Head Coach Needs to Resign

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Head Coach Needs to Resign

Post by sportsbird »

Last night I walked away from Marden Sports Centre unable to fathom or comprehend the enormity of what just had occurred. The lady Reds were extremely disappointing and looked extremely flat.
They were unable to string passes together and had no-one up forward to finish off. Again, if it were not for Willacy it would have been 6 nil or more. Willacy has been outstanding this season.

How may times can I mention that Dawber is not a striker, she is an attacking midfielder. Striker is not her position, it is a position that can only be given to strikers who understand the role which can only be gained by playing in the position for years. Why did Ivan only recruit one striker, this has now now come back to haunt him. Just poor recruiting.

The midfield combination has been disappointing once again, but this is not totally the fault of the players. Condon has built her reputation through out her career as a winger in the WNPL and the W League in the past and also represented Australia on the wing and now is playing in the midfield. Araujo has been a real disappointment and should not be asked to return next season. Again poor judgement including poor recruitment.

Our defence continues to expose their weakness with poor defending especially in the 18 yard box. Ashley is another player that failed to meet the expectation & standards in the W League and she is another that should not be invited back next season.

McNamara was promoted to the side but failed to make the final team. What game is Ivan playing, McNamara may have been a player that could have improved the defence line. But no, Ivan decided against it. Why promote a player and leave them out, I'm confused?

Ivan continues to confuse and rotate players in different positions whether coming on or off the bench. There is no stability in the staring line up. I feel Ivan has lost the respect as well as control of his players including the battle of consistency within his players. Player are unhappy at the moment with the whole football structure.

The only three players that can keep the their head up high is Brooks, Weber and Willacy.

It's funny how several of my opposition forumites have not commented on this forum during the last three weeks. I deliberately not made any comments last week because I felt that Adelaide will not be able to meet the standards or compete against the middle of the table Melbourne Victory. As I suspected it came true.

I am not one to say well done ladies, you have been competitive throughout the season and you should have won certain games. This competition is about winning and winning only.

Winning creates atmosphere, sponsorship, increase in supporter base and media coverage etc. But this has failed.

In conclusion, Ivan needs to step down as Head coach and avoid the possibility of coaching the team to the bottom of the ladder. Ivan was hardly seen at WNPL matches.

Should Ivan not step down or be sacked, he should bring in new talent such as McNamara and any other train-on's currently training with the lady reds and give them a go. Ivan has nothing to lose now.

FSA should share the blame for our local athletes who are not ready for the W League due to the lack of proper development. I believe the FSA should being looking at young athletes from the age of 5-6 years and to develop them and not wait until they reach an age when its harder to improve their skills, style or behavior/Attitude towards being an elite athlete.

CHANGES MUST START NOW OR EXPECT THE SAME NEXT SEASON

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Re: Head Coach Needs to Resign

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:Last night I walked away from Marden Sports Centre unable to fathom or comprehend the enormity of what just had occurred. The lady Reds were extremely disappointing and looked extremely flat.
They were unable to string passes together and had no-one up forward to finish off. Again, if it were not for Willacy it would have been 6 nil or more. Willacy has been outstanding this season.

How may times can I mention that Dawber is not a striker, she is an attacking midfielder. Striker is not her position, it is a position that can only be given to strikers who understand the role which can only be gained by playing in the position for years. Why did Ivan only recruit one striker, this has now now come back to haunt him. Just poor recruiting.

The midfield combination has been disappointing once again, but this is not totally the fault of the players. Condon has built her reputation through out her career as a winger in the WNPL and the W League in the past and also represented Australia on the wing and now is playing in the midfield. Araujo has been a real disappointment and should not be asked to return next season. Again poor judgement including poor recruitment.

Our defence continues to expose their weakness with poor defending especially in the 18 yard box. Ashley is another player that failed to meet the expectation & standards in the W League and she is another that should not be invited back next season.

McNamara was promoted to the side but failed to make the final team. What game is Ivan playing, McNamara may have been a player that could have improved the defence line. But no, Ivan decided against it. Why promote a player and leave them out, I'm confused?

Ivan continues to confuse and rotate players in different positions whether coming on or off the bench. There is no stability in the staring line up. I feel Ivan has lost the respect as well as control of his players including the battle of consistency within his players. Player are unhappy at the moment with the whole football structure.

The only three players that can keep the their head up high is Brooks, Weber and Willacy.

It's funny how several of my opposition forumites have not commented on this forum during the last three weeks. I deliberately not made any comments last week because I felt that Adelaide will not be able to meet the standards or compete against the middle of the table Melbourne Victory. As I suspected it came true.

I am not one to say well done ladies, you have been competitive throughout the season and you should have won certain games. This competition is about winning and winning only.

Winning creates atmosphere, sponsorship, increase in supporter base and media coverage etc. But this has failed.

In conclusion, Ivan needs to step down as Head coach and avoid the possibility of coaching the team to the bottom of the ladder. Ivan was hardly seen at WNPL matches.

Should Ivan not step down or be sacked, he should bring in new talent such as McNamara and any other train-on's currently training with the lady reds and give them a go. Ivan has nothing to lose now.

FSA should share the blame for our local athletes who are not ready for the W League due to the lack of proper development. I believe the FSA should being looking at young athletes from the age of 5-6 years and to develop them and not wait until they reach an age when its harder to improve their skills, style or behavior/Attitude towards being an elite athlete.

CHANGES MUST START NOW OR EXPECT THE SAME NEXT SEASON
I cant argue with you Sportsbird as I haven't watched the last couple of games due to my own training starting.
I ask and this isnt taking the p!ss because I dont actually know, but how many players in the WNPL here are up to playing in the W League or are AU's hopes relied heavily on bringing in foreign players?

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Abysmal state at the moment and something ALL of us aren’t proud of. Bottom of the ladder. Ineffectual attack and defence. Players out of position. No end in sight to the misery. Media coverage is non-existent. AUFC as a collective is distancing itself from the women.

I haven’t been to one game this season and I don’t think I will. Reading the article this morning I read between the lines and it appears that Ivan is hamstrung with regards to the finances available. Yes that’s one big problem. Player selection is another however, the main problem is ensuring that the o/s or interstate starts we get ought to complement our local brigade. This is where the issues are for us and what needs to be addressed if we are to be competitive.

The question in this topic is about whether we have the talent good enough to step up (or words to the effect) to W league level. I believe we do have the talent however, we need a revamp of the WNPL and W League structure to enable the players in the Squad to have the level of conditioning and a proper pre-season to be in readiness.

This season our local talent, bar Willacy have failed to deliver a blow. Sadly some local players whom are getting minimal time on the pitch will be playing their finals games for the team. Tope end talent whom have come to SA have left and sadly we cannot attract anyone of note. Is it our reputation or $$$$$$$. I think the latter.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by scar »

Agree, time has come for Ivan to step down & preferably the sooner the better (not at season’s end as is likely to be the case)
With 4 matches still remaining it is time for a new person to take the helm with a fresh approach & with hopefully a view to taking this team on next season.
Ivan has continued to baffle all with his team selections, player positioning in starting line-ups & substitutions.
Btw when your team is being ‘battered on the park’ is it really a good idea to introduce a player that has had next to no game time this season (not surprisingly CF had subsequently no telling touches)?
Saturday night’s performance was pathetic & I was left seriously questioning the worth of my $15 entry also whether I should even bother fronting up to watch again this season.

Nikos Sampson
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by Nikos Sampson »

$15.... I wouldn't pay that much to watch the men play.
I hate ethnics like Cyril.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Cost aside, the product isn't good. A new coach will not deliver much better. AUFC itself is the stumbling block. Ivan would have more resources if he was the coach in a WNPL side. AUFC are appalling. We had arguably the best chance post 2016/17 season to get things right. A good opportunity to set up the AUFC-W framework to have the best opportunity to deliver. Media coverage was up. Crowd numbers up. A real buzz was around the place. This didn't occur. Coach departed. Players departed (local and overseas and interstate). Have not recovered since.

Ivan is not the issue. Albeit we probably think he needs to go for his own sake.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

another Ivan Bashing topic....
:roll:
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I don't think any coach will make a difference whilst the structure remains as is and the commitment by the club is token at best.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Michael,
Are you kidding me, another Ivan bashing topic. Ivan is in the spotlight and he is aware that this comes with the territory.
Unfortunately, Ivan's team is sitting at the bottom of the ladder and looking like remaining there at the end of the season.
I am not going to sit here and blame the players for their poor results because these players were selected by Ivan.
Ivan continues to make poor decisions not only during game days but his selections and players positions.
His management style has a lot to be desired, poor communicator, poor recruitment, poor tactically, poor player management, poor player development. Being around the lady reds circle, I have not heard one good report about him other than he is arrogant type of coach.
Currently, the players have lost respect and are not happy. If it were not for playing at an elite level, the players would have moved on.
All those forumites who think Ivan is not the problem should seriously look at themselves.
Ask the question why a lot of elite and champion players have not returned to Adelaide United, why, because it is not a pleasant place to be.
If the club does not act swiftly, the overseas and interstate elite players will not want to come to club in the future.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I can't argue Sportsbird as you have a good handle on coaching.

We were on the cusp of good times ahead in 2016/17 and since then its dropped off a cliff.

No coach (even Santrac) would make a difference when there is a ZERO care factor by AUFC. we can't even get double headers.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

sportsbird wrote:Michael,
Are you kidding me, another Ivan bashing topic. Ivan is in the spotlight and he is aware that this comes with the territory.
Unfortunately, Ivan's team is sitting at the bottom of the ladder and looking like remaining there at the end of the season.
I am not going to sit here and blame the players for their poor results because these players were selected by Ivan.
Ivan continues to make poor decisions not only during game days but his selections and players positions.
His management style has a lot to be desired, poor communicator, poor recruitment, poor tactically, poor player management, poor player development. Being around the lady reds circle, I have not heard one good report about him other than he is arrogant type of coach.
Currently, the players have lost respect and are not happy. If it were not for playing at an elite level, the players would have moved on.
All those forumites who think Ivan is not the problem should seriously look at themselves.
Ask the question why a lot of elite and champion players have not returned to Adelaide United, why, because it is not a pleasant place to be.
If the club does not act swiftly, the overseas and interstate elite players will not want to come to club in the future.
Always happy to 'have a look at myself' in fact as a coach I continually do.
Obviously I never post things that I think should be confidential, as I have a belief as a footballer & coach that nothing leaves the change room, so if somebody/players are discussing this I'd remove them if I were coach, players that dont put up the positive team front out side the group are destructive and something we never accepted as players when I was playing.
Your coaching review on Ivan is the opposite to that of highly accredited coaches with in the women's game, I always take your comments with a pinch of salt when it comes to IK as from the word go you have been after him as I have called out previously.
My personal opinion is yes Ivan needs to be accountable, as any coach does, but where I completely disagree with you is everybody needs to be accountable, players, administrators, coaches, everybody.
I have asked in the past, why do you (or anyone involved in local womens football) think AU 'deserve more' than any other W league side?
Do we spend more money?
Is our local comp stronger than other states?
Are we producing many W league standard players?

Perth's standard has been papered over by Sam Kerr in the past & now theyre being found out, same situation.
Whilst WNPL teams are training twice a week and being happy with the gulf of difference between WNPL & W League then AU will always just make up the numbers, if you want to build a world class building you have to start with a world class foundation, do we have that?

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

I think you'll find that 'Birdbrain' has attacked all previous coaches.....their gender is her agenda!!!!
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Mr Red
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Mr Red »

MegaBonus wrote:I think you'll find that 'Birdbrain' has attacked all previous coaches.....their gender is her agenda!!!!
So does that make here a gender bender :?: :)

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

Seriously peoples, most of us agree (in this or other topics) that SA isn’t up to scratch with regards to development of players. I won’t lay blame at the NTC or FSA. SASI was set up to provide an elite pathway and that failed miserably. It had the resources at its disposal however, as with most things, just because you have the keys to the Ferrari doesn’t mean you can drive it to its potential. Enough said about that system, it’s gone and NTC is here.

I always look at other sports and try and work out what they do that is good regarding development of players. In the case of the AFL (our national sport), I think their set up is something soccer could look at. Key thing here is that preparation for W League and beyond should start very young. Not 16 or 17 or 218. Too late.

I will watch with interest the NTC products that have got a shot at the Matildas (young or youth). I will predict that they will end up like the rest that have had a go. Quick rise. A couple of caps and then disappear back to SA and finish off in the WNPL. Look at the recent past and you will agree.

W league is the symptom but the cause is our supportive system.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

In the case of the AFL (our national sport), I think their set up is something soccer could look at.
do you want a riot on your hands????? the majority of players getting drafted attend private schools which have a school before club policy.....good luck with that....
“Hence, we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks." Winston Churchill

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Hmmm, you just sound bitter.

Unless you personally know what Ivan has to deal with, week in and week, your constant abuse towards him is getting rather boring to be honest.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

sportsbird
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by sportsbird »

Michael wrote:

Hmmm, you just sound bitter.

Unless you personally know what Ivan has to deal with, week in and week, your constant abuse towards him is getting rather boring to be honest.
Well Michael, what about the players that have to deal with the wrath from Ivan week in and week out.
Yes, I have targeted coaches in the past due to the way the players are managed and this goes back to the previous and current coaches who think they can treat female athletes the same way as the males.
Adelaide United must look to form an independent panel to locate an experienced coach (whether female or male) who has the experience & skills in managing female athletes.
Therefore, Adelaide United need to get their heads out of the sand and stop appointing coaches who are are part of the boys club.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Well Michael, what about the players that have to deal with the wrath from Ivan week in and week out.
What a load of cabernet.

This is starting to remind me of a 'If only you knew what we know' moment.

Good job on avoiding all the questions I asked.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

Yes PM. Not the Ivan I know at all. Sportsbird I call b**ls**t.

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by billy the kid »

I don't think S Bird has dropped a load on Ivan & Co and has provided his/her observations about the state of the team based on the results the least 2-3 seasons, the decision making of the coach pre-post-during the season re: players selections, player positions and tactics. I cannot argue. PM yes. You have asked some good questions and basically, the system in place at FSA/NTC level is inadequate to provide the players the platform to ascend to W League and National selection.

We can hypothesise about what should occur re: a sound structure from which to develop the players however, it’s worthwhile looking at the players in the national team and track their progress from junior to senior ranks. You may finds that a lot of their development has come from self/parent involvement outside the normal club/team environment. You may find that being a part of the boys set up until about 14-15 is also something you may find is a common theme.

I know the NTC/WNPL/AUFC/W League mouth piece JuniorSupporter will dispute this and offer nothing by way of an opinion on what is occurring and what should occur. I will be interested however, to her their views.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

billy the kid wrote:I don't think S Bird has dropped a load on Ivan & Co and has provided his/her observations about the state of the team based on the results the least 2-3 seasons, the decision making of the coach pre-post-during the season re: players selections, player positions and tactics. I cannot argue. PM yes. You have asked some good questions and basically, the system in place at FSA/NTC level is inadequate to provide the players the platform to ascend to W League and National selection.

We can hypothesise about what should occur re: a sound structure from which to develop the players however, it’s worthwhile looking at the players in the national team and track their progress from junior to senior ranks. You may finds that a lot of their development has come from self/parent involvement outside the normal club/team environment. You may find that being a part of the boys set up until about 14-15 is also something you may find is a common theme.

I know the NTC/WNPL/AUFC/W League mouth piece JuniorSupporter will dispute this and offer nothing by way of an opinion on what is occurring and what should occur. I will be interested however, to her their views.
Sportsbird has been after Ivan for a long time, and clearly its personal, the comment re 'having to face his wrath' is a personal dig at him in which is rubbish, and yes I have a history of hearing IK address teams & reflect on loses and Id never use the word wrath, we lost a GF after finishing top by miles & he went straight into regroup mode that lead us to win the NPL, so my opinion is based on my actual experience not hearsay.

The recruiting aspect, I know IK has to run a tight budget, now as were agreeing that the gap between Wnpl & W League is too big, the foundation of the squad isnt at W League standard, so the recruits that would be needed to bolster the squad to get towards the top end of the ladder are going to cost, see the problem.

So regardless of coach, AU either needs more investment or an improved foundation.

MegaBonus
Team Manager
Team Manager

Post by MegaBonus »

Yes, I have targeted coaches in the past due to the way the players are managed and this goes back to the previous and current coaches who think they can treat female athletes the same way as the males.
oh my...... :oops: :oops: :oops: you just set the feminist and the 'me too' movement back 50 years.....so what is it? equality or not???

revolvingdoor
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by revolvingdoor »

paul merson wrote:
So regardless of coach, AU either needs more investment or an improved foundation.
Or perhaps a coach who has proven success coaching elite female soccer players might be a start.

revolvingdoor
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by revolvingdoor »

MegaBonus wrote:
oh my...... :oops: :oops: :oops: you just set the feminist and the 'me too' movement back 50 years.....so what is it? equality or not???
Would you coach children the same way you coach adults?

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

revolvingdoor wrote:
MegaBonus wrote:
Would you coach children the same way you coach adults?
Yes.
I work with female, male and young goal keepers and treat them all the same, they're all goal keepers at the end of the day, they're just at different points of their learning journey.

Stop thinking its a different sport, football is football.

nathanburns15
Bench Warmer
Bench Warmer

Post by nathanburns15 »

revolvingdoor wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Or perhaps a coach who has proven success coaching elite female soccer players might be a start.
Who is a realistic option that you would suggest?

revolvingdoor
Ball Boy
Ball Boy

Post by revolvingdoor »

nathanburns15 wrote:
revolvingdoor wrote:
paul merson wrote:
Who is a realistic option that you would suggest?
Adrian Santrac, Tracey Jenkins, Michael Matricciani (although admittedly he has only coached NTC).

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Mattrish has less experience coaching females than Ivan.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

paul merson wrote:Mattrish has less experience coaching females than Ivan.

Ivan for me is a strong communicator and outstanding coach.

Not every decision made will work and that's part of a personal journey all coaches go through.
I've no doubt this year will lead to changes in his approach.

He's also not the first coach to be let down by a players performance or squad selections.
Several players in the squad have done themselves real harm and may even ensure their days in the WL are over.
Players are as good as their performances, no different to coaches.

As for Ivan's wrath, first rule of coaching is you will not please everyone.

He will be held accountable, but the debate about our development will go on and on.
The FSA believe they are on the correct path.
WNPL teams are improving how they go about it at all ages year on year.
Sadly inn my experience junior girls development, is starting from a far lower point then junior boys.

We should always self assess and aim for improvement.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

billy the kid wrote:I don't think S Bird has dropped a load on Ivan & Co and has provided his/her observations about the state of the team based on the results the least 2-3 seasons, the decision making of the coach pre-post-during the season re: players selections, player positions and tactics. I cannot argue. PM yes. You have asked some good questions and basically, the system in place at FSA/NTC level is inadequate to provide the players the platform to ascend to W League and National selection.

Mouthpiece? Ouch! So wounded. Sorry I’m not willing that bare my soul on a public forum, especially when I’m not in a position to do so. When I encounter posts filled with bad ‘facts’ though, I’ll call them out. So glad though, BTK, that you’re so curious. Xx