Adel Utd Coach to be Offered Further Contract Extension

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Adel Utd Coach to be Offered Further Contract Extension

Post by paul merson »

billy the kid wrote:Hey Sportsbird. Excellent post and you raise a lot of things I've always supported and suggested needs doing. Again as I said in a another post, A League is a very poor and soulless competition> Standard is appalling and sadly W league teams will get Zero by way of support.

Look at the local WNPL/NPL set ups. The men's competition is supported mainly by the fees paid by the juniors and women. The overpaid players who play in the NPL and maybe State Leagues are getting paid overs. The clubs refuse in part to pay the women. even a pittance citing that "we can't support payment. The game doesn't generate enough income to pay the women!". My question, do the gate and bar takings on the day pay the payer payments for that day? The answer is a resounding NO.

We can bang on here but things will only change when the men's comp is sound. It isn't and sadly comments that the W league is a novelty will do little and is disrespectful to a group of players far more dedicated to the game than their male counterparts.

sportsbird wrote:
JayCody wrote:AUFC Women's team is nothing but a novelty to keep female football fans in this state happy. The sooner people realise and accept it the better.

Jaycody, I think you are well off the mark and I agree with juniorsupporter, we cannot accept that.
What we need is more money injected into the women's club, full time quality coaching staff, current and potential players training together once at least once a week, significant improvement in junior development within the local clubs by introducing some sort of incentive by the FSA by rewarding clubs who are pro-active in quality training for Juniors.
I firmly believe an independent review should be conducted on the state of affairs of women's soccer and to make recommendation to improve the quality of players and clubs in SA.
I will start with two important issue that needs to be addressed immediately, the high coaching fees for gaining the A, B, C licence. Its just ludicrous the cost of these training. We need more coaches who will gain the knowledge & experience to pass onto our players but are unable to attend theses courses because it is way too expensive.
The other is male clubs sponging on women's soccer fees, sponsorship etc and then investing that money into their senior men's department. Needs to be fair on distributing the funds equally.

Please name the clubs using womens fees to pay senior mens players instead of blanketing all clubs as I can assure you this does not happen at either of the clubs I am involved with, especially being both Metro mens and womens clubs are run independently.

The irony of this is...
What we need is more money injected into the women's club

Listen I agree there needs to be more funding for the womens game to keep moving forward & im not a mens v womens football person but please dont slander my club with bullsh t.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Pretty naïve for you to ask me for names of clubs who do. I think you would be far better asking who doesn’t. Given my experience represents a small sample size, junior and women’s fees have bolstered the men’s game fees. Ask yourself, up until recent times, how many players in the WNPL were getting any payment at all. They pay club fees. And nothing much else other than their kits and access to training. Again a very naïve question. I think you know the answer. Even if it’s ONE club. My question to you is that given the payroll per game and hiring cost for a venue, do you think the gate takings are sponsorships are adequate without being topped up?

QuodUnusQuiPulsat
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by QuodUnusQuiPulsat »

Bomber wrote::lol:

This thread is getting quite hilarious on so many fronts.

Keep it up

I will Bomber, getting plenty bites on here

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

billy the kid wrote:Pretty naïve for you to ask me for names of clubs who do. I think you would be far better asking who doesn’t. Given my experience represents a small sample size, junior and women’s fees have bolstered the men’s game fees. Ask yourself, up until recent times, how many players in the WNPL were getting any payment at all. They pay club fees. And nothing much else other than their kits and access to training. Again a very naïve question. I think you know the answer. Even if it’s ONE club. My question to you is that given the payroll per game and hiring cost for a venue, do you think the gate takings are sponsorships are adequate without being topped up?

So are you saying the clubs I’m involved in pay their men’s senior team with women’s fees?
If you can’t/won’t name them don’t throw a blanket accusation out there smearing all clubs.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

paul merson wrote:
billy the kid wrote:Pretty naïve for you to ask me for names of clubs who do. I think you would be far better asking who doesn’t. Given my experience represents a small sample size, junior and women’s fees have bolstered the men’s game fees. Ask yourself, up until recent times, how many players in the WNPL were getting any payment at all. They pay club fees. And nothing much else other than their kits and access to training. Again a very naïve question. I think you know the answer. Even if it’s ONE club. My question to you is that given the payroll per game and hiring cost for a venue, do you think the gate takings are sponsorships are adequate without being topped up?

So are you saying the clubs I’m involved in pay their men’s senior team with women’s fees?
If you can’t/won’t name them don’t throw a blanket accusation out there smearing all clubs.

I wonder what these female only clubs do with all this extra money they have from not having to paying the men?

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Wow, you're jizzing all over your own argument now.

Metro don't.
NTC don't.
Adelaide Uni don't.
West Adelaide don't.
Inter pay some players so much I don't see how they could.
Comets pay some players so much I don't see how they could.
That leaves two clubs - City and Fulham - that also pay player so I don't see where money is getting funnelled into the mens game from the womens.

No-one pays to use VALO, so not sure what hiring cost you can even be dreaming about.

"Kits and access to training"...ludicrous. I've never seen so many players kitted up in extra apparel at each club in my life. Also, each club has arguably better qualified coaches than in the past, so there's another source of income spend. And I have no doubt that most of the WNPL clubs financially assist their coaches to attend C, B and A Licenses.

Anyway, wasn't this originally about Adelaide United W-League??? :lol:

Rightside
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Rightside »

Marinos wrote:

Metro don't.
NTC don't.
Adelaide Uni don't. - have in the past, not sure about current squad
West Adelaide don't. - yes they do
That leaves two clubs - City and Fulham - that also pay player so I don't see where money is getting funnelled into the mens game from the womens.

No-one pays to use VALO, so not sure what hiring cost you can even be dreaming about.

"Kits and access to training"...ludicrous. I've never seen so many players kitted up in extra apparel at each club in my life. Also, each club has arguably better qualified coaches than in the past, so there's another source of income spend. And I have no doubt that most of the WNPL clubs financially assist their coaches to attend C, B and A Licenses.

Rascal21
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Rascal21 »

I wonder what these female only clubs do with all this extra money they have from not having to paying the men?[/quote]

Just charge cheaper fees ;-)

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Thanks Marinos. You brought a smile. Jizz.

Point is that the local men's league have clubs that over pay their players. Good if you can get it. And its unsustainable through income derived from gate takings and sponsors. Where the money comes from is clear to see.

Marinos wrote:

Metro don't.
NTC don't.
Adelaide Uni don't.
West Adelaide don't.

Marinos
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Marinos »

Rightside wrote:
Metro don't.
NTC don't.

I'm sorry, did you even bother to understand what I was writing about? I was responding to the claim that clubs filter female registration payments to pay for mens match payments.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

Rightside wrote:
Marinos wrote:

Metro don't.
NTC don't.

Are you sure re Uni.
Adelaide Uni haven't used junior fees to pay men, we don'y pay players to play as per our constitution.
Any player ever paid has had a coaching responsibility.

Our mens are SL2 and haven't been in federation comps for very long.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Iavn's comments in the Advertiser is simply a joke following these comments.

1. “For me, I’m committed to try and develop female football here in this state, but I need to know we’re all on the same page."
He only wants to be a part time coach and he hardly ever attends WNPL matches and he says he is committed.

2. "Karlovic says keeping the foundation of Adelaide together during the local Women’s National Premier League (WNPL) season instead of assembling a representative outfit from different WNPL clubs for a little more than four months of the year could be a solution."
He has a majority of players with 5 from Adelaide City and 3 from West Adelaide and still cant get it right. There are other W League clubs in the same boat and did not sit equal bottom of the table.
Ivan needs to stop making excuses and just look to coaching men's clubs. He can then use the overbearing, bellowing and scare tactics.

3. "“You’ve got other states that have academies and (W-League) teams that play in the WNPL competition, we don’t have those things,’’ Karlovic said."
How can Ivan request that when he only coaches part time. Really!!!!

4. "“We’ve had more positive feedback this season, calls and messages from national team coaches about our style of football, even though the results haven’t been there.”
Ivan are you serious, how can you say that when you finished equal bottom of the ladder and you had players playing in all different positions that failed. There was no consistency.

Lets be honest, majority of the players have no respect for him and they would be extremely happy if he moved on. If he cant see that then he is either ignorant or selfish.

ADELAIDE UNITED MUST NOT RE-APPOINT IVAN IF THE CLUB IS TO GO FORWARD. COULD NOT BEAR ANOTHER SEASON LIKE THIS.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Interesting post Sportsbird.

The issue may in part be attributable to Ivan however, the buck stops with AUFC. What are they prepared to provide in the way of financial and other support. In this regard I can answer this without being privy to AUFC. “No extra funding”. FSA will need to top up the shortfall. “no further support”. How do I know this? Have a look at the last couple of years. There were no double headers (I may be wrong). The W League team are like they’ve been in a lepper colony. Minimal if any united front A and W league players. Have a look at what the AF: W are doing. The support from the AFL and clubs is amazing. Media is joint. The AFL W players are always involved in women and men discussions and media. They commentate on men’s games. We see nothing like that here and possibly across Australia. The lack of commitment and comment beyond Ivan is deafening. Put another coach in. Same outcome. Same blame game happens. It’s at the top Sportsbird. Ivan should not be hung out to dry.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

BTK- I agree. United needs to step up.

Sportsbird- you have made two assertions repeatedly that are false, and I take issue with:

1- that Ivan never attends WNPL matches. I know this to be not true. I’ve seen him out there many times over the last few years. And with all the matches taped now, how do you know what he does or doesn’t watch?

2- that the majority of the girls don’t like him. I know this is false as well. There may be one or two, like at any club or team. But the majority are happy to have him stay on.

We all get that you don’t like Ivan, but please stop making cabernet up.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

juniorsupporter wrote:BTK- I agree. United needs to step up.

Sportsbird- you have made two assertions repeatedly that are false, and I take issue with:

1- that Ivan never attends WNPL matches. I know this to be not true. I’ve seen him out there many times over the last few years. And with all the matches taped now, how do you know what he does or doesn’t watch?

2- that the majority of the girls don’t like him. I know this is false as well. There may be one or two, like at any club or team. But the majority are happy to have him stay on.

We all get that you don’t like Ivan, but please stop making cabernet up.

Hear hear

Matthew
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by Matthew »

Ivan reappointed for 2 years.

sportsbird and BTK to spend another 2 years wringing. Won’t be good for their health.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

Matthew wrote:Ivan reappointed for 2 years.

sportsbird and BTK to spend another 2 years wringing. Won’t be good for their health.

2 x $55 season tickets short too. Hope that wont break the bank
Ignore this signature

Adi
Boot Polisher
Boot Polisher

Post by Adi »

Where has Ivan`s re-appointment been announced?

Hunter
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by Hunter »

Searching back through the posts this forum, it seems that Sportsbird does not like many (if any) of the previous Adelaide United coaches either. My recollection is that both Paul Pezos and Ross Aloisi came in for some similar criticism....not sure about Dave Edmondson or Mike Barnett but I guess we could look back and see.....

I don't think Ivan should get too concerned

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

Adi wrote:

Looking at the Adelaide United website and IK post match report he is already talking about next season even though his appointment has not been officially announced. It is as though he has got the job for as long as he wants it
Reading between the lines AUFC do not seem too bothered about W League that is the first problem, secondly they need to appoint a coach who regularly attends WNPL matches, and he or she starts to put together a provisional squad much earlier than past seasons.

BeNatural
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by BeNatural »

In the way wrote:
Adi wrote:

Looking at the Adelaide United website and IK post match report he is already talking about next season even though his appointment has not been officially announced. It is as though he has got the job for as long as he wants it
Reading between the lines AUFC do not seem too bothered about W League that is the first problem, secondly they need to appoint a coach who regularly attends WNPL matches, and he or she starts to put together a provisional squad much earlier than past seasons.

I went to about 4 friday nigth double headers last season in the WNPL, and he was there.

So i would say he probably went to more matches on Friday nights too.

Doesnt need to be there every week.

Adelaide United's mens coaches barely go out to any NPL matches.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

Ivan was at most of the WNPL games I attended last year. As previously mentioned in here, all the games were available to download for coaches so it does it really matter?

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

nathanburns15 wrote:Ivan was at most of the WNPL games I attended last year. As previously mentioned in here, all the games were available to download for coaches so it does it really matter?

I stand corrected I was not aware - was the WNPL player of the year invited to train with the squad ?
There would be two or three players who play consistently well for their club would not be out of place trying out for W league.

gee_kay
Star Player
Star Player

Post by gee_kay »

nathanburns15 wrote:We definitely overachieved last season but this year is a case of back to reality. The visa players definitely made a difference last season whereas this year many failed to live up to expectations.

Maybe it's team to look at an AUFC WNPL side so Ivan can work with the players year round?

Good idea let's dilute an already poor competition
Follow me on Twitter @gee_kay10

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

In the way wrote:
Adi wrote:

bravo, well done Ivan!
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Story has it that during a training session prior to the last W League game it involved the head coach who had stopped the training suddenly and tore shreds towards the goal keeper in front of all the players during a training game and allegedly stated something like she was crap and that she has been average all season. The goalkeeper had become distraught after the altercation and became emotional. This story came from another player who expressed her anger and frustration by the treatment towards the goalkeeper. Comments like this from the Head coach towards the best goalkeeper in SA is appalling and uncalled for. She has been an outstanding goalkeeper for AU all year and if it were not for her, we would be coming home with the wooden spoon and a lot more goal difference. That's why I have no time for him and hope he is not offered the coaching role again in women's sport. No idea how to communicate with female athletes. Yes I will get targeted again by my critics, that I have it in for him, but this has been happening last season and this season. It has to stop. The culture needs to change urgently. We are continually losing players to other clubs. If the head coach is re-appointed, we will have further player exodus and future players not wanting to come to Adelaide. Finally rumour has it that Amber will definitely not be returning next season as she has had enough with the poor state of the club and it's culture.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

sportsbird wrote:Story has it that during a training session prior to the last W League game it involved the head coach who had stopped the training suddenly and tore shreds towards the goal keeper in front of all the players during a training game and allegedly stated something like she was crap and that she has been average all season. The goalkeeper had become distraught after the altercation and became emotional. This story came from another player who expressed her anger and frustration by the treatment towards the goalkeeper. Comments like this from the Head coach towards the best goalkeeper in SA is appalling and uncalled for. She has been an outstanding goalkeeper for AU all year and if it were not for her, we would be coming home with the wooden spoon and a lot more goal difference. That's why I have no time for him and hope he is not offered the coaching role again in women's sport. No idea how to communicate with female athletes. Yes I will get targeted again by my critics, that I have it in for him, but this has been happening last season and this season. It has to stop. The culture needs to change urgently. We are continually losing players to other clubs. If the head coach is re-appointed, we will have further player exodus and future players not wanting to come to Adelaide. Finally rumour has it that Amber will definitely not be returning next season as she has had enough with the poor state of the club and it's culture.

Legitimate question...who is your source? At this point, your word means nothing.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

With the relationship I have with Sarah she would bring this sort of thing up with me, have to ask her at training.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sarah will be interstate next season (WNPL) and play for another W League team.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Sarah will be interstate next season (WNPL) and play for another W League team.