resume is a huge tick. I have never questioned the commitment from the wnpl and W league players and I take my hat off to the hard work they do all year round.

Let's sit back and watch what happens.

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Signed so far

Charlie Grant
Chelsie Dawber
Dylan Holmes
Emily Condon
Emily Hodgson
Georgia Campagnale
Isabel Hodgson
Laura Johns
Matilda McNamara
Sian McLaren

Wonder if we will see any new faces?

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Rightside wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:49 pm Signed so far

Charlie Grant
Chelsie Dawber
Dylan Holmes
Emily Condon
Emily Hodgson
Georgia Campagnale
Isabel Hodgson
Laura Johns
Matilda McNamara
Sian McLaren

Apparently no players from the WNPL Championship winning side of Metro United.
For a club that's one of the so called "Big 3" of City, West and themselves, Metro always seem to have little to no representation in the Adelaide United team.
Interested to see who, if any, they can convince from interstate, and if they're of any better quality than the local talent

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

united92 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:33 am

Charlie Grant
Chelsie Dawber
Dylan Holmes
Emily Condon
Emily Hodgson
Georgia Campagnale
Isabel Hodgson
Laura Johns
Matilda McNamara
Sian McLaren

Apparently no players from the WNPL Championship winning side of Metro United.
For a club that's one of the so called "Big 3" of City, West and themselves, Metro always seem to have little to no representation in the Adelaide United team.
Interested to see who, if any, they can convince from interstate, and if they're of any better quality than the local talent
I find it ludicrous that certain players are still being contracted when they had no impact during the 2020 WNPL season. There are 2-3 players that fit into that category and I cannot fathom why Adrian has selected these players or is it Ivan still in charge. C'mon Adrian, its time for you to step up and deliver your own style, strategies and tactics and stop being a puppet. The talk amongst players is that you are a very positive, outgoing and lovely person. However, this does not define you as a innovative coach. United 92, the reason why no players were and will not be selected from Metro is that Ivan had made comments in the past that he will not select Metro players due the team being lazy, unfit and slow, therefore will not fit into his AU squad. Make of that what you will.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Charlie Grant
Chelsie Dawber
Dylan Holmes
Emily Condon
Emily Hodgson
Georgia Campagnale
Isabel Hodgson
Laura Johns
Matilda McNamara
Sian McLaren

Metro always seem to have little to no representation in the Adelaide United team.
Well I'm a big fan of Chrissy Panagaris (if can get her fitness back from injury) & is still waiting to be given her opportunity.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

scar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 am

Charlie Grant
Chelsie Dawber
Dylan Holmes
Emily Condon
Emily Hodgson
Georgia Campagnale
Isabel Hodgson
Laura Johns
Matilda McNamara
Sian McLaren

Metro always seem to have little to no representation in the Adelaide United team.
Well I'm a big fan of Chrissy Panagaris (if can get her fitness back from injury) & is still waiting to be given her opportunity.
Yeah that's certainly the key one from Metro that comes to mind. Young, quick, fit (apart from her current injury), and is a deadly scorer. 45 goals in 45 games since the start of the 2018 season (and won the Golden Boot in 2018 at 19 years old).
It astounds me that she's never even got a look in.
Imagine Dawber, Holmes and Panagaris all in the same side competing at the national level....

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

I cannot fathom how Adrian has not recruited any new local blood yet. Does he think some of the current players signed will step up considering thesew players did not dominate in the WNPL 2020. Just wondering what has happened to last season fringe players such as Ellie Tonkin and Victoria Mansueto. Surely these two players should be recognised for their experience and development. It appears no NTC players will be offered contracts for this season which again is a failure from the Football SA Development program. However, I have heard that the most controversial decision by the coaching staff will be the signing of Maria Rojas 33yrs (2020 Player of the year)which will be a mistake. Not sure if she has been signed, but I cannot understand why Adrian would invest in player that carried issues from Adelaide Uni and Salisbury Inter. Players from those clubs were unhappy playing alongside Maria. Maria only looks on taking all 11 opposition players including the supporters to score goals. If this occurs in the W League, there will be some very unhappy strikers at Adelaide United. Lets not forget she only scored two goals at Canberra United in one game, mostly sat on the bench and was then delisted. Finally, Adrian your so lucky to have appointed Joe Mullen on board as he will sort both you and Ivan out. In conclusion it's about time Adrian to release the remaining new signings.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

united92 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:41 pm
scar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:56 am

Charlie Grant
Chelsie Dawber
Dylan Holmes
Emily Condon
Emily Hodgson
Georgia Campagnale
Isabel Hodgson
Laura Johns
Matilda McNamara
Sian McLaren

Yeah that's certainly the key one from Metro that comes to mind. Young, quick, fit (apart from her current injury), and is a deadly scorer. 45 goals in 45 games since the start of the 2018 season (and won the Golden Boot in 2018 at 19 years old).
It astounds me that she's never even got a look in.
Imagine Dawber, Holmes and Panagaris all in the same side competing at the national level....
United 92, I agree with your statement. Do you know if Chrissy Panagaris has recovered from her injury? My recollection she was on the Adelaide United train on squad in the past. Does anyone know why she is not looked at?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Melbourne City signs our great South Australian Matilda player Jenna McCormick. Again, one of our great players refuses to return to Adelaide United. Even with a new head coach, Jenna has decided against returning to AU. Also Michele Heyman has come out out from retirement and signed with Canberra United. This is another player that refuses to return to AU and the reason for this is while Ivan is still part of the women's program, great players such as Michelle Heyman will not play for AU. It's still gets back to the boys club. The coaching staff have not the qualifications or communicating skills to coach women players. I will re-iterate that I do not encourage women only coaches, I would like to see the best head coach whether female or male that has the ability to develop the players to be the best they can be without treating them with disrespect.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am Melbourne City signs our great South Australian Matilda player Jenna McCormick. Again, one of our great players refuses to return to Adelaide United. Even with a new head coach, Jenna has decided against returning to AU. Also Michele Heyman has come out out from retirement and signed with Canberra United. This is another player that refuses to return to AU and the reason for this is while Ivan is still part of the women's program, great players such as Michelle Heyman will not play for AU. It's still gets back to the boys club. The coaching staff have not the qualifications or communicating skills to coach women players. I will re-iterate that I do not encourage women only coaches, I would like to see the best head coach whether female or male that has the ability to develop the players to be the best they can be without treating them with disrespect.
oh dear... :oops:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

sportsbird wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:13 am Melbourne City signs our great South Australian Matilda player Jenna McCormick. Again, one of our great players refuses to return to Adelaide United. Even with a new head coach, Jenna has decided against returning to AU. Also Michele Heyman has come out out from retirement and signed with Canberra United. This is another player that refuses to return to AU and the reason for this is while Ivan is still part of the women's program, great players such as Michelle Heyman will not play for AU. It's still gets back to the boys club. The coaching staff have not the qualifications or communicating skills to coach women players. I will re-iterate that I do not encourage women only coaches, I would like to see the best head coach whether female or male that has the ability to develop the players to be the best they can be without treating them with disrespect.
Clearly you have axe to grind with AUFC coaching staff and clearly you make things up in your muddled up head that are simply not true.
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Raich Carter wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:50 pm
Clearly you have axe to grind with AUFC coaching staff and clearly you make things up in your muddled up head that are simply not true.
Clearly I do not have a grind, It's clearly the incompetence of the Adelaide United Boys club that have no intererst in the development of our athletes in South Australia.
Firstly, We do not have the right coaches for women athletes.
Secondly, Adelaide United do not put the money in for female soccer.
Thirdly, Adelaide United do not promote the women's club like the other sport.
Fourthly, They are inexperience in looking after potential or incoming players to the club. For example; one particular player who is a great player was given an opportunity to be part of the team in 2020, played 5 mins in one game and this year was told no longer required. Where is the development of these potential athletes. Young players are promised to be future player then spat out as quick as they come in. Other sports don't do that. They develop and nurture these young athletes for several years and make them ready for W League standards.
Finally, the NTC is the not the right pathway for the W League, this is a development program therefore Adelaide United should have an academy side which play in the WNPL so the players feel they are part of a club and culture.
In response to your comment about having a grind, why don't you actually speak with these players mentioned now and in the past and you will be amazed why they don't want to come back to AU. So if you feel that this is still a grind then that's your prerogative. All I want is Adelaide United in South Australia to be the club of choice and see young athletes give a fair opportunity as well as the senior players in the WNPL to be given an opportunity based on their performance. Take that as you will.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

sportsbird wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:52 pm
Clearly
Edited for you
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Michael wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:27 pm
Clearly
Edited for you
Michael
So you are currently happy with the past and present of Adelaide
United not having to secure a finals position for years?

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

sportsbird wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:23 pm
Michael wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:27 pm
Clearly
Edited for you
Michael
So you are currently happy with the past and present of Adelaide
United not having to secure a finals position for years?
I cant comment as I dont have a vested interest in the team tbh.
However, I was responding to your feeble to tarnish AU regarding Jenna not wishing to play there.
Its Jenna's right to make her call on where its best for her development and good on her for that.

Your bitternes and nefarious attempts to tarnish AU at every chance is getting beyond boring, actually its rather pathetic.

Riggles64
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Riggles64 »

The best comment by far here on this topic is...An AUFC-W academy side playing in the WNPL. Brilliant. Should be a done deal.

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Riggles64 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:00 pm The best comment by far here on this topic is...An AUFC-W academy side playing in the WNPL. Brilliant. Should be a done deal.
Would make sense. Exactly the same way the men's side to it.
But look how long that took to happen for the men. I wouldn't have thought it'd happen any time soon.
But I agree, AU side in the WNPL to replace the NTC side seems logical

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

It only makes sense if the W-league is a longer season where teams play each other 3 times preferably, or a minimum of twice. The winter 'off season' is then exactly that, a break for the core of the team and senior players to properly recover and then prepare with a proper pre season.
The way the men do it, very few of the first team or certainly the starting 11 go back to play NPL, so what would that look like in the women's game? Laura Johns or Dylan Holmes not playing WNPL? If W-league is only 10 rounds, where do they spend the rest of the year?

scipio africanus
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scipio africanus »

Any word or publication on when the Lady Reds squad will be announced? The season starts shortly right?

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

scipio africanus wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:12 am Any word or publication on when the Lady Reds squad will be announced? The season starts shortly right?
The majority of players have been announced. Of course, you could also attend the open training session tomorrow.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Marden ?

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Welcome back Mallory Weber, great to see her back.
I believe Meleri Mullen and Maria Jose Rojas have also been signed for Adelaide United.

themagnet
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by themagnet »

A few more signings announced today:

Inana Toovey
Abbey Burns
Lara Kirkby
Fiona Worts

Plus Ella Tonkin a couple of days ago.

SwandelPark
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SwandelPark »

Best of luck to the ladies tonight!

Regardless of who we didn't sign or who didn't want to sign we really need to pull a finger out and make finals this year.

ldcplayer
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by ldcplayer »

from 2-0 at ht to 3-4 full time

Against probably one of the weakest team in W League this year.

Long season this gonna be for the reds ...

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Post by sportsbird » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:43 am

The coaching staff have not the qualifications or communicating skills to coach women players.
just wondering at what point of this season will 'sourbird' eat humble pie? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

just wondering at what point of this season will 'sourbird' eat humble pie? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

united92
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by united92 »

Clearly I do not have a grind, It's clearly the incompetence of the Adelaide United Boys club that have no intererst in the development of our athletes in South Australia.
Firstly, We do not have the right coaches for women athletes.
Secondly, Adelaide United do not put the money in for female soccer.
Thirdly, Adelaide United do not promote the women's club like the other sport.
Fourthly, They are inexperience in looking after potential or incoming players to the club. For example; one particular player who is a great player was given an opportunity to be part of the team in 2020, played 5 mins in one game and this year was told no longer required. Where is the development of these potential athletes. Young players are promised to be future player then spat out as quick as they come in. Other sports don't do that. They develop and nurture these young athletes for several years and make them ready for W League standards.
Finally, the NTC is the not the right pathway for the W League, this is a development program therefore Adelaide United should have an academy side which play in the WNPL so the players feel they are part of a club and culture.
In response to your comment about having a grind, why don't you actually speak with these players mentioned now and in the past and you will be amazed why they don't want to come back to AU. So if you feel that this is still a grind then that's your prerogative. All I want is Adelaide United in South Australia to be the club of choice and see young athletes give a fair opportunity as well as the senior players in the WNPL to be given an opportunity based on their performance. Take that as you will.
Still waiting for the humble pie to be eaten in front of everyone