AUFC-W v Melbourne City

This forum is for the discussion of women's football, the fastest growing participation sport in Australia. This includes local women's football and the A-League Women.

Moderators: BillShankly, John Cena, Forum Admins

billy the kid
Squad Player
Squad Player

AUFC-W v Melbourne City

Post by billy the kid »

Good luck girls. Bring home a win.

Any changes to this team so that we can get a much needed win? Close enough isn't good enough. Wins are needed NOW if we are to make the finals.

scar
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Re: AUFC-W v Melbourne City

Post by scar »

billy the kid wrote:Any changes to this team so that we can get a much needed win?
Unfortunately too many young inexperienced girls have been elevated into the starting line-up & although they have performed just ok, I now fear a loss vs Brisb (next game) will see AU disappointingly out of finals contention.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Honourable LOSS

And the coach, as I read it, has no great concerns? And they're having a pre-christmas get together.....................Great idea. Good to keep spirits high

I saw the squad list, who didn't return and it is/was my concern that AUFC-W are probably gong to have a challenging year ahead. The bench is thin but I think we have the personnel to finish top 4.

2019/2020 is over. Where's Sportsbird?
Last edited by SAD GAL on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

SAD GAL wrote:HORRIBLE RESULT.

And the coach, as I read it, has no great concerns? And they're having a pre-christmas get together.....................whilst the Titanic has SUNK.

I saw the squad list, who didn't return and it is/was my concern that AUFC-W are on the nose. The bench is thin. Georgia is now a regualr bench starter (2018/19 was no different). This is a concern. Was it time to give her a season off? Maybe. How is Dylan going?

1-0 away to Melbourne City is a 'HORRIBLE RESULT'?
Hey Ive never been a fan of losing but surely you didn't have this game penciled in as a definite 3 points?
Is your opinion based on watching the actual game?

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by juniorsupporter »

I agree with PM. They’ve just had three narrow losses to the top three teams in the competition. If you watched the games, you would have noticed that the girls were in it and pushing until the final whistle each time. Moreover, Melbourne City have 7 Matilda’s in their starting lineup with something like 380 caps between them. I think the girls did well. And they still have the belief they need going forward.

Ben Rath
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Ben Rath »

And the coach, as I read it, has no great concerns? And they're having a pre-christmas get together.....................whilst the Titanic has SUNK.

I saw the squad list, who didn't return and it is/was my concern that AUFC-W are on the nose. The bench is thin. Georgia is now a regualr bench starter (2018/19 was no different). This is a concern. Was it time to give her a season off? Maybe. How is Dylan going?

Cancelling Christmas would undoubtedly seem the logical thing to do.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

:lol: :lol: :lol:

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

we have played the top 3 sides who have not lost a match yet, all 3 games we had enough chances we lack the finishing, our one and only goal has come from a penalty
A win against Brisbane is a must wont be easy, if Brisbane took their chances last week they couldve been 2 nil up first 8 minutes .
Their defence is slow, and ours keeps getting caught ball watching, I feel this will be a high scoring game.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

All is good. We will make the finals.

Let's do it AUFC-W

scar wrote:
billy the kid wrote:Any changes to this team so that we can get a much needed win?
Unfortunately too many young inexperienced girls have been elevated into the starting line-up & although they have performed just ok, I now fear a loss vs Brisb (next game) will see AU disappointingly out of finals contention.
Last edited by SAD GAL on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote:Spot on scar. Some also hanging in there and whilst not their fault for being selected, it comes down to $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and hence AUFC-W won't spend the money to attract the [layers we need from interstate to supplement our squad.

AUFC-W is no longer a destination club for visa players. We've had some excellent visa players come for a year or two and then depart for the east.

Have I watched the games? Not really. How do I form my views? It's like watching a script slowly unfold. Same story different year. Willacy (as you WILL ALL AGREE) in goals saved AUFC-W many losses. No Willcy nd the results would have been worse.

Only a couple of seasons stick in my mind where there was ennergy and exciting football with some excveptional talent. Another seasonb with no finals.

The "feel good briade" might present another attack on my assessment however, I do not have a vested interest in the game. Unlike the feel good brigade I have no friend or daughter or sister in the team.

scar wrote:

So you've made assumptions, shouted "horrible result" without actually basing it on anything. Credibility = ZERO!!!
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

WSW was a narrow loss that finishing cost us, had a 1 v 1.
SYD we had the best chance and had we finished better was a sure win again a 1 v 1.
MCity we were second best against a quality side.

I don't see doom and gloom.
As a coach we work to create chances and keep the opposition out.
So on review, chances created, but poor finishing, while not conceding many.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Hmmmm. Yep. It's doom and gloom.

But there's always a rainbow....It's always darkest before dawn And we will make the finals.
Last edited by SAD GAL on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BAGGIO 15
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by BAGGIO 15 »

SAD GAL wrote:Hmmmm. Yep. It's doom and gloom.

Yep. It's poor finishing.

Yep. Almost chances.

The stats will show the W-L-D and if I were an investor or CEO with AUFC-W, the return on what I've put into the women's programme is 0. Better results = better exposure and validation of the programme = better funding = ability to attract better players.

For me, we need to look closer at the local talent pool and during the year, like the NTC programme funnel the potential squad members into an elite programme of development.
No almost chances, bets chances, poor finishing

NTC is not for everyone, many develop in club land.
Football is simply not one size fits all or development would be easy

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Sad Gal- I’m not sure you can call yourself a supporter of women’s football, or a supporter of the W-League, if you haven’t watched any games. Moreover, offering an opinion about a team that you haven’t seen play is poor form.

Those of us who are positive have seen them play. It’s not just because we might be close to the team. Those who know me, know that I am fairly even in my assessments. Unfortunately they don’t play at home until the 22nd. But watch a game on line. You’ll see why we, and the players, are optimistic.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Blind faith or optimism? The women's game has had blind faith for too long. Faith in SASI, faith in NTC. Faith in a myriad of AUF-W iterations. The game and the players deserve better.

I am a supporter of the women's game and my posts are balanced and objective and is lacking "hope/close enough/near is good enough/they are trying" after 10 years this situation is unacceptable.

juniorsupporter wrote:Sad Gal- I’m not sure you can call yourself a supporter of women’s football, or a supporter of the W-League, if you haven’t watched any games. Moreover, offering an opinion about a team that you haven’t seen play is poor form.

Those of us who are positive have seen them play. It’s not just because we might be close to the team. Those who know me, know that I am fairly even in my assessments. Unfortunately they don’t play at home until the 22nd. But watch a game on line. You’ll see why we, and the players, are optimistic.

Raich Carter
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by Raich Carter »

SAD GAL wrote:Blind faith or optimism? The women's game has had blind faith for too long. Faith in SASI, faith in NTC. Faith in a myriad of AUF-W iterations. The game and the players deserve better.

I am a supporter of the women's game and my posts are balanced and objective and is lacking "hope/close enough/near is good enough/they are trying" after 10 years this situation is unacceptable.

juniorsupporter wrote:Sad Gal- I’m not sure you can call yourself a supporter of women’s football, or a supporter of the W-League, if you haven’t watched any games. Moreover, offering an opinion about a team that you haven’t seen play is poor form.

Very objective with a touch of balance!!
When I am king, you will be first against the wall
With your opinion which is of no consequence at all

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

Just when you thought Sportsbird had retired....
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Sportsbird…..Gone but not forgotten.

At least Sportsbird offered rational and proper discussion but I can see where some of its posts were reminiscent of mine (before I was re-educated).

AUFC-W are doing really well and we will win the remaining matches.
Last edited by SAD GAL on Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bomber
Vice Chairman
Vice Chairman

Post by Bomber »

SAD GAL wrote:Sportsbird…..Gone but not forgotten.

Interestingly however, over the years the same rebuttals (personal attack upon an opinion) have come from a select group of contributors who ALL seem to be happy with the performances of the AUFC-W and that near enough is good enough.

Is this an SA thing? Please offer something other than useless excuses. Last season….if not for the brilliance of Sarah in goals, we would have bene embarrassed beyond belief.

Another fact, quality players who come into our squad depart after one maybe 2 seasons. Interstate teams are their destination of choice.

At least Sportsbird offered rational and proper discussion.
:lol:

Don't get spitting poisoned darts confused with "rational and proper discussion"
Ignore this signature

paul merson
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by paul merson »

Interestingly however, over the years the same rebuttals (personal attack upon an opinion) have come from a select group of contributors who ALL seem to be happy with the performances of the AUFC-W and that near enough is good enough.

Is this an SA thing? Please offer something other than useless excuses. Last season….if not for the brilliance of Sarah in goals, we would have bene embarrassed beyond belief.

Another fact, quality players who come into our squad depart after one maybe 2 seasons. Interstate teams are their destination of choice.

Rational & proper discussion?
She dished up a 2 year personal attack on the coach, only once did she post a in depth actual comment on the squad in which whether anybody agreed or not it was at least worth the read and interaction.

You have cut down the team this week with out having even watched the game, surely the girls deserve more.
Which game do you feel of the 3 played this season should have been penciled in as a definite 3 points & why?
I get the feeling that there's a feeling of entitlement by many when it comes to where AU finish, last year they finished 1 place out of the finals, why do you think AU 'deserves' to be in finals anymore than any of the other teams?
Do you feel AU under achieves with local players as our WNPL is stronger than all the other states?
Are we spending more money than every other club?
I watched Perths game the other week when it was on ABC & now they have no Kerr they were terrible, at least AU are playing good football, something you are missing SADGAL being you dont watch the actual games.

You can have negative opinions about the team, Coaching staff & club but at least back it up with something, contribute to them moving forward not just taking pot shots from behind a screen.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

:roll:
Delusion is rife in this one.
Sáncte Míchael Archángele, defénde nos in proélio, cóntra nequítiam et insídias diáboli ésto præsídium.

SAD GAL
Squad Player
Squad Player

Post by SAD GAL »

Thanks Michael. Please enlighten me with your views on season 2019/2020

Michael wrote:

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

SAD GAL wrote:Blind faith or optimism? The women's game has had blind faith for too long. Faith in SASI, faith in NTC. Faith in a myriad of AUF-W iterations. The game and the players deserve better.

I know they won't win the remainder of their games, as you've sarcastically posted. But it's not doom and gloom either. And my comments haven't been personal, as I don't even know who you are, and even if I did probably wouldn't know you personally.

I'm just suggesting that you maybe should watch them play. And then analyse their performance.

In the way
Promising Junior
Promising Junior

Post by In the way »

AUFC have matched all 3 teams they have played so far, only difference between them and top 3 sides is not converting their opportunities. I hope they work on their finishing skills during their bye weekend.

Looking at highlights of other matches from last week, Canberra were very lucky against Jets, Brisbane start well but died off in second half, they had two good chances in first 10 minutes against WSW easily been 2-0 up then WSW score and the momentum changes.
They started well last night and again looked slow in second half hope we exploit that next week.

What concerns me how we are conceding some of the goals by getting caught ball watching - 4 defenders versus two attackers inside the penalty box and neither attacker is marked, and we concede a goals ?
Our pace up front should tear Brisbane's slow defence apart in our next match, win that match we are back in the hunt.
Trying to remain positive.

juniorsupporter
Squad Player
Squad Player

From someone who has watched the games. Thanks In the Way. Nice analysis.

Michael
First Team Regular
First Team Regular

Post by Michael »

SAD GAL wrote:Thanks Michael. Please enlighten me with your views on season 2019/2020

Michael wrote:

Summed up perfectly by "In the way"
In the way wrote:AUFC have matched all 3 teams they have played so far, only difference between them and top 3 sides is not converting their opportunities. I hope they work on their finishing skills during their bye weekend.

Looking at highlights of other matches from last week, Canberra were very lucky against Jets, Brisbane start well but died off in second half, they had two good chances in first 10 minutes against WSW easily been 2-0 up then WSW score and the momentum changes.
They started well last night and again looked slow in second half hope we exploit that next week.

What concerns me how we are conceding some of the goals by getting caught ball watching - 4 defenders versus two attackers inside the penalty box and neither attacker is marked, and we concede a goals ?
Our pace up front should tear Brisbane's slow defence apart in our next match, win that match we are back in the hunt.
Trying to remain positive.